Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 11:55 am  #76

Re: Game Thread - Dayton Flyers #7 (H)

rittersdiner wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Wow KD ran out Williams Mr. Loyalty who’s only Div I offer came from Dambrot.After Williams Freshman A10 awards I’m sure the coaching staff at Nike aka Oregon University NEVER approached him to transfer from Duquesne. And a pig just flew out of my Ass. I know Jim Ferry was a great coach & Dambrot sucks. Nice post hope your workload decreases so I can get my daily dose of humor. Love this board.

Feel bad for the pig.

Not a Ferry fan either.

So you are saying we don't need a consistent 2 guard? Anyone agree with that?

Ritter's -  I realize this is a free country - Individuals are entitled to their opinions -  BUT

Maybe I've watched too many cop television shows where the police say "Don't believe in coincidence" or things like that -  was it "just coincidence" that your work load lightened up and you had more time to post - right AFTER the team hit the three game losing streak as opposed to the three months when things were going well??

The Forum listed you with 387 posts when I checked -  How many would you say have taken a "positive tone" and how many have taken a "negative tone"???

For all of us with "rose colored glasses" - maybe the Pirates have some sort of Fan Forum and you can go there and share your opinions.

Wouldn't mind a more consistent two guard -  Also would like more depth up front - just have to hope the coaching staff can fill what THEY determine to be their needs -  Abe Lemons once said "If there are Five 18 year olds running around with MY pay check in their mouth -  Better get the RIGHT 5 18 year olds!" 

1/31/2020 12:50 pm  #77

[color=#201f1e]We had that guard in Williams and KD ran him off.

From a very reliable inside source and long before it was known that Williams was transferring,the word on the kid was that he was, and I quote, a "cancer on the team". I quote because these are very strong words I myself would not publicly use to describe a young man for an area of life so unimportant as a his involvement on a basketball team. So maybe he maybe he ran himself off the team. Again, the source is very reliable. For myself, I wish he was still here. I don't know what happened that soured his attitude during the 2 years he was here.

1/31/2020 1:26 pm  #78

rittersdiner wrote:

First, I am not a troll. I’ve just been too busy to post. What I see in this team is that there is no consistency in the outside shooting from the guards, especially the two.

I have never been a KD fan but I think his plan has made the program better. Still, I think he is a bit of a dinosaur in that he relies on his front court to win games. To be fair, that’s where the most talent lies on this team

But we desperately need a sharp shooting guard, who can pull defenses away from the basket and open up the middle of the lane, to take the next step to the next level. I don’t see that type of guard on this team and that’s the reason why we lost to UMass.

We had that guard in Williams and KD ran him off. If you want to win a title, find another one like him.

I don't think you're a troll. I think anyone who reads this board and wants Duquesne to win is an OPTIMIST. 

1/31/2020 4:01 pm  #79

rittersdiner wrote:

First, I am not a troll. I’ve just been too busy to post. What I see in this team is that there is no consistency in the outside shooting from the guards, especially the two.

I have never been a KD fan but I think his plan has made the program better. Still, I think he is a bit of a dinosaur in that he relies on his front court to win games. To be fair, that’s where the most talent lies on this team

But we desperately need a sharp shooting guard, who can pull defenses away from the basket and open up the middle of the lane, to take the next step to the next level. I don’t see that type of guard on this team and that’s the reason why we lost to UMass.

We had that guard in Williams and KD ran him off. If you want to win a title, find another one like him.

Coach is bringing in Jett Roesing who has been referred to as one of the best shooters coming out this year. If he lives up to the hype he could be your answer. Time will tell but I've seen him in person and he can stroke it..

1/31/2020 4:15 pm  #80

Westender wrote:

[color=#201f1e]We had that guard in Williams and KD ran him off.

From a very reliable inside source and long before it was known that Williams was transferring,the word on the kid was that he was, and I quote, a "cancer on the team". I quote because these are very strong words I myself would not publicly use to describe a young man for an area of life so unimportant as a his involvement on a basketball team. So maybe he maybe he ran himself off the team. Again, the source is very reliable. For myself, I wish he was still here. I don't know what happened that soured his attitude during the 2 years he was here.

If that source is reliable then why wouldn’t they tell all the boat load of schools to recruit him then? I find that very hard to believe he was a cancer and still actively tweets and roots for us still. Just my 2 cents I know you guys won’t agree but I just don’t buy that one.

1/31/2020 4:55 pm  #81

SkepticAl wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Wow KD ran out Williams Mr. Loyalty who’s only Div I offer came from Dambrot.After Williams Freshman A10 awards I’m sure the coaching staff at Nike aka Oregon University NEVER approached him to transfer from Duquesne. And a pig just flew out of my Ass. I know Jim Ferry was a great coach & Dambrot sucks. Nice post hope your workload decreases so I can get my daily dose of humor. Love this board.

Feel bad for the pig.

Not a Ferry fan either.

Ritter's -  I realize this is a free country - Individuals are entitled to their opinions -  BUT

Maybe I've watched too many cop television shows where the police say "Don't believe in coincidence" or things like that -  was it "just coincidence" that your work load lightened up and you had more time to post - right AFTER the team hit the three game losing streak as opposed to the three months when things were going well??

The Forum listed you with 387 posts when I checked -  How many would you say have taken a "positive tone" and how many have taken a "negative tone"???

For all of us with "rose colored glasses" - maybe the Pirates have some sort of Fan Forum and you can go there and share your opinions.

Wouldn't mind a more consistent two guard -  Also would like more depth up front - just have to hope the coaching staff can fill what THEY determine to be their needs -  Abe Lemons once said "If there are Five 18 year olds running around with MY pay check in their mouth -  Better get the RIGHT 5 18 year olds!" 

Consistent 2 guard? Williams wasn't it either.  KD a dinosaur?  Bull.  It is very, very hard to bring into any program Bigs that can move and live in the paint. So most don't try.  Every  D-1 coach would want to be this kind of dinosaur. This team can beat anyone, if they play their game, in the paint. Don't like it, don't watch.  The real problem is when they get away from it.  Not many D-1 teams can handle a team that comes in there place and takes over their paint. Ron just never could find this kind of talent, but today's Dukes are there but also are their worst enemy when they get away from dominating the game inside. Season isn't over, and this team can have a heck of a run if they just stick to who they are.   

1/31/2020 5:44 pm  #82

NapaDuke wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Feel bad for the pig.

Not a Ferry fan either.

What’s a consistent 2 guard to you?

Consistent 2 guard? Williams wasn't it either.  KD a dinosaur?  Bull.  It is very, very hard to bring into any program Bigs that can move and live in the paint. So most don't try.  Every  D-1 coach would want to be this kind of dinosaur. This team can beat anyone, if they play their game, in the paint. Don't like it, don't watch.  The real problem is when they get away from it.  Not many D-1 teams can handle a team that comes in there place and takes over their paint. Ron just never could find this kind of talent, but today's Dukes are there but also are their worst enemy when they get away from dominating the game inside. Season isn't over, and this team can have a heck of a run if they just stick to who they are.   

1/31/2020 6:19 pm  #83

EW is gone for whatever reason. No point in reliving what happened.
Is KD the best coach in the country? No.  But he is, in my opinion, the
best coach for the Dukes and the school's available resources.
Dukes have ten games left. Five at home and five on the road.
We start with LAS on Sunday.
Best case is if possible win the last three. Go into the 
tournament playing well. 
I have teams have great seasons until the end, falter, then lose the
first game of their tournament.

1/31/2020 7:13 pm  #84

Econ69 wrote:

EW is gone for whatever reason. No point in reliving what happened.
Is KD the best coach in the country? No.  But he is, in my opinion, the
best coach for the Dukes and the school's available resources.
Dukes have ten games left. Five at home and five on the road.
We start with LAS on Sunday.
Best case is if possible win the last three. Go into the 
tournament playing well. 
I have teams have great seasons until the end, falter, then lose the
first game of their tournament.

Well, teams that play in the paint, because they dominate in the paint, go deep at the end of the season. If we surprise teams down the line, it's not from some great 2 point guard, but a team effort supporting going inside. Only one team is left standing at the end, but seasons are built on late season runs like this team can produce. KD's team is that close. Go Dukes.

1/31/2020 7:30 pm  #85

rittersdiner wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Feel bad for the pig.

Not a Ferry fan either.

There is so little humor on this board. Your retort to the pig out the ass line was nice. I laughed out loud a little on a very difficult personal day.

I agree wholeheartedly with your KD as a dinosaur, EW, & 2 guard points. You just touched on some topics that most on the board consider taboo. I generally like your analysis.

However, you do tend to be a bit of a Negative Nancy Provocateur. You seem to be baiting folks a fair bit of the time. That makes you hard to take seriously. I wish you would just add to the conversation and let the rest go.

Last edited by phil95 (1/31/2020 7:33 pm)

1/31/2020 8:01 pm  #86

GoDukes2017 wrote:

"If that source is reliable then why wouldn’t they tell all the boat load of schools to recruit him then? I find that very hard to believe he was a cancer and still actively tweets and roots for us still. Just my 2 cents I know you guys won’t agree but I just don’t buy that one."

I'm just quoting what I was told in response to the claim that Dambrot ran him off. Dambrot did not run him off. And I don't care whether you believe it or not or that he tweets and roots for his former teammates.Being a "cancer" suggests he was disruptive and/or disrespectful-more a problem for the coaching staff than with teammates I would think. Again, the source was reliable.

Last edited by Westender (1/31/2020 8:05 pm)

2/01/2020 8:58 am  #87

I would agree that most of my posts are on the negative side but we haven’t been to the NCAA tournament in four decades. There has been a lot of negative times in this program.

That being said, I think I also pointed out some positives in the posts. I have said before that I am no KD fan, so that should not be a surprise. But if you notice, I do give him credit for making the program better.

The timing of my latest post really has nothing to do with the losing streak. The problem I had was not being able to watch this team to make a judgment on their strengths and weaknesses until recently. One of the shocking things about this program is the few times it shows up on television.

I would also point out that following a loss, there are many other posters who express their anger with the way the team played.

2/01/2020 10:27 am  #88

phil95 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Feel bad for the pig.

Not a Ferry fan either.

There is so little humor on this board. Your retort to the pig out the ass line was nice. I laughed out loud a little on a very difficult personal day.

I agree wholeheartedly with your KD as a dinosaur, EW, & 2 guard points. You just touched on some topics that most on the board consider taboo. I generally like your analysis.

However, you do tend to be a bit of a Negative Nancy Provocateur. You seem to be baiting folks a fair bit of the time. That makes you hard to take seriously. I wish you would just add to the conversation and let the rest go.

Excellent post Phil. I have to admit, Ritter has grown on me a bit over the years. He's a glass half empty type, but that's ok, because you need that to balance out the "Dukes are wonderful, KD is wonderful" types. Overall, I think KD was a very good hire, and probably the safest hire we could have made (with a young unknown coach, you don't know if you're getting Jim Ferry, or the next Nate Oats). That said, he's not above criticism, or analysis. At this point, I think you can safely say that at worst, he's returned us to where we were under Everhart, which is a competitive program in the A10. The unanswered question of course, is what is the ceiling under him. As he has made clear many times, he didn't come here to just reach Ron's level. I think his minimum expectation, and ours as well, is to reach the level that Mark Schmidt has at Bona. In the last 8 years, Bona has 2 NCAA, and 1 NIT appearances. That is a reasonable, and reachable goal, and anything less would be a disappointment. Of course KD thinks he can make us into an eastern Gonzaga, which is a-ok with me. Nothing wrong with having high goals. That said, he needs to upgrade the level of player he's bringing in. We're basically at the level of a good MAC team talent wise, but that's not going to get you to the top of the A10. Hopefully our improved play will help him land better players. I'm also hoping that having Ashton Gibbs on the staff will help us in landing players from along the coast. KD is strong in the Great Lakes area, but I don't think a Pittsburgh team can excel without recruiting along the coast, as Pitt has found out. From Green, and Ricketts, to Alston, James, Jackson, Saunders, and Monteiro, you have to get some players from there.I just don't think you can depend on strictly going into the Big 10's backyard to get all of your players, especially with the Big East now being a half Midwestern league.

2/01/2020 1:44 pm  #89

duq81 you have it backwards.  We need way more "Dukes are wonderful, KD is wonderful" fans to balance out the negativity on this board.

My advice for the players:

2/01/2020 5:21 pm  #90

KD has gotten much praise & deserved every bit of it. He has done what few could have. I love the direction which he has the program going even though his Xs and Os are not my preference & I find his public, off-court, persona a tiny bit grating.

2.5 years in I think he has the program in better, more sustainable shape than RE because of:
-The obvious year over year record improvements
-The role he played in getting the new arena done (One of the few insider bits of info I have ever had about Duquesne basketball is that Dambrot was a hard NO without a commitment to a major arena upgrade directly from both the AD & President.)
-The quality of his year 4 recruits
-The development seen in Weathers & Hughes coupled with the ability to get meaningful size into the program in 4 consecutive recruiting classes (I am quite high on Andre/RE and Ferry really struggled with this)
-ALL signs point to high team morale causing a great deal of talent, size, & experience returning for year 4. (Yes, I know players that I don't want to leave will be in the transfer portal by 5/1.)

2/02/2020 8:38 am  #91

CLK wrote:

duq81 you have it backwards.  We need way more "Dukes are wonderful, KD is wonderful" fans to balance out the negativity on this board.

My advice for the players:

What we really need are more posters like Phil who take the middle ground, which is probably the correct ground to take at this point.

Board footera