Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2020 6:57 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - George Washington Colonials (A)

Would’ve been the one that took destiny out of our hands, had we lost. But our guys came up big when it counted.

1/11/2020 7:16 pm  #27

Were the two announcers for this game assigned by ESPN? Around mid second half I felt that any pretense of neutrality vaporized. Any chance they used GW's play-by-play guys for the game? Annoying.
The Dukes seem to find a way to win, and that's another step in the right direction.
Go Dukes

1/11/2020 7:30 pm  #28

Face wrote:

A bad team would lose when they committed 17 turnovers. Good win, can't complain. Loved the defense at the end.

And the three pointer by Sin was a dagger. He uncharacteristically missed a couple late foul shots, but the 3 pointer essentially ended the game.

1/11/2020 7:39 pm  #29

I just turn the volume off as all the broadcasts on away games are done by homer announcers.I like
to turn the volume up when the Dukes are about to win to see how the homer announcers
summarize the game . 

1/11/2020 7:41 pm  #30

"For one GW is a much better team than their record indicated."

Lucky,I agree and was going to post the same thing. They will win some games,have some unexpected wins.

Some of the turnovers today were ridiculous. Maceo turned it over twice late with stupid and lazy passes to closely guarded teammates - with GW defender hands all over them. I think it was his worst game.

1/11/2020 7:43 pm  #31

apluski wrote:

Were the two announcers for this game assigned by ESPN? Around mid second half I felt that any pretense of neutrality vaporized. Any chance they used GW's play-by-play guys for the game? Annoying.
The Dukes seem to find a way to win, and that's another step in the right direction.
Go Dukes

I think ESPN+ uses the local announcers for most of its games. Our home games are always done by Tim Benz and Ellis Cannon who used to do the games on AT&T Sportsnet. Lunardi was on the mic for the St. Joe's game, which couldn't have been a coincidence. ESPN+ has too many games to actually hire announcers for the games, so I think they just pick up the regional broadcasts that most schools have contracts for.

1/11/2020 7:58 pm  #32

This is a gutsy, confident team. That is a determining factor in close games like this.  

1/11/2020 8:08 pm  #33

GW is now 0-3 in league play with each loss being by 5 points a piece to Bona, SLU and now Duquesne.

I know I was pretty dejected that a double digit lead was completely erased within a few minutes by the half and Sin  had three fouls. The second half was a grind but in the end, they showed the resolve to not fold after falling behind briefly.

Lot of poor angles trying to feed the post seem to help rack up the poor turnover output.

Again, may not have been pretty but looking around the league the Dukes winning by 5 in not so pretty fashion looks ok to me seeing:
-Davidson needed OT after nearly collapsing at home vs St Joe’s.
-VCU with an UGLY offensive output in a loss at home vs URI
-SLU handles Richmond at the Robbins Center. UR’s potent offense kept in check and Blake Francis got hurt late.
-Bona hammers our next opponent Fordham, holding them under 50.
-Dayton destroyed UMass on National TV.

The bigs had nearly all the two point baskets and our guards basically lived by the three led by TDM.

1/11/2020 8:11 pm  #34

Can't wait for Wednesday and Fordham at the Paints.
I was at the Kent State-Central Michigan game.
Followed DU-GW on my phone.
ESPN+ uses local folks for all of their telecasts.
One of my son's buddies at Kent does color for all the Kent State ESPN+ games.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

1/11/2020 9:43 pm  #35

Two Conference road wins.

14-2
4-0
January 10th.

I love it.

Last edited by Box & One (1/11/2020 9:46 pm)

1/12/2020 12:21 am  #36

phil95 wrote:

That was pretty ugly but, it is such a pleasure to finally, consistently be on the other end of this kind of game.
is.

My thoughts exactly during this 14-2 start. Beat the teams you play and beat the teams you should beat. That is the key to success.  Jim Ferry would have been 8-4 or 7-5 in that OOC schedule, with a few typical "Duquesne that just got away" type losses.

So far in conference, they have beaten last year's champion, and a team which seems always to be a double bye in the A 10 tourney and on the bubble for the Big Dance.  Also today's game, which would have almost assuredly been a loss under previous regimes!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/12/2020 1:56 am  #37

stew wrote:

I just turn the volume off as all the broadcasts on away games are done by homer announcers.I like
to turn the volume up when the Dukes are about to win to see how the homer announcers
summarize the game . 

Well, to be fair, fans of the other teams can't stand Ray and Jarrett. I've seen them complaining on the a10 board.

1/12/2020 10:40 am  #38

Good synopsis on the GW board for this one.  They gave credit to some defensive situations and to Sincere’s 3 point shot.  They also said how they will be so much better next year as they are young.  They are  correct.  A number of them tore up Hughes for being a big complainer,  and alluding to him also raising his hands when calls didn’t go his way, etc.  We have also seen this at home games, but since he is “one of ours” no one here says anything.  He needs to be careful of solidifying that reputation or he will never get a call and it will also hurt the team.  I’m sure after this stretch Coach D. Will figure out the “when do we rest them” and when do we practice them hard cycle.  Go Dukes

Last edited by FAM (1/12/2020 10:41 am)

1/12/2020 11:08 am  #39

FAM wrote:

Good synopsis on the GW board for this one.  They gave credit to some defensive situations and to Sincere’s 3 point shot.  They also said how they will be so much better next year as they are young.  They are  correct.  A number of them tore up Hughes for being a big complainer,  and alluding to him also raising his hands when calls didn’t go his way, etc.  We have also seen this at home games, but since he is “one of ours” no one here says anything.  He needs to be careful of solidifying that reputation or he will never get a call and it will also hurt the team.  I’m sure after this stretch Coach D. Will figure out the “when do we rest them” and when do we practice them hard cycle.  Go Dukes

I think Mike Hughes has shown much more restraint this year. I really don't want him to lose his edge though.

1/12/2020 11:28 am  #40

I think he has shown more restraint than last year but he had a way to go... but one doesn't have to complain to not have an edge.  To me, they are separate.  We know he is a nice kid...but when all the referees see game in and game out are his hand motions, verbal complaints, and whining, it is not good.  Referees are human too and they get tired of it.  Again, we see many tough football and basketball players who have an edge but don't react like he does.  It would be a shame for something like that to impact the season.  He is a very good player, especially on defense and we need him.  He needs to work on this more for the TEAM.  Go Dukes!

Last edited by FAM (1/12/2020 11:30 am)

1/12/2020 11:30 am  #41

phil95 wrote:

That was pretty ugly but, it is such a pleasure to finally, consistently be on the other end of this kind of game..

When watching, I never once thought that the Dukes would lose that game. What a change of mindset with at least this fan. For so many years, I would have mentally compiled a list of the ways the Dukes would lose a game like this in the final minutes. Dambrot has brought me to a new level of mental toughness 😀

1/12/2020 11:51 am  #42

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

That was pretty ugly but, it is such a pleasure to finally, consistently be on the other end of this kind of game..

When watching, I never once thought that the Dukes would lose that game. What a change of mindset with at least this fan. For so many years, I would have mentally compiled a list of the ways the Dukes would lose a game like this in the final minutes. Dambrot has brought me to a new level of mental toughness 😀

I'm with you.  I was confident in a win the entire time.

1/12/2020 2:02 pm  #43

MikeR wrote:

FAM wrote:

I think Mike Hughes has shown much more restraint this year. I really don't want him to lose his edge though.

Mike has made noticeable improvement over the last 7-8 games in both keeping his emotions in check & avoiding bad fouls. I suspect those things are related. He is balancing his fire & smarts much better than he did previously. He is definitely one of those guys that you love having as a teammate & hate having as an opponent.

While it would obviously be damaging to the program to have any of the 4 grad transfer candidates move on, at this point, I will also be a bit heartbroken to see one/some of them not finish the job they were brought here to do.

I am obviously a fan but I also really like this group of guys. (Even TDM, who makes me yell at the computer screen so much that my wife & children occasionally become alarmed..)

Please stay & become Duquesne legends!

1/12/2020 5:27 pm  #44

phil95 wrote:

MikeR wrote:

FAM wrote:

Mike has made noticeable improvement over the last 7-8 games in both keeping his emotions in check & avoiding bad fouls. I suspect those things are related. He is balancing his fire & smarts much better than he did previously. He is definitely one of those guys that you love having as a teammate & hate having as an opponent.

While it would obviously be damaging to the program to have any of the 4 grad transfer candidates move on, at this point, I will also be a bit heartbroken to see one/some of them not finish the job they were brought here to do.

I am obviously a fan but I also really like this group of guys. (Even TDM, who makes me yell at the computer screen so much that my wife & children occasionally become alarmed..)

I don't think any of the three will leave with the success we're having. You said 4, so you must be including Frankie Hughes. I think he's gone, and it won't be a loss because they've already made the adjustment there.

1/12/2020 6:01 pm  #45

duq81 wrote:

I don't think any of the three will leave with the success we're having. You said 4, so you must be including Frankie Hughes. I think he's gone, and it won't be a loss because they've already made the adjustment there.

I certainly could have missed him, but I have not seen Frankie around the team, on the bench, etc. all year.  Certainly, Amari Kelly is noticeable. Any Frankie sightings?

1/12/2020 7:00 pm  #46

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I certainly could have missed him, but I have not seen Frankie around the team, on the bench, etc. all year.  Certainly, Amari Kelly is noticeable. Any Frankie sightings?

I wonder if he's still in school. Might be that he and KD already know that he won't be back, and have agreed that he'll not waste his time with team activities, instead, working on finishing his degree so that he can grad transfer. Would make sense.

1/12/2020 8:00 pm  #47

phil95 wrote:

MikeR wrote:

FAM wrote:

Back door to pre-crime huh?? SMH

1/12/2020 9:06 pm  #48

phil95 wrote:

I don't think we have anything to worry about on that front. This is as close knit a team as I've ever seen. They all clearly get along on and off the court and want each other to succeed. It's one of the best traits Dambrot possesses as a coach. I would be very surprised to see any transfers from the major contributors, even though some of them could probably "trade up" with the way they're playing.

1/12/2020 9:56 pm  #49

Dsnyder15 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

MikeR wrote:

Back door to pre-crime huh?? SMH

What does this mean?

1/13/2020 8:36 am  #50

duq81 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I wonder if he's still in school. Might be that he and KD already know that he won't be back, and have agreed that he'll not waste his time with team activities, instead, working on finishing his degree so that he can grad transfer. Would make sense.

I saw Frank at the Princeton game on the bench with the team, but cant recall seeing him since.

Board footera