Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2019 8:57 pm  #1

8 in a row

The women beat Cornell in Ithaca, NY tonight 72-62 to match the men with an 8 game winning streak.

12/10/2019 9:10 pm  #2

Re: 8 in a row

That is a combined 16 in a row for both programs.   That’s incredible. 

Women game was really never in doubt once they took the lead in the first.   NCAA leading 6 true road wins with 2 other teams.

Last edited by A83 (12/10/2019 9:18 pm)

12/10/2019 9:16 pm  #3

Road wins are really great. It was not the Dukes best game shooting wise or on D, but the team has toughness when it counts. The last two games, they made plays at the end of the game after some mid fourth quarter lulls. 8 wins in a row is a good testament. Keep going, Dukes!

12/10/2019 11:00 pm  #4

Most of you have watched the team more than me, since I am out in California, but from my perspective, the best defensive game Duquesne has played on the road this season against a quality opponent who was very physical.  The Dukes matched their physicality.  

I have complained about Duquesne's man-to-man defense in the past and though there were a few lapses, their man-to-man has improved significantly.

They are playing like a tough road warrior team.  Their offense is now multi-dimensional.  They can shoot threes, but they're not relying on the 3-ball as their primary weapon (a huge improvement).  They can post inside and drive to the hoop.  

Most-importantly; they are playing with attitude.  

12/11/2019 12:43 am  #5

Cornell is one of the best rebounding teams in the country (statistic wise)  DU out rebounded them by one - Libby (the smallest player on the DU line up) had 12 rebounds!!!   Once again team shot really well from the free throw line -

WELL DESERVED WIN FOR THE LADIES!!!!

12/11/2019 1:16 pm  #6

Coach Burt in his Twitter interview revealed a crazy stat last night.   The 8 wins have been at 8 different venues.   2 home and 6 road. 

They have played 10 games at 10 different venues.  3 home and 7 away.    The fact they are 8-2 shows the heart of this team.

12/11/2019 4:52 pm  #7

I know it's very early, and teams change during the season; some make progress and others don't.  The coaches took some heat for the disappointing start last season, but I think they've done a great job with this team.  I really like the physicality of the team, which we definitely lacked in recent years. 

12/11/2019 5:26 pm  #8

Yes, the physicality of the team is apparent at all positions, but especially with your guards.  Not to take anything away from the previous guard combo which generated a ton of points, Amanda, Libby and now a healthy Nina Aho, are strong and do not get pushed around.  In fact, all three of them have the ability to score inside while absorbing punishment as well as shoot the three.  That, along with their improved defensive tenacity, is a big reason for the Dukes' success.

I'll speak for myself on this, but I have not seen this kind of physicality and toughness from Duquesne in a long time.  I would not be surprised if Assistant Coach Vanessa's mentoring the guards is contributing to the performance.  A great move to get her on the staff.  

12/11/2019 11:55 pm  #9

I think there is another hidden factor that will continue to factor this season - Amaya Hamilton.  Amaya is a prototypical swing player who is comfortable both inside and outside.  With her size and length, she presents most teams with a problem matching up. We have not had a guard/forward like this since Orsi. Amaya’s defense is strong and she rebounds well.  She is a capable shooter. A10 teams will find her difficult to handle.

12/12/2019 12:45 am  #10

Agree. Have said for awhile that Hamilton has the potential to be your superstar.  Dan believes she can be someone special.  

12/12/2019 9:03 am  #11

I know this has been mentioned or implied...but I think back to a game last year I went to which they lost.  Afterwards, I watched some of the girls arguing with each other in the stands.  Not a good look.  Sometimes when you have some “elite” players this gets to their heads.  I am sure the team closeness and missing a few head cases has also played into their winning.

12/12/2019 11:42 am  #12

I don't think we had any "head cases." I've appreciated every player who has worn the red and blue.

12/12/2019 11:51 am  #13

When players are passionate about the sport and disappointed in the results, they will sometimes argue. 

After the result of the Davidson game, they cleared the air and moved on.

Labeling them “head cases” is harsh.

Last edited by A83 (12/12/2019 2:28 pm)

12/12/2019 1:37 pm  #14

Despite losing two key players (Nina for nearly the entire season and Connor for several games and then was limited upon her return - these were among their best defenders)  AND playing what might have been their toughest schedule in years - last year's team DID win 19 games.  ONE more win might have gotten another NIT bid -  and eased some of this criticism.

Don't really think that their senior year was different from the first three - other than shots which may have fallen in years 1-2-3 did not fall in year 4 and this might have led to the frustration.

Agree with A83's  idea that calling them "Head Cases" is incorrect.

12/12/2019 2:29 pm  #15

They deserved the WNIT bid over Dayton.

12/12/2019 7:06 pm  #16

A83 wrote:

They deserved the WNIT bid over Dayton.

Although they smacked Dayton fairly good in Head-to-Head -  Dayton's full body of work was probably better -  Also the really lopsided loss to Fordham in one semi-final might have pushed Dayton ahead of DU.

Board footera