Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/28/2019 8:57 am  #1

Start of Practice

It use to be that every D1 team in the Country would start practice on the same Day resulting in the show called "Midnight Madness".  Now you have 30 days of practice you can use however you want in the six weeks prior to the first regular-season game. So since the Dukes first game in November 5th, if my calculations are correct the Dukes should be in practice mode with 38 days until their first game. By the way, if any of our friends are lucky enough to attend practice I would be interested in their thoughts on Miller. He did not play in the Bahamas due to injury, but I get the feeling he is going to surprise a lot of people and will get significat minutes at the 3 with Frankie hurt. Go Dukes!

9/28/2019 10:41 pm  #2

Re: Start of Practice

CLK wrote:

It use to be that every D1 team in the Country would start practice on the same Day resulting in the show called "Midnight Madness".  Now you have 30 days of practice you can use however you want in the six weeks prior to the first regular-season game. So since the Dukes first game in November 5th, if my calculations are correct the Dukes should be in practice mode with 38 days until their first game. By the way, if any of our friends are lucky enough to attend practice I would be interested in their thoughts on Miller. He did not play in the Bahamas due to injury, but I get the feeling he is going to surprise a lot of people and will get significat minutes at the 3 with Frankie hurt. Go Dukes!

How big is he? There will be lots of minutes available at the 3, unless Mike or Steele can play the 4. KD did say that he'd like to able to play them together. That would put Weathers at the 3, and give us a really nice front line. If he can make that happen, raise your expectations for this season.

9/29/2019 7:06 am  #3

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

How big is he? There will be lots of minutes available at the 3, unless Mike or Steele can play the 4. KD did say that he'd like to able to play them together. That would put Weathers at the 3, and give us a really nice front line. If he can make that happen, raise your expectations for this season.

Miller is listed as
HEIGHT 6-5
WEIGHT 200

9/29/2019 12:29 pm  #4

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Miller is listed as
HEIGHT 6-5
WEIGHT 200

That's good size for a swingman. He should definitely have a chance to earn some minutes there, it's just a question of how ready he is.

9/29/2019 3:35 pm  #5

duq81, here is Ashton's senior highlight video.  From what I saw here, he has a very good handle, not afraid of contact and is very quick on the dribble.  Looks like the coaching staff has a lot to work with here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09TJRZ1gLwM

I haven't heard much about him recently, but I understand that he impressed the coaching staff and his teammates during the early summer workouts.  High hopes for Ashton and the Dukes!

9/29/2019 7:56 pm  #6

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81, here is Ashton's senior highlight video.  From what I saw here, he has a very good handle, not afraid of contact and is very quick on the dribble.  Looks like the coaching staff has a lot to work with here.

I haven't heard much about him recently, but I understand that he impressed the coaching staff and his teammates during the early summer workouts.  High hopes for Ashton and the Dukes!

Is he also in line to backup Carry at the point? One of the reasons why Carry got worn down was because Wade's failure as a backup forced Sincere to have to play too many minutes. We desperately need for someone to step up, and be able to give us 10 minutes a game at the 1.

9/29/2019 8:18 pm  #7

The video shows that he is good with both hands. Not usually seen in high school.

9/29/2019 9:24 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Is he also in line to backup Carry at the point? One of the reasons why Carry got worn down was because Wade's failure as a backup forced Sincere to have to play too many minutes. We desperately need for someone to step up, and be able to give us 10 minutes a game at the 1.

I believe that Evan Buckley is in the mix to back up Sincere. Similar style of player; not as mature or physical as Sin, but maybe a better shooter. Depends how fast he can acclimate to the college game.

Averaged 22.7 points and 8.1 assists while shooting 48 percent from the field as a senior.
Scored 30 or more in a game five times as a senior, with a high game of 35 vs. both Tuscarora and Freedom.
Played a role in 75 percent of Stone Bridge’s field goals (via either made field goal or assist) as a junior and senior.
Had a 5-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio over his final two seasons.

9/29/2019 9:25 pm  #9

duq81 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Evan Buckley might be good enough to fill that role this season.

9/29/2019 10:02 pm  #10

I watched that video when he signed & was impressed with his handle. That has not changed after seeing it again.

This time, two things really struck me about his observable skill set.

First, I can't think of another Duke or recruit that went elsewhere whose highlight video was so full of hard, controlled drives with traffic finishes through contact & soft-touch floaters. I understand that these videos are all cut to show the player to greatest advantage but, so many Division I players get scholarships & have to grow into this particular set of skills. Last year's team could have really used a player that can get downhill, finish, & make plays for others. He is going to force opposing defenses into some hard choices. 

Is there a former Duke of recent vintage that I am forgetting about that had as strong a handle & to the rack game at Ashton's size?

Secondly, he is going to have a hard time getting-off spot-up jumpers in the A-10 with that long, slow, & low release. That isn't surprising. Many kids have to change their mechanics early in college to account for the defensive length & superior close-outs that are standard at this level. I think he'll get that fixed and at 6'5" shoot over a hefty percentage of A-10 wing defenders without being bothered. It is noteworthy because today's players start working on spot-up shooting from distance before they ever hit high school & are usually pretty solid with it by the time they are a sought after Div I prospect.

What is more interesting to me is that Ashton seems much further along with his mechanics for pull-up & catch /shoot opportunities off player movement. Most freshmen have the exact opposite strengths & weaknesses. 

Or, maybe this is just an effective highlight video that hides glaring weaknesses in favor of pushing the player's only viable skills & I am desperate for every new signee to be a program changing under the radar recruit. Time will tell.

9/30/2019 1:45 am  #11

phil95 wrote:

Is there a former Duke of recent vintage that I am forgetting about that had as strong a handle & to the rack game at Ashton's size?

I would say BJ Monteiro was a player that fit that mold.

9/30/2019 6:27 am  #12

Duques102 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I would say BJ Monteiro was a player that fit that mold.

Good choice.

9/30/2019 9:17 am  #13

I never think of BJ that way because he spent so much time playing out of position as a 4 & occasionally as a 5 during his last 2 + years. The program's lack of size surely forced him into a role he never could have anticipated coming out of prep school. He really made the best out of a difficult situation. In the 2019 college basketball climate, he would have transferred.

BJ's interior game doesn't seem likely for Ashton & Ashton's handle is already light years ahead of where BJ was at the end of his Dukes career.

Anybody else?

9/30/2019 4:41 pm  #14

phil95 wrote:

I never think of BJ that way because he spent so much time playing out of position as a 4 & occasionally as a 5 during his last 2 + years. The program's lack of size surely forced him into a role he never could have anticipated coming out of prep school. He really made the best out of a difficult situation. In the 2019 college basketball climate, he would have transferred.

BJ's interior game doesn't seem likely for Ashton & Ashton's handle is already light years ahead of where BJ was at the end of his Dukes career.

Anybody else?

Bill Clark???

10/01/2019 11:22 pm  #15

phil95 wrote:

I watched that video when he signed & was impressed with his handle. That has not changed after seeing it again.

First, I can't think of another Duke or recruit that went elsewhere whose highlight video was so full of hard, controlled drives with traffic finishes through contact & soft-touch floaters. I understand that these videos are all cut to show the player to greatest advantage but, so many Division I players get scholarships & have to grow into this particular set of skills. Last year's team could have really used a player that can get downhill, finish, & make plays for others. He is going to force opposing defenses into some hard choices. 

Secondly, he is going to have a hard time getting-off spot-up jumpers in the A-10 with that long, slow, & low release. That isn't surprising. Many kids have to change their mechanics early in college to account for the defensive length & superior close-outs that are standard at this level. I think he'll get that fixed and at 6'5" shoot over a hefty percentage of A-10 wing defenders without being bothered. It is noteworthy because today's players start working on spot-up shooting from distance before they ever hit high school & are usually pretty solid with it by the time they are a sought after Div I prospect.

What is more interesting to me is that Ashton seems much further along with his mechanics for pull-up & catch /shoot opportunities off player movement. Most freshmen have the exact opposite strengths & weaknesses. 

Or, maybe this is just an effective highlight video that hides glaring weaknesses in favor of pushing the player's only viable skills & I am desperate for every new signee to be a program changing under the radar recruit. Time will tell.

You my friend sound desperate. We all know highlights mean nothing let him play a few games

10/02/2019 1:52 pm  #16

My impressions from watching practice today.

First, Mike Hughes, Austin Rotroff and Amari Kelly did not practice with the team.  Rotroff is wearing a protective Spandex wrap on his left leg.  He will be ready for full practice in  two weeks.  Kelly is wearing no protective wrap on either leg.  He will be ready for full practice "in about a month."  Mike Hughes kept out for precaution reasons.  All three engaged in exercises of varying sorts while the team ran drills of varying sorts and played a mini-scrimmage.

Notables: 

Baylee Steele is the real deal!  A legitimate 6'11' and 245 lbs of mostly muscle.  I think he will be a game changer for the Dukes.  He does everything well including running the floor, follow-up on shots, rebounds, passing, shooting with either hand off the blocks, playing various zone defenses AND  three point shooting on kick outs from the blocks or from the elbow.  In short, he has game.

Maceo Austin will start somewhere or be a very visible and versatile sixth man.  He is a lot quicker than video reflects over and above his foot speed.  His shooting is good to very good as to form and accuracy.  He can go to the hoop very well.  He uses his hands and feet well on defense.  He is a legitimate four star hooper.  He too will be somewhat of a game changer.

Ashton Miller was a surprise.  He is very quick to the ball on D.  He will remind of Jarett Durham with his jump shot.  But, like JD, it goes in with regularity. He can take it to the hoop with force. He will get playing time, but I won't venture a guess as to how much.

Sincere Carry is better than last year.  His shot has more arc to it.  He leaps better now that he has two good wheels.  He still goes to the hoop extremely well with a variety of moves.  He is quicker.  In short, being in good health makes for better overall performance.  

James Ellis:  Still rusty from no practice or playing last year.  But, I still like his upside as I said last year.  He is bigger and stronger.  Surprisingly, he seems to be allowed to shoot the outside long jumpers.  I think he, Rotroff, Kelly, Steele and Mike Hughes give us formidable inside strength.   I have no doubt Ellis will be game ready by league game start.

Coach used Carry, Dunn-Martin, Austin, Lamar Norman and Miller in his two guard sets.  Weathers was used pretty much as a three with no negative changes to his game.

Overall:  We have legitimate D-1 talent to compete with the A-10 big boys.  We can finish as high as 4 in my opinion.  Pray we stay healthy.  This is my story and I am sticking to it!

Last edited by grammudder (10/02/2019 1:57 pm)

10/02/2019 2:57 pm  #17

grammudder wrote:

First, Mike Hughes, Austin Rotroff and Amari Kelly did not practice with the team.  Rotroff is wearing a protective Spandex wrap on his left leg.  He will be ready for full practice in  two weeks.  Kelly is wearing no protective wrap on either leg.  He will be ready for full practice "in about a month."  Mike Hughes kept out for precaution reasons.  All three engaged in exercises of varying sorts while the team ran drills of varying sorts and played a mini-scrimmage.

Notables: 

Baylee Steele is the real deal!  A legitimate 6'11' and 245 lbs of mostly muscle.  I think he will be a game changer for the Dukes.  He does everything well including running the floor, follow-up on shots, rebounds, passing, shooting with either hand off the blocks, playing various zone defenses AND  three point shooting on kick outs from the blocks or from the elbow.  In short, he has game.

Maceo Austin will start somewhere or be a very visible and versatile sixth man.  He is a lot quicker than video reflects over and above his foot speed.  His shooting is good to very good as to form and accuracy.  He can go to the hoop very well.  He uses his hands and feet well on defense.  He is a legitimate four star hooper.  He too will be somewhat of a game changer.

Ashton Miller was a surprise.  He is very quick to the ball on D.  He will remind of Jarett Durham with his jump shot.  But, like JD, it goes in with regularity. He can take it to the hoop with force. He will get playing time, but I won't venture a guess as to how much.

Sincere Carry is better than last year.  His shot has more arc to it.  He leaps better now that he has two good wheels.  He still goes to the hoop extremely well with a variety of moves.  He is quicker.  In short, being in good health makes for better overall performance.  

James Ellis:  Still rusty from no practice or playing last year.  But, I still like his upside as I said last year.  He is bigger and stronger.  Surprisingly, he seems to be allowed to shoot the outside long jumpers.  I think he, Rotroff, Kelly, Steele and Mike Hughes give us formidable inside strength.   I have no doubt Ellis will be game ready by league game start.

Coach used Carry, Dunn-Martin, Austin, Lamar Norman and Miller in his two guard sets.  Weathers was used pretty much as a three with no negative changes to his game.

Overall:  We have legitimate D-1 talent to compete with the A-10 big boys.  We can finish as high as 4 in my opinion.  Pray we stay healthy.  This is my story and I am sticking to it!

You had me at “He will remind of Jarett Durham with his jump shot.  But, like JD, it goes in with regularity”

😀!!!!!!!!

10/02/2019 4:00 pm  #18

Thanks, grammy!  Looking forward to seeing the Dukes and you soon, most likely in Morgantown.

10/02/2019 4:04 pm  #19

Godukes2017 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

You my friend sound desperate. We all know highlights mean nothing let him play a few games

That's because I AM desperate for one of the recruits to be an enormous, positive surprise.
I am so grateful for your sage advice. I will give that a try. It hasn't worked for the last 28 years but, I'll give it another go.

10/02/2019 4:41 pm  #20

Did Evan Buckley practice?

10/02/2019 5:37 pm  #21

Box & One wrote:

grammudder wrote:

Notables: 

You had me at “He will remind of Jarett Durham with his jump shot. But, like JD, it goes in with regularity”

😀!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the report.

10/03/2019 9:59 am  #22

Thanks Grammy for your comments.  Really excited about out team.  Here is an article from Busting Brackets

https://twitter.com/BustingBrackets/status/1179750448326217731

10/03/2019 1:51 pm  #23

Thanks Grammy; your report seems right in line with the information I’ve heard coming out of practices.

Board footera