Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2019 5:25 pm  #1

6/12/2019 9:02 pm  #2

Re: Dukes offer TJ's sister

Ummmm. She is a good smart player but will have to work to become an A10 level player. Maybe Coach is just being politically correct here.

After reflecting on this thought, I realize this is exactly what was being said about T.J.  And, look how that turned out. So, who knows?

Last edited by HookShot (6/13/2019 8:39 am)

6/13/2019 9:29 am  #3

I dont even know why anyone would second guess this recruiting.  2nd team all state as a junior, family tree, local player who might get a few more people to the games, and espn grades her out pretty well.  
If she is willing, I think DU would welcome her arms open wide.

6/13/2019 9:38 am  #4

If the goal is to recruit players with the basketball IQ and tools to get Duquesne back to the WNIT, I think Megan McConnell is a good choice.

If the goal is to get the Dukes back to the NCAA, they need more physically athletic and gifted talent, as well as exceptional length.  

6/13/2019 10:28 am  #5

and recruiting one player with basketball IQ who can run the offense at a high tempo, ruins all chances of a NCAA?  Ok, got it.  
I understand we need more power to get to the next level, but not every player needs to be in the same mold, you might need a smaller, quicker PG/SG who can move the ball, move without the ball, pass, play defense and be a coach on the court.   If she can offer that, I dont know why an A10 would pass that up.  

Last edited by townsonkid (6/13/2019 10:34 am)

6/13/2019 5:10 pm  #6

Agree with you that a PG with the skills you mention is valuable, but doesn't Duquesne already have such a player in Libby- who is also showing the ability to score?

Recruiting is a very tough business these days, but if one compares the recent Duquesne teams with the squad that won 28 games, made the NCAA, and defeated Seton Hall in the first round- the difference in talent and athleticism is significant.  I would argue the Dukes need another April Robinson, another Dev. Workman and another Amadea Szamosi. Each of those players brought a unique skill set and they blended incredibly well under Dan's coaching.

6/13/2019 9:48 pm  #7

sperlman wrote:

Agree with you that a PG with the skills you mention is valuable, but doesn't Duquesne already have such a player in Libby- who is also showing the ability to score?

Recruiting is a very tough business these days, but if one compares the recent Duquesne teams with the squad that won 28 games, made the NCAA, and defeated Seton Hall in the first round- the difference in talent and athleticism is significant.  I would argue the Dukes need another April Robinson, another Dev. Workman and another Amadea Szamosi. Each of those players brought a unique skill set and they blended incredibly well under Dan's coaching.

Sperlman:  Given that Libby is entering her Junior Year -  A "Replacement Type" needs to be secured -  Have not seen any of the four incoming freshmen - while Amanda Kalin  is not a bad ball handler -  Don't view her as the same type of player Libby is (not to mention SHE is also entering her junior year as well) I Don't see any similar players in the program presently.  I don't think Dev and Amadea were highly recruited but developed into the players they were -  the same applies to Libby and the hope here is that some of the four in the present freshman class achieve that (as well as some future recruits)  While Halle can't approach Amadea's Offensive skills -  Hopefully her defense continues to improve - she does seem more athletic than Amadea was.

Despite the larger number of International Players presently in the program -  I think it is still MUCH easier for Duquesne  to convince a local player to sign  I also think the staff would have a clearer picture as to their chances of getting committments from local players as opposed to International ones -  - hence the recruitment of McConnell and Myers etc. (both of whom have some connection to Duquesne (even if it is one some of us dislike) - as for me NO grudges towards TJ and Suzie.

6/14/2019 6:22 am  #8

SkepticAl wrote:

as for me NO grudges towards TJ and Suzie.

Same here, Al.  I'll be cheering for her if she becomes a Duke.

6/14/2019 5:26 pm  #9

Agree with Skeptic Al about the need for a new PG with Libby entering her junior season, but respectfully disagree re. his comments about Dev. and Amadea.  Dev. Workman was a JC All-American and recruited by a number of DIV 1 schools before she chose Duquesne.  Dev. came to the Dukes (already) with great athleticism and offensive skills.  Amadea was also recruited by several Div. 1 schools and was considered the best young post in Europe (Dan's quote).  She came to Duquesne (already) with great skill sets, but she lacked strength, so she was put on a strengthening program.  Her skill sets never really changed, but she got stronger each season.

6/15/2019 4:01 pm  #10

She gave a verbal to DU today.

6/15/2019 5:41 pm  #11

townsonkid wrote:

She gave a verbal to DU today.

Yes she did.   I guess if we listen to “experts” we are WNIT bound.    🙄

This non-expert is happy with the signing

6/15/2019 6:45 pm  #12

Per the PG she will be redshirted her freshman year.   I guess the WNIT will have to wait another year.

Last edited by A83 (6/15/2019 6:53 pm)

6/15/2019 10:16 pm  #13

We now have two commitments for 2020: Megan and 6’3” Lindsey Linard from Medina Ohio. Both will redshirt. Coach believes in the extra year and since he has had only one transfer in his years, this seems like a good move. Welcome to each of these ladies!

6/15/2019 11:36 pm  #14

If Megan is indeed going to be redshirted, it proves my earlier point.  She is currently not the caliber of player who will elevate the team right away; maybe in a few season.  Now think back to what April Robinson did when she came out of W. Springfield HS in Virginia and was the starting PG for the Dukes her first season.

It was my understanding that Lindsey was also going to be redshirting her first year.  If that has not changed, then (2) incoming freshmen for 2019-2020 are being redshirted and (2) more for 2020-2021 = that's 4 redshirts.  Unusual, but it may turn out to be a smart move in the long run.  Dan once told me (in hindsight) he wished he had redshirted Amadea instead of playing her limited minutes when she was a freshman.

All four can develop and become impactful players over time.  The best example I ever saw was UC Davis' Morgan Bertsch who was redshirted her first year and at the end of her senior year (this past March), was a WNBA selection.  - and for the jerk (Serf?) who always has a problem with my comments - Yes, I watched Morgan play Stanford twice this past season @ Maples and she was awesome.  I'm a Stanford season ticket holder.  The same can happen with any of the Duquesne players. 

Good luck you guys!  Always wishing you the best.

6/16/2019 6:08 am  #15

I’m the jerk serf that always has problems with your comments.   Because you are always damming with faint praise.   I do love the Stanford and all your glorious PAC 12 name drops.   Threw in UC Davis for good measure too.

Last edited by A83 (6/16/2019 6:13 am)

6/16/2019 6:24 am  #16

sperlman wrote:

If the goal is to recruit players with the basketball IQ and tools to get Duquesne back to the WNIT, I think Megan McConnell is a good choice.

If the goal is to get the Dukes back to the NCAA, they need more physically athletic and gifted talent, as well as exceptional length.  

Please tell me how this is a compliment in any way?    You start out with a shot.   Coach Burt’s goal is not to get DU to the WNIT.   He has said that repeatedly. 

Telling a player or a recruit she is good enough to get you to the WNIT is a shot.  Plain and simple.   You said almost the exact same thing about Tess Myers.  WNIT caliber. 

Then you go on with your verbal diarrhea and name dropping.   You’ve been doing the same stuff for nearly 2 years now.   Shot, justification and then name dropping.   

You always work in “when I talked to Coach Burt” in there as well.

6/16/2019 7:03 am  #17

If I'm not mistaken DU also received a commitment from a player from Uniontown High School Early last year - She is/was somewhat of a big and a prospect - throughout the season she attracted little fan fare.  I don't know if this still holds, she's "reopened her recruiting or what" This is/was the FIRST indication of the Linard Signing on the board.

April Robinson was a GENERATIONAL PLAYER -  Her Number was RETIRED four years after she left - she is ARGUABLY the SECOND BEST PLAYER in School History!! Korie Hlede was ONE OF A KIND!! To recruit "another April Robinson" is a MAJOR REACH -  As for Morgan Bresch -  How many similar players did Cal Davis recruit before they hit the jack pot with her??  

While the goal is to make the NCAA - appearing in the NIT is NOTHING to be ashamed of -  The year of the Dukes "Dream Team" - THREE teams from the A-10 made it (DU GW and St. Bonnie) -  It can be a factor of how good the OTHER teams in your league are -  If the teams like RI, LaSalle etc improve - the wins now over them can carry a little more weight.  Had Fordham NOT beaten VCU on the conference tournament -  I think the A-10 would have been a one league bid this year as well.

Welcome to the Bluff Megan, and Lindsey!!

6/16/2019 8:07 am  #18

6/16/2019 9:59 am  #19

Good to hear Megan has committed to the Dukes!  I will definitely get out to see her play in the upcoming season.  If Megan works as hard as TJ does to improve her game; i’m confident  she will silence any doubters on this board and become a solid A-10 player.

I don’t buy into this argument regarding players being WNIT  and not NCAA players when the difference is just a matter of which team gets the bid and has nothing to do with one player’s talent level in high school.  Certainly Duquesne has had some talented teams that were deserving of an NCAA bid, but were snubbed due to Power 5 politics in the selection process.  Did that make those players any less talented?  NO!

6/16/2019 10:51 am  #20

Who is Lindsey that is being referred to?    Is she the recruit from Uniontown?

6/16/2019 10:53 am  #21

A message to A83/Serf- I compliment your unconditional loyalty to Duquesne.  I don't have that loyalty - so good for you.  I don't look at your team with rose-colored glasses. For the eleven seasons I have actively followed the Dukes, I have formed good relationships with the coaches, players and families of players, cheered for them, sweated out the close games, become emotionally devastated over tough losses and celebrated their victories, but (and this is the part you don't like), I have also offered constructive criticisms accordingly. I would love to see Duquesne become a regional mid-major power (be the Gonzaga of the East), but that could be wishful thinking on my part.

I have the same level of involvement with (8) other Div. 1 programs besides Duquesne and have the same philosophy- call  them as I see them.  I call it 'tough love', which you don't buy into, but that's OK.

So again, kudos to you for your unconditional loyalty.  

6/16/2019 11:02 am  #22

SkepticAl wrote:

If I'm not mistaken DU also received a commitment from a player from Uniontown High School Early last year - She is/was somewhat of a big and a prospect - throughout the season she attracted little fan fare.  I don't know if this still holds, she's "reopened her recruiting or what" This is/was the FIRST indication of the Linard Signing on the board.

April Robinson was a GENERATIONAL PLAYER -  Her Number was RETIRED four years after she left - she is ARGUABLY the SECOND BEST PLAYER in School History!! Korie Hlede was ONE OF A KIND!! To recruit "another April Robinson" is a MAJOR REACH -  As for Morgan Bresch -  How many similar players did Cal Davis recruit before they hit the jack pot with her??  

While the goal is to make the NCAA - appearing in the NIT is NOTHING to be ashamed of -  The year of the Dukes "Dream Team" - THREE teams from the A-10 made it (DU GW and St. Bonnie) -  It can be a factor of how good the OTHER teams in your league are -  If the teams like RI, LaSalle etc improve - the wins now over them can carry a little more weight.  Had Fordham NOT beaten VCU on the conference tournament -  I think the A-10 would have been a one league bid this year as well.

Welcome to the Bluff Megan, and Lindsey!!

I think you are referring to Mya Murray.   And she is now going to Brown

6/16/2019 11:05 am  #23

sperlman wrote:

A message to A83/Serf- I compliment your unconditional loyalty to Duquesne.  I don't have that loyalty - so good for you.  I don't look at your team with rose-colored glasses. For the eleven seasons I have actively followed the Dukes, I have formed good relationships with the coaches, players and families of players, cheered for them, sweated out the close games, become emotionally devastated over tough losses and celebrated their victories, but (and this is the part you don't like), I have also offered constructive criticisms accordingly. I would love to see Duquesne become a regional mid-major power (be the Gonzaga of the East), but that could be wishful thinking on my part.

I have the same level of involvement with (8) other Div. 1 programs besides Duquesne and have the same philosophy- call  them as I see them.  I call it 'tough love', which you don't buy into, but that's OK.

So again, kudos to you for your unconditional loyalty.  

It’s not about unconditional loyalty.  Or about constructive criticism. Or rose colored glasses.

It’s about you jumping on this board with something negative to say under the disguise of constructive criticism.    Always damning with faint praise. 

Signed
The Jerk.

6/16/2019 11:12 am  #24

So here is my challenge to you- What is your vision of 'success' for Duquesne and how does the program get there?

Oh,  and as for your comment that I always throw in something negative--- Here's a 100% positive post:

I believe out of all of Dan's recruits, that Bernada Rreshpja from California (via Albania) can be a transformational player for the Dukes before her career is over.

6/16/2019 11:26 am  #25

sperlman wrote:

So here is my challenge to you- What is your vision of 'success' for Duquesne and how does the program get there?

Oh,  and as for your comment that I always throw in something negative--- Here's a 100% positive post:

I believe out of all of Dan's recruits, that Bernada Rreshpja from California (via Albania) can be a transformational player for the Dukes before her career is over.

My hopes are for contending for the A10 championship every year with a chance of going to the NCAA tournament.    Which Coach Burt has done.   

I’m not going to pick apart every player and recruits’ weaknesses   I’m just a fan.  Not an expert like you.   I say hello to the players family’s at the games who I recognize and the coaching staff when I see them at men’s bb games or football games. 

I don’t have the close personal relationship that you do with all the players, coaches and families.  It must be rough on you going to 15 or 16 houses on Thanksgiving.

I’ll let Coach Burt run his program with AD Harper running the administration.  I trust them.   

That’s the opinion of this jerk.

Board footera