Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2019 10:08 am  #1

Thank You Moderators! (All Things Duquesne)

coffee wrote:

Being the guy with the history degree, I found this article pretty interesting on the history of MD and DO degrees for physicians.
https://medicalschoolhq.net/md-vs-do-what-are-the-differences-and-similarities/

I wonder if there should be a general Duquesne discussion section on the board. I feel like I’m distracting distracting from basketball by posting this stuff but we all have pride in the university and it development.
I've thought about a general discussion section, but have been afraid that no one would use it. Also, those boards tend to end up with people making political, and religious statements, which frequently causes the board to turn ugly, and makes a lot of work for the moderators. I might set up an "all other things Duquesne" section, which would be perfect for posts like this.

Duq '81's response-
I've thought about a general discussion section, but have been afraid that no one would use it. Also, those boards tend to end up with people making political, and religious statements, which frequently causes the board to turn ugly, and makes a lot of work for the moderators. I might set up an "all other things Duquesne" section, which would be perfect for posts like this.

Much thanks for all the work our moderators do to keep this board running.  I've done other blogs and boards and it takes commitment and responsiveness to the rest of us.

MANY THANKS GENTLEMEN!  Hopefully we can avoid your fears of this section turning ugly.  I guess we have to use it well or lose it.

Last edited by coffee (8/18/2019 1:41 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

8/18/2019 1:07 pm  #2

Re: Thank You Moderators! (All Things Duquesne)

Yeah, this is a good idea.  Glad it is here.

8/19/2019 9:21 am  #3

I agree it's a good idea to have for general comments but I also agree about the problems that can occur with political etc. arguments.  Can we please avoid that?  I really respect all who want to post on this board about Duquesne basketball and DU sports generally.  This is an oasis for me literally as the  only thing anyone gets hot about is who should start and who knows more about basketball, etc. than the next guy/lady. 

I've mentioned this to CLK elsewhere after we got into it a bit in another thread. That shouldn't have happened, I respect him and like him and don't want to see another opportunity for that to happen to others. 

My comment in the other section on the medical school got a lot of responses and this section would be a perfect place for that, for example.  Let's keep it that way.  There are plenty of other places on the internet to make other controversial points. 

8/19/2019 11:18 am  #4

Mulder, I agree and the feeling is mutual. Coffee thanks for the idea. Glad duq81 set this up 

8/19/2019 6:15 pm  #5

With the announcement of the Duquesne School of Medicine, the university's reputation, mission, credibility, and value of a diploma just went a bit higher.

From the PG Editorial Board-

"Duquesne’s entry into medical school education is cause for celebration in a city that’s long been a leader in health care. If properly executed, the new institution can have an influence that well exceeds the number of doctors it graduates each year."

The rest is here-

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/editorials/2019/08/19/Duquesne-University-medical-osteopathic-school/stories/201908090037

Duquesne has an opportunity to be one of the best osteopathic medical schools in the nation since we are a comprehensive university that already has a school of health science, pharmacy, nursing etc. Rather than a stand alone as so many osteopathc are,  Michigan State is one of the few other comprehensive universities to offer te degree and is the only school ranked at the top along with other mostly allopathic schools.

I'm fine if we want to tuck this section after the different sections on basketball, football, soccer etc.  This is still primarily a sports board but we all just had to talk about the university we love when it makes a big move.

Last edited by coffee (8/19/2019 7:30 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

9/23/2019 11:20 am  #6

Can only second what the others have said , Thank you Don & the guys your end who provide this platform . also met some nice people at the shows through the site.

Board footera