Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2019 7:56 pm  #1

New Gear Came - Thoughts

When they put up the fan shop, I grabbed a hat, dri-fit tee, and a long sleeved tee.

The Hat

I have a large head so ordering one-size-fits-all hats without trying them on is always a gamble. This one fits perfectly. It looks nice but it is admittedly a little plain, with the D on the front and a Nike swoosh. I wish there was a DUQ on the back of the hat. Still, it is VERY comfy so I can't complain.

Short Sleeved Dri-Fit Tee

This is wonderful. Fits super well and is actually somewhat slimming. I’ll be wearing this for just about everything - chores, exercise, yard work, or just a lazy day. A+.

Long Sleeved Tee

This is a slimmer fit but it doesn't feel too tight anywhere. It's actually pretty comfy. I can move well in it and the length is good for a taller guy like me. It is somewhat thin so depending on your skin tone you may not love this one. It has a tag on the one shoulder that you can easily see through the fabric.

Overall though I'm happy with my choices. However, it all was basically screenprint on existing Nike gear. I’d have liked to see some more exciting options. I know that’s coming and this was just for crazies like me to get stuff early.

---

What did yinz get?

Last edited by Face (6/11/2019 11:05 pm)

6/12/2019 9:06 am  #2

Re: New Gear Came - Thoughts

Face wrote:

When they put up the fan shop, I grabbed a hat, dri-fit tee, and a long sleeved tee.

The Hat

I have a large head so ordering one-size-fits-all hats without trying them on is always a gamble. This one fits perfectly. It looks nice but it is admittedly a little plain, with the D on the front and a Nike swoosh. I wish there was a DUQ on the back of the hat. Still, it is VERY comfy so I can't complain.

So, don't wear your hat backwards and you don't have to worry about no "DUQ".

6/12/2019 3:58 pm  #3

My new blue Duke's hat arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to showcase it with friends and neighbors (and Giant Eagle strangers). A friend who I have tried for years to convert from Spitt to Duquesne got it right away when he guessed the new logo. After that experience, things did't go so well. Three close friends and one neighbor could not tell me who the logo represented.After giving each a hint that the logo is a D, three of the four could not see a D. One thought it looked like the number one.
The action noted above do not represent my opinions of the new hat. I am only the messenger of my experience. I like the hat, plan on wearing it as often as circumstances permit, and am 110% onboard with Duquesne's new direction. However, I am concerned whether this might be an obstacle with the non-Duquesne public.
Any thoughts or opinions?  

6/12/2019 7:12 pm  #4

Got my gear hat & Golf shirt. Was originally an old fart but wrong looks great. My golfing buddies va tech, Virginia, W&M, PSU, OSU, & Duke loved the logo. Congrats to Dave great job. The days of the Quinipiac Clown are gone. Thank God. Go Dukes! Get your gear & represent bluff nation my friends.

6/13/2019 9:15 am  #5

Me got a golf shirt, long sleeve T and a hoodie.  The hoodie is real nice, the logo on the front pocket is sweet, but wont wear that for a while.  The golf shirt, white with logo and swoosh, is nice, its the average Nike golf jersey, i like it cause its basic yet says Duquesne below the new logo.  The long sleeve is a little slimmer design, but nice material, will def be wearing that a a lot in the fall/winter wherever I go(Giant Eagle :-)).
Overall I am satisfied with everything i purchased.
I might wear the golf shirt tomorrow for my Friday night league.

Last edited by townsonkid (6/13/2019 9:16 am)

6/13/2019 5:08 pm  #6

My lowly opinion is that D is ugly!
Please don't ever change the ring which is recognized world wide.  I wonder if there were any focus groups to give opinions on that "D"...looks like something armpitt would do and I can imagine us getting rid of it in 5 years.

6/13/2019 9:59 pm  #7

FAM wrote:

My lowly opinion is that D is ugly!
Please don't ever change the ring which is recognized world wide.  I wonder if there were any focus groups to give opinions on that "D"...looks like something armpitt would do and I can imagine us getting rid of it in 5 years.

Dude... the gothic D has never been the primary athletic logo, certainly not in the modern era. Even the prior logo set which featured the stylized D as a secondary logo wasn't the same D as the one on the ring. 

When we had the block letter D logo, with the arched "Dukes" in front of it, were you scared that they were going to change the ring then?

What about the Colleary-era "Duquesne Dukes" logo (it was pretty lame) ... nothing gothic in it. Very boring sans-serif font. Did they change the rings?

What about the basketball-playing Duke? Did he replace the D on the ring?

Of course not.

This is getting worried or upset over nothing. The athletic logo is and has been distinct from university branding. Why would this be different? 

Last edited by Face (6/14/2019 7:52 am)

6/14/2019 9:38 am  #8

Love the new logo! Looking forward to sporting it on a trip through the Midwest later this summer and not getting sideways looks for the gothic D on my head when in Chicago. Problem is...I didn’t order before the store closed. Anyone have insight on when this gear will be broadly available? Seems they’d want to have it going before campus gets busy again.

Go Dukes!

6/14/2019 10:47 am  #9

Hey Face,
No Dude, wasn’t frightened over any of the other “D” issues, but I haven’t slept in weeks since they changed it.  The basketball playing Duke wasn’t a letter.   Visions of “D”’s dancing in my head.  Still think it is ugly compared to the other ones, but I’ll live with it, especially after I go get some “D” change therapy.

6/14/2019 8:36 pm  #10

Mulder wrote:

Face wrote:

The Hat

So, don't wear your hat backwards and you don't have to worry about no "DUQ".

I think once the hates come fitted, you will see the DUQ on the back.  At least I hope so.  I live the DUQ logo.  Hence my avatar

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

6/14/2019 8:38 pm  #11

z duke wrote:

Love the new logo! Looking forward to sporting it on a trip through the Midwest later this summer and not getting sideways looks for the gothic D on my head when in Chicago. Problem is...I didn’t order before the store closed. Anyone have insight on when this gear will be broadly available? Seems they’d want to have it going before campus gets busy again.

Go Dukes!

I emailed Dave and Megan Jarling to express my happiness over the logo.  In the email, Megan said the bookstore expects stuff by August (which Megan approved) and that she is trying to get the new gear into Dicks as well.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

6/19/2019 12:34 pm  #12

Wore my new golf shirt to work today, already got compliments, and a lady working on my floor, not in my area, asked how I got the new logo already, ends up she worked in the athletic dept during her time at DU.  I didnt get her name, we were walking thru the hallway.  But so far, the new look is getting positive reactions.

6/19/2019 1:04 pm  #13

It took a couple days from the logo announcement to get used to the logo because it was SO different from what we had before.  I got tshirts for myself, my wife and my mom, and I picked up a couple of hats for myself as well. 

Some coworkers at the full time job were checking out the new logo and said "That's pretty cool!"

I know the logo also has some detractors on my social media posts as well but you're never going to please everyone. 

I can't wait to see the new uniforms with the new logo on it. 

Board footera