Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2020 10:38 am  #76

Re: Game Thread - University of Massachusetts Minutemen

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Dare I say Eric Williams could have filled a huge hole, the go to guy. Im sure this will draw comments. And to add, Frankie Hughes could have added more depth n strength

I've been thinking about that myself. Williams could definitely play the go-to guy role but the Dukes weren't always at their best that way. They were just 4-5 when he scored 20 or more points in a game last year, including 0-3 in the last three games of the season with Williams averaging 28 PPG. He could take over a game but he often disappeared in games as well. In his two-year Duquesne career, the Dukes were 8-8 when he led them in scoring in a game. A lot of folks on this board thought the Dukes played better as a team in Williams' absence. But when you see them chucking up long 3s and making dangerously long passes in the halfcourt offense because their spacing's so bad, you wonder what's gone wrong with that team concept. That pretty much describes the last game and a half.  Frankie was a terribly streaky shooter, who nonetheless played good D and could have added some depth to this team. But maybe we're better off for the long term with Austin and Norman playing more minutes this year, I dunno.

1/28/2020 12:16 pm  #77

DennisC91 wrote:

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Dare I say Eric Williams could have filled a huge hole, the go to guy. Im sure this will draw comments. And to add, Frankie Hughes could have added more depth n strength

I've been thinking about that myself. Williams could definitely play the go-to guy role but the Dukes weren't always at their best that way. They were just 4-5 when he scored 20 or more points in a game last year, including 0-3 in the last three games of the season with Williams averaging 28 PPG. He could take over a game but he often disappeared in games as well. In his two-year Duquesne career, the Dukes were 8-8 when he led them in scoring in a game. A lot of folks on this board thought the Dukes played better as a team in Williams' absence. But when you see them chucking up long 3s and making dangerously long passes in the halfcourt offense because their spacing's so bad, you wonder what's gone wrong with that team concept. That pretty much describes the last game and a half.  Frankie was a terribly streaky shooter, who nonetheless played good D and could have added some depth to this team. But maybe we're better off for the long term with Austin and Norman playing more minutes this year, I dunno.

His scoring wasn’t his best attribute. He averaged 9 rpg over two years. He was a big loss but I understand if you feel it’s not big of a loss. They were 5-2 at this point last year so we will see how it plays out from here on out. Maceo has disappointed in my eyes for being such a heralded recruit. Just My opinion. Don’t bash me Lol

1/28/2020 1:06 pm  #78

luckymcd wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Hopefully this is just a blip on the radar; and the team will come out and compete hard against a loaded Dayton team. Duquesne has always played tough games against Dayton; and I expect the same on Wednesday. You beat Dayton and nobody remembers UMASS!

This says it all. We've got them on our home floor where we beat them two years ago. We also gave them everything they could take at their place last year. We're fading badly, but we're still on the bubble for the NIT because the committees consider the season as a whole, not just trends. Currently, we are the seventh team out of the NIT going purely by NET rankings that the committee uses. We've got to get this turned around now and Dayton is a great opportunity. They are loaded, but if we play the way we had been earlier in the season I truly believe we can compete with them.

We fought our way into receiving votes in the AP poll. Those will be gone this week, but a win over Dayton could get us right back where we were. Then the UMass game would be brought up as a bad loss that can be countered by a huge win like Dayton rather then the fourth subpar effort in a row. Every year there are teams that underachieve, but show up against top teams. I'd really rather not be an underachieving team; but if they are on the bubble the big win always gets brought up as a reason they shouldn't be left out because they could do it again in the tournament.

I agree, beat Dayton and everything changes. KD should stop Toppin and make every one else on that team try to beat us. Dukes have the bigs to crowd the paint and if KD keeps a big constantly on him,  always boxing him out, then he won't look like a one-man dunking contest. But if you let him 6 to 8 feet from the rim with a clear path to the rim, they are going to Ali-oop to him for slam dunks all night.  We can win against Dayton, only if we cover that guy tight for 40 minutes.

1/28/2020 1:54 pm  #79

From the  Dayton Men’s BB Fan Board: ”This team is rolling right now and we now head to Pittsburgh for a mid-week clash against the Dukes... Duquesne has come back down to earth (They are what we thought they would be) a close OT Home Win over Fordham and now 2 straight losses, most recently to an awful UMass team. I wouldn't be surprised if PPG Paints is going to be more like a home game lol”

1/28/2020 2:43 pm  #80

Great. Let them be overly confident.
For Dayton, this game with the Dukes is a trap game.
Expected to win yes but on the road and a conference game
against a team and coach that desperately need to win.
Will the Dukes win? Facts show it is not probable but anything is possible.
Still I bet the Dayton head coach is telling and showing his team that 
the Dukes have talent and should be treated with respect.
Hopefully, his team nods their head in understanding but in reality
they think all they have to do is show up, go through the motions and
they win.

1/28/2020 3:39 pm  #81

Dennis C91 great & insightful post. I agree with your analysis. FAM another positive post. If Dambrot fails Duquesne May end up in the Patriot league. Go Dukes.

1/28/2020 3:48 pm  #82

Phoenix: we r waiting for your game thread stats!  If we can be competitive tomorrow might we have a shot...but we have to play SMART and not get into head games.  Come on Dukes...I was there when you upset Xavier and Miller.  Go Dukes!

1/28/2020 4:56 pm  #83

Which Dukes team shows up? If it's the team we saw in the second half of the Princeton, Lipscomb and St. Louis games, the first half of the Air Force and Davidson games and pretty much the whole game against Loyola Marymount, Columbia, Radford and St. Joe's, then maybe we have a shot. We'll at least be able to keep it close. Anything less than that, probably not. And if the team of more recent vintage from the Fordham and UMass games and second half of the Rhode Island game returns, we're gonna get our doors blown off. 

Board footera