Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2019 12:35 pm  #1

Happy 7-0, but .......

Here is a look at who we have played to date and their KenProm rankings. Plus I added each teams highest rated win. I used Ken Prom rankings, as the AD told me that is what the NCAA looks at.

Our opponent.        Opponents highest ranked win
Princeton 215.        Bucknell 212
Lamar 246.             Utah Valley 225
Lipscomb 196.        Navy 271
Indiana State 129   LMU 175
Air Force 187.        Texas State 126
LMU 175.               Southern Utah 168
VMI 309.                UC Davis 292

upcoming opponents 
Columbia 174.        Lehigh 233
Radford 125.          Northwestern 98
Austin Peay 203.    SE Louisiana 327
UAB 145.                Mt. St. Mary’s 241
Marshall 219.         Robert Morris 296

That is some really weak competition any way you look at it.  I am pleased as punched we are 7-0, but we must get better or I think we are in for a rude awakening once conference play starts.  Also take into consideration that there is no true road games on our schedule. ( I am aware that there also no true home game) Redford looks like the toughest opponent. As they are rated the highest, they own the highest rated victory but they got crushed by Monmouth (231) and lost to Bradley (130) Liberty (74)  and Ga Southern (131). Their other wins were a NAIA team and James Madison (the other Dukes) (264) 

Last edited by Wildwood13 (12/05/2019 2:25 pm)

12/05/2019 1:12 pm  #2

Re: Happy 7-0, but .......

7-0, its fun, should continue, and we are getting some media(not local) coverage, or twitter buzz.   We've been a bottom feeder in the A10, or lately a mid level team in the A10.   To be 7-0 is cool.   40 years since it happened last.   But yeah, we could be 12-0 and get destroyed vs SLU in game 1 of the A10 season.

12/05/2019 1:16 pm  #3

As I and many have pointed out ad nauseum, no one is buying Final Four tickets based on our current OOC record!!!!! No One!  Our OOC opponents are not Murderer's Row, but they are not the usual collection of NEC level teams and HBCUs (True not having Pitt on the schedule does hurt, because they were a quality opponent, but still), we are playing solid 100 and 200 level programs mostly.  

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/05/2019 1:49 pm  #4

Really tired of the unnecessary downers. 80% of Dukes teams from the past several decades would be 2-5 right now against this same schedule. Some would be 0-7.

Remember when Arkansas-Pine Bluff beat us? Mount St Mary’s in their first D1 year?

I can’t be bothered by this.

12/05/2019 1:49 pm  #5

Tejas_Duke wrote:

As I and many have pointed out ad nauseum, no one is buying Final Four tickets based on our current OOC record!!!!! No One!  Our OOC opponents are not Murderer's Row, but they are not the usual collection of NEC level teams and HBCUs (True not having Pitt on the schedule does hurt, because they were a quality opponent, but still), we are playing solid 100 and 200 level programs mostly.  

Thank you! As I've pointed out, we've had no problem getting beaten by these types of teams in the past, including at Palumbo. No one is saying it's the early 50s again, but we're having some fun with this. Too many worry warts on the board. Most of us expected a win total in the low 20s. Well, to get there, we needed to win 10 or 11 games ooc. We're on the path to do that. If we were 4-3, the same folks would be complaining.

12/05/2019 1:58 pm  #6

Why don’t you guys take a deep breathe and relax. It is just a point of reference. I am not predicting doom, but just some reality. The world is not made of marshmallows, rainbows and butterflies. That’s why this board does not have too many posters even when they are 7-0. You guys like to jump down people’s throats. This board should be booming with new posters, but its the same people as usual.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (12/05/2019 2:26 pm)

12/05/2019 2:20 pm  #7

Wildwood13 wrote:

This board should booming with new posters, but its the same people as usual.

We're in a good place. The long time fans are happy because we're better than we've been in a long time. It's true we don't know how good we are yet. Let's enjoy it while it lasts though, whether that be December, January, or March. The attention we are beginning to get nationally will bring in new fans (and more importantly recruits) if it continues. The last two times Duquesne basketball has gotten any national media attention was because of a blizzard and a shooting involving the team. It's nice to have the team get some attention for the way they are playing instead.

12/05/2019 2:31 pm  #8

luckymcd wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

We're in a good place. The long time fans are happy because we're better than we've been in a long time. It's true we don't know how good we are yet. Let's enjoy it while it lasts though, whether that be December, January, or March. The attention we are beginning to get nationally will bring in new fans (and more importantly recruits) if it continues. The last two times Duquesne basketball has gotten any national media attention was because of a blizzard and a shooting involving the team. It's nice to have the team get some attention for the way they are playing instead.

You’re telling yourself that you’re in a good place. I said the same thing a few weeks ago about the schedule and you guys tried to rip me. 7-0 against (profanity) competition. It’s the truth like he said, I’m not knocking the program in the slightest either. We have 10 active users on here id say. He is absolutely right

12/05/2019 3:07 pm  #9

The schedule is what it is. The Dukes have done what they should have done against it. Now let that sink in for a minute. We're winning games we're supposed to win and we're good enough that we're supposed to win those games. Good enough to be playing on a Sunday in March in Brooklyn, make the NCAAs or even the NIT? Not yet. But good enough to beat the suspect teams on the non-conference schedule (and we've seen worse in recent years), yes. It's a start. Personally, I'm not that impressed with the outside shooting or halfcourt offense in general and think it will soon cost us some wins. But I love the defense and the hustle, and the resiliency to not let bad starts/stretches in games take the team out of what they're trying to do. It's a work in progress for sure, but progress is being made and a lot of us are enjoying the ride. If you wish to begrudge us that, knock yourselves out. But the bandwagon won't start filling up until our name is called on Selection Sunday.

12/05/2019 4:26 pm  #10

Get better … how? The ultimate barometer is the W-L record and the record is 7-0.

Coach Dambrot is working in a new starter (Austin) and new guys into the rotation (Steele, Miller, Buckley). Kelly isn't back yet and Rotroff is still working his way into shape. F. Hughes was lost before the season started, and Eric Williams -- our best player the past two seasons -- left the program.

Where would you suggest improvement can be achieved?

As I stated in a previous post, getting one's panties in a knot over a slow start is not a fruitful venture. In bygone years, Ferry's teams had no problem roaring out to a lead against anyone, then getting crapkicked in the second half. That happens. The longer the game goes, the more better talent wins.

The defense has been stellar. We're outshooting and outrebounding opponents by a wide margin, getting more assists, making fewer TOs.

So what do you mean by better?

12/05/2019 4:32 pm  #11

Godukes2017 wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

You’re telling yourself that you’re in a good place. I said the same thing a few weeks ago about the schedule and you guys tried to rip me. 7-0 against (profanity) competition. It’s the truth like he said, I’m not knocking the program in the slightest either. We have 10 active users on here id say. He is absolutely right

We have way more than 10 people actively using this site. Many have been part of this and predecessor boards for more than 20 years. There are reasons why folks don't post regularly, but there are hundreds who come here just to read every day. As I type this, 28 people are reading the board.

12/05/2019 4:56 pm  #12

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Thank you! As I've pointed out, we've had no problem getting beaten by these types of teams in the past, including at Palumbo. No one is saying it's the early 50s again, but we're having some fun with this. Too many worry warts on the board. Most of us expected a win total in the low 20s. Well, to get there, we needed to win 10 or 11 games ooc. We're on the path to do that. If we were 4-3, the same folks would be complaining.

If you are a hammer...everything looks like a nail.

12/05/2019 5:01 pm  #13

ElDuque wrote:

Get better … how? The ultimate barometer is the W-L record and the record is 7-0.

Coach Dambrot is working in a new starter (Austin) and new guys into the rotation (Steele, Miller, Buckley). Kelly isn't back yet and Rotroff is still working his way into shape. F. Hughes was lost before the season started, and Eric Williams -- our best player the past two seasons -- left the program.

As I stated in a previous post, getting one's panties in a knot over a slow start is not a fruitful venture. In bygone years, Ferry's teams had no problem roaring out to a lead against anyone, then getting crapkicked in the second half. That happens. The longer the game goes, the more better talent wins.

The defense has been stellar. We're outshooting and outrebounding opponents by a wide margin, getting more assists, making fewer TOs.

This OOC schedule is just fine, considering, this team and coach are fine-tuning who is to come in and when.  Many of these players are still developing one way or another.  And consider that these Dukes don't have a home court on top of developing.  These Dukes have a chance to go toe to toe in Conf. play if they keep developing and that Coach can get a good feel as to who is to be in there and when.  At the very least, they are making this season at least worth looking forward to.  On the Bluff, that's something. Go Dukes. 

12/05/2019 5:55 pm  #14

ElDuque wrote:

Now you want to pile on. The same guy who chastised me last year for my prediction of wins. When asked on this board to make a friendly wager on who would be closer in wins, me or you, and the winner would choose which charity they would donate the proceeds to, what was your reply ? The only thing I heard was Crickets.

If you feel the ultimate barometer is wins and losses no matter who you play, then you must of never seen a selection show. Also, if you feel an undefeated team has no room to improve, then you have a lot to learn about sports teams. Since you asked, here are my thoughts of what the team needs to improve on. On offense, moving the ball without dribbling so much, shot selection, moving without the ball, better shooting % and executing half court sets better. The defense has been superb. I only wonder if they are doing so well is because the competition is below average.

In my opening statement on this subject, all I did was list the teams they played, upcoming opponents, their ranking and their best victory. Said I was happy with 7-0 record but I do believe they need to improve. Now what you guys read into it is not my fault. Never any disparaging remarks about the team, individual players, or coaches. Never said don't enjoy the ride, never stated don't celebrate too early, never said don't get your final four tickets. I have been a Dukes fan since the 1968 team and enjoy rooting for them as well as all A-10 teams. Me, my wife and four of my daughters graduated from DU, and I wish them well. So read my post knowing I want the best for them and quit acting like I am tearing them apart. Because that never happened. Read don't read into my post.

12/05/2019 6:03 pm  #15

I refuse to be unhappy when times are good.    I will be unhappy when times are bad.

12/05/2019 6:37 pm  #16

A83 wrote:

I refuse to be unhappy when times are good. I will be unhappy when times are bad.

I'm with you.  I'm very happy right now.

There's plenty of room for improvement in areas listed by other posters above and that improvement must happen if this team is going to be worthy of an at large bid which I think it will be.  Superb and stellar are adjectives that I'm liking when describing the defense but it needs to keep improving also.  If things stagnate either offensively or defensively we'll be in trouble.

I'm very happy that we're 7-0 because we must be in order to achieve the goal of a tourney bid.  The schedule isn't strong and if we weren't 7-0 right now getting an at large bid could be out of the picture already.  I'm of the opinion that with this schedule we need to be 12-0 to get real consideration and I think we'll do that.

I'm also happy because of the way the defense is being played right in front of my eyes.  These guys are playing very well right now and I think they are getting better and more confident in Keith's coaching and game plans as the season is progressing. 

Defense wins championships and from what I've seen I think the Dukes can compete for the league championship this year.  Maybe not win it, but at least make a good run at both the regular season and tournament championships.  I've seen a lot of A-10 basketball going all the way back to the ECBL and this year's Duquesne Dukes are playing defense at a level that A-10 teams who have earned an at large bid played at.  They must not only keep that level of play up but improve on it. I think they can and will.  That's why I'm really happy, because I think this year's Duquesne Dukes can and will reach the NCAA tournament in March.  I may not be buying my tickets for the tournament yet, but I've got a good feeling that I will be the first day they are on sale.

12/05/2019 7:04 pm  #17

Wildwood13 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Now you want to pile on. The same guy who chastised me last year for my prediction of wins. When asked on this board to make a friendly wager on who would be closer in wins, me or you, and the winner would choose which charity they would donate the proceeds to, what was your reply ? The only thing I heard was Crickets.

If you feel the ultimate barometer is wins and losses no matter who you play, then you must of never seen a selection show. Also, if you feel an undefeated team has no room to improve, then you have a lot to learn about sports teams. Since you asked, here are my thoughts of what the team needs to improve on. On offense, moving the ball without dribbling so much, shot selection, moving without the ball, better shooting % and executing half court sets better. The defense has been superb. I only wonder if they are doing so well is because the competition is below average.

In my opening statement on this subject, all I did was list the teams they played, upcoming opponents, their ranking and their best victory. Said I was happy with 7-0 record but I do believe they need to improve. Now what you guys read into it is not my fault. Never any disparaging remarks about the team, individual players, or coaches. Never said don't enjoy the ride, never stated don't celebrate too early, never said don't get your final four tickets. I have been a Dukes fan since the 1968 team and enjoy rooting for them as well as all A-10 teams. Me, my wife and four of my daughters graduated from DU, and I wish them well. So read my post knowing I want the best for them and quit acting like I am tearing them apart. Because that never happened. Read don't read into my post.

I think it is "you or me"   Just sayin  ;-)

12/05/2019 7:10 pm  #18

VBC wrote:

A83 wrote:

I refuse to be unhappy when times are good. I will be unhappy when times are bad.

I'm with you.  I'm very happy right now.

There's plenty of room for improvement in areas listed by other posters above and that improvement must happen if this team is going to be worthy of an at large bid which I think it will be.  Superb and stellar are adjectives that I'm liking when describing the defense but it needs to keep improving also.  If things stagnate either offensively or defensively we'll be in trouble.

I'm very happy that we're 7-0 because we must be in order to achieve the goal of a tourney bid.  The schedule isn't strong and if we weren't 7-0 right now getting an at large bid could be out of the picture already.  I'm of the opinion that with this schedule we need to be 12-0 to get real consideration and I think we'll do that.

I'm also happy because of the way the defense is being played right in front of my eyes.  These guys are playing very well right now and I think they are getting better and more confident in Keith's coaching and game plans as the season is progressing. 

Defense wins championships and from what I've seen I think the Dukes can compete for the league championship this year.  Maybe not win it, but at least make a good run at both the regular season and tournament championships.  I've seen a lot of A-10 basketball going all the way back to the ECBL and this year's Duquesne Dukes are playing defense at a level that A-10 teams who have earned an at large bid played at.  They must not only keep that level of play up but improve on it. I think they can and will.  That's why I'm really happy, because I think this year's Duquesne Dukes can and will reach the NCAA tournament in March.  I may not be buying my tickets for the tournament yet, but I've got a good feeling that I will be the first day they are on sale.

Trust me....even if they go undefeated and win the National Championship, KD always expects improvement...on the court and off.  There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

12/05/2019 7:12 pm  #19

VBC, agree 100%.  This team is talented and deep. I really don't understand why the Dukes play the Rope-A-Dope game early and dig holes, but when the Dukes "decide" it is time to ratchet up the defense the word I use is suffocating. To be honest the Dukes offense has struggled scoring and with careless turnovers (allthough we see that getting better). The Dukes have yet to put it all together for 40 minutes and even so we are 7-0. Despite the scoring droughts, the defense has been solid, and it seems that in each game we have somebody different stepping up on offense.  Steele, Weathers, Sincere, Norman, had their turn in the Bahamas and last night it was Mike Hughes with a career night scoring 23.  We have guys who can score big. They just need to put it al together.  I have no doubt their best basketball is yet to come.

Last edited by CLK (12/05/2019 7:16 pm)

12/05/2019 7:22 pm  #20

Dsnyder15 wrote:

....even if they go undefeated and win the National Championship, KD always expects improvement...

That's what I like about Keith and what gives me such confidence in the direction the team is going.

CLK wrote:

I have no doubt their best basketball is yet to come.

It's such a joy to be seeing after all these years in the wilderness.

12/06/2019 6:16 am  #21

CLK wrote:

VBC, agree 100%.  This team is talented and deep. I really don't understand why the Dukes play the Rope-A-Dope game early and dig holes, but when the Dukes "decide" it is time to ratchet up the defense the word I use is suffocating. To be honest the Dukes offense has struggled scoring and with careless turnovers (allthough we see that getting better). The Dukes have yet to put it all together for 40 minutes and even so we are 7-0. Despite the scoring droughts, the defense has been solid, and it seems that in each game we have somebody different stepping up on offense.  Steele, Weathers, Sincere, Norman, had their turn in the Bahamas and last night it was Mike Hughes with a career night scoring 23.  We have guys who can score big. They just need to put it al together.  I have no doubt their best basketball is yet to come.

In the post game interview with Ray & JD after the VMI game, when asked about the team’s 7-0 start Mike Hughes referenced “Defense Travels.”

Suffocating is a good description CLK.

It’s been a pleasant surprise that defense is one of the key characteristics of this team’s early success & it certainly helps minimize the lack of a home court .... because they “travel” for every game.

When they do get a full 40, and they are getting close, look out.  Can’t wait to see that box score.

12/06/2019 8:18 am  #22

Was scrolling threw twitter last night, saw a few messages from DU folk regarding 7-0, and some other media asked who is better this year, pitt or Duquesne.   Oh my!   The responses from pitt jobbers were what you would expect.   A school that gets ALL the media coverage couldnt handle a goofy online poll.    We played 4 P5 teams and you played nobody, bla bla blahhhh.   Someone commented back, see you in the NIT!   :-)

12/06/2019 8:20 am  #23

I think aside from the record, is the margin of victory. When good teams play bad teams, the good team win by a comfortable to large margin - which the Dukes have done. I think there is value in saying - "let's not pop off, bragging how good the Dukes are to other fanbases", because we don't know what happens when they play tougher competition - but yeah - I am having a blast looking at that map of the undefeated teams, wondering when the Dukes will get to claim Ohio or New England.

12/06/2019 10:20 am  #24

townsonkid wrote:

Was scrolling threw twitter last night, saw a few messages from DU folk regarding 7-0, and some other media asked who is better this year, pitt or Duquesne.   Oh my!

The only way to determine that is to play each other. I could never understand why some entrepreneur could not figure out a way to resurrect the Steel Bowl.  Have Pitt, Penn State, Duquesne and West Virginia play a two day tournament random draw first day and winner vs winner and loser vs loser second day.  Play at PPG with Pitt and DU alternate hosts, or alternate venues with all four teams.  I would think it would be a big money maker for everybody.  I know some may say why not Robert Morris?  That could be a possibility, but I think it would be more attractive to Pitt and WVU to have Penn State in the mix, and vice versa for Penn State.  

Last edited by CLK (12/06/2019 10:23 am)

12/06/2019 10:26 am  #25

great idea makes sense

Board footera