Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2019 6:27 pm  #1

Game Thread - VMI Keydets

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 12/4/2019 at the La Roche University Kerr Fitness Center, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #80 (6-0) vs VMI Keydets #315 (3-6; 1-6 vs. D-1)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 18, 75-57 - Dukes with 95% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 19 point favorites; Over/Under 132½
Duquesne 3-3 Against the Spread: VMI 2-5 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Indiana State (140); Loyola Marymount (188)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): N/A
VMI Best Win(s): UC Davis (306)
VMI Worst Loss(es): Marist (341); Idaho (336); Presbyterian (323)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at VMI for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (41)
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (316); Offensive Rebound % (283)
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (274)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (67); Effective FG % (85)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (19); Turnover % (34); Effective FG% (74)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
VMI Adj Offense Efficiency - 93.8, #289 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 93.1, #58 in D-1
VMI Adj Defense Efficiency - 106.5, #317 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.5, #112 in D-1
VMI Adj Tempo - 67.3, #266 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 68.9, #212 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - VMI 1.43 yrs, #261 in D-1; Dukes 1.40 yrs, #266 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - VMI 60.7%, #67 in D-1; Dukes 53.7%, #117 in D-1
Average Height - VMI 76.1", #286 in D-1; Dukes 76.1", #286 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (12/04/2019 12:10 pm)

12/03/2019 6:38 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - VMI Keydets

I'm also going to add some links from Haslametrics.com.  Erik Haslam comes at statistical analysis with a different methodology than KenPom.  I have noticed that some of the Haslametric stats are starting to creep into coach speak; in fact, Keith Dambrot talked about the "Consistency" numbers for the Dukes.

Here is the automated game preview for the Dukes vs. VMI:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=5379&tid2=4391&neut=0

Here is the link to the complete ratings page (he rates the Dukes as #38 in the country):  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

12/03/2019 9:37 pm  #3

The Haslam stuff is very cool. Thanks again for what you bring to the board.

12/04/2019 12:01 am  #4

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I'm also going to add some links from Haslametrics.com.  Erik Haslam comes at statistical analysis with a different methodology than KenPom.  I have noticed that some of the Haslametric stats are starting to creep into coach speak; in fact, Keith Dambrot talked about the "Consistency" numbers for the Dukes.

He also mentioned the mid-range defense stats. That doesn't necessarily mean it's coming from there, but it's certainly possible. Every analytics site does things a little differently like you said. Seeing coach mention two stats from the same site that I haven't seen elsewhere means he might be getting the data from the same place. Either way, thanks as always Phoenix. I love seeing the data for all the games.

Last edited by luckymcd (12/04/2019 12:02 am)

12/04/2019 9:24 am  #5

I also like to use Haslam because it seems to be more broken down than Kenpom and is also free 😁.

I've never seen the game breakdown before and it's so nice looking.

VMI's game is more favored to mid-range shooting like KD said....but that's not a positive thing for VMI, thats inefficient shooting.

Haslam also predicts a far larger beatdown than the 18 points Kenpom does

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/04/2019 7:09 pm  #6

One thing I've noticed this year is this team loves to pass out of open shots.

12/04/2019 7:32 pm  #7

Down by 11 to a very bad VMI team. That's just inexcusable.

Last edited by DuqLaw (12/04/2019 7:32 pm)

12/04/2019 7:35 pm  #8

DuqLaw wrote:

Not good! The undefeated talk, and power ranking following will come to a quick end if we don't wake up.

12/04/2019 7:44 pm  #9

I wouldn’t call VMI a very bad team; they are well-coached and move the ball extremely well in half-court offense.  They use ball screens to create mismatches, and take open shots.  Duquesne is confused by the matchup zone and shooting too many 3’s.  They need to drive the gaps and use their size advantage inside.

12/04/2019 7:45 pm  #10

duq81 wrote:

DuqLaw wrote:

Not good! The undefeated talk, and power ranking following will come to a quick end if we don't wake up.

Yeah, here at halftime all that talk is looking to be premature. We'll see.

12/04/2019 7:49 pm  #11

Cant be surprised by anything this team does.   7-0 start, 30–17 since.   Better get aggressive on offense, 24 pts vs this team is weeeeeak!

12/04/2019 8:45 pm  #12

townsonkid wrote:

Cant be surprised by anything this team does. 7-0 start, 30–17 since. Better get aggressive on offense, 24 pts vs this team is weeeeeak!

Too many turnovers on careless passing. Coach should clean that up. But nice ending. Score looks better than the close game in the first half.

12/04/2019 8:49 pm  #13

Ugly, but we'll take it. 7-0 for the first time in 40 years. The last time we exceeded that, we were still a name brand program, won 80% of our games, and Red was still our coach.

12/04/2019 9:02 pm  #14

Followed the script of most of our games. Hughes was pretty good tonight.

12/04/2019 9:12 pm  #15

WashPaRick wrote:

Followed the script of most of our games. Hughes was pretty good tonight.

Good that he played well on a night when Steele didn't do as much as usual.

12/04/2019 9:31 pm  #16

NapaDuke wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Cant be surprised by anything this team does. 7-0 start, 30–17 since. Better get aggressive on offense, 24 pts vs this team is weeeeeak!

Too many turnovers on careless passing. Coach should clean that up. But nice ending. Score looks better than the close game in the first half.

Arguably, coach did at the half. 10 of their 13 TOs were in the first half. FAR more disciplined in the 2nd.

12/04/2019 9:37 pm  #17

One of Carry's worst games, but he still chipped in enough for the win. The forced shots popped up again too. This is a very balanced team that thrives when everyone is involved on both sides of the court. When the forced shots happen and the ball movement suffers, they are very beatable. They struggled with discipline on defense in the first half too. Luckily as was mentioned already, coach cleaned it up at halftime, made some nice adjustments and they played a very good second half. We've really yet to put together a complete 40 minutes. I think we can compete with anyone we'll face if we do. Falling down early against inferior competition is cause for concern when the conference season hits though.

Last edited by luckymcd (12/04/2019 9:50 pm)

12/04/2019 9:40 pm  #18

Next goal, 8-0. The Dukes haven't been 8-0 since the 71-72 season. After that, 9-0, which we haven't been since 68-69, the last time we finished in the Top 10. Get that, and the most recent start that was better would be the 22-0 start in 53-54, on the way to a number 1 ranking.

12/04/2019 10:12 pm  #19

That Hughes was able to stay out of foul trouble and deploy his skills for an extended period was essential in this win.

The poor start-thing was temporarily disguised tonight because VMI missed all their early shots.  So it took awhile for the Dukes to fall behind. But the bad start thing is still there. The Dukes will not get by good A-10 teams by playing at this level, but the talent is there.  It's hard to understand why they come out of the gate so slow.

12/04/2019 11:17 pm  #20

I'm really pleased with tonight's win.  A poorly played first half on offense but they only gave up 30 points.  I told my friend who went to the game with me that I wasn't concerned given the defensive play.  I told him that the Dukes would hold VMI under 30 in the second half and score more than 40 to get the win.  Ugly wins are really satisfying wins.  This team is playing NCAA tournament level defense and they are just going to get better.  

After this ugly win tonight Columbia better watch out on Monday because I have a feeling they are going to see a very focused Duquesne Dukes basketball team.

12/05/2019 7:27 am  #21

I'm glad youse guys took a damn breath after halftime. I was ready to replace the Duke mascot with Eeyore.

We finally have a team with a lot of talent and a coach who knows how to use it. In years gone by, the Dukes were the ones to race off to the early lead, only to be worn down by superior players (and coaching). You also have to factor in the long layoff they just had, and the fact that every "home" game is a road game, because the Dukes don't get to practice in these gyms.

Enjoy it. Last time this team was 7-0, I was a student. That was a long, long, lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago.

I love this team, I love this staff, and I am thrilled by where the program is heading.

12/05/2019 8:45 am  #22

I just went to the Columbia Men’s Basketball Team site and looked at their scores and who they played.  This team is highly competitive and plays a tough schedule.  This will be a tough one - Dukes will have to play for 40 minutes.
It was nice seeing all of the stands filled last night and it is awesome being so close to the floor.  Go Dukes!

Board footera