Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2019 8:06 pm  #1

Pitt vs Duquesne at Heinz Field... It's time

Its no longer just a fantasy...

https://pittsburghsportscastle.com/2019/07/21/cinello-pitt-duquesne-should-meet-in-football-annually/

Last edited by coffee (7/26/2019 8:06 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

7/28/2019 2:59 am  #2

Re: Pitt vs Duquesne at Heinz Field... It's time

While it's likely that if they wanted to play us it would have happened already, it's certainly possible now that we give scholarships and therefore could count as a win towards bowl eligibity for them. So a one-off game or maybe even every few years is no longer a fantasy (but the earliest it could happen would be 2023). It's possible we could take Youngstown State's spot as Pitt's go-to local FCS opponent (they've played five times since 2005). An annual game vs. Pitt is never going to happen though unless we are playing on the same level as them because there are too many issues with an annual FBS vs. FCS matchup.

Obviously home field is an issue. We'd have to get a guarantee fee from them every year to play since they'd never give us a home game no matter how slanted the numbers were. If they are scheduling us to bring in more money they aren't going to pass that increase on to us. Even if we could work out financial terms, playing the same team year after year at their place with no hope of a home game doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, the FBS teams schedule these games as cake walks they can bring their B game to and still cruise by. Sure every once and awhile an FCS team wins, but that still doesn't change the intent. Playing annually allows the lower team a level of familiarity that could tip the scale in their favor  more than the host would want.

About 1/3 (43 of 130) of the FBS teams have an FCS opponent they've played three or more times since 2000, but the most played of these matchups is Iowa St. vs. Northern Iowa with 11 games. Only four others (Arizona vs. Northern Arizona, Duke vs. NC Central, Temple vs. Villanova, and Virginia vs. Richmond) have been played even 7 times in those 19 seasons. Duke vs. NC Central has been played the last four seasons, but they won't meet again until at least 2022. That's also the only such matchup to be played more than two seasons in a row since 2000.

I usually don't like being a sacrificial lamb, but I'm happy to see us scheduling FBS games. The pay days are big and seeing the Dukes against top level competition is fun. Obviously Pitt would be the most desirable FBS opponent and it's great that that game is no longer a dream. Let's be realistic though. Even if it does happen, there's no chance it will be an annual game.

Last edited by luckymcd (7/29/2019 7:07 am)

7/29/2019 9:22 am  #3

coffee wrote:

Did I miss something? There's no source here. There's no indication that Pitt is considering playing Duquesne at all here. This is still entirely fantasy

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

7/29/2019 9:08 pm  #4

Respectfully I am going to disagree with you Yak and I believe that it is very close to happening. Will the Dukes have their hands full  .absolutely.  I have it on pretty good authority that Air Force and BC are likely future FBS games and already a contract with WVU. I definitely think that we need to show Pitt that we deserve the game and upset YSU. Pretty sure that we were better than Albany last year.Perhaps until the deal is done it is fantasy but look for it to happen in the next 5 years

7/30/2019 8:32 am  #5

yak-rbc wrote:

coffee wrote:

Did I miss something? There's no source here. There's no indication that Pitt is considering playing Duquesne at all here. This is still entirely fantasy

There is no public sign that it is being considered. When I said it's no longer a fantasy I just meant it could potentially happen. Ten years ago it was a fantasy because they couldn't possibly schedule us. With us facing other FBS teams, the discussion can at least happen now. That is all I meant by it's not a fantasy. The idea of an annual series like the column suggests still is though.

7/30/2019 2:27 pm  #6

Agree with you that an annual game under your assessment might be unlikely but Villanova Temple comes close and whether it could get to a similar point with Duquesne football and Pitt is not crazy either.  I do believe that there are a whole lot of people in Pittsburgh including many Duquesne alumni who think the football quality is  W and J ( no disrespect to geeat D3 Prexies)level,  if they think about Duquesne football at all.  I also know that there were discussions in the past with Pitt and their previous AD and many thought it was going to happen by now.  ACC  supposedly had a no FCS policy for awhile but most conferences have done away with it. Remember also that Coach Narduzzi said it should happen just last season. Good points everyone but look for the City game in football as going to happen and  closer to reality than fantasy! Also thank you for the interesting comments and posts on football!

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (7/30/2019 6:49 pm)

7/31/2019 12:04 am  #7

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Agree with you that an annual game under your assessment might be unlikely but Villanova Temple comes close and whether it could get to a similar point with Duquesne football and Pitt is not crazy either. I do believe that there are a whole lot of people in Pittsburgh including many Duquesne alumni who think the football quality is W and J ( no disrespect to geeat D3 Prexies)level, if they think about Duquesne football at all. I also know that there were discussions in the past with Pitt and their previous AD and many thought it was going to happen by now. ACC supposedly had a no FCS policy for awhile but most conferences have done away with it. Remember also that Coach Narduzzi said it should happen just last season. Good points everyone but look for the City game in football as going to happen and closer to reality than fantasy! Also thank you for the interesting comments and posts on football!

Temple / Villanova would be a good model since that is also an intracity matchup with the FBS team playing in the NFL stadium. That series has been four years on, four years off, two years on, at least two years off though. 

I totally agree with you about the public perception of Dukes football. Washington and Jefferson is a suitable comparison, as a once national power now playing at a lower level. Sadly they average almost 1,000 more fans per game in attendance. We've been winning recently, and it looks like that will continue, but even that won't change the perception if nobody is seeing those games. A game with Pitt would be huge. Even a game at Highmark, as has been much discussed here, would be a novelty that might bring some eyes. I remember in my days seeing Rooney Field jam-packed for high school games on Friday nights and then half empty for Dukes games on Saturdays.

I don't doubt some ACC official said at one point or another that the conference was doing away with FCS games. Actually doing it is another story though. In the past 11 seasons, the 14 ACC teams have played 162 games against FCS opponents. That's right, more than one per team per season on average.

7/31/2019 6:27 am  #8

Thanks for sharing and I  didn't know that especially on     ACC and FCS games.  I think they were debating the rule...remember the WVU coach a couple of years back suggested that FBS should quit playing FCS and pretty sure that the Big Ten debated it too. My overall understanding to Yaks points are I believe that it is going to happen and discussion has happened in the past with Pitt

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (7/31/2019 6:28 am)

8/02/2019 2:11 am  #9

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Thanks for sharing and I didn't know that especially on ACC and FCS games. I think they were debating the rule...remember the WVU coach a couple of years back suggested that FBS should quit playing FCS and pretty sure that the Big Ten debated it too. My overall understanding to Yaks points are I believe that it is going to happen and discussion has happened in the past with Pitt

That's actually my exact point. Lots of entities have "suggested" stopping FBS vs. FCS games. No one actually has done it. West Virginia has played an FCS team every year since 2008 and 15 of the last 17 years overall. The 14 Big Ten teams played 116 games vs. FCS teams from 2006-2016 (an average of .75 per team per season). They actually did move to discourage the games and there were only three in 2017 (two of them by the two newest additions to the league) and three again last year. There are four scheduled for this year though, eight in 2020, four in 2021, eight in 2022, four in 2023, and five in 2024.

I don't have inside sources at all anymore. So I was not aware the discussions actually have happened with Pitt. That is exciting news. Together with Narduzzi's comments last season, that probably means it's a matter of when and not if the game actually happens.

8/02/2019 4:51 pm  #10

Again thanks for the research and I appreciate your numbers...interesting and informative.I also appreciate your interest in Duquesne football and I am going to see if I can get some more information on a  possible Pitt game

Board footera