Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2019 8:16 am  #1

Amari Kelly

Does anyone know how the rehab is going for Amari?  Is the plan still in place for him to return to the court in January?  If he can regain his mobility etc., I think he could be a valuable addition off the bench.

12/22/2019 8:40 am  #2

Re: Amari Kelly

It is certain that Amari is working hard to regain playing status, but I would hope that the Dukes redshirt him. Austin Rotroff still is shaky after his rehab. The question is how much time would Amari get as a backup to Bailee Steele. A few minutes a game simply is not good when you gain another year if he redshirts. We will need him next year, not as much this year. Redshirting Amari makes sense. Go Dukes!

12/22/2019 10:17 am  #3

When I saw this topic I thought for sure it was going to be a transfer announcement. I really hope he stsys the course.

DU is a better program with Amari.

12/22/2019 10:17 am  #4

HookShot wrote:

It is certain that Amari is working hard to regain playing status, but I would hope that the Dukes redshirt him. Austin Rotroff still is shaky after his rehab. The question is how much time would Amari get as a backup to Bailee Steele. A few minutes a game simply is not good when you gain another year if he redshirts. We will need him next year, not as much this year. Redshirting Amari makes sense. Go Dukes!

Agree with this. Unless he's basically ready in the next ten days, redshirt him.

12/22/2019 10:24 am  #5

duq81 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

Agree with this. Unless he's basically ready in the next ten days, redshirt him.

And KD basically said as much in a recent interview. He brought up trying to do the right thing for Amari - burning an eligibility year and only getting 6-8 minutes a game? Barring a big man injury, he will be redshirted.

12/22/2019 10:57 am  #6

duq81 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

What if he transfers because you redshirt him?  Perhaps KD has no choice but to let him come back because Amari holds the cards.

12/22/2019 11:17 am  #7

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

What if he transfers because you redshirt him?  Perhaps KD has no choice but to let him come back because Amari holds the cards.

Why would Amari want to come back this year if he’s not going to be in game shape or earn significant minutes until early February at best?

12/22/2019 11:22 am  #8

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Why would Amari want to come back this year if he’s not going to be in game shape or earn significant minutes until early February at best?

Because he wants to play?

12/22/2019 11:24 am  #9

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I agree with you but I'm not sure that's how he is thinking. There was one game in the post game press conference where KD addressed this. Its a tough spot as he mentioned.

12/22/2019 11:29 am  #10

I'm pretty sure KD said it would be up to Amari, as it should be.

12/23/2019 8:38 am  #11

I always thought a RS year was going to happen.  Again, why play in a handful of games, a few minutes, and maybe not feel at ease with the knee.  Rotroff doesnt look good out there.   But, not every knee will be the same.  Kelly might feel great and have all his skills back.   But I wouldnt rush him back to be the 5th F on the team.   Maybe try practicing him and Ellis as a duo, let them get familiar with each others skill sets.   

12/23/2019 9:41 am  #12

townsonkid wrote:

I always thought a RS year was going to happen.  Again, why play in a handful of games, a few minutes, and maybe not feel at ease with the knee.  Rotroff doesnt look good out there.   But, not every knee will be the same.  Kelly might feel great and have all his skills back.   But I wouldnt rush him back to be the 5th F on the team.   Maybe try practicing him and Ellis as a duo, let them get familiar with each others skill sets.   

With the Dukes now needing to shed a player before next year, I could see someone from this group of three being a candidate to walk the plank. I had thought that maybe one of the transfers might depart via the grad transfer route, but as starters on what will likely project as a top 40-45 team, there's really not much incentive for them to do that. I guess with two more guards coming in, one of the freshman guards might decide to go, but both have shown promise, and are getting at least some minutes, so a departure there is not obvious.

12/23/2019 12:52 pm  #13

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

With the Dukes now needing to shed a player before next year, I could see someone from this group of three being a candidate to walk the plank. I had thought that maybe one of the transfers might depart via the grad transfer route, but as starters on what will likely project as a top 40-45 team, there's really not much incentive for them to do that. I guess with two more guards coming in, one of the freshman guards might decide to go, but both have shown promise, and are getting at least some minutes, so a departure there is not obvious.

Jett, Tyson and Andre are in.  Only Steele departs.  Do we need to lose 2?

12/23/2019 1:15 pm  #14

2 current scholarship players will have to go if 3 more are coming in.

FHughes,Buckley,& Ellis seem the most obvious candidates. Ellis has to be have the highest likelihood given the obvious disconnect with the program's ethics.

Norman seems possible if not likely given rumblings from last year & TDM's entrenchment in this year's starting lineup. FHughes, TDM, & Norman can't really hope to productively co-exist with Acuff coming in can they?

It feels both luxurious & weird to think about this topic & be disappointed in some way with the prospect of any player moving on. What a difference 3 years makes.

12/23/2019 1:29 pm  #15

Things will work out.  I really don't like speculating publicly on players leaving.  Just not healthy for the team.

12/23/2019 1:56 pm  #16

CLK wrote:

Things will work out.  I really don't like speculating publicly on players leaving.  Just not healthy for the team.

Yeah, you can make general speculations, but don't really want to pinpoint players, although I'd be stunned if Frankie Hughes didn't grad transfer. No knock on him, but because of the injury, and lost season. I'd expect him to look for a place where he can probably slide right into the starting lineup for his final year. In the same position, I know that's what I'd do.

12/23/2019 2:00 pm  #17

I agree with CLK. This is similar to the bull that went on last season, which degenerated to certain posters making unfounded claims about players and their families. Let the process play out. Respect the kids and their families. Be a fan base the program can be proud of. 

Apologies for the dangling preposition.

12/23/2019 4:54 pm  #18

Turnover every year in basketball. No bad blood with players and coaches most times. Frankie Hughes, Marcus Weathers, Mike Hughes, TDM are all grad transfers after this season. I’m not a jinx guy or toxic to the board but with how today’s game is don’t be surprised if they try to explore their options. Again I’m not saying this as a knock but it is 2020 now. NCAA is stepping stones with levels for each player trying to make money. All I will say. CLK is also true. If you think players don’t know about this page your fooled. There’s a fan page for most teams in the country. Players obviously don’t care but they know.

12/23/2019 5:19 pm  #19

Godukes2017 wrote:

Turnover every year in basketball. No bad blood with players and coaches most times. Frankie Hughes, Marcus Weathers, Mike Hughes, TDM are all grad transfers after this season. I’m not a jinx guy or toxic to the board but with how today’s game is don’t be surprised if they try to explore their options. Again I’m not saying this as a knock but it is 2020 now. NCAA is stepping stones with levels for each player trying to make money. All I will say. CLK is also true. If you think players don’t know about this page your fooled. There’s a fan page for most teams in the country. Players obviously don’t care but they know.

M Hughes, TDM and Weathers followed KD to Duq....don't see them leaving.

12/23/2019 5:24 pm  #20

My ordinal Topic was simply to inquire as to any knowledge some might have regarding the rehab and recovery of Amari Kelly; a young man who, before the injury showed much promise.  The thread got hijacked into the typical numbers discussion and transfer chatter. 

I’d like to  put this conversation back on track.  I tend to look at Amari’s situation a bit differently than many of the responders who fully expect Amari to take a redshirt.  I’d still defer to Amari to make the call; but as mentioned above guys recover differently from knee surgery; so comparing Austin Rottrof to Amari doesn’t work for me.  If Amari has progressed very quickly; he could really help this team off the bench.  He can be a dynamic shot blocker, and has a nice touch around the hoop.  I see him not as a fifth option but as a 3rd option after Mike Hughes and Steele.  Given the tendency for bigs to collect fouls quickly; Amari could help us win a few conference games that we might otherwise lose.  Just a thought.

12/23/2019 5:30 pm  #21

levon1975 wrote:

My ordinal Topic was simply to inquire as to any knowledge some might have regarding the rehab and recovery of Amari Kelly; a young man who, before the injury showed much promise.  The thread got hijacked into the typical numbers discussion and transfer chatter. 

I’d like to  put this conversation back on track.  I tend to look at Amari’s situation a bit differently than many of the responders who fully expect Amari to take a redshirt.  I’d still defer to Amari to make the call; but as mentioned above guys recover differently from knee surgery; so comparing Austin Rottrof to Amari doesn’t work for me.  If Amari has progressed very quickly; he could really help this team off the bench.  He can be a dynamic shot blocker, and has a nice touch around the hoop.  I see him not as a fifth option but as a 3rd option after Mike Hughes and Steele.  Given the tendency for bigs to collect fouls quickly; Amari could help us win a few conference games that we might otherwise lose.  Just a thought.

He had trouble staying on the court last year because if fouls. I prefer he RS so he starts the season with the team and goes through the OOC schedule.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/23/2019 5:30 pm)

12/23/2019 6:10 pm  #22

levon1975 wrote:

My ordinal Topic was simply to inquire as to any knowledge some might have regarding the rehab and recovery of Amari Kelly; a young man who, before the injury showed much promise. The thread got hijacked into the typical numbers discussion and transfer chatter.

I’d like to put this conversation back on track. I tend to look at Amari’s situation a bit differently than many of the responders who fully expect Amari to take a redshirt. I’d still defer to Amari to make the call; but as mentioned above guys recover differently from knee surgery; so comparing Austin Rottrof to Amari doesn’t work for me. If Amari has progressed very quickly; he could really help this team off the bench. He can be a dynamic shot blocker, and has a nice touch around the hoop. I see him not as a fifth option but as a 3rd option after Mike Hughes and Steele. Given the tendency for bigs to collect fouls quickly; Amari could help us win a few conference games that we might otherwise lose. Just a thought.

I agree this should be Amar's call, however, from the teams perspective if he is healthy and cleared he should play.  We need either Rotroff or Kelly to step up to take over the role of Baily Steele next year.  Right now it seems Rotroff is struggling to come back from his injury.  He has yet to make a basket this year, in his limited play, and his mobility still looks to be gingerly. Please note I am not criticizing him.  He has talent, we have seen it.  It is so regrettable that both of these men have suffered these injuries.  But like I said we need at least one of the guys to be ready next season.  So again if the coach feels that Kelly is progressing faster I would like to see him play.

12/23/2019 8:37 pm  #23

CLK wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

My ordinal Topic was simply to inquire as to any knowledge some might have regarding the rehab and recovery of Amari Kelly; a young man who, before the injury showed much promise. The thread got hijacked into the typical numbers discussion and transfer chatter.

I’d like to put this conversation back on track. I tend to look at Amari’s situation a bit differently than many of the responders who fully expect Amari to take a redshirt. I’d still defer to Amari to make the call; but as mentioned above guys recover differently from knee surgery; so comparing Austin Rottrof to Amari doesn’t work for me. If Amari has progressed very quickly; he could really help this team off the bench. He can be a dynamic shot blocker, and has a nice touch around the hoop. I see him not as a fifth option but as a 3rd option after Mike Hughes and Steele. Given the tendency for bigs to collect fouls quickly; Amari could help us win a few conference games that we might otherwise lose. Just a thought.

I agree this should be Amar's call, however, from the teams perspective if he is healthy and cleared he should play.  We need either Rotroff or Kelly to step up to take over the role of Baily Steele next year.  Right now it seems Rotroff is struggling to come back from his injury.  He has yet to make a basket this year, in his limited play, and his mobility still looks to be gingerly. Please note I am not criticizing him.  He has talent, we have seen it.  It is so regrettable that both of these men have suffered these injuries.  But like I said we need at least one of the guys to be ready next season.  So again if the coach feels that Kelly is progressing faster I would like to see him play.

Depends on when he's ready. If he's ready before the middle of January, I'd consider playing him. If he's not ready by then, there's no sense in his burning a year to play in 10 games.

12/23/2019 8:42 pm  #24

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

Agree with this. They're starters on what should be a very good team next year. I could see it if we looked as though we'd be an also ran, or if they were getting limited minutes. No guarantee to start, or even play if you transfer to the wrong spot. These guys are nice players, but it's not like winning P5 programs will be beating down the door for any of them to be a starter. Their best shot would be going to an also ran. Why do that? Tarin went to a mediocre UConn team, and made little impact. Who wants that?

12/23/2019 9:08 pm  #25

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

I agree a 100% but like I said it’s their last year and who knows where there head will be at the end of the season. Sorry for bringing it up but seeing how kids leave schools and there’s nothing wrong with where there at, it’s possible.

Agree with this. They're starters on what should be a very good team next year. I could see it if we looked as though we'd be an also ran, or if they were getting limited minutes. No guarantee to start, or even play if you transfer to the wrong spot. These guys are nice players, but it's not like winning P5 programs will be beating down the door for any of them to be a starter. Their best shot would be going to an also ran. Why do that? Tarin went to a mediocre UConn team, and made little impact. Who wants that?

Board footera