Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2020 8:56 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

I am confident that KD will make whatever adjustments are necessary to play against a zone.  He hasn't won 350 or so games because he's clueless. Of course his strategy will be influenced by the talent and skills of his players.  Sometimes a team just plays a poor game--doesn't shoot well, etc.  To win a game when you play poorly is big.  Even though Fordham is not considered to be a good team, it still has quality Division 1 scholarship basketball players.  I give Fordham credit for playing a good game.  There are no easy games.  Duquesne is getting some attention so other teams will play even harder against them.  I am enjoying this season and it will be fun the rest of the way--not easy but fun.

As for Huggins and his strategy--Huggins is a great basketball coach--no doubt.  He also has a ton of talent this year including Maceo's teammate from Kennedy Catholic who might be a one and done player.  Keep in mind that last season, when Huggins didn't have as much talent, his game "strategy" didn't always work out so well.

Thoughts and prayers to Maceo and his family.  Just awful... 

1/16/2020 9:15 am  #52

Most important thing of course is getting a W instead of a loss -  Earlier in the year Evansville beats Kentucky at Kentucky -  Duquesne beats Indiana State at a neutral site (part of our "supposedly weak non-conference schedule"  Indiana State recently handles Evansville fairly well -  

Normally reliable FT shooters missed more than normal maybe it was the back drop at the Arena - 

The time that they took to straighten out the situation with Sin at the line - Probably long enough for a few beer runs (assuming the concession stands had not closed) a trip to the men's or ladies room and then return to your seat and ask "Did I miss Anything?"

1/16/2020 9:20 am  #53

theprofessor1099 wrote:

I am confident that KD will make whatever adjustments are necessary to play against a zone.  He hasn't won 350 or so games because he's clueless. Of course his strategy will be influenced by the talent and skills of his players.  Sometimes a team just plays a poor game--doesn't shoot well, etc.  To win a game when you play poorly is big.  Even though Fordham is not considered to be a good team, it still has quality Division 1 scholarship basketball players.  I give Fordham credit for playing a good game.  There are no easy games.  Duquesne is getting some attention so other teams will play even harder against them.  I am enjoying this season and it will be fun the rest of the way--not easy but fun.

As for Huggins and his strategy--Huggins is a great basketball coach--no doubt.  He also has a ton of talent this year including Maceo's teammate from Kennedy Catholic who might be a one and done player.  Keep in mind that last season, when Huggins didn't have as much talent, his game "strategy" didn't always work out so well.

Thoughts and prayers to Maceo and his family.  Just awful... 

And Huggins recently got fined MUCHO BUCKS for calling the three officials at the Kansas game "Three Blind Mice"  -  He and KD are good friends from the old days - wonder if he has any advice on how to handle the stall tactics the Fordham coach was using at the end of the game??

1/16/2020 9:46 am  #54

We had an off night and a trap game and we won. Happy Norman had what I hope is his breakout game. Heart broken for Austin. I hope Hughes and Weathers have a grinding tape session this week. They need to use their heads as much as their talent. Carry and Dunn-Martin had off games.

But we won.

Talent and coaching do that.

I don’t understand how Neubauer is still at Fordham. Not just his record; he embarrassed the school when his extramarital affair was taken public by his wife.

He’s a jerk.

1/16/2020 10:40 am  #55

FACE;  The league can’t do anything about what Neubauer did at the end of the game.  It was the officials fault - they let him - they caved - he moved so many players around to get the subs he wanted that the refs didn’t know what day it was - Kudos to him...sounds like shades of Mike Rice!  His recruiting is not good but he is a good coach.

1/16/2020 10:51 am  #56

ElDuque wrote:

We had an off night and a trap game and we won. Happy Norman had what I hope is his breakout game. Heart broken for Austin. I hope Hughes and Weathers have a grinding tape session this week. They need to use their heads as much as their talent. Carry and Dunn-Martin had off games.

But we won.

I don’t understand how Neubauer is still at Fordham. Not just his record; he embarrassed the school when his extramarital affair was taken public by his wife.

He’s a jerk.

He wasn't innocent but  there is a heck of a lot more to that story than a simple man cheats on wife situation.

The delay of game stuff is on the refs. Fordham's coach was just giving his all. If it was DU's coach doing this & being successful with it, many would be whistling a different tune.

1/16/2020 10:58 am  #57

phil95 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

But we won.

He’s a jerk.

He wasn't innocent but  there is a heck of a lot more to that story than a simple man cheats on wife situation.

The delay of game stuff is on the refs. Fordham's coach was just giving his all. If it was DU's coach doing this & being successful with it, many would be whistling a different tune.

Maybe not me. Winning is important and so is how you do it.

1/16/2020 11:20 am  #58

ElDuque wrote:

phil95 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

But we won.

He’s a jerk.

Did you have a problem with the trickery Mike Rice used to employ?

1/16/2020 11:22 am  #59

FAM wrote:

Wow! 
-Many lazy passes - don’t get in that habit
Go Dukes!
-

That's the one that got me, all night bad passes. When Carry threw the ball away in the possession that should have iced the game at the end I was screaming at my computer.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/16/2020 2:59 pm  #60

FAM wrote:

FACE;  The league can’t do anything about what Neubauer did at the end of the game.  It was the officials fault - they let him - they caved - he moved so many players around to get the subs he wanted that the refs didn’t know what day it was - Kudos to him...sounds like shades of Mike Rice!  His recruiting is not good but he is a good coach.

I think the league CAN do something -  Who was it that decided Coach Burt would be suspended for A POST SEASON TOURNAMENT GAME??

My understanding is the officials submit some kind of report after every game -  Even if it is just boiler plate (no problems - everything was fine)  You could see the officials frustration in trying to get five Fordham players on the floor with Curry at the line.

Hopefully somewhere the "Golden Rule" (do unto others as others do unto you) exists - And while one of HIS players is at the line shooting free throws (even if it is the first half) maybe an opposing coach pulls the same thing trying for multiple subs - pulling one guy at a time - trying to make three subs - even repeating some of the switches. 

1/16/2020 3:40 pm  #61

I'm with ElDuque on this subject; win the right way. Start bending the rules and before you know it you're busted (latest example: MLB sign-stealing scandal). Besides, the quicker we find success after years of failure, the more we're going to be scrutinized. 
Neubauer should be ashamed--and put in his place.

1/16/2020 3:53 pm  #62

SkepticAl wrote:

FAM wrote:

I think the league CAN do something -  Who was it that decided Coach Burt would be suspended for A POST SEASON TOURNAMENT GAME??

My understanding is the officials submit some kind of report after every game -  Even if it is just boiler plate (no problems - everything was fine)  You could see the officials frustration in trying to get five Fordham players on the floor with Curry at the line.

Hopefully somewhere the "Golden Rule" (do unto others as others do unto you) exists - And while one of HIS players is at the line shooting free throws (even if it is the first half) maybe an opposing coach pulls the same thing trying for multiple subs - pulling one guy at a time - trying to make three subs - even repeating some of the switches. 

Yes. If not to the coach then to the crew who let it ride.

You don’t get to manufacture a timeout like that.

1/16/2020 4:04 pm  #63

FACE:  that I won't disagree with.  (Coming down on the crew).How many NFL or Pro-BBall games have we seen when there were issues that folks were upset with, or a coach did something he wasn't supposed to, and the referee let it go - didn't see it or didn't know exactly what happened.  They did not come back down on the coach...they said their referees made a mistake.  Will the A-10 do that?  We may never know.  Go Dukes.

1/17/2020 9:13 am  #64

Excellent points Professor.

1/17/2020 9:58 am  #65

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Sending the “wrong” shooter to the FT line? Wasn’t crazy about it, but the refs should catch that stuff and they usually did. He’s not the only coach who does/did that.

1/17/2020 12:06 pm  #66

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Sending the “wrong” shooter to the FT line? Wasn’t crazy about it, but the refs should catch that stuff and they usually did. He’s not the only coach who does/did that.

Never much cared for it. Don't like this loophole NFL coaches have discovered that lets them eat up clock by taking penalties. I'm sure that loophole will be closed after the season.

1/17/2020 6:28 pm  #67

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Never much cared for it. Don't like this loophole NFL coaches have discovered that lets them eat up clock by taking penalties. I'm sure that loophole will be closed after the season.

Easy way to do that. Stop the game clock after penalties.

1/19/2020 7:53 pm  #68

Pistol Pete, it appears that Coach Huggins had difficulty yesterday controlling the tempo against a very weak Kansas State team.  I guess even the best coaches and teams can have an off night.

1/20/2020 8:52 am  #69

Ur right Professor, it happens to the best of them.  Too much credit when it all goes right and too much blame when it doesn't.

1/20/2020 9:10 am  #70

PistolPete wrote:

Ur right Professor, it happens to the best of them.  Too much credit when it all goes right and too much blame when it doesn't.

I’ve noticed  that a coach looks much smarter when the shots are falling.

Board footera