Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2019 8:43 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Indiana State Sycamores

Side note, Duquesne uses a new stats provider than previous seasons, the same one as what Junkanoo Jam uses and possibly the same one across all NCAA hoops. It is a big downgrade from the provider they used before. Very bad format on mobile and as I sit here on my desk, the desktop version isnt much better.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/22/2019 8:56 am  #52

This team has a lot of talent. Doesn’t depend on 1-2 guys every night. Basketball games ebb and flow. I don’t worry about trailing at any point, I care about the final score.

11/22/2019 9:05 am  #53

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

If you watched the game, you would have seen 3 of Hughes fouls were phantom. The last one, an offensive foul, was a no call and could have been called a flop on the defender. Credit to the rest of the team for grinding this one out. Lots of heroes in this W.

Phoenix I also watched the game, and absolutely agree on the officiating.  These refs were equal opportunity horrible.  There were calls on both teams that were just mystifying. Still we need Mike to protect himself more early in the game as it seems the refs are keying on him.  Personally,  I would like to see Steele start and bring Mike in off the bench for a while to see if that helps.  We need to have Mike in the game at crunch time.

As you say many heroes in this one.  Steele hit some big 3 point shots, Carry driving the ball hard and getting fouled, Clutch FT shooting by Carry, Maceo & Miller.  My game ball, however, in a close race would have to be Maceo.  I though he was just terrific with strong defense, 9 rebounds and big put back buckets to keep us in the game. 

Go Dukes!

11/22/2019 9:09 am  #54

ElDuque wrote:

This team has a lot of talent. Doesn’t depend on 1-2 guys every night. Basketball games ebb and flow. I don’t worry about trailing at any point, I care about the final score.

I mentioned that after the Lamar game. Hopefully it will end up being our best team in quite some time, but it definitely is our most complete team in a very long time (one of you vets will have to give me an idea how long, it's definitely before my 20 years following the Dukes). If Hughes gets in foul trouble, Steele can pick up the slack. If TDM's shots aren't falling, Norman can knock them down too. Sin was one of the national leaders in steals last year. This year he's fifth on the team. The only thing we're really missing is a backup true point guard. We get by when Carry is on the bench, but there's a noticeable difference. When the missing piece is a backup, that's a pretty good problem to have.

11/22/2019 11:16 am  #55

11/22/2019 11:19 am  #56

Wanted to give Lamar Norman some love. 17 minutes, nine points on 3 for 6 from the field. 

11/22/2019 11:29 am  #57

Good thing coach didn't ban Steele from shooting the 3.

11/22/2019 11:48 am  #58

WashPaRick wrote:

Wanted to give Lamar Norman some love. 17 minutes, nine points on 3 for 6 from the field. 

He might be close to moving into the starting lineup if he has more games like this. TDM has been awful as a starter.

11/22/2019 12:26 pm  #59

I am happy I cannot find video highlights of the game. Judging from the Indiana State broadcasters it was a pretty ugly  with turnovers.

11/22/2019 12:51 pm  #60

CLK wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

If you watched the game, you would have seen 3 of Hughes fouls were phantom. The last one, an offensive foul, was a no call and could have been called a flop on the defender. Credit to the rest of the team for grinding this one out. Lots of heroes in this W.

Phoenix I also watched the game, and absolutely agree on the officiating.  These refs were equal opportunity horrible.  There were calls on both teams that were just mystifying. Still we need Mike to protect himself more early in the game as it seems the refs are keying on him.  Personally,  I would like to see Steele start and bring Mike in off the bench for a while to see if that helps.  We need to have Mike in the game at crunch time.

As you say many heroes in this one.  Steele hit some big 3 point shots, Carry driving the ball hard and getting fouled, Clutch FT shooting by Carry, Maceo & Miller.  My game ball, however, in a close race would have to be Maceo.  I though he was just terrific with strong defense, 9 rebounds and big put back buckets to keep us in the game. 

Go Dukes!

CLK, I think that starting Steele for Hughes is a good idea; it might give Mike some time to see how the game is being called and to calm him down at bit coming out of the gate.  Dambrot did try that starting the 2nd half; unfortunately, Mike didn't last long picking up his 4th foul only 1:41 after entering the game; and his 5th foul only after 0:50 (both really questionable calls in my mind).

I totally agree with you on Maceo; he sure didn't look like a freshman with 4 games under his belt coming down the stretch.  He did everything needed for the team to get that win; the Dukes don't win that one without his efforts. A high basketball IQ.

11/22/2019 12:54 pm  #61

DuqTubaKid wrote:

I am happy I cannot find video highlights of the game. Judging from the Indiana State broadcasters it was a pretty ugly  with turnovers.

It wasn't bad on the turnovers; 12 for the Dukes and 14 for the Sycamores. The 49 fouls called, with 31 called in the 2nd half, made this game really ugly and choppy.

11/22/2019 3:12 pm  #62

This was a nice win against a well-coached & desperate opponent on a neutral floor. Easily lost bit won with composure & free throw shooting.Finishing with Maceo & Miller takes balls. The coach gets props for this one. 

I know it may be a total fluke & his best game of the year but, when will Duquesne ever get a Jake LaRavia?

I am going to leave the MHughes stuff alone. All that must be said has been said.

I am intrigued by the prospect of a Maceo, Sin, Weathers, MHughes, & Steele starting 5. I don't know if that is enough perimeter defense or ball-handling but something has to give with the TDM starting situation. His horrendous shooting & weak, though spirited, half-court defense are big problems. Maybe Lamar or Miller is ready, Maceo stays at the 3, & Steele & TDM give great punch off the bench?

11/22/2019 4:27 pm  #63

phil95 wrote:

I am intrigued by the prospect of a Maceo, Sin, Weathers, MHughes, & Steele starting 5. I don't know if that is enough perimeter defense or ball-handling but something has to give with the TDM starting situation. His horrendous shooting & weak, though spirited, half-court defense are big problems. Maybe Lamar or Miller is ready, Maceo stays at the 3, & Steele & TDM give great punch off the bench?

I couldn't agree more. He was better coming off the bench last year.

11/22/2019 5:23 pm  #64

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. He was better coming off the bench last year.

Keith has said many, many times that Hughes, Steele and Weathers are playing for 2 spots. Unless he reverses course from the entire offseason of development, I dont see this happening.

Board footera