Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2019 1:10 pm  #1

Big Announcement

https://twitter.com/GoDuquesne/status/1126562748144455682?s=19

Athletics will unveil a new **** on May 15th.

Prepare yourselves

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/10/2019 1:36 pm  #2

Re: Big Announcement

I heard its a new logo because the students thought the Duke looked to mean and angry.  The new logo will look a lot like Pikachu.  

5/10/2019 1:47 pm  #3

So the students who are so interested in Athletics that they would rather do just about anything than actually go to a basketball game are now determining the logo fo athletics?  I can hardly wait!

5/10/2019 2:06 pm  #4

Haha always appreciate your insight levon1975 and your point is well taken although I will say student attendance was up for football and I think as hoops continues to improve the students will be back! Really no excuse for the poor student attendance in the first place. Thanks again

5/10/2019 2:18 pm  #5

They should offer 3 one credit courses, attend X amount of games in each of your first 3 years, get an extra 1 credit, free of charge.  In the long run, it means nothing, except to a few who fail a course or something, those 3 credits could mean graduating or not.

5/10/2019 5:37 pm  #6

Thanks Judge; I happen to like the logo as is!

5/10/2019 10:03 pm  #7

levon1975 wrote:

Best logo by far!

Last edited by duq81 (5/10/2019 10:07 pm)

5/11/2019 2:03 pm  #8

Thanks Duq81 for sharing and I like it and it's not so dramatically different that I have to throw away my old gear either!Haha

5/11/2019 3:06 pm  #9

I think the current logo is pretty bad, it's boring, and indistinct. It isn't embarrassing, though, at least. I'd prefer them to go to a throw back style, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The use of the word "edgy" in the teaser video is not encouraging that it is going to get better. 

5/11/2019 6:33 pm  #10

Possibly because of the lion in the seal?

I don’t hate the current logo, but it is very similar to every other school’s logo who went through the same design firm we used.

Last edited by Face (5/11/2019 6:34 pm)

5/12/2019 12:31 am  #11

Simms wrote:

Face wrote:

Possibly because of the lion in the seal?

I don’t hate the current logo, but it is very similar to every other school’s logo who went through the same design firm we used.

Agreed.  I suppose Lion= royalty?  Dukes are royal?  I agree with the Duke being too similar, but we are the Duke's, not the Lions.

True. But the seal has always had a lion in it so I’m going to be open-minded. Anyone with a DU Ring is wearing a lion on their finger.

Last edited by Face (5/12/2019 12:31 am)

5/12/2019 8:49 am  #12

The animal on the DU seal, and ring, is a griffin. It is a mythical creature with the body, tail and back legs of a lion, the head and wings of an eagle, and sometimes depicted with eagle's talons as its front feet.  Canisius already has this type of logo and are known as the Golden Griffins.

Last edited by CLK (5/12/2019 8:55 am)

5/12/2019 9:09 am  #13

I heard it’s going to be a dove representing the Holy Ghost as on the school’s coat of arms.  🕊

Seriously, leave the Duke alone.   It better not be a lion.  That would be as bad as the old “Duke” bear.

Last edited by coffee (5/12/2019 9:12 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

5/12/2019 11:31 am  #14

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Best logo by far!

Totally agree with Duq81 why not old school? Think about UCLA USC ALABAMA MICHIGAN OHIO STATE & of course the Fighting Irish. ALL classics & timeless. Looking at the Nike add who uses “Fierce”. Larry David on Curb did a whole show on people saying Fierce. If not the Duke hopefully the logo remembers this is a Catholic institution & avoid the current Nike BS cliche words regarding the new logo. Unfortunately probably already done. If logo is cool one would think  the bookstore online would immediately provide baseball caps sweat shirts & hoodies. Forget it makes too much sense it’s Duquesne. Cmon Dave don’t make the same mistakes as the Quinipiac Clown. Your batting 1000% so far as the current AD.

5/12/2019 12:18 pm  #15

I always thought that the current logo looked like Ron Everhart rideing a sled.  Stupid possibly but mean?  Isn't that just like this generation..."the Duke looks too mean."   I just hope they don't come up with some stupid cartoon like animal like James Madison Dukes did.

Last edited by CLK (5/12/2019 12:25 pm)

5/12/2019 12:33 pm  #16

Can we also please get rid of that goofy Steely McBeam and Bill Cowher’s brother the big headed Duke?  Embarrassing.

5/12/2019 10:22 pm  #17

CLK wrote:

The animal on the DU seal, and ring, is a griffin. It is a mythical creature with the body, tail and back legs of a lion, the head and wings of an eagle, and sometimes depicted with eagle's talons as its front feet.  Canisius already has this type of logo and are known as the Golden Griffins.

That’s not accurate, and is not reflective of what Duquesne’s own site says:

https://www.myduquesne.duq.edu/s/831/rd/interior.aspx?sid=831&gid=1&pgid=421

“The black lion on the silver shield was adopted directly from the arms of the Marquis de Duquesne, the noted French naval hero, who was himself a Protestant although his descendants later converted to Catholicism.”

Also note that the image shows no talons or wings, nor is the head an eagle’s.

While I understand why feels like a stretch to some, if they’re indeed incorporating a lion, it is absolutely in concert with the history and heritage of the university. The seal goes back nearly 100 years.

As a total aside: is there any kind of legit source for the students thinking the Duke was “too mean”? If so, can that be shared? If not, how about we lay off.

Last edited by Face (5/12/2019 10:44 pm)

5/13/2019 6:51 am  #18

To be honest, I was joking when I said it looked to mean.  But I can imagine today's youth thinking that way.
If they change the logo, I at least hope they stick with red and blue.  Some here wanted to go black and gold, and join yinzer nation.  I say no to that.  
But a new logo is a money grab and marketing ploy.  A lot of teams do it, I just hope we arent reacting to pitt.  AND, if we do, how about filling the bookstore and online store with new merch?  Shopping online at DU is like something out of the 1990s.

I still think our current logo is cool.  I like the mean look.  I like the colors.  I wouldnt change a thing.

Last edited by townsonkid (5/13/2019 6:53 am)

5/13/2019 7:37 am  #19

Face, thanks for the clarification and information. I was told way too many years ago it was a griffin. I stand corrected.  

5/13/2019 7:59 am  #20

Face wrote:

CLK wrote:

That’s not accurate, and is not reflective of what Duquesne’s own site says:

https://www.myduquesne.duq.edu/s/831/rd/interior.aspx?sid=831&gid=1&pgid=421

“The black lion on the silver shield was adopted directly from the arms of the Marquis de Duquesne, the noted French naval hero, who was himself a Protestant although his descendants later converted to Catholicism
Also note that the image shows no talons or wings, nor is the head an eagle’s.

While I understand why feels like a stretch to some, if they’re indeed incorporating a lion, it is absolutely in concert with the history and heritage of the university. The seal goes back nearly 100 years.

As a total aside: is there any kind of legit source for the students thinking the Duke was “too mean”? If so, can that be shared? If not, how about we lay off.

Face nice job. I did not know the Lion originated from Admiral Marquis de Duquesne family coat of arms. Did you know the Admirals statute is located in the Louvre in Paris in close proximity to the Duquesne hotel. However Fort Duquesne roots come from the first Governor of New France(Yinzer Alert) a.k.a Canada Michel-Ange Duquesne de  menneville. This fact gets to my point regarding 3rd non-yinzer uniforms.Black&Gold.The Dukes Nelson Twins uniforms were light blue very similar to the French soldiers serving in North America during the French & Indian war. That my friends follows the true past history of western PA & the University. Black& Gold enough of Yinzer Nation 24/7 for 3rd uniform. Again great job Face for a factual & intelligent post. “Make this Board Great Again”

5/13/2019 9:33 am  #21

townsonkid wrote:

To be honest, I was joking when I said it looked to mean.  But I can imagine today's youth thinking that way.

I can understand that. I think the subsequent “kids these days” style judgements that it spawned were disappointing though.

No ill will to anyone! Just want to avoid an “eat our young” culture.

Last edited by Face (5/13/2019 9:39 am)

5/13/2019 9:38 am  #22

CLK wrote:

Face, thanks for the clarification and information. I was told way too many years ago it was a griffin. I stand corrected.  

My pleasure.

I have a lot of random DU historical knowledge. I wish I knew more, or that there were more reliable sources for it. If there were I’d try to write a book about it... different from the existing one, focusing more on the history of school spirit in times good and bad. Especially the school songs and the people who wrote them, even the obscure ones like “The Dukes of Duquesne.” And no one knows much at all about “The Duquesne Hymn.”

We get Gumberg Library access for life, don’t we? Maybe I should look into this...

Last edited by Face (5/13/2019 9:42 am)

5/13/2019 10:06 am  #23

Face wrote:

CLK wrote:

My pleasure.

I have a lot of random DU historical knowledge. I wish I knew more, or that there were more reliable sources for it. If there were I’d try to write a book about it... different from the existing one, focusing more on the history of school spirit in times good and bad. Especially the school songs and the people who wrote them, even the obscure ones like “The Dukes of Duquesne.” And no one knows much at all about “The Duquesne Hymn.”

We get Gumberg Library access for life, don’t we? Maybe I should look into this...

There's a reason you were always the best fan in the Red and Blue Crew!  You knew our history and brought back the Mossie Cheer.  I'd still love to see it return, but we need more numbers.  Good info on the lion.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/13/2019 11:09 am  #24

Face wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I can understand that. I think the subsequent “kids these days” style judgements that it spawned were disappointing though.

No ill will to anyone! Just want to avoid an “eat our young” culture.

Its all good, I like the logo we have now, am kind of afraid what might come out next.   That 70s style Duke was slick tho!!!  Instead of black and gold for city game, go old school next time with those throwback unis.

5/13/2019 11:46 am  #25

Here's the new logo.  It will be a merchandising bonanza.

Board footera