Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2013 7:48 pm  #1

Sheldon Jeter

Tweets Mike White: ‏@mwhiteburgh Beaver Falls' Sheldon Jeter @LongLive_Jete21 tweeted tonight that he has decided to leave Vanderbilt to be closer to his family.

Any interest on Jimmy Ferry's part?

5/17/2013 8:34 pm  #2

Re: Sheldon Jeter

Pitt fans think he will wind up there, same with Penn State fans.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/17/vanderbilt-forward-sheldon-jeter-elects-to-transfer/

Sheldon Jeter ‏@LongLive_Jete21 
Just to clear this up, I do not know what school I will go to. That is another conversation to take place at another time with my family

Last edited by CLK (5/17/2013 8:36 pm)

5/17/2013 10:58 pm  #3

Pitt still has at least one or two scholarships open. I could see him ending up there if they're interested.

Last edited by steve19981 (5/17/2013 11:47 pm)

5/18/2013 8:39 am  #4

(Rhymes with Pitt) just seems to fall into their laps, doesn't it?

5/18/2013 8:55 am  #5

ElDuque wrote:

Got to keep in mind that while Jeter would be a great add for us, he's really only a borderline ACC player. Pitt would take him, but he's no great get for them.

5/18/2013 10:05 am  #6

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Got to keep in mind that while Jeter would be a great add for us, he's really only a borderline ACC player. Pitt would take him, but he's no great get for them.

This offseason has been a real test for Pitt.

Agree, Jeter would be a huge get for Duquesne, but I think has the size and skill set to be a pretty decent ACC 3. I think he could contribute at Pitt for sure but probably not at the level as some of the players Dixon lost.

If Deandre Kane wasn't 25 years old, I think he would be the bigger ACC reach.

5/18/2013 11:56 am  #7

6'7" and 47% shooting, 39% from 3.  He's mighty good enough to play for Pitt/ACC

5/18/2013 12:35 pm  #8

Jeralta wrote:

6'7" and 47% shooting, 39% from 3. He's mighty good enough to play for Pitt/ACC

He's good enough to play for Pitt, but he's run of the mill at that level. He'd be a cut above in the A10, but he's mid level in the ACC. He's the type that could be a major piece as an upperclassman in the ACC, but as a freshman or sophomore, he's a role player on any good team. In the A10, he starts as a freshman for all but a handful of teams.

5/18/2013 2:22 pm  #9

I was listening to the Fan about an hour ago while washing the car.  No mention of him in extended talk from Chris Peake of Panther Lair. 

In fact, Deandre Kane is not a lock to graduate at Marshall so they could be losing him. 

Last edited by duqkurt (5/18/2013 2:24 pm)

5/18/2013 2:42 pm  #10

I think Kane is the same age as Kobe Bryant now.

Dixon, I think, is still a pretty good coach. I could see Jeter becoming a star under him.

Or we could trade Datt to the 76ers for a draft choice and sign him.

5/20/2013 8:32 am  #11

5/21/2013 11:11 am  #12

Vanderbilt blocking Sheldon Jeter's transfer to Pitt basketball, sources say
May 21, 2013 
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pitt-big-east/vanderbilt-blocking-sheldon-jeters-transfer-to-pitt-basketball-sources-say-688502/

Last edited by CLK (5/21/2013 11:38 am)

5/21/2013 11:33 am  #13

CLK wrote:

Vanderbilt blocking Sheldon Jeter's transfer to Pitt basketball, sources say
May 21, 2013 
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pitt-big-east/vanderbilt-blocking-sheldon-jeters-transfer-to-pitt-basketball-sources-say-688502/#ixzz2TwbNh6NI

If one were to think of a word like tampering, would one spell that with one p or two p's?

5/21/2013 11:44 am  #14

If one were to think of a word like tampering, would one spell that with one p or two p's?

That is probably the reason or, at least a possible reason, the Vanderbilt coach block the transfer.

Corrected link below

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pitt-big-east/vanderbilt-blocking-sheldon-jeters-transfer-to-pitt-basketball-sources-say-688502/

5/21/2013 12:09 pm  #15

that is freaking awesome!  Not for Jeter, but for the fact Stallings told pitt to GTH.

5/21/2013 1:43 pm  #16

Kevin Stallings ... my new hero.

Last edited by ElDuque (5/21/2013 1:45 pm)

5/21/2013 1:58 pm  #17

I'm sure the local apologist's for Pitt (i.e 93.5 and 970) along with the PG will be rationalize why this circumstance is nothing like Pitt blocking  Rushel Shell's transfer to a long list of schools; too bad, but bad karma has a way of catching up with you.

Frankly, I was hoping Kane would go to Pitt, he would fit right in; poor FF shooter (52%) poor success rate from 3-pt range, and high turnover ratio.  He can score points but how many shots would he get before Dixon would yank him? 
Jeter is young enough that there is hope for him; and he may have picked up some discipline from Coach Stallings at Vanderbilt; but from what I saw of him in high school, he was out of control, took horrible shots at inappropriate times, and thought way to highly of his own talent.  Stallings doesn't play that way, and I'm sure Jeter was having trouble adjusting to a more structured offense.  If he sees himself as an offensive player; I have no idea why he would choose to transfer to Pitt.  Dixon has a pretty poor track record of turning out great offensive teams.  They are usually pretty ugly on offense and rely of physical strength, rebounding, and defense to win; although their defense has been pretty porous the last two years; not very intimidating and cannot prevent penetration with the ball.

Last edited by levon1975 (5/21/2013 2:10 pm)

5/21/2013 2:15 pm  #18

If Stallings suspects tampering, good for him.

If this is about sour grapes, shame on him even if it does hurt Pitt.

5/21/2013 4:21 pm  #19

His reason means NOTHING to me. I stand by my Nelson Muntz!

5/22/2013 4:28 pm  #20

5/22/2013 5:02 pm  #21

Wonder what would happen IF AN A.D. STEPPED IN AND TOLD A COACH -- YOU HAVE A CONTRACT -- YOU CAN'T GO TO SCHOOL "X"  --  I'll release you if you want to go to school "Y"-- I think it is NAUSEATING that 18 year olds have to sit out a year if they make a wrong decision -  while much older individuals can come and go with impunity!!!

5/22/2013 6:05 pm  #22

50% chance he'll go to RMU, 25% WVU, 25% PSU. -100% he'll be a Duke

5/22/2013 6:44 pm  #23

CLK wrote:

Tampering?

Pitt Fans Knew About Sheldon Jeter’s Transfer 10 Days Before It Was Announced

http://oneclicksportsnow.com/pitt-fans-knew-about-sheldon-jeters-transfer-10-days-before-it-was-announced/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I think that in the world of Twitter, and facebook, there may be tampering by fans and players more than by coaches. It wouldn't surprise me if Jeter is friends with some of the Pitt players, and had been discussing a transfer with them, even before the coaches could go through the proper channels. This is going to become a headache for the NCAA. I think this may have been the case with Shell as well. Remember there were some knucklehead Duquesne and Bona fans crossing the line with regard to Duane Notice.

5/22/2013 9:21 pm  #24

Jeralta wrote:

Based on?

5/22/2013 9:37 pm  #25

Jeralta wrote:

O% he becomes a Duke. I would be shocked if Jeter doesn't suddenly come into enough money to pay his way for the first year at Pitt. I have property in OZ for sale to the person who believes that this transfer is all about wanting to be closer to home. Unnamed people who happen to work at/support Pitt will make this happen, one way or the other.
I will reiterate what I have been writing since the NCAA Pitt playoff elimination, the closer we get to the start of the next basketball season in the ACC, the more panic I sense out in the zoo. They are not ready for ACC style basketball and the more desperate they get for ACC-type players, the less success they are having. To date, they have a gifted, but not difference-making class coming in and the purging of Big East type players is not producing the results they were expecting.  Wanting to be closer to home and a yearning to be a panther -- give me a break. There is a smell (worse than usual) eminating from the Pitt athletic department.

Board footera