Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2019 6:39 am  #26

Re: Next Year’s Starting Five

Duques102 wrote:

The Dome wrote:

KD would have never wasted the spot on Steele unless he is an immediate impact player. We are all forgetting how badly this team got destroyed on the boards.

Exactly!

I'm not about to get swept up into a bunch of hype, only to be disappointed. Steele fills a need, and was the best grad transfer we could get. If he's a step above Chas Brown, he'll allow us to bring Ellis, and Rotroff along slowly. It's only a one year commitment, and allows KD to recruit for next fall without having to run a player off, or hope for attrition. I like the move, I just think those of you who think he's some kind of stud are living in a dream world. He looks like a useful piece, which is what we need. He gives us the option to move Mike to the 4, which will give us the size to compete on the boards. To me, the big question will be whether Mike is capable of playing the 4. If he is, and Steele/Ellis can do a passable job in the middle, this can be a very good team. If he can't make the move, then Steele becomes his backup in the middle, we get killed on the boards most games, and our ceiling is about where we finished this past year.

4/17/2019 7:29 am  #27

duq81 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

Hopefully we are now set, do not want to see any more roster changes. Therefore here is my starting five and their backups

Sin Carey. Dunn
L. Norman One of the Freshman
F. Hughes. Weathers
M. Hughes Rotroff
B. Steele. Ellis

I am going big because we got out rebounded so bad and we are going to use a three guard set. I would like to see better shot selection and maybe this will lead to better three point percentage.

I don't see Frank Hughes bumping Weathers to the bench. Weathers is actually a forward, and he's a much more consistent player, something that KD likes.

Jus wanted to jump in here re: Weathers; it would be a big plus for him and the team if he can work on his 3-point shot this summer.  His shot is much too flat to be consistent; possibly due to his upper body forward lean.  If he goes up straight, by bending at the knees more than the waist it will help him stay under the ball and give him the proper arc he needs on his shot.  It was painful to watch his form last season because it will never be a high percentage three point shot.  Bend at the knees, back straight, not leaning forward so much, not pushing the ball forward but up and out!

4/17/2019 7:31 am  #28

Steele in my opinion is no savior or stud. But, he has played an average of twenty minutes per game at the five while passing well and scoring moderately at the division one level. This allows Ellis time to develop and move Mike H. to the four spot. This also takes a lot of pressure off of Mike H. to be the only rebounder in a small lineup and play his more natural position of a power forward.  Rotroff will also benefit from this lineup by always coming in as a four instead of playing the five spot occasionally. Weathers will also benefit from this bigger lineup as he was too small to be an effective four. Whether F. Hughes or Weathers start at the three really does not matter to me. I feel getting Steele is just the perfect piece of the puzzle for our team, not that he is great but a great fit.

4/17/2019 7:38 am  #29

I think Hughes is more suited to play the 4. He would be defending kids closer to his size. He should have an easier time on his post up moves going against other teams 4. He's fairly quick. Coach said when he came he wanted to play big so I'm thinking he may want to give Hughes a look at the 4 and see what happens.

4/17/2019 7:53 am  #30

The Steele commitment is big because it should allow us to become a bigger team which will be needed in a much stronger A10 next year. I like Weathers at the 3. Two kids that I think need to become scorers are Lamar Norman, who showed he has the ability to put up numbers and Maceo Austin. For any freshman, the jump to college is huge. But if Maceo can develop quickly, he could play the combo guard/small forward spots. Hope he puts on 20 lbs. of muscle this summer!

4/17/2019 11:13 am  #31

81 Agreed

4/17/2019 11:56 am  #32

81 agreed.  I don't see Steele starting ...he should play 20+ minutes a game.

M Hughes was recruited by KD to back-up Isiah "Big Dog" Johnson .  Big Dog was a back-to-the-basket guy who could shoot in traffic and pass (similar to M Hughes).  KD has ALWAYS had 4s who can hit the 3 and spread the floor.  The last 3 years at Akron the 4 was manned by a guy recruited to be the SF....similar to Weathers.  Weathers can shoot but does not have the confidence yet to shoot the 3 often (he is the consummate team player).  I don't see M Hughes as a 4 except at certain times when the Dukes are playing "Big" with a lead or trying to change momentum.  Keep in mind that Weathers was the only guy who boxed out well this year.  M Hughes has not played much or practiced much the 2 years prior to last year.  He was a shot blocker and rim protector but was not good at blocking out....part of that was his desire to protect the rim. He will have to learn when to challenge shots while keeping his man off the boards.  I believe he will do a much better job next year. Based on what I see from M Hughes, his history and skill set and KD's history....I don't see M Hughes play a lot at the 4.  

Kelly has a high ceiling but was not able to stay on the floor last year until the final few games he played.  His injury set back his development.  Keep him in mind when you think of the high ceiling guys coming in this fall.  They may be athletic and have potential....but you need to be a basketball player to fit in to KD's system.   AND...play defense.  Williams had difficulty with that and now is gone.

https://247sports.com/player/michael-hughes-60709/

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (4/17/2019 12:13 pm)

4/17/2019 12:08 pm  #33

duq81 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

The Dome wrote:

KD would have never wasted the spot on Steele unless he is an immediate impact player. We are all forgetting how badly this team got destroyed on the boards.

Exactly!

It's only a one year commitment, and allows KD to recruit for next fall without having to run a player off, or hope for attrition. 

I have never known KD to run anyone off.  Ever.  There was one player at Akron named Aaron Jackson.  Athletic and could run and jump...but raw.  Every year the rumor was that Aaron would transfer out.  He never did...and KD never pushed him out.  His Sr. year he played 5-8 minutes a game.  Some have different goals and come to grips with not starting or being "the guy".  Another guy, Deji Ibatayo, never looked like he would contribute.  He struggled every year until he was a Sr and then was one of the best players on the team.  He too was athletic and raw.  If kids leave...they leave because they want more playing time than what they will get at Akron/Duq.  KD is brutally honest...most appreciate that.  From what I know...KD has always helped in getting a player to a good situation.  I think that is why he is held in such high regard by HS coaches.  Ohio, Texas, Michigan, Missouri and W Pennsylvania have been areas they continually go back to because of that reputation...KD and his staff.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (4/17/2019 12:14 pm)

4/17/2019 12:25 pm  #34

If M. Hughes does not move to four, we are going to get killed on the boards more than we did last year, and last year was pretty bad. I believe this will lead to less improvement as a team. The A ten is going to be a lot stronger next year than it was last year. If we don't improve we will be taking a major step backwards. I like Weathers, but he is too undersized to play the four in the A Ten, plus that lets the big of our opponent to be bigger and stronger than Mike H. at the center position.

4/17/2019 12:46 pm  #35

Wildwood13 wrote:

If M. Hughes does not move to four, we are going to get killed on the boards more than we did last year, and last year was pretty bad. I believe this will lead to less improvement as a team. The A ten is going to be a lot stronger next year than it was last year. If we don't improve we will be taking a major step backwards. I like Weathers, but he is too undersized to play the four in the A Ten, plus that lets the big of our opponent to be bigger and stronger than Mike H. at the center position.

Is the A10 getting a lot of P5 transfers on other teams??  Or will it be better because the A10 teams will improve because they have a year more of experience for younger players??  I am not sure the reason for the expected improvement in the A10.

4/17/2019 12:56 pm  #36

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

Is the A10 getting a lot of P5 transfers on other teams??  Or will it be better because the A10 teams will improve because they have a year more of experience for younger players??  I am not sure the reason for the expected improvement in the A10.

The A10 will be better because the league had very few key seniors last year, a big reason why the league was down. The best players were mostly underclassmen, so most of the teams will be bringing back the bulk of their rosters.

4/17/2019 12:59 pm  #37

I like MHughes & Weathers starting because of the effort, continuity, & chemistry. I also think that they are guranteed to be better in year 2 with their teammates & understanding the competition. There is not another obvious choice at the 4 unless Rotroff manages both to rehab & reinvent his game in the next 8 months.

.The point about MHughes needing to both rim protect & control the rebounding space is an important one. Failure to do so will result in opponents continuing to feast on the offensive glass & continued foul trouble.

However, I think some BIG lineup time is a must for the rebounding reasons detailed by others. Both of our starting bigs are undersized for their positions. That isn't going to change but the presumed first big off the bench appears to have.5 minute blasts of Steele & MHughes together will cause concern for almost every opponent.

I don't like Weathers at the 3 or the stretch 4. I don't see how his 3pt shooting can improve the enough to make this work. Other posts that speak about his form & confidence are correct; these are the main issues. He also doesn't have the ball handling skills. He is nearly 22 years old, had an entire, healthy transfer year to work on his shot, & still didn't quite get to 25% on 50+ largely uncontested attempts. ( I guess his dramatic improvement at the FT line does offer a bit of hope.)

4/17/2019 1:21 pm  #38

I think Steele will give us some great minutes when our two starters are sitting in foul trouble. I may be bias because I've wanted a big strong guy down low for a while but I think folks are going to love him. 

I like Kelly's personal story and wish him the best BUT I do not see anything there. His feet look like they are stuck in cement during his highlights tape. I don't think KD and staff are looking for him to do anything besides give 10 mins and rim protect. 

Roll Dukes Roll

4/17/2019 1:40 pm  #39

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

The A10 will be better because the league had very few key seniors last year, a big reason why the league was down. The best players were mostly underclassmen, so most of the teams will be bringing back the bulk of their rosters.

That is what I thought.  The Duq's were the youngest team in the conference right??  What makes people think other teams will improve more that the Dukes??  The Dukes will improve and so will the conference....they need to if they want to keep their 3+ bids per year and reputation.  I expect the Dukes to be in the top 5 every year now....and be in the top 3 most years.

Isiah "Big Dog" Jhonson (C) and Kwan Cheatham (PF) both were A students and graduated in 3 years at Akron (3 actual years without any redshirt years).  Both were great players and high character guys.  Cheatham had the higher pro potential and is doing well today as a pro.  Both could have left Akron as a grad transfer to better teams and conferences.  Both stayed and played their final year for KD at Akron.  Big Dog was the MAC player of the year.  I don't think the transfer issue the Dukes are experiencing now will continue.  Actually...I think KD expected transfers.  You can't bring in 8 alphas and not expect some to be disappointed and think they can do more in a better/different situation.  I wish them all well.  I also think that was the best way to build the program.  Putting scholarships in the cupboard benefits no one....not the team or players.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (4/17/2019 1:42 pm)

4/17/2019 2:08 pm  #40

Wether or not if you like Lewis and Williams, they were are two leading scorers the past two years. Meaning they did better than anyone else did putting up the points. Williams was our best rebounder the past two years. They both transferred out and some may say pushed out. Either way they are not here, and the top rebounders and scorers from many of the A ten top teams are returning.

4/17/2019 2:26 pm  #41

phil95 wrote:

I don't like Weathers at the 3 or the stretch 4. I don't see how his 3pt shooting can improve the enough to make this work. Other posts that speak about his form & confidence are correct; these are the main issues. He also doesn't have the ball handling skills. He is nearly 22 years old, had an entire, healthy transfer year to work on his shot, & still didn't quite get to 25% on 50+ largely uncontested attempts. ( I guess his dramatic improvement at the FT line does offer a bit of hope.)

If Weathers doesn't play the 3, who will? There's really no one else. A 3 has to be Dambrot's prime target for next year's class.

4/17/2019 2:30 pm  #42

Per Z Weiss twitter
It appears Gudmundson entering NBA draft with option to return to school
Grady also entering NBA draft
If both player go, then Davidson has some problems especially at this
time of the year to sign suitable replacements.

4/17/2019 2:57 pm  #43

Both Dayton and VCU have gotten a couple of P5 transfers.  Let’s also not forget that M Hughes frequently got into trouble on the defensive end. A wider rim protector can’t hurt.

Last edited by The Dome (4/17/2019 3:02 pm)

4/17/2019 3:24 pm  #44

Econ69 wrote:

Per Z Weiss twitter

Neither of these guys are in any of the major Top 100 draft prospect lists. Even Charlie Brown from SJU is topping out around 90th position. I expect the Davidson guys back.

Brown seems very committed & is already a bit old for NBA tastes. Though, I don't think he has hired an agent.

4/17/2019 4:22 pm  #45

phil95 wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

Per Z Weiss twitter

Neither of these guys are in any of the major Top 100 draft prospect lists. Even Charlie Brown from SJU is topping out around 90th position. I expect the Davidson guys back.

Brown seems very committed & is already a bit old for NBA tastes. Though, I don't think he has hired an agent.

I doubt Brown wants to deal with a new coach. I'll be surprised if he comes back.

4/17/2019 5:59 pm  #46

indygjm wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Carry, and Mike Hughes are the only locks to start. It then will depend on whether we get the grad from Akron. He'll likely start if he comes here, if not Weathers will start. Then the question will be if Ellis, or Rotroff is good enough to start. If not, Weathers becomes a lock, with Mike back at center. The last spot will be a wide open battle between Maceo, Frankie, and Lamar. All three will play, with KD playing a lot of 3 guard sets unless Ellis steps up and puts a stranglehold on a starting spot. TDM will back up both guard spots, but the two new guys will be given a chance to steal minutes from him. Weathers will play a lot whether he starts, or comes off the bench.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but in the highlight films for Ashton Miller, for a 6'5" player, he seems to have an incredible "handle".

Not familiar with the term "handle.".  I need an assist here. Thx

4/17/2019 7:55 pm  #47

wharfrat wrote:

indygjm wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Carry, and Mike Hughes are the only locks to start. It then will depend on whether we get the grad from Akron. He'll likely start if he comes here, if not Weathers will start. Then the question will be if Ellis, or Rotroff is good enough to start. If not, Weathers becomes a lock, with Mike back at center. The last spot will be a wide open battle between Maceo, Frankie, and Lamar. All three will play, with KD playing a lot of 3 guard sets unless Ellis steps up and puts a stranglehold on a starting spot. TDM will back up both guard spots, but the two new guys will be given a chance to steal minutes from him. Weathers will play a lot whether he starts, or comes off the bench.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but in the highlight films for Ashton Miller, for a 6'5" player, he seems to have an incredible "handle".

Not familiar with the term "handle.". I need an assist here. Thx

Ability to dribble.

4/17/2019 8:13 pm  #48

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

If Weathers doesn't play the 3, who will? There's really no one else. A 3 has to be Dambrot's prime target for next year's class.

The play of Weathers continuously got better during the year, and he shook off the shooting woes. The guy can shoot, and I don't think that he has a problem handling the ball. He seems comfortable with that, and he has some nice moves in a one-on-one situation. Style-wise he is not like Williams, who always drives full-speed towards the rim. Weathers uses tempo changes. I believe KD will keep him in the starting lineup, and Weathers will have a good season.

4/17/2019 8:16 pm  #49

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

Per Z Weiss twitter

I doubt Brown wants to deal with a new coach. I'll be surprised if he comes back.

I keep forgetting that they can now sign with an agent & return to college if they want. I know it exposes the players to some slimey agents but, in general, it must make for a much more informed decision on whether to stay in the draft or not.

Brown is something like 2.5 years older than EWilliams. He turned 22 on 2/2. Their FG shooting, assist, & turnover numbers are extremely similar. Brown is the far superior FT shooter & Eric has a large for rebounding advantage.

I can't help think Eric has a shot at being a much better prospect. Even after the transfer year he won't be 22 until after the 2021 draft.

I think Eric is making a very questionable move in that after having an awesome 3rd year at DU he would have been a hot prospect as a 20 year old 3 and D with great length & athleticism. He is far less sexy taking a year off & not getting a chance to shine until 20-21. The NBA developmental guys would much rather have a high ceiling 20 yearl old pick to work on a year early than have a Brown type that turns 23 half way through his rookie year.

Last edited by phil95 (4/17/2019 8:28 pm)

4/17/2019 9:15 pm  #50

phil95 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I keep forgetting that they can now sign with an agent & return to college if they want. I know it exposes the players to some slimey agents but, in general, it must make for a much more informed decision on whether to stay in the draft or not.

Brown is something like 2.5 years older than EWilliams. He turned 22 on 2/2. Their FG shooting, assist, & turnover numbers are extremely similar. Brown is the far superior FT shooter & Eric has a large for rebounding advantage.

I can't help think Eric has a shot at being a much better prospect. Even after the transfer year he won't be 22 until after the 2021 draft.

I think Eric is making a very questionable move in that after having an awesome 3rd year at DU he would have been a hot prospect as a 20 year old 3 and D with great length & athleticism. He is far less sexy taking a year off & not getting a chance to shine until 20-21. The NBA developmental guys would much rather have a high ceiling 20 yearl old pick to work on a year early than have a Brown type that turns 23 half way through his rookie year.

Depends on where he ends up. If he ends up at a Michigan level program, and gets major run, that will trump anything he could have done here because of the level of competition. Of course he could end up glued to the bench.

Board footera