Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2019 6:14 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Loyola Marymount Lions

NapaDuke wrote:

phil95 wrote:

A top 15 program loaded with 5-stars & potential lottery picks thought enough of his game to bring him in with only 2 years of eligibility left. His exceptional for his position defensive rebounding rate alone makes him at least an average defender at this level.

Please stop with this. Eric has been gone for 6 + months. He didn't hurt or embarrass DU. Things just didn't work out.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. However, celebrating a nice, little tournament title & a 6-0 start makes a lot more sense than pointing out the perceived shortcomings of a 19-year-old that is no longer a factor in the program.   

Also, it is very exciting to see the incremental improvements from one game to the next. Yes, momentum is in our favor & high confidence always works wonders but, the team is also doing a bunch of things a bit better with each outing.

We get it. But when a kid that has every reason to stay here, leaves our program, we tend to get a little ticked off. Looking at the box scores for Oregon, he seems to be on the bench with no minutes played?  Is he hurt or something else?

I don't remember you berating TJ, who argued with Ron on the court, and whose departure gave Amodio the excuse he needed to fire Ron. TJ was a "good ol Pittsburgh kid", so he was just doing what's best for himself (which of course he was. He wouldn't be anywhere near the NBA if he had stayed here). Williams is  "some bum from Michigan" so he's fair game to be trashed in every thread.

11/25/2019 8:35 am  #52

Mike Hughes was amazing with his shot blocking and shot altering play last night.  Both he and Steele are a lethal tandem. Baylee Steele is a game changer with his consistent ability to drain the three point shot.  Many of the preseason write ups lamented the loss of Eric Williams and his rebounding.  They did not factor in the impact of Steele and Maceo.  I do not see anything wrong in Ironduke's posting pointing out their error. .

11/25/2019 9:27 am  #53

phil95 wrote:

A top 15 program loaded with 5-stars & potential lottery picks thought enough of his game to bring him in with only 2 years of eligibility left. His exceptional for his position defensive rebounding rate alone makes him at least an average defender at this level.

Please stop with this. Eric has been gone for 6 + months. He didn't hurt or embarrass DU. Things just didn't work out.

That's kind of where I am at this point too. He had a better opportunity and took it. It would be different if he transferred to Portland State or something, but Oregon is a clear step up from us at this point. I can't be that mad at a kid wanting to improve his situation. Whether it actually does or not is still up in the air, but the allure will be there until we are able to compete with the bigger schools.

So far I think Maceo has ably stepped into his role. He does it a little differently than Eric did, but the role is similar. All in all I think the team is actually better without Williams, which is certainly not what I expected. That's also not a shot at him. He was a good player, Maceo is a good player. The attitude of the team has changed, and Eric leaving possibly played a part in that, but not necessarily a big part. At this point I think both sides are better off though. So there's no reason to keep berating anyone.

11/25/2019 10:16 am  #54

Fun (to me) fact that I did not know...
Loyola Marymount's campus is also known as the Bluff.
But, where's the "Have a Duke" clock?
https://magazine.lmu.edu/videos/the-bluff-an-aerial-tour/

11/25/2019 10:18 am  #55

Dsnyder15 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

phil95 wrote:

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. However, celebrating a nice, little tournament title & a 6-0 start makes a lot more sense than pointing out the perceived shortcomings of a 19-year-old that is no longer a factor in the program.   

Also, it is very exciting to see the incremental improvements from one game to the next. Yes, momentum is in our favor & high confidence always works wonders but, the team is also doing a bunch of things a bit better with each outing.

We get it. But when a kid that has every reason to stay here, leaves our program, we tend to get a little ticked off. Looking at the box scores for Oregon, he seems to be on the bench with no minutes played?  Is he hurt or something else?

He is required to sit out a year. I think tgat will benefit him. Watch and learn.

That's right, I forgot that one year. Could do him a lot of good.  

11/25/2019 10:52 am  #56

You guys throwing Eric in just shows you guys are bitter people. No one has compared to him stat wise yet in his 6 games and he’s on the 11 ranked team in the country and has a year to sit and get more mature and better. Him playing against no competition this year will benefit him more than the players who are playing right now. Stop bringing him up you guys should know 1 person don’t make a whole team so why bring him up? SALTY

11/25/2019 1:17 pm  #57

11/25/2019 3:15 pm  #58

First tourney win since Danny Nee's forgettable 2002-03 team won the FIU New Year's Classic. But that only required two wins, against St. Francis (NY) and Florida International. Have we ever won three games in an in-season tourney before? I can't find any record of that. 

11/25/2019 4:50 pm  #59

There is no need to berate players past or present. Eric, I-Mike, Tydus, Dylan, Brandon, Gavin, Nakye, Spencer -- I wish them all the best! I talk with many of their parents and former coaches on social media. They're all good people, and they're aware when people talk out of turn here.

Let's not earn a bad reputation as a crappy fan base. 

11/25/2019 4:53 pm  #60

ElDuque wrote:

There is no need to berate players past or present. Eric, I-Mike, Tydus, Dylan, Brandon, Gavin, Nakye, Spencer -- I wish them all the best! I talk with many of their parents and former coaches on social media. They're all good people, and they're aware when people talk out of turn here.

Let's not earn a bad reputation as a crappy fan base. 

At the AJP we ended up having seats in the family of players section, and I would agree with them being all good folks, and that there is no need to mention people not with the program at this point. 

11/25/2019 4:54 pm  #61

Dayton crushes 4-0 Georgia in Hawaii. Good for A 10. Obi one Kanoby big time. I’m afraid according to Godukes17 & Phil not to be confused with Punxsutawney Phil that the Dukes will lose to the Flyers both home & away by 100 points Dr. Evil. Really it’s been 40 years embrace this team coach University & AD. Haters not needed on this board.  Except of course “Eric Who”😁

11/25/2019 6:30 pm  #62

CLK, thanks for posting this. I'm glad to see that KD is as optimistic as he is about this team. For the first time on the Bluff, he sounds pleased with the performance of his team on defense. And I think they will continue to get better defensively as the year goes on with the freshman getting more experience and the return of Rotroff and hopefully Kelly. This team has really picked up on the fundamental defensive principles that KD has been teaching; especially defending the high ball screen and the defensive rotation when doubling a defender.
Having only 6 games in the next 5½ weeks will provide the Dukes with plenty of practice time, even with the holidays and finals, to work on their offensive flow and shot selection. In my mind, what we have seen so far is just the beginning.  Let's Go Dukes!

11/25/2019 8:24 pm  #63

Duquesne basketball is starting to be fun!

11/25/2019 8:47 pm  #64

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

This team has really picked up on the fundamental defensive principles that KD has been teaching; especially defending the high ball screen and the defensive rotation when doubling a defender.

I've been to all of our home games, the exhibition at WVU and watched 2 of the 3 Bimini games on TV and I am loving the way this team is playing defense.  They are usually in good position with respect to their man and that disrupts the offensive flow of the opponent resulting in bad shots and turnovers.  57.2 points a game is some pretty good D!  No wonder Keith is happy with the results so far.

11/25/2019 11:23 pm  #65

Did anyone else that watched the Bimini games think Sin & Hughes got cheated on stats?

I thought Sin got screwed out of at least 2 rebounds, a steal, & 3 assists in game 2. He also seemed to get shortchanged on assists against LMU.

I had Hughes with 6 or 7 easily identifiable blocks last night; 3 of those were in one second half possession.

Has anyone followed Tydus V? A quick look makes me think he has a bunch of bigs to compete with for meaningful minutes.

11/26/2019 9:11 am  #66

VBC wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

This team has really picked up on the fundamental defensive principles that KD has been teaching; especially defending the high ball screen and the defensive rotation when doubling a defender.

I've been to all of our home games, the exhibition at WVU and watched 2 of the 3 Bimini games on TV and I am loving the way this team is playing defense.  They are usually in good position with respect to their man and that disrupts the offensive flow of the opponent resulting in bad shots and turnovers.  57.2 points a game is some pretty good D!  No wonder Keith is happy with the results so far.

I agree, and love their energy, tenacity, and git on defense. Sometimes KD needs to kick them in the butt to get them started as they seem to like to dig holes to start the game, but once they turn it on they suffocate the other team.  The Dukes are now ranked 9th in the Country in three point defense.

11/26/2019 9:12 am  #67

CLK wrote:

VBC wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I agree, and love their energy, tenacity, and git on defense. Sometimes KD needs to kick them in the butt to get them started as they seem to like to dig holes to start the game, but once they turn it on they suffocate the other team.  The Dukes are now ranked 9th in the Country in three point defense.  The A10 has 8 teams in the top 100

11/26/2019 9:34 am  #68

What has me so excited about the defense is that they aren't doing it with any exotic looks or anything that teams might figure out once they get enough video of it. It has just been very sound defense. Stay in front of your man, get a hand in his face, and they'll miss an awful lot of shots. I expected to see more pressing, and still would like to, but the jump in defensive execution has been a very pleasant surprise so far this season.

11/26/2019 6:06 pm  #69

If we played all of our games at LaRoche we might end up at no.1 on the list.

11/26/2019 6:07 pm  #70

If we played all of our games at LaRoche we might end up at no.1 on the list.

Board footera