Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2020 9:34 am  #76

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (A)

I just want to take the time to thank our players and coaches for a great victory on the road against our most hated rival in the A-10.  I simply could not tolerate losing to this bunch again, with those obnoxious fans, their coach who acts like he invented basketball, and those ugly brown uniforms, coming from that hole in the earth known as Olean, NY. 
The whole team showed toughness!  Sin Carry, calm and gutty performance, striking back after things were looking bad! 
Michael Hughes putting in one of his best performances when absolutely needed.

Lamar Norman, for making some big shots

Steele for coming up big at the end

Rotroff with a nice contribution; along with Buckley on defense

2/27/2020 9:38 am  #77

Westender wrote:

it's tough to watch. This is a game they had a good chance to win.

Yes, we definitely did have a chance to win ;) I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking the same thing though.

phil95 wrote:

Under what circumstances would KD yank TDM? I don't care if folks here don't like to criticize the players too specifically. One player is making it damn near impossible for the Dukes to win. He's immature & selfish. His defense is a joke!

I usually am one of the ones who doesn't like to see personal criticisms of the players, but I have to agree on that one. When the other team is on a run, we need to slow things down and go to our best play to get a bucket. A quick 25 footer isn't anybody's best play. He did it twice too. I wouldn't say his defense is a joke though. He's a pesky defender who makes some nice plays. His lack of height is definitely a detriment, but we knew that coming in. A liability? Yes. A joke? No.

DennisC91 wrote:

Not only did they not call the T, they waved off the shot and he had to make two more. 

I think they handled it right in not calling the T. It didn't seem like it was thrown on the court, seemed like the fan just lost it. Calling a T at that point would have been madness. The smart thing to do would have been to give Sin the benefit of the doubt though. If he makes it, count it. If he misses, penalize the home team by calling the shot off. So I think the refs did botch it, but I think T'ing them up at that point would have been worse. I know it's by the book, but there's always a gray area.

townsonkid wrote:

These wins are getting expensive for me, Dukes win, I lose.   I aint complaining.

You should start going with my predictions for the games. I nailed this one again.

rittersdiner wrote:

Austin, Carry and TDM a combined 10-for-35 from field, 5-for-22 from 3. What is Maceo doing out there? Thank heavens for Norman or we lose.

I really have to question if you watched the game, or are just looking at the box score. Sin had 11 assists and nailed clutch foul shots to send the game to OT. This game isn't even close if he doesn't play. Maceo didn't have a great game, but he did the little things to help out and hit a big 3 when we needed it. Watching the game I couldn't help but think this game could get him back on track.

townsonkid wrote:

Buckley seems to be a defensive sub late in games.   Or maybe he is a good FT shooter.   Regardless, its nice to have 3 "PG"s on the court when the other team is pressing and trying to foul.

I've been saying all year he's a good defender. He might never give us much offensively, but the minutes he gave last night helped keep us fresh for OT. It truly was a team effort, and even the guys that don't really show up in the box score were big parts of this big win.

2/27/2020 10:03 am  #78

townsonkid wrote:

Do their fans always chant "you are ugly" at the opponents or was that something targeting Maceo and Mike?   Next year I would be on their players like stink on poo.    But we have no student fans, even if they get a new student section in a new arena and the team is kicking butt,  23 kids will show up.
And why does anything think the Reilly Center is anything nice?   Its a high school gym.   It gets loud cause its tiny and old.   Looks like something Penn Hills and Connellsville would play in.

Nobody thinks Reilly Center is nice; not even the folks responsible for managing it. (A close relative of mine.) It is quite out of date but, those folks have neither the funds nor motivation to change that.

What they do have is a generations deep, dedicated local following, awesome student turnout, a longstanding commitment to "lipstick on a pig" upgrades, a seating arrangement that makes it hard for opponents, a geographical location that is a misery for opponents, & game day production values that far exceed their place in the A-10's hierarchy.

If a combination of a Coop-bump & team development yeilds 90% of the same fan buy-in for, I honestly believe that the Dukes will be a perennial top 40 program. It is exciting to think this could happen.

There is so much riding on the next 25 months of DU basketball. Whether DU will merely be a respectable A-10 program or amongst the cream of the crop for the next decade will likely be decided in this timeframe.

This season's finish, next season's results, a successful Coop opening, player retention, & the ability of the 20 & 21 recruiting classes to improve the talent level are vital.

2/27/2020 10:28 am  #79

Well that was one of the most gratifying wins in years!  As many mentioned, Sin is man in the clutch, not afraid of the moment and basically made 5 foul shots in a row under extreme pressure and botched officiating.  How about his drive past Lofton and left handed layup!  Then the pull up jumper in the lane.  Wow.  Norman stepping up was so nice to see.  Lamar, I love when you drive to the lane and do a pull up jumper as well - do more of it, although I know you hit the 3's (4 of them) last night - you have enough size and quickness to get that shot off.  Hughes a stud and as noted super all around and smart game.  Steele, EB and Rotroff all contributed and were needed.  I also thought Maceo had more jump in his step - give the kid time, he will be all A-10 level before he's done.  Now, I am with you guys regarding TDM being a liability when he is not shooting a decent percentage.  Despite my good friend GMan calling the upset several days ago, he predicted that every 3 games TDM goes off.  Well GMan was a little off there.  Last 3 games TDM is 5/24 from the three - ouch!  When he is not hitting it is a major problem and KD needs to probably pull him sooner, just sayin. 

2/27/2020 11:14 am  #80

townsonkid wrote:

Do their fans always chant "you are ugly" at the opponents or was that something targeting Maceo and Mike? 

Yes. They got even more creative with TDM if I was hearing correctly. It's brought up a couple times a year whether it's still kosher to continue doing these things

townsonkid wrote:

But we have no student fans, even if they get a new student section in a new arena and the team is kicking butt,  23 kids will show up.

Ok chief

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

2/27/2020 11:41 am  #81

A pull up J is a thing of beauty

2/27/2020 12:31 pm  #82

levon1975 wrote:

I just want to take the time to thank our players and coaches for a great victory on the road against our most hated rival in the A-10.  I simply could not tolerate losing to this bunch again, with those obnoxious fans, their coach who acts like he invented basketball, and those ugly brown uniforms, coming from that hole in the earth known as Olean, NY. 
The whole team showed toughness!  Sin Carry, calm and gutty performance, striking back after things were looking bad! 
Michael Hughes putting in one of his best performances when absolutely needed.

Lamar Norman, for making some big shots

Steele for coming up big at the end

Rotroff with a nice contribution; along with Buckley on defense

I couldn't have said it better. I hate losing to Bonaventure. My head explodes when it happens, so as you know, my brain is in shreds over these past many years. Losing to LaSalle comes in second. Why? Because I can't figure out how and why these 2 teams in particular can out recruit us with the resources they have. Hopefully, with our renewed commitment to the program, that will change.(Although I know LaSalle's location in Philadelphia does help).

2/27/2020 12:39 pm  #83

Westender wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

And the bad old Dukes return. The unforced turnovers, the missed layups, the 30-footers, the inability to box out. 

Yes, it's tough to watch. This is a game they had a good chance to win.

I guess I should have said that it's tough to watch,but we still have a chance to win this game. I wasn't giving up on the game at that point, but I wasn't optimistic based on what I was seeing.

2/27/2020 3:00 pm  #84

Sin on the Stadium broadcast postgame:
https://twitter.com/stadium/status/1232859963263012866

Nice job by Sin, and good questions from Dr. G and Matt Martucci

2/27/2020 4:44 pm  #85

Phoenix so agree nice job Sin very polite. Work on the and aaugh & I mean that with love. My daughters very well educated in the sciences and super successful uses “you know” every second drives me crazy.Sin work on that because your future is very bright. I can say that since my family is originally from Farrell Pa😂 Final thought I really enjoy Dr. G’s broadcast. Very insightful. Should be on CBS come March madness. Great job Coach & Dukes.

2/27/2020 6:11 pm  #86

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Sin on the Stadium broadcast postgame:
https://twitter.com/stadium/status/1232859963263012866

Nice job by Sin, and good questions from Dr. G and Matt Martucci

Very impressed with Sincere in the interview; just seems like a very humble and good person.  His family must be very proud of him.

2/27/2020 6:41 pm  #87

Sin seems like one of those guys that is truly in his element when between the lines. His game is very assertive while mostly showing excellent patience.  Refreshingly, he appears to be having a fair amount of fun as well without being a target for hate from opponents. I enjoy watching him interact in the postgame handshake line.  It is obvious that opposing coaches & players respect him.

I think it was DUQ81 that pointed out how good MHughes was last night.  He was energetic & engaged while maintaining a laser focus for the task at hand. In terms of raw production, his stats speak for themselves but his mental game, especially with Weathers out, is worth harping on a bit. Here's hoping the success on a big stage flips a switch for him going forward. 

2/27/2020 7:33 pm  #88

applecorps wrote:

gjgsr wrote:

gjgsr wrote:

Duquesne should file a complaint with the A10 .  Despite that, a huge win for Duquesne over St. Bonaventure! Despite questionable officiating in Olean, NY. Home team is ahead (by 2 points) with  around 23+ seconds left and Duquesne's Sin Carry can nail it with 2 shots at the foul line. He shoots and makes the first despite baloons waving in the background and one of the baloons landing on the court. BUT WAIT! the referee waves it off because of the baloon landing on the court?????? THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A TECHNICAL! The ref ices Sin Carry in the perpetraitors gym & makes him shoot twice again! Can you imagine if this happened at Palumbo- -  (although difficult to with our meager support!) the technical would have been called on us..   IN ANY CASE, LETS ENJOY THIS WIN AND BUILD ON IT WITH THE REMAINING GAMES....

I was so mad about that lack of call - i emailed A10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade and told her that their refs didn't have the fortitude to make the correct call in Olean...  There was a lot riding on that for Cary and his team --and at the very least they should have allowed the first basket he made.  And further -- he very graciously never brought it up in the interview with the Stadium Broadcasters!

I was highly dismayed when that happened, to put it mildly. But I heard a whistle before Sincere shot the first foul shot.  Wan't sure if it was an official's whistle, but I guess it was. The game was stopped. Mr. Carry just went on to play a fantastic end-game and get a big win. Kudos to Mike Hughes, who was almost perfect from the floor. 

Lamar hit some great shots, but didn't get open late in the game. Probably need to have him moving more without the ball to create space.

I was looking at the season stats and one that jumped out at me was Lamar has only shot 13 free throws so far. I'd like to see him add driving to the hoop and drawing some fouls to his game.

2/27/2020 8:54 pm  #89

I have watched Lamar in warmups a couple of times lately. I guess I missed the fact that he can really elevate; particularly off 2 feet.

I would like to see the fake flare screen alley-oop play that has been run for Sin go Lamar's way once or twice. That could be a real momentum shifter & loosen some things up for Maceo & Marcus.

2/27/2020 9:47 pm  #90

luckymcd wrote:

Westender wrote:

Yes, we definitely did have a chance to win ;) I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking the same thing though.

phil95 wrote:

Under what circumstances would KD yank TDM? I don't care if folks here don't like to criticize the players too specifically. One player is making it damn near impossible for the Dukes to win. He's immature & selfish. His defense is a joke!

I usually am one of the ones who doesn't like to see personal criticisms of the players, but I have to agree on that one. When the other team is on a run, we need to slow things down and go to our best play to get a bucket. A quick 25 footer isn't anybody's best play. He did it twice too. I wouldn't say his defense is a joke though. He's a pesky defender who makes some nice plays. His lack of height is definitely a detriment, but we knew that coming in. A liability? Yes. A joke? No.

DennisC91 wrote:

Not only did they not call the T, they waved off the shot and he had to make two more. 

I think they handled it right in not calling the T. It didn't seem like it was thrown on the court, seemed like the fan just lost it. Calling a T at that point would have been madness. The smart thing to do would have been to give Sin the benefit of the doubt though. If he makes it, count it. If he misses, penalize the home team by calling the shot off. So I think the refs did botch it, but I think T'ing them up at that point would have been worse. I know it's by the book, but there's always a gray area.

townsonkid wrote:

These wins are getting expensive for me, Dukes win, I lose.   I aint complaining.

You should start going with my predictions for the games. I nailed this one again.

rittersdiner wrote:

Austin, Carry and TDM a combined 10-for-35 from field, 5-for-22 from 3. What is Maceo doing out there? Thank heavens for Norman or we lose.

I really have to question if you watched the game, or are just looking at the box score. Sin had 11 assists and nailed clutch foul shots to send the game to OT. This game isn't even close if he doesn't play. Maceo didn't have a great game, but he did the little things to help out and hit a big 3 when we needed it. Watching the game I couldn't help but think this game could get him back on track.

townsonkid wrote:

Buckley seems to be a defensive sub late in games.   Or maybe he is a good FT shooter.   Regardless, its nice to have 3 "PG"s on the court when the other team is pressing and trying to foul.

I've been saying all year he's a good defender. He might never give us much offensively, but the minutes he gave last night helped keep us fresh for OT. It truly was a team effort, and even the guys that don't really show up in the box score were big parts of this big win.

Look, Carry did some good things at the end and I'm glad they won, The difference between a winning team and a tournament team is better shooting. Oh, I listened to the game.

Last edited by rittersdiner (2/27/2020 9:49 pm)

2/27/2020 11:21 pm  #91

townsonkid wrote:

Do their fans always chant "you are ugly" at the opponents or was that something targeting Maceo and Mike?   Next year I would be on their players like stink on poo.    But we have no student fans, even if they get a new student section in a new arena and the team is kicking butt,  23 kids will show up.
And why does anything think the Reilly Center is anything nice?   Its a high school gym.   It gets loud cause its tiny and old.   Looks like something Penn Hills and Connellsville would play in.

Against the Bonnies at RMU there was a group of 4 or 5 students at half court behind the scorer's table giving it to Bonnies players all game, even getting players including Lofton and Osun to interact with them during the game and after they won. Now, I'm not sure if it worked... It might've even put a spark underneath Lofton's ass that day, but we do have that from a few of our fans. Pretty sure they called them ugly too lol.

2/28/2020 9:03 am  #92

BluffHunter wrote:

Against the Bonnies at RMU there was a group of 4 or 5 students at half court behind the scorer's table giving it to Bonnies players all game, even getting players including Lofton and Osun to interact with them during the game and after they won. Now, I'm not sure if it worked... It might've even put a spark underneath Lofton's ass that day, but we do have that from a few of our fans. Pretty sure they called them ugly too lol.

Reminds me of one of the few times in my four years that the student section was full. It was against GW and on ESPN (why TV games are when people finally chose to go to the game always confused me). SirValient Brown was their star guard. Now I don't know if there was any truth to it or if it was just trying to get under his skin. Someone had a sign referencing SirValient "One Nut" Brown though. Then every time he touched the ball a "one nut" chant started. It did light a spark under his ass. He torched us for like 30 points including a buzzer beater for the win. Then he ran off the court flipping off the student section with both hands. ESPN chose not to show that part.

2/28/2020 11:34 am  #93

luckymcd wrote:

Westender wrote:

phil95 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

For the record, I don't fault TDM's effort on defense. He always works hard. Calling it a "joke" was a too harsh, heat of the moment reaction on my part.

My issues are that he continues to be out of position far too often resulting in open 3s, he offers littke to  no resistance on close-outs, & that despite his quickness, he can't seem to stop taller, stronger players from going around + through him & easily to the basket in one on one matchups.

Board footera