Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2019 9:33 pm  #26

Re: Amari Kelly

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

My ordinal Topic was simply to inquire as to any knowledge some might have regarding the rehab and recovery of Amari Kelly; a young man who, before the injury showed much promise. The thread got hijacked into the typical numbers discussion and transfer chatter.

I’d like to put this conversation back on track. I tend to look at Amari’s situation a bit differently than many of the responders who fully expect Amari to take a redshirt. I’d still defer to Amari to make the call; but as mentioned above guys recover differently from knee surgery; so comparing Austin Rottrof to Amari doesn’t work for me. If Amari has progressed very quickly; he could really help this team off the bench. He can be a dynamic shot blocker, and has a nice touch around the hoop. I see him not as a fifth option but as a 3rd option after Mike Hughes and Steele. Given the tendency for bigs to collect fouls quickly; Amari could help us win a few conference games that we might otherwise lose. Just a thought.

I agree this should be Amar's call, however, from the teams perspective if he is healthy and cleared he should play.  We need either Rotroff or Kelly to step up to take over the role of Baily Steele next year.  Right now it seems Rotroff is struggling to come back from his injury.  He has yet to make a basket this year, in his limited play, and his mobility still looks to be gingerly. Please note I am not criticizing him.  He has talent, we have seen it.  It is so regrettable that both of these men have suffered these injuries.  But like I said we need at least one of the guys to be ready next season.  So again if the coach feels that Kelly is progressing faster I would like to see him play.

Depends on when he's ready. If he's ready before the middle of January, I'd consider playing him. If he's not ready by then, there's no sense in his burning a year to play in 10 games.

According to a tweet by Zach, Amari was cleared to practice with the team about two weeks ago.  I understood that unless things have changed he was going to be cleared to play before year end.  I would hope we can get some update on his status.

12/24/2019 12:31 am  #27

Godukes2017 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote: "I agree a 100% but like I said it’s their last year and who knows where there head will be at the end of the season. Sorry for bringing it up but seeing how kids leave schools and there’s nothing wrong with where there at, it’s possible."

M Hughes, TDM and Weathers followed KD to Duq....don't see them leaving.

Agree with this. They're starters on what should be a very good team next year. I could see it if we looked as though we'd be an also ran, or if they were getting limited minutes. No guarantee to start, or even play if you transfer to the wrong spot. These guys are nice players, but it's not like winning P5 programs will be beating down the door for any of them to be a starter. Their best shot would be going to an also ran. Why do that? Tarin went to a mediocre UConn team, and made little impact. Who wants that?

It is OK to speculate but adding names is inappropriate IMO.  TDM in paticular loves KD and would follow him anywhere. I suspect you will see TDM on your staff in some capacity after his graduation. I think you are correct that players read this forum and probably don't appreciate the pre-crime speculation.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/24/2019 12:33 am)

12/24/2019 12:32 pm  #28

I just don't get why it is more acceptable to criticize a player's shot selection or opine that a player doesn't belong in the starting lineup or vent frustration over a player's consistent, stupid fouling than it is to discuss which specific pieces of the roster puzzle may or may not be moved

One of the nice things about this board is that cyberbullying of players & vulgar rants are nipped in the bud. That seems wise & definitely makes the discourse more fun.

The players are 20-50 years younger than the most prolific posters here. They only know lives that have been shared,  lived, & examined digitally. Speculation on their intentions is not a shock to their systems. Because the posts here are kept polite by the moderators, I see little chance of "offending" a player out the door.

12/24/2019 1:21 pm  #29

Lol

phil95 wrote:

I just don't get why it is more acceptable to criticize a player's shot selection or opine that a player doesn't belong in the starting lineup or vent frustration over a player's consistent, stupid fouling than it is to discuss which specific pieces of the roster puzzle may or may not be moved

One of the nice things about this board is that cyberbullying of players & vulgar rants are nipped in the bud. That seems wise & definitely makes the discourse more fun.

The players are 20-50 years younger than the most prolific posters here. They only know lives that have been shared,  lived, & examined digitally. Speculation on their intentions is not a shock to their systems. Because the posts here are kept polite by the moderators, I see little chance of "offending" a player out the door.

Hmmm... maybe it is that questioning or critisizing shot selection is discussing or debating something that ACTUALLY happened vs something that MIGHT happen. I personally think it is lame and irresponsible....not my cup of tea.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/25/2019 12:02 am)

12/24/2019 2:51 pm  #30

Because school choice has a hundred other factors in it besides just what is happening on the basketball court. It takes a lot of thought - even more so maybe than picking a school to begin with in the first place. Speculating on those factors should ultimately be outside of sports fandom. No one goes into college thinking they're going to transfer, even student-athletes in the money sports.

It's a stressful situation that we as fans should not really be adding pressure to by speculating or recommending who deserves to stay and who should be shown the door to make way for someone else. That's why I try to make an effort not to comment on specifics.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/24/2019 5:36 pm  #31

yak-rbc wrote:

Because school choice has a hundred other factors in it besides just what is happening on the basketball court. It takes a lot of thought - even more so maybe than picking a school to begin with in the first place. Speculating on those factors should ultimately be outside of sports fandom. No one goes into college thinking they're going to transfer, even student-athletes in the money sports.

It's a stressful situation that we as fans should not really be adding pressure to by speculating or recommending who deserves to stay and who should be shown the door to make way for someone else. That's why I try to make an effort not to comment on specifics.

I know no kid goes into college thinking like that. All I was saying is that it is 2020 so looking at options for your last year isn’t that big of a speculation. It’s not a knock on them.

1/06/2020 8:04 am  #32

Per Keith’s post game press conference, Amari will be redshirted this year.

1/06/2020 8:33 am  #33

townsonkid wrote:

I always thought a RS year was going to happen.  Again, why play in a handful of games, a few minutes, and maybe not feel at ease with the knee.  Rotroff doesnt look good out there.   But, not every knee will be the same.  Kelly might feel great and have all his skills back.   But I wouldnt rush him back to be the 5th F on the team.   Maybe try practicing him and Ellis as a duo, let them get familiar with each others skill sets.   

I'm glad KD took my advice!   

1/06/2020 9:08 am  #34

townsonkid wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I always thought a RS year was going to happen.  Again, why play in a handful of games, a few minutes, and maybe not feel at ease with the knee.  Rotroff doesnt look good out there.   But, not every knee will be the same.  Kelly might feel great and have all his skills back.   But I wouldnt rush him back to be the 5th F on the team.   Maybe try practicing him and Ellis as a duo, let them get familiar with each others skill sets.   

I'm glad KD took my advice!   

Didn't make any sense to play him at this point. I'm wondering if Rotroff will reach a point where he can contribute anything this year. Even 5-6 minutes a game would help, but he's basically been able to do nothing so far. An extra big would surely be a big help this year. I wonder if he's having trouble trusting the knee? That is frequently an issue with players coming off of a major injury. If he doesn't trust the knee, he won't be able to react naturally on the court. This would be especially true if he has any weakness, or discomfort in the knee.

1/06/2020 9:57 am  #35

KD mentioned at press conference Kelly has another physical issue and 
Kelly would be red shirted this season.KD also mentioned Rotroff is getting
in shape and he stiill believes he is a good player but the other guys on the
front line are playing well and its tough for him to get playing time.

1/06/2020 11:02 am  #36

Would kinda suck to burn a year of Rotroff and Ellis and get a few minutes from them for the entire year.
At least Kelly has 3 years left.

1/06/2020 1:14 pm  #37

townsonkid wrote:

Would kinda suck to burn a year of Rotroff and Ellis and get a few minutes from them for the entire year.
At least Kelly has 3 years left.

They could have redshirted Rotroff. It's been posted several times before, but Ellis cannot be redshirted because he sat out last year. Five years to play four. It doesn't matter that he wasn't on scholarship. He was in school, and the year counts. Not playing him saves nothing. He has 3 years after this, no more!!

1/06/2020 1:31 pm  #38

stew wrote:

Not claiming to know more about basketball than coach, but I'd really love to see Rotroff get 5-8 minutes a game, to prevent and prepare for Mike getting in foul trouble. 

1/06/2020 4:54 pm  #39

mm76or99 wrote:

stew wrote:

Not claiming to know more about basketball than coach, but I'd really love to see Rotroff get 5-8 minutes a game, to prevent and prepare for Mike getting in foul trouble. 

I'd love to see it as well, but he's got to earn it. I don't want to see leads disappear, or deficits open up because he's in there. He's played 48 minutes, and he hasn't made a single fg, only attempted one. If he's not healthy enough to offer more than that, there's not much KD can do.

1/06/2020 8:34 pm  #40

Board footera