Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2020 5:48 pm  #1

Game Thread - Davidson Wildcats

2:00pm EST tip on Sunday 01/05/2020 at UPMC Events Center, Moon Township, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #80 (11-2; 1-0) vs Davidson Wildcats #78 (6-6; 0-0)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 3, 69-66 - Dukes with 62% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 3½ point favorites; Over/Under 134
Duquesne 6-7 Against the Spread: Davidson 5-7 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Saint Louis (98); Indiana State (117); Radford (130)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): UAB (172); Marshall (142)
Davidson Best Win(s): Nevada (86); Loyola Chicago (106)
Davidson Worst Loss(es): Charlotte (168); Vanderbilt (134)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Davidson for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (34); Turnover % (41)
Offensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (334); FT Rate (327) 
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (59)
Defensive Weakness:  FT Rate % (281)

Here's a look at Davidson in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  N/A
Offensive Weakness:  N/A
Defensive Strength:  N/A
Defensive Weakness:  N/A

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (84)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (64); Effective FG % (77 ); Offensive Rebound % (98)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  FT Rate (1); Effective FG % (2)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (2); FT Rate (4) 
Defensive Weakness:  None

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Davidson Adj Offense Efficiency - 107.6, #36 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 92.8, #52 in D-1
Davidson Adj Defense Efficiency - 97.7, #126 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.5, #123 in D-1
Davidson Adj Tempo - 66.2, #315 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 70.0, #167 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Davidson 1.60 yrs, #203 in D-1; Dukes 1.39 yrs, #272 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - Davidson 64.6%, #45 in D-1; Dukes 55.4%, #110 in D-1
Average Height - Davidson 77.9", #43 in D-1; Dukes 75.9", #302 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/05/2020 8:41 am)

1/04/2020 5:48 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Davidson Wildcats

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 71st in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.
Davidson is 78th in the country and OUT in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4355&tid2=4391&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

1/04/2020 7:34 pm  #3

1/04/2020 10:31 pm  #4

What went wrong for Davidson is that they played a hard non-con schedule. There was probably an upward projection in mind for the program, and for good reason.

They are still a big threat in the A-10 and a tough game for the Dukes. Our guys need to be on-game.  

1/05/2020 8:22 am  #5

Davidson has two guards that each average 16 pts 
per game,
They will be a real challenge for Dukes defense.
Apparently a winnable game according to the spot
but a very loseable game.
Dukes win this game, this season could become very interesting.

1/05/2020 8:37 am  #6

Econ69 wrote:

Davidson has two guards that each average 16 pts 
per game,
They will be a real challenge for Dukes defense.
Apparently a winnable game according to the spot
but a very loseable game.
Dukes win this game, this season could become very interesting.

Very much so. The following three games are against the worst teams in the league. We haven't played a road game yet though, so I won't put them in the win column yet, but you're right. Win today, and 15-2 going to Rhode Island becomes a possibility. We haven't had a record like that since the early 70s.

1/05/2020 12:23 pm  #7

Watching GMU vs VCU on tv and URI vs Richmond on the laptop getting ready for the Dukes game. We can hang with all these teams from what I have seen OOC and since the beginning of A10 play.

Starts with taking care of business today against a strong Davidson team that is better than their record. An interesting matchup, I think Davidson has the matchup advantage on the perimeter while the Dukes have the advantage on the interior.

Can’t wait, Go Dukes!

1/05/2020 12:52 pm  #8

Can't let Davidson get out to an early big lead....can't let their shooters get comfortable and confident. Carry and wings need to be on their game and KD needs to pull all the right strings. This will be a big win.

Go Dukes

1/05/2020 1:34 pm  #9

This is the prototypical, well coached, super-smart, backcourt-driven team that DU has struggled with under every coach of my fandom. This one is a major challenge & the result will establish a benchmark in program progress.

Disciplined defensive pressure, playmaking smarts, tip to finish high energy, & timely shootimg are musts for this one to become a Dukes victory. I feel like this crew of coaches & players is ready for this test. Go Dukes!

1/05/2020 2:14 pm  #10

Dukes length and athleticism effecting Davison early. Good start. Also, Dayton currently on the ropes at Hawk Hill.

1/05/2020 2:50 pm  #11

Unbelievable defense in the first half. We have shut down both their stud guards and have found some good offense in this one as well. Great offensive execution down the stretch in the 1st. Go Dukes!

1/05/2020 4:03 pm  #12

Great win.   Nice place.  Go Dukes

1/05/2020 4:04 pm  #13

THAT, was very satisfying!

I am amped!

1/05/2020 4:11 pm  #14

Coach D wished Ray Happy Birtthday for all those analyze every comment he makes.   And how long it takes him to talk to Ray afterwards.

1/05/2020 4:28 pm  #15

Just Outstanding,great Game And Keep It Going Dukes.carry Put The Dukes On His Back In Last 5 Minutes.everybody Played Well.wow

1/05/2020 5:07 pm  #16

Made the returning A10 POY look bad today.   Maceo, Lamar, Sin, Miller played some nice defense today.   

Now, no let up against these next 3.   Gotta get wins when you are supposed to.

1/05/2020 5:12 pm  #17

This might have been our best total game. Our defense (especially in the first half) had Davidson playing absolutely confused.
Does anyone agree that we were getting mugged down low most of the game? Since we won today I feel like I can complain about the officiating without it sounding like an excuse.

1/05/2020 5:35 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

Made the returning A10 POY look bad today. Maceo, Lamar, Sin, Miller played some nice defense today.

Now, no let up against these next 3. Gotta get wins when you are supposed to.

I don't know if we're a bad matchup for Gudmundsson, if we've concentrated on him specifically, or if he's just been off against us; we've always done well against him though. Grady has hurt us in the past, and almost singlehandedly beat us a couple times. Luckily we prevented him from doing that today. Gumundsson has always struggled agianst us though. I was surprised to see him get player of the year last year because he's never impressed me in now four games against us. He's averaged 9 points in four career games against us, shooting 32.4%.

1/05/2020 5:41 pm  #19

Great game by the Dukes.  The team defense was just as intense as the played all year.  The Dukes were fighting through screens, blocking shots creating turnovers and except for a few breakdowns they were guarding the three as well as you can against this team.  If the Dukes can keep this intensity level they can beat any team in this league.  Go Dukes!

BTW, where the heck is everybody on this Board?    

1/05/2020 5:46 pm  #20

CLK wrote:

BTW, where the heck is everybody on this Board?    

Tejas Duke is right here sipping his victory bourbon with his Dad.  I was impressed how the Dukes didn't fold when Davidson finally found their three point stroke in the second half and cut the deficit to even.  The defense was good to see.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/05/2020 6:05 pm  #21

#25 was killing people.

1/05/2020 6:11 pm  #22

Was at the game. Austin and Carry were glued to the 2 Davidson stars for most of the game.

1/05/2020 6:16 pm  #23

In my opinion, Carry displayed some real maturity. As stated, and no pun intended, he carried them

1/05/2020 6:28 pm  #24

apluski wrote:

This might have been our best total game. Our defense (especially in the first half) had Davidson playing absolutely confused.
Does anyone agree that we were getting mugged down low most of the game? Since we won today I feel like I can complain about the officiating without it sounding like an excuse.

The defensive intensity has definitely returned the last two games. Let's not forget about the offense though. Crisp sets, unselfish play, and great ball movement leads to balanced scoring, which is when we're at our best. We're 2-0 in conference now against a very good defensive team and a very good offensive team.

1/05/2020 6:36 pm  #25

Best record after 14 games since 71-72, when we started 15-2. Need to beat the weaker teams, so let's get the next three to equal that start!

Board footera