Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2013 10:21 am  #26

Re: The AD made the appropriate decision! Let's give him credit

Jeralta wrote:

one more thing, it was best for duquense to cut ties amicably with SMS. she was an insider. don't think she knows a thing or two about the funding limitations or juvenile hand slapping as compared to what other AD departments have? i doubt she had to pay her own cell phone bill but there were certainly other effed up things that happened.

she'll get the key to the pitt city when she's there. they are tired of losing, have $$$ and know she can get it done.

if we pissed her off we wouldn't get burt, she might pee in the pool of potential candidates (don't think they'd call her to ask about the job?), plus chelsea would still go to pitt and pay her own way.

it was a lose-lose-lose scenario. that's what you get when you are a program that struggles to doggy paddling in the deep end of the pool.

this is precisely why we only attract first-time coaches or coaches from much lower divisions. they'll eat all of the food on their plate without asking for seconds.

There is some truth to not wanting to piss off the local coaches. Paul Evans pissed off John Miller, and Pitt couldn't touch a local player for nearly 20 years. You don't want to cut off your nose to spite your face. I don't like the idea of players following Suzie out the door, but I remember posters making a billion excuses why Shawn James following RE from Northeastern was a-ok, and why Siena was a bunch of whiney babies for not giving Kojo a release. Depends on who's ox is getting gored.

4/28/2013 10:32 am  #27

very, very true.

4/28/2013 10:48 am  #28

You can call it sour grapes, you can draw parallels all you want.  

I'm tired of all this losing and all the supposed fans on this board who go out of their way to take the "fair" position.  Someone in power at Duquesne, needs to look out for the best interest of Duquesne.  I don't see anyone doing that. 

You and Duq81 may just want to "bend over" and give people whatever they want.  That is fine with me.  Don't complain about losing then.  

I don't care if the NCAA yawns at this. They are getting a call from me.   And if nothing comes of it, well fine.   I just wish more people would have Duquesne"s back.   Instead of rolling over constantly. 

4/28/2013 10:49 am  #29

Why is it okay for Pitt to do this to Russell Shell but us not to do it to Pitt?

I guess what it comes down to is some people don't have the guts to fight for their own best interest in life.  I do.  I fight things if I think they are wrong.   

Last edited by duqkurt (4/28/2013 10:54 am)

4/28/2013 10:53 am  #30

I don't know that much about McConnell family except TJ was said to be yelling F at his coach, Susie wasn't lured to a successful program after raising Duquesne girls team from the depths and TJ dad took him to see the NCAA's and another Pitt guy recruited him to transfer to the school he was head coach at.

pitt and McConnell family don't have respect for Duquesne, so what. Ever read the Pitt boards, they think Jamie Dixon is a failure after he took them to places they never were. We really won the National Championship in 1955 when the NCAA played in Field Houses.

i would rather think of what could now be at Duquesne  , Pitt will always be Pitt and the McConnells will always be the McConnells.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/28/2013 10:59 am  #31

Why does any one think she had to permit Burt to take the Duquesne job?  That is assinine.  She was just let out of a contract at Duquesne.  She had no power over whether he took the job or not.  

I think some of you people are afraid of you own shadows. 

4/28/2013 12:35 pm  #32

From Post-Gazette:
Rachel Wojdowski, who was the director of basketball operations under McConnell-Serio, will be joining Burt's staff as an assistant, and he also has a current Division II head coach lined up to join the staff in the near future.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/duquesne/3922535-74/burt-basketball-program#ixzz2RmSDqNSX 
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

4/28/2013 1:37 pm  #33

FAM wrote:

Stranger things have happened...Dan signed a contract with Pitt - they wouldn't let him go or he has to pay some $$$ to do so.  SMS wants the player we have.  A swap.  We will let Dan go if you let the player we want go!

Maybe I'm watching too many James Bond movies.

Exactly my thoughts, but I wasn't sure if Dan actually signed anything with Pitt, if so that might have been part of the deal to release the player to go to Pitt.  By any stretch it still is a low class move on the part of Pitt and SMS.  Jim Ferry showed class when coming to DU from LIU when he made it clear that he wouldn't pursue any of his former players or recruits that were committed to LIU. 
Hiring Dan is a good move on several fronts.  His familiarity with the players and the program, his recruiting connections both locally and in Canada, and it will force Pitt and McConnell to find another recruiter to do the footwork for SMS. She may find that recruiting takes more of her family time now that Dan isn't around to carry the recruiting load.

Last edited by levon1975 (4/28/2013 2:04 pm)

4/28/2013 4:16 pm  #34

duqkurt wrote:

Why is it okay for Pitt to do this to Russell Shell but us not to do it to Pitt?

I guess what it comes down to is some people don't have the guts to fight for their own best interest in life.  I do.  I fight things if I think they are wrong.   

You must not read around a lot. Pitt has been absolutely roasted for blocking where Shell could transfer. You need to read writers from outside of Pittsburgh.

4/28/2013 5:03 pm  #35

Levon said, "Jim Ferry showed class when coming to DU from LIU when he made it clear that he wouldn't pursue any of his former players or recruits that were committed to LIU. "

Are you sure this is true? Wasn't he recruiting Colter for LIU???

4/28/2013 5:32 pm  #36

Lets separate what happened. 

Mensah and Shawn James transferred to Duquesne when RE came here.   They had to sit out a year under the NCAA transfer rules.

Ferry may have been recruiting Colter for LIU, but he didn't sign a letter of intent or make a verbal commitment to LIU.   He was free to sign with and come to Duquesne. 

Chelsea Welch signed a letter of intent with Duquesne in the fall and was announced by Duquesne in as a member of their 6 member 2012 recruiting class.  Apparently, she was let out of her commitment to Duquesne as the Oakland Zoo twitter feed as retweeted by their coach has not signed with PItt.   So she didn't have to transfer or sit out a year.

The Pitt coach is taking pictures and tweeting them with an additional two announced members of the 2012 recruiting class.

Last edited by duqkurt (4/28/2013 5:32 pm)

4/29/2013 12:02 am  #37

Suzie's gone, get over it!

Back Burt!  Go Dukes!

4/29/2013 6:30 am  #38

Correct Lauren- and we got the coach that the folks wanted - we need to embrace the positive.

4/29/2013 8:51 am  #39

I gave GA credit.  I am happy about the Burt hire.   The University of Pittsburgh coach should have to follow the same rules as everyone else.  

I'm sorry if you all think this is an extension of my negativity or that I am being a troublemaker.   If you don't look out for your own, no one else is going too. 

4/29/2013 9:50 am  #40

Westender wrote:

Levon said, "Jim Ferry showed class when coming to DU from LIU when he made it clear that he wouldn't pursue any of his former players or recruits that were committed to LIU. "

Are you sure this is true? Wasn't he recruiting Colter for LIU???

I said "committed" recruits or former players, Colter was not committed, or worse, already signed with LIU or any other school. Chelsea Welch was already signed with Duquesne; although refusing to release her to the school of her choice seems childish and kind of pathetic, since she could have gone to Pitt anyway and just paid her way for one year.   I'm sure she could have gotten some level of financial assistance from Pitt based on a variety of circumstances. So Duquesne took the high road and did the right thing.   I don't know if Shell tried to explore the financial aid process, and try to attend ASU despite Pitt's classless move.  he would only need to cover the cost for one year.

Last edited by levon1975 (4/29/2013 9:55 am)

4/29/2013 4:30 pm  #41

Give pitt a break. Todd graham jerked them over big time. He should be glad they don't break his legs

4/29/2013 4:55 pm  #42

Jeralta wrote:

Give pitt a break. Todd graham jerked them over big time. He should be glad they don't break his legs

But I notice that Pitt didn't allow Graham to openly recruit Pitt's signed players when he left, either.

4/29/2013 5:13 pm  #43

Its pretty bad when big bad pitt is poaching Duquesne for talent.

But, 1, its legal.  2, DU has to not allow current players or signed recruits to go to Pitt(like Pitt did with Graham), or if they do, sit out 2 years.  No one will sit out 2 years.  Also, dont allow those same players to transfer to another A10 school, thus the 2 years.  Its practically written in the guide books.  Yet, scumbags like Urban Meyer, Les Miles and other SEC clowns pull this stuff all the time.

What I dont understand is why leave a 25-8 team on the brink of history for a team that will get its doors blown off for 2-3 years at least?  regardless of who the coach is, pitt is terrible.  Maybe if you are a freshman now, you xfer and sit out one year, MAYBE by your senior year you can make postseason, or get caught in a SWAT drug raid on campus.

F Pitt

Last edited by townsonkid (4/29/2013 5:13 pm)

4/29/2013 6:17 pm  #44

Sms will be golden in 3 years

4/29/2013 7:11 pm  #45

Jeralta wrote:

Sms will be golden in 3 years

Considering that you never paid attention to the women's team before you lover of SMS, Pitt and how they got screwed over by Todd Graham belongs on PantherLair.com.  Don't you think?  

4/29/2013 7:12 pm  #46

townsonkid wrote:

F Pitt

Thank you.  Add the McConnells to that statement!

4/29/2013 7:21 pm  #47

Me?  I attended every Hlede game on through to most of the home games in the past 8 years

Board footera