Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2019 9:33 am  #1

My theory on how to recruit at Duquesne

First and most importantly, the player and the coach have to have a good personal relationship.Where that player really wants to play for the coach and can go to the coach with any type of problem.

Secondly, the recruit and the school have to be a match. Where his course of studies is offered by the school. The coach has to have connections with the NBA to let the players know if they are good enough, they will be evaluated by people in the know. But, they must realize only one per cent make it to the NBA. The coach also has to have connections with professional overseas teams. After all, they are going to school to get a job, whether  it be in the real world or playing basketball somewhere.

Thirdly, ( players ego) the coach has to let the recruit know that if good enough to professionally that pro teams find players in the most obscure places, whether it be a small college or country. If it’s big crowds they want to play in front of, then they will have to be the pioneer to leading us to the larger crowds. Pittsburgh is a great sports town especially when supporting winning teams and Pittsburgh presently has a void for winning basketball teams. Let the recruit know that we use to fill the civic arena back in our glory days as well as Pitt use to sell out the Pete when they were on top of their game.

We must get every local kid with division 1 talent and fill out the team with players from areas where we play, like Va., Philly,  DC, New York, so their relatives can go and watch them play when we visit their area.

I believe 75 % of the reasons for most of the 800 or so transfers is because the coach that recruited them has left or got fired. Add to it the new coach is in a hurry to fill out a roster so he takes who he can and if it does not work out then find a better fit. That is where our Dukes are presently at and that is why you must give a coach four years to turn a program around.

Sorry I rambled the past few days, had some surgery and with the NCAA being over, I am getting bored.

4/12/2019 9:40 am  #2

Re: My theory on how to recruit at Duquesne

Wildwood13, I hope your recovery is going well.  Best Wishes!

4/12/2019 9:45 am  #3

Thank you, I appreciate it.

4/12/2019 2:59 pm  #4

First, get well soon, Wildwood13.

Second, I have been so confused this week that I asked my brother, who has coached high school basketball for a zillion years in Ohio and knows a little about KD, about this situation. Please note I have no inside information.

He said that KD is well regarded. His reputation is that he is tough but not abusive. So even if he tells a recruit he is tough, the player won't know how tough until practice starts. So if a player is pampered in high school or AAU (not uncommon these days), he and KD may not get along. Also he thought it was plausible that some players were told they had no future at DU--not revoking scholarships but just talking about playing time--since it happens all the time. Some coaches will try to find landing spots for players who leave this way. Finally he said that player loyalty to a school is at an all-time low; it's just not part of college basketball culture.

4/12/2019 5:16 pm  #5

Hope your recovery is going well.
Your point on local recruits.  It would be very nice to get a few of the better local D-2 players; but first there are very few that can actually play in the A-10 or higher.  Second, Duquesne basketball must make the NCAA Tourney before it can be attractive to local recruits.  KD has improved our local credibility; but the best local players are still looking to go elsewhere.  The only way to combat that thinking is to win big.

4/12/2019 5:42 pm  #6

scduke wrote:

First, get well soon, Wildwood13.

Second, I have been so confused this week that I asked my brother, who has coached high school basketball for a zillion years in Ohio and knows a little about KD, about this situation. Please note I have no inside information.

He said that KD is well regarded. His reputation is that he is tough but not abusive. So even if he tells a recruit he is tough, the player won't know how tough until practice starts. So if a player is pampered in high school or AAU (not uncommon these days), he and KD may not get along. Also he thought it was plausible that some players were told they had no future at DU--not revoking scholarships but just talking about playing time--since it happens all the time. Some coaches will try to find landing spots for players who leave this way. Finally he said that player loyalty to a school is at an all-time low; it's just not part of college basketball culture.

scduke, thanks for the insight from your brother. This totally aligns with what I have heard. I do know that KD is brutally honest with his players, almost to a fault. But I do think the top coaches in any sport are exactly that way in communication with their players.

4/12/2019 5:49 pm  #7

Thanks for the well wishes, shoulder and knee surgery are nothing compared to open heart by pass surgery but the doctors assured me and want me to be on the court next year officiating. But back to DU business, I really would have liked to see us get Tre Mitchell 6'8" out of Moon that is going to U Mass next year. I also would of like to seen us get 6' 4" shooting guard Danny Petcash from Pine who will be going to one of the Patriot league teams. Also this year and next year there are players in the Jason Duty class, that can play, they just don't have the hype just like Mr Duty. Next year tell Ethan Morton Butler HS (Big ten schools) and The Johnson kid from Moon ( Many Division one offers) to come and be a part of something big when we start winning and selling out the Paint Can. You have to dream big and sell all the recruits that our goal is to be Pittsburghs team like the late sixties and early seventies. After all that is why coach came here because deep down he knows it can happen.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (4/12/2019 5:52 pm)

4/13/2019 5:46 am  #8

Very nice to hope for those things; but reality is that guys like Ethan Morton have offers from the new National Champ UVA and other high profile schools with big arenas, regular national TV games and fan support.  He’s out of our league.  Johnson probably isn’t in Morton’s class; but will still attract some  P-5 offers especially since his brother Cam did so well at UNC.  Why would they settle for a chance of something happening that hasn’t happened in 42 years when they can go to a proven winner, at a better university, and play under the big lights? It just won’t happen  that way.  Even if Duquesne would make the NCAA Tournament next year, they won’t get P-5 guy’s local or otherwise.

4/13/2019 6:35 am  #9

The formula for success for city catholic universities has been to secure the local talent and fill in the pieces. Especially for schools that have been down. Examples in the early 70’s to mid 70’s Providence Earnie D and Marvin Barnes two locals turned that school into a final four. In the late 70’s to early 80’s at DePaul Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings and Teddy Grubbs all Chicago locals turned that program into a national power for years. In the mid 1980’s when everyone was taking the kids out of New York, little Louie convinced a Chris Mullen, Walter Berry and Mark Jackson to stay home and they made it to the final four. I could go on , but you get the picture, you have to convince the good locals to stay before you are able attract any one else. You tell them if you as a player are good enough they will find you, staying at DU is like being away from home, but if you get home sick, you are only a half hour drive to home. Be remembered as the players that turned the program around. They know more than any one that Pittsburgh supports a winning team. I could go on but you should see where I am going. You have to see the dream to realize it.

4/13/2019 7:20 am  #10

That’s all ancient history; not happening today!  You have to rebuild the brand before you can attract the best local players.  Right now it’s just not attractive enough to keep those guys home, at least at Duquesne.  You have to win and build a fan base first; and that is the hard part of the puzzle.

4/13/2019 8:14 am  #11

I would love to have a run like Lasalle did six years ago when 5 of their top six players were from Philly? You next excuse will be Philly is rich in basketball talent as they are but there a lot schools drawing from that area. So about Lipscomb this year where the top three players are from Their hometown of Nashville as well as half their roster.  When they are competing against Vanderbilt and Belmont for local talent. As a DU fan I would take either of those seasons.  I could name numerous teams that have been down like us but came back up through the local talent.  Why do you think coach said he wants to secure all the local talent when he first arrived at DU. You also must learn from history, however long ago it was that it worked.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (4/13/2019 8:19 am)

4/13/2019 8:27 am  #12

KD recognizes this, and I believe we are beginning to see this with local kids Maceo and Ellis.  Both of this kids are P-5 quality recruits.  

4/13/2019 3:06 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

KD recognizes this, and I believe we are beginning to see this with local kids Maceo and Ellis.  Both of this kids are P-5 quality recruits.  

Maceo may indeed be P5 quality, we will see. Getting Ellis was no great feat, it was a case of KD being willing to take a chance. P5 schools weren't after Ellis, because of the combination of his being quite raw, and having bad grades. KD was smartly willing to take a chance on a player that probably would have gone D2. Not at all similar to Maceo, who he had to battle good schools for. In a way, more similar to Carry, in that no schools were really after him. A "hidden diamond (we hope)" type deal.

4/14/2019 7:02 am  #14

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Maceo may indeed be P5 quality, we will see. Getting Ellis was no great feat, it was a case of KD being willing to take a chance. P5 schools weren't after Ellis, because of the combination of his being quite raw, and having bad grades. KD was smartly willing to take a chance on a player that probably would have gone D2. Not at all similar to Maceo, who he had to battle good schools for. In a way, more similar to Carry, in that no schools were really after him. A "hidden diamond (we hope)" type deal.

If coaches knew Ellis would qualify, competition for him would've been stiffer. Dambrot found a way to get him here where others could not or did not. He was heading to Junior college and I don't think we would've been able to land him if he got there.

Last edited by steve19981 (4/14/2019 7:02 am)

4/14/2019 7:15 am  #15

I'd add a couple of points to the how Duquesne should recruit:

1) stop promising early playing time. Now that Dambrot has his core in place, there isn't always going to be time available immediately. Talk instead about development and how the staff can improve aspects of their game. 

2) I don't expect Dambrot to do this as he didn't do a lot of it at Akron, but a Duquesne coach should be open to any avenue to add talent. Transfers, junior college transfers, grad transfers, prep school, traditional high school, foreign markets. Whatever you can get take it 

4/14/2019 10:31 am  #16

My take is that Duquesne has not been that tough to recruit to - just that coaches were either snakebit with injuries or were not up to the task for whatever reason.
Nee had some quality players - AJax and Keiron were legit A10 players and went on to have good pro careers. 
RE had quite a few talented players come through - but injuries really changed the trajectory of his coaching career. It is hard to say if any of the players in the shooting would have been A10 good, but there was a chance. If Melq doesn't get injured - I think that team dances. Later on, I think he was a little burned out from recruiting, as his later classes were not as solid as his earlier ones/
JF was snakebit too a little bit by injuries, but he did bring some talented players here. The kid from Toronto was allegedly his best recruit - but never really got to show much. If Jeremiah doesn't get hurt, I think that team could have been an NIT team. He had teams that could have been successful if they had a better system/coach.
I do think that KD is a better track record of player development than any of those three. (RE was good developing PG, but pretty much every other position was not great.) I also think that with the new arena and better resources and his history of success - KD will be a better recruiter at Duquesne. The question to me is more about keeping everyone healthy (as we saw this year with the injuries really slowing down what could have been  perhaps an NIT season (daresay more?)

Board footera