Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2020 7:16 pm  #1

Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (H)

3:00pm EST tip on Saturday 02/08/2020 at the UPMC Events Center, Moon Township, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #87 (17-5; 7-3) vs St. Bonaventure Bonnies #108 (15-8; 7-3)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 5, 68-63 - Dukes with 69% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 4 point favorites; Over/Under 131½
Duquesne 10-12 Against the Spread; St. Bonaventure 12-9-1 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Davidson (89); Indiana State (91); Saint Louis-2 (94)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): UMass (198); UAB (193); Marshall (154)
St. Bonaventure Best Win(s): Rutgers (27); Hofstra (128); George Mason-2 (174)
St. Bonaventure Worst Loss(es): Canisius (242); Ohio (212); Siena (183)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (64); Turnover % (85)
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (300)
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (4); Turnover % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (12)
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (1); FT Rate (2)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (88)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (65); FT Rate (79) 

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  FT Rate (3)
Offensive Weakness:  Turnover % (12)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (3); Effective FG % (4)   
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (14); Turnover % (11)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
St. Bonaventure Adj Offense Efficiency - 105.5, #112 in D-1; 103.3, #6 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 96.0, #65 in D-1; 97.8, #5 in A-10
St. Bonaventure Adj Defense Efficiency - 99.6, #122 in D-1; 98.6, #7 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 105.0, #126 in D-1; 101.8, #7 in A-10
St. Bonaventure Adj Tempo - 65.0, #318 in D-1; 64.7, #12 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.4, #221 in D-1; 66.8, #10 in A-10

Miscellaneous
Experience - St. Bonaventure 1.01 yrs, #334 in D-1; Dukes 1.41 yrs, #270 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - St. Bonaventure 44.5%, #192 in D-1; Dukes 55.3%, #114 in D-1
Average Height - St. Bonaventure 77.8", #46 in D-1; Dukes 75.9", #298 in D-1

2/07/2020 7:16 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (H)

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 96th in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.
St. Bonaventure is 130th in the country and OUT in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=381&tid2=4391&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/08/2020 10:57 am)

2/07/2020 8:11 pm  #3

You can stuff your stats in a sack(Seinfeld reference).    😁

But really, this sums it up. 
https://youtu.be/BuzPvMrUrLY

2/08/2020 12:56 am  #4

I know they've had our number in the series for awhile, but I think this team is different; especially the way they are playing right now. We shut down Lofton last year and I think Sin can get it done again. Osunniyi killed us on the boards, but is not a big threat to score. I expect the defensive intensity to be high at home, so as long as we can rebound I think we'll be good. We cleaned up the glass against a similar team in St. Louis, and I think we can get it done again. Expect a close one, but I think we get off the schneid against them 66-63.

2/08/2020 9:17 am  #5

Time for Coach Dambrot to get his first W against Coach Schmidt since he was hired as the Dukes head coach. Coach Dambrot ended streaks from both Richmond & Davidson. Go Dukes

2/08/2020 10:24 am  #6

2/08/2020 10:30 am  #7

Phoenix - Automated Game Preview not coming up  - please check - I NEED TO READ!

2/08/2020 10:49 am  #8

FAM wrote:

Phoenix - Automated Game Preview not coming up  - please check - I NEED TO READ!

Phoenix put in one too many http’s and didn’t have a colon on the second. Try this:

http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=381&tid2=4391&neut=0

2/08/2020 10:58 am  #9

luckymcd wrote:

FAM wrote:

Phoenix put in one too many http’s and didn’t have a colon on the second. Try this:

http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=381&tid2=4391&neut=0

Thanks, luckymcd.  FAM, link fixed.  

2/08/2020 3:56 pm  #10

Just got home not liking the Bonnies getting 43 in a half.

2/08/2020 4:01 pm  #11

Bonnies shooting really well we need to step up the defense. Got both of their post guys on the bench for a lot of the first half and we couldn’t take advantage. TDM and Steele keeping us in the game. Starters need to step up offensively.

Need to stop taking so many threes five seconds into the shot clock. We had opportunities to take a lead and kept chucking and chasing.

2/08/2020 4:16 pm  #12

Dukes letting them have everything in the paint

2/08/2020 4:41 pm  #13

The first half coaching honors definitely go to Schmidt. Why is the zone being extended to take away the high post entry still a frickin surprise?!?

Mental toughness is lacking in this group. If they manage to win it will be because SBU goes deathly cold or the Dukes become extremely hot.

It is a great crowd. Please, oh please, take advantage of that for once. 

I am one frustrated fan!

2/08/2020 5:16 pm  #14

Coach Dambrot got Bilichicked by Coach Schmidt. Schmidt took our best player out of game Weathers. Very Bilicheck like. Coach Dambrot keep it up . Clearly apparent our guards have High School bodies. Hire a strengthening coach Dave. Bonnie’s guards pissed over our guards. All Sophomores. Bonnie’s don’t even have a footballl program. Weak physically = loser program.

2/08/2020 5:59 pm  #15

I dont know. I was there. Sincere was unbelievable in the second half and Martin kept them in the game. If i heard ray n jarrett correctly carry had o turnovers.  Need to get over the hump n win against some of the top tier teams. We are close just have to finish tge deal

2/08/2020 6:38 pm  #16

Tough game to lose. We needed much more out of our forwards; especially on the boards (got out rebounded by 14 and gave up 15 offensive rebounds). Marcus looked like he was hurting (denied by KD when asked by Jarrett post game); no field goals and only 5 rebounds. We continue to get very little out of the 3 position, pretty much invisible. Steele had one rebound.

Yet in spite of all that, the Dukes were tied with 1:30 to play. A sloppy defensive mixup gave Lofton enough space to hit a huge 3 point shot. And the Dukes responded with a very poor offensive possession. Pretty much game over from that point forward.

2/08/2020 6:39 pm  #17

1111 Vickroy wrote:

I dont know. I was there. Sincere was unbelievable in the second half and Martin kept them in the game. If i heard ray n jarrett correctly carry had o turnovers.  Need to get over the hump n win against some of the top tier teams. We are close just have to finish tge deal

Sometimes the other team is too good.  Today was one of those days.  I felt our intensity was really high, but my lord did they make some tough shots in the 2nd half.  Lofton was a monster and we have to remember that the Bonnies really haven’t lost a game with Osun.  I honestly expect them to win out (but hopefully we steal one in The great city of Olean).

Last edited by Simms (2/08/2020 6:40 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/08/2020 6:44 pm  #18

They just need to get over the hump. Rhode island n dayton tuesday. St. B is tough but the fans are aholes. The dukes can beat them but weatherz has to be on his a game. I think he was worn out.

2/08/2020 6:44 pm  #19

I know that they doubled him every time but Marcus was the key today.  We outscored them in the 2nd and took to long to go to other scorers.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/08/2020 7:04 pm  #20

I would never have imagined that it was possible to lose under these circumstances:

-only 6 turnovers when the opponent had 11
-18-22 from the line
-41.2% on 34-3pt attempts
-Lead guards combine for 42 points, 10 assists, & 0 turnovers 
-8 blocked shots
-Down by 2 with the opponent's best 2 players on the bench with 4 fouls at the same time & 5+ minutes to go in the game while playing at "home" in front of a strong, vocal crowd

Frustration reigns!

2/08/2020 7:09 pm  #21

Dont over estimate the crowd. Unfortunately the bonnies probably had a thousand n they were loud n boisterous.

2/08/2020 7:10 pm  #22

In fact the only way to shut them up was when the cheerleaders came out n the band was cranking it out

2/08/2020 8:11 pm  #23

Simms wrote:

Sometimes the other team is too good. Today was one of those days. I felt our intensity was really high, but my lord did they make some tough shots in the 2nd half. Lofton was a monster and we have to remember that the Bonnies really haven’t lost a game with Osun. I honestly expect them to win out (but hopefully we steal one in The great city of Olean).

I have to respectfully disagree. We did what we had to do and got both Lofton and Osuniyi in foul trouble. This is Lofton's third game against us, but the first time he brought his A game. For every tough shot he made though, we had a ridiculous three that somehow found the bottom of the net.

We were entirely reliant on the three ball tonight. Sin, TDM, and Steele were burying them, but we're at our best when we're getting it in the paint. We barely even tried, even when Osuniyi was out. We got killed on the boards too, again even without Osuniyi. Their 6'5 and 6'4 guards outrebounded anyone on our roster. When crunch time came the Bonnies let us back in it with bad shots, turnovers, and defensive lapses. That let us back in the game, but we couldn't get over the top.

They are much better than their record shows, but they are not a great team, and didn't play great ball tonight. If we brought our A game, we would have beaten them, but we didn't. Hopefully we do in Olean, because you could clearly see how much both teams wanted this game.

2/08/2020 8:14 pm  #24

-Solid from 2, excellent from 3, really good at the line** and minimal turnovers leading to a 125 efficiency rating and yet we still come up short is so disappointing.

-Last year's game at Palumbo was an abomination offensively and even a D- output could have won the game and this year the offense puts up an A output and the defense was unable to string together stops.

-Just could not stop them today as they got in the lane too easily and killed us from 3 and at the rim led by Lofton, of course.

-Marcus was outstanding vs SLU but he also appeared to take a beating in that game and I wonder if there was some carryover. KD really got after him after he had his shot blocked and he looked defeated lying in the floor and (I think) it carried over to the next defensive possession.

- Tavian kept us alive and was amazing from three and Sin really came alive in the second half. If only those late threes would have fell.

-Possibly the worst officiating crew we've had in league play thus far. You could convince me Fordham was worse, based on the end game debacle alone. How Scott Arbogast gets a game between two teams in the top half of the standings is hard to imagine, then you realize nearly all of D1 is playing today.

-(Hopefully) a silver lining is they have it better figured out on attacking Bona. I felt last year, Ossuniyi's ability to guard any big in single coverage allowed the rest to stay up on shooters and we had nothing for them, especially with Sin missing the game up in Olean. Today they showed different dimensions on offense, now if only they can stop Bona.

**Couldn't believe Dukes were 18-22 from the line as the misses really were standing out to me in my head. Of course, I'd take nearly 82% at that volume of shots every single night. but damn did two of those misses have to be front ends of a 1-in-1? 

--I know KD doesn't like the bye week but hopefully it enables some recovery and good practices. Fordham at Rose Hill won't be easy as they've been a tough out for Davidson, Bona and Richmond and we already gnashed our teeth playing them at home.

2/08/2020 9:20 pm  #25

Baylee Steele, 20 points....1...n i mean 1 rebound...did i miss something? I think we had a tough time inside

Board footera