Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2019 9:05 pm  #1

Junkanoo Jam

I cannot confirm this, but I saw a tweet saying that the other teams in this event are Indiana State, Air Force, and Loyola Marymount.

5/09/2019 5:42 am  #2

Re: Junkanoo Jam

Dukes2012 wrote:

I cannot confirm this, but I saw a tweet saying that the other teams in this event are Indiana State, Air Force, and Loyola Marymount.

Decent group. Mountain West, West Coast Conference, Missouri Valley. No dregs. I like it! If you want to take the next step, this is the level of team you have to be able to beat.

5/09/2019 6:43 am  #3

Yes that is pretty much confirmed.  LMU had a 22 win season last year but the other 2 did not crack top 200.  Good conferences nonetheless so a fine spot for us

5/09/2019 8:11 am  #4

Zac Weiss tweeted a few months ago that the Dukes will play in the following tournaments next year :

Junkanoo Jam in Bimini, Bahamas on Nov. 21-24, the St. Pete Shootout in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Dec. 21 & 22 and the Cleveland Classic on Dec. 29.

Last edited by CLK (5/09/2019 8:19 am)

5/09/2019 10:32 am  #5

Makes sense with no real home court next year; to play in a few tournaments at least two sunny locations!

5/09/2019 10:37 am  #6

I'd play as many road/neutral games as possible this season.  Set it up for as many home games in 2020-21 when our new place is open.
Also, its good to be in these tourns, get more eyes watching, possibly play in front of crowds bigger than 1500, bond as a team, and at worst get a nice vacation to warm weather.

5/09/2019 10:38 am  #7

Junkanoo Jam: two of Indiana State, Air Force, and LMU

Cleveland: Marshall

St. Pete: ???

5/09/2019 11:41 am  #8

Junkanoo is 3 games.

5/09/2019 11:46 am  #9

Also understood there will be a game in Akron again.  That would mean 7 neutral court games accounted for.

5/09/2019 12:15 pm  #10

kcc173 wrote:

Also understood there will be a game in Akron again.  That would mean 7 neutral court games accounted for.

I like this scheduling. Beats playing a bunch of scrub teams in a 90% empty PPG Paints arena.

5/09/2019 12:47 pm  #11

PPG sucks for hoops.  But at least we'll get in the club level for our games there, like last year vs PSU.  

5/09/2019 12:58 pm  #12

Dukes2012 wrote:

kcc173 wrote:

Also understood there will be a game in Akron again. That would mean 7 neutral court games accounted for.

I like this scheduling. Beats playing a bunch of scrub teams in a 90% empty PPG Paints arena.

I like it also, somewhat neutralizes playing on the road and reduces rental costs for the University.  Got to wonder how many OOC games will be played in Pittsburgh next season.  I would think DU is trying to schedule the best opponents available to increase attendance in PPG.  We should know in the next couple of months.  

5/09/2019 1:40 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

kcc173 wrote:

Also understood there will be a game in Akron again. That would mean 7 neutral court games accounted for.

I like it also, somewhat neutralizes playing on the road and reduces rental costs for the University.  Got to wonder how many OOC games will be played in Pittsburgh next season.  I would think DU is trying to schedule the best opponents available to increase attendance in PPG.  We should know in the next couple of months.  

You'd want to play a couple of the best teams that will be willing to return the game. Outside of our locals (Pitt, WVU, PSU), no P5 schools are coming here, so you look at the MVC, CUSA, maybe some of the second tier AAC teams, and try to get a couple of games there. Marshall is a good example of the type of team I'm talking about. If the Dukes could ever establish themselves as a true power in the A10, they might be able to land games vs schools like PC, although they might insist on the games being at PPG. VCU gets those types of games, the A10 also-rans don't.

Board footera