Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2013 11:33 am  #1

Soko

I am looking forward to seeing him play.  Saw this tweet by Jon Rothstein College Basketball Insider for CBS Sports Network.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein Duquesne will have one of the best big men in the A10 next yr in UAB transfer Ovie Soko. 6-8 big man is a WARRIOR. Will produce 4 the Dukes

5/03/2013 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Soko

Always great to hear something positive about a Duquesne player. Too bad he's one and done! Still hoping for more good news on the recruiting scene.

5/03/2013 1:45 pm  #3

Really looking forward to watching Soko play. Question: I see players who transfer to another school as a grad student/player. Can Soko play another year if he goes to grad school?

An athlete gets 4 years of eligibility.  This will be Soko's 4th year with DU.

Last edited by CLK (5/03/2013 2:12 pm)

5/03/2013 2:14 pm  #4

Sorry, Apluski I meant to hit Quote but hit Edit by mistake.  See my comment above

5/03/2013 3:43 pm  #5

CLK wrote:

I am looking forward to seeing him play.  Saw this tweet by Jon Rothstein College Basketball Insider for CBS Sports Network.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein Duquesne will have one of the best big men in the A10 next yr in UAB transfer Ovie Soko. 6-8 big man is a WARRIOR. Will produce 4 the Dukes

Ovie, can be the best big guy we have seen at Duquesne since the Train, and that was a long time ago.  He will score, rebound, block shots, put it on the floor, and run the court like a deer.  We need him to be on the court for a lot of minutes this next season, and stay out of foul trouble; especially early in the season when the newbies will be learning.  He is also a leader on and off the court.

As for recruiting; there is still room for a scoring small forward or swing man.  It would really put the cap on a nice group of incoming players.

5/03/2013 4:17 pm  #6

levon1975 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Ovie, can be the best big guy we have seen at Duquesne since the Train, and that was a long time ago.  He will score, rebound, block shots, put it on the floor, and run the court like a deer.  We need him to be on the court for a lot of minutes this next season, and stay out of foul trouble; especially early in the season when the newbies will be learning.  He is also a leader on and off the court.

As for recruiting; there is still room for a scoring small forward or swing man.  It would really put the cap on a nice group of incoming players.

You're saying a lot, considering that we've had Bruce Atkins, Damian Saunders, and Derrick Alston since the Train.

5/04/2013 6:31 pm  #7

Add another name to the list (who was ALSO a one year player at the Bluff)  If Soko can even APPROACH this guy's one year - we could be tournament bound!!!   (I'm talking about Mark Stevenson!!)

5/04/2013 7:23 pm  #8

SkepticAl wrote:

Add another name to the list (who was ALSO a one year player at the Bluff)  If Soko can even APPROACH this guy's one year - we could be tournament bound!!!   (I'm talking about Mark Stevenson!!)

Yeah, hands down, Stevenson had to be the best one-year player the Dukes ever had.

5/04/2013 8:31 pm  #9

xlopjoe wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

Yeah, hands down, Stevenson had to be the best one-year player the Dukes ever had.

Keep in mind though, that team was bereft of talent, so Carroll pretty much gave Stevenson the green light to do whatever he wanted. He would never have put those numbers up if the team had been more talented. Not that he wasn't good, but he wouldn't have had quite the same freedom on a good team.

5/04/2013 9:45 pm  #10

Actually the guy you're missing is Wayne Smith.

5/04/2013 11:15 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

xlopjoe wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

Keep in mind though, that team was bereft of talent, so Carroll pretty much gave Stevenson the green light to do whatever he wanted. He would never have put those numbers up if the team had been more talented. Not that he wasn't good, but he wouldn't have had quite the same freedom on a good team.

Yeah, you're probably right. That team was really bad. Stevenson was probably the single legitimate Division I player on the team....he almost had to put up those numbers.

5/05/2013 5:47 am  #12

Wasn't comparing Soko to Stevenson - just throwing Stevenson's name in the mix -  Still Stevenson did accomplish what he did and from probably the fourth or fifth game on the other coaches got wise and probably did as much as they could to slow him down stop him with junk defenses etc -  Remember after the first game they played (it was one of those two "unofficial" ones before the season -  Am walking away and Deuce Skarenski (the "Unofficial/Official" Scorer) turns to the guy next to him and says 46 for Stevenson!!  (This was before those side scoreboards at Palumbo would rotate with the points/fouls for the 5 players on the floor)

Still hopefully the new recruiting class gives Ferry enough options to play the style he wants and we're back in the mix at least for the NIT or the other post season tournament we appeared in -  two weeks ago I'm thinking if we improve to 12 wins or so that might be as much as we can get.

5/05/2013 2:29 pm  #13

xlopjoe wrote:

duq81 wrote:

xlopjoe wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right. That team was really bad. Stevenson was probably the single legitimate Division I player on the team....he almost had to put up those numbers.

Didn't that team have Tony Petrarca and Clayton Adams? Consecutive 1st team all-A10 Freshmen. Also Brian Anselimino, who was A-10 player of the week - twice.

Board footera