Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2013 3:53 pm  #276

Re: Recruiting

Phildog wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Looks like the talent level in Pittsburgh is starting to heat up again.

If they do decide to play together, Duquesne certainly has a history of twins and brothers (Nelsons, Barrs, Ricketts).
moe Barr was from Pittsburgh, Mike Barr was from Ohio, I never heard they were related.

And on an unrelated but funny note regarding twins ...  

The real question on the Bluff is: are either of the Luther twin brothers any good at wrestling bears?  

5/09/2013 5:14 pm  #277

Chief Cohen ▲ ‏@SandyCohenIII
"De Paul and Duquesne are expressing recruiting interest in junior Playground Elite wing Jerrelle Deberry @JaySav3Hunna , 6'5" WG 2014.”

5/09/2013 7:50 pm  #278

I often wonder what passes for "interest" and whether a player's own peeps fluff the twitter world with over estimations of who is interested in who. At some point kids can now create their own paparazzi.  I'd like a school to say "no--we aren't interested in X despite what he says.".

5/09/2013 7:57 pm  #279

GOOD Point Jeralta -  One player once told John Wooden when he was at UCLA "There are 50 Schools After Me"  Wooden responded "Name 50 schools PERIOD -  Not ones that are necesarilly recruiting you - just name 50 schools"  The kid named about 7!! 

Wonder how "much interest" some of the schools chasing the kids are things like sending out questionaires or bulk mailings???

5/09/2013 9:38 pm  #280

SkepticAl wrote:

GOOD Point Jeralta -  One player once told John Wooden when he was at UCLA "There are 50 Schools After Me"  Wooden responded "Name 50 schools PERIOD -  Not ones that are necesarilly recruiting you - just name 50 schools"  The kid named about 7!! 

Wonder how "much interest" some of the schools chasing the kids are things like sending out questionaires or bulk mailings???

It has to be a good thing when a post relates so well to the poster's nom de plume.

5/10/2013 5:42 am  #281

I'm glad to see there is excitement with all this change from recruiting and it's nice to see the excitement on the boards. I don't want to pee in anyone's cheerios but I still think we are at least two years away from being an above .500 team in the conference.

Too many new faces and too many first-year D-I players to do much more than double-digit wins in a weakened conference next season. But at least Ferry is making an attempt to change.

5/10/2013 8:23 am  #282

It all comes down to how many of these guys stick around the Bluff for 3-4 years.  

If Ferry keeps these kids together, they can be legit.

5/10/2013 8:42 am  #283

Here is an article on some local prospects including the Luther twins.

http://www.pittsburghbasketballreport.com/HGTop1002013.html

5/10/2013 6:16 pm  #284

Are Clancy & Porter the sons of you-know-who?

5/10/2013 7:22 pm  #285

ElDuque wrote:

DJ Porter is Darelle Porter's son.  Not sure if Dale Clancy is any relation to Sam

5/11/2013 7:05 am  #286

Guess we can cross those two off the list.

5/11/2013 10:17 am  #287

ElDuque wrote:

I doubt that Sam Clancy would have a problem with one of his kids becoming a Duke if indeed that was his kid. Porter might be another story.

5/11/2013 11:24 am  #288

ElDuque wrote:

Clancy  is regarded as the 12th best member of the class of 2014 in WPIAL. Let's hope he's not on the list in the first place.

Last edited by steve19981 (5/11/2013 11:25 am)

5/11/2013 12:00 pm  #289

CLK wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

DJ Porter is Darelle Porter's son.  Not sure if Dale Clancy is any relation to Sam

CKL, given the size of Dale Clancy in the photo you posted, I would find it hard to believe that 5' 10" Dale Clancy is the son of Sam Clancy.  It might even be a stretch (no pun intended) to think he is a relative of Sam.  I'm sure that a local sports writer will eventually address the lineage question.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (5/11/2013 2:04 pm)

5/11/2013 1:23 pm  #290

godukes1970 wrote:

CLK wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

CKL, given the size of Dale Cancy in the photo you posted, I would find it hard to believe that 5' 10" Dale Clancy is the son of Sam Clancy.  It might even be a stretch (no pun intended) to think he is a relative of Sam.  I'm sure that a local sports writer will eventually address the lineage question.  

I agree my friend.  I just did not know for sure. 

5/11/2013 2:02 pm  #291

If both Luthers accept their offers we have a fuull boat for next year too. At least on paper.

5/11/2013 4:48 pm  #292

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I doubt that Sam Clancy would have a problem with one of his kids becoming a Duke if indeed that was his kid. Porter might be another story.

Sam Jr. (USC) played quite a few years ago. I wasn't suggesting anything about recruiting them, I simply asked if there were any relation. That aside, I would have thought with Darelle Porter coaching the best AAU players in the city that either Everhart or Ferry would have made some peace with him. There's no one at Duquesne who was there when he coached the Dukes and I think any grudges would be set aside.

5/11/2013 8:23 pm  #293

I think he would still be  Angry because it is still Duquesne.  I mean didn't the guy have to pay for his own cell phone?

Last edited by FAM (5/11/2013 8:23 pm)

5/12/2013 8:12 am  #294

FAM wrote:

I think he would still be  Angry because it is still Duquesne.  I mean didn't the guy have to pay for his own cell phone?

Listen, DAP is a good guy. He was put into a position that was almost impossible, very little budget and support, asst. that were younger than him and an A.D. Who was the worst Duquesnemevery had.He always was kind to me and a joy to be around, but A1 basketball is a business and not always fair to it employees.

A diehard fan since 1961

5/12/2013 9:00 am  #295

Phildog wrote:

FAM wrote:

Listen, DAP is a good guy. He was put into a position that was almost impossible, very little budget and support, asst. that were younger than him and an A.D. Who was the worst Duquesnemevery had.He always was kind to me and a joy to be around, but A1 basketball is a business and not always fair to it employees.

This is on point 100%. The cell phone thing was just a symptom of the lack of commitment during DAP's run. He didn't fail because he had to pay for his own cell phone, but the fact that the school wouldn't pay for the coaches phones shows how little support they were given. DAP tried very hard, and is one ex coach who should not be abused on this board. He was given an impossible job at the age of 29, and was handed the worst staff you can imagine, and no support from up top. He had almost no chance to succeed here.

5/15/2013 2:07 pm  #296

Coast 2 Coast Hoops ‏@Coast2CoastHoop
'14 All Ohio Red wing Evan Bailey has offers Cornell, Princeton, Kent State, Toledo, College of Charleston, Miami OH & Duquesne.

5/20/2013 4:20 pm  #297

Kurt J. Stubbs II ‏@Ohiohshoops

Javon Bess (6'5/WF/2014) of Gahanna Lincoln was offered by Duquesne today according to his father.

Rivals has him at a three stars recruit.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/duquesne/basketball/recruiting/player-Javon-Bess-140703;_ylt=AmMxgQPJXl3TnPWrLLvNOrWurpB4

Last edited by CLK (5/20/2013 4:36 pm)

5/20/2013 5:02 pm  #298

Nice ball-player. Looks like a solid three-star.

5/21/2013 4:33 pm  #299

Verbal Commits ‏@VerbalCommits 2014 Kell (GA) F Grant Bryant is receiving interest from Cincinnati and Duquesne. @GrantMBryant

video and information in link below

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/grant-bryant

Last edited by CLK (5/21/2013 4:35 pm)

5/28/2013 12:22 pm  #300

If what I'm seeing on the A-10 message board is right Scout has us tied for 4th best recruiting class in the A-10.

Board footera