Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2019 1:02 pm  #26

Re: I know this doesn't belong here but...

Love the pictures and posts. I don't remember being on campus until 1974 but my late parents described the Bluff to me including the football field.  I was completely unaware of the housing and wonder what year these photos are from Duq81? Thanks again

8/15/2019 4:36 pm  #27

If I remember correctly, College Hall, the Gumberg Library and the School of Music building were all converted parking garages or "industrial" type buildings. Although we didn't have great academic or dormitory facilities (a few of my friends lived in rat-infested University-owned row houses since there were no male dorms), there was much greater spirit then exists today among the student body concerning the basketball program. We played our home games at Pitt's fieldhouse and hundreds of students would make the trek up "cardiac hill". It was a great atmosphere, often very raucous, and the campus "social clubs", especially the Sheiks, were usually the loudest cheerleaders, among other things. :-) 

Last edited by A'64 (8/15/2019 4:37 pm)

8/15/2019 8:08 pm  #28

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Love the pictures and posts. I don't remember being on campus until 1974 but my late parents described the Bluff to me including the football field. I was completely unaware of the housing and wonder what year these photos are from Duq81? Thanks again

The pics are from the early 20s, during the construction of the Boulevard Of The Allies, after WWI.

8/15/2019 8:56 pm  #29

duq81 wrote:

Love the pictures and posts. I don't remember being on campus until 1974 but my late parents described the Bluff to me including the football field. I was completely unaware of the housing and wonder what year these photos are from Duq81? Thanks again

The pics are from the early 20s, during the construction of the Boulevard Of The Allies, after WWI.

Very cool to see those pictures. I was kind of hoping my post would prompt somebody to post some. I am curious about the third one. What streets are those? My guess would be looking down Magee St, but there's nothing in the picture I recognize (if anything in it even still exists) to be sure.

8/16/2019 7:59 am  #30

luckymcd wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Very cool to see those pictures. I was kind of hoping my post would prompt somebody to post some. I am curious about the third one. What streets are those? My guess would be looking down Magee St, but there's nothing in the picture I recognize (if anything in it even still exists) to be sure.

Stevenson St. at Vickroy.

8/16/2019 8:09 am  #31

8/16/2019 8:12 am  #32

Not sure if this opens for all. Vickroy up above the law school circa 1955. All of that is of course gone.

8/16/2019 8:15 am  #33

If you know how to read real estate plat maps, this gives a look at the layout of the campus a century ago.

Last edited by duq81 (8/16/2019 8:18 am)

8/16/2019 8:16 am  #34

8/16/2019 9:31 am  #35

Interesting that Hooper St. ran right through the middle of campus.

8/16/2019 9:40 pm  #36

duq81 wrote:

Stevenson St. at Vickroy.

So is that Des Places visible on the left side? I thought that was a fairly new building, but it sure looks alot like it.

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Not sure if this opens for all. Vickroy up above the law school circa 1955. All of that is of course gone.

And is that Old Main in the distance? I can't figure out how the angle would work to make it so, but again it really looks like it.

Last edited by luckymcd (8/16/2019 9:41 pm)

8/18/2019 8:03 am  #37

Being the guy with the history degree, I found this article pretty interesting on the history of MD and DO degrees for physicians.
https://medicalschoolhq.net/md-vs-do-what-are-the-differences-and-similarities/

I wonder if there should be a general Duquesne discussion section on the board.  I feel like I’m distracting distracting from basketball by posting this stuff but we all have pride in the university and it development.

Last edited by coffee (8/18/2019 8:06 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

8/18/2019 9:26 am  #38

coffee wrote:

Being the guy with the history degree, I found this article pretty interesting on the history of MD and DO degrees for physicians.
https://medicalschoolhq.net/md-vs-do-what-are-the-differences-and-similarities/

I wonder if there should be a general Duquesne discussion section on the board. I feel like I’m distracting distracting from basketball by posting this stuff but we all have pride in the university and it development.

I've thought about a general discussion section, but have been afraid that no one would use it. Also, those boards tend to end up with people making political, and religious statements, which frequently causes the board to turn ugly, and makes a lot of work for the moderators. I might set up an "all other things Duquesne" section, which would be perfect for posts like this.

Board footera