Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2020 9:34 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - VCU Rams

Great Ghosts Alive!!!!!!  👻🏀

Last edited by coffee (3/03/2020 9:36 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/03/2020 9:37 pm  #52

Duq 81, Tony romo, really?

3/03/2020 9:39 pm  #53

Took some major mental toughness to pull this one out - incredible win - Go Dukes!

3/03/2020 9:40 pm  #54

These kids showed some guts in this one. Hard place to win and this is the first time this year where I thought the refs didn't give us a fair shake. I thought Weathers got hammered twice before he got hit with the T.

3/03/2020 9:47 pm  #55

Big one!! 
Really happy for the entire program.
See you Friday!!

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

3/03/2020 9:48 pm  #56

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Duq 81, Tony romo, really?

Tony Romo is excellent. That's why he's getting a big raise. He's a pleasure to listen to. That said, Jarrett has become good in his job. He's comfortable now. I think he's better than dry Curtis Aiken is on the Pitt games. Of course even Aiken is better than the last few years of Dick Groat. Always liked Groat, but there comes a time when the gig is up, and he stayed around 5-6 years too long. It's amazing how good Ray still is at his age. You have to feel great for Ray after all of those awful seasons he had to call.

3/03/2020 9:48 pm  #57

Duquesne Dukes--thinkin' big!!!

3/03/2020 9:52 pm  #58

Hey Westender, you must watch too much Debbie Downer on SNL.  Duquesne is a good and well-coached team...finally.

3/03/2020 9:52 pm  #59

You've gotta give the Dukes credit. They didn't have their A game for about 30 minutes, but they kept it close enough to give themselves a chance. Down 12, 8 minutes left, against a team we've never beaten, on their floor, fans rowdy, Carry and Mike in foul trouble, it wasn't looking good. Decent teams can win games when they have their A game. It takes really good teams to find a way to win when they don't. TDM, Marcus, and Norman answered the bell big time. This is a big win that obviously reading this page not a lot of people other than the ones on the bench thought they could pull off.

3/03/2020 9:53 pm  #60

WashPaRick wrote:

These kids showed some guts in this one. Hard place to win and this is the first time this year where I thought the refs didn't give us a fair shake. I thought Weathers got hammered twice before he got hit with the T.

Speaking of Weathers, I had been under the impression that the "interior semi-circle" (whatever it's called) was to place a dividing line on plays involving drives to the hoop and a defender setting up for a charge. You have to set up outside the line, and you must give the offensive player landing space if you are inside the line.

Is it really supposed to be used for players getting an offfensive rebound inside the line and slamming a defender in the face trying to get free with the ball? I don't think I've ever seen it used that way before, nor is it appropriate. Somebody expert on the rules, please set me straight on this.

3/03/2020 9:56 pm  #61

How about our Dukes!  Bad calls by the ref, and the Mini-Mircrowave comes through.  GMan, looks like 1-5 for by the MircoWave, but we'll take it all the way!!!  How about this Dukes!  MH gets bullshit 5th foul, Marcus fouled twice in the same play before the T, and BS bombs away to start the OT!!  OMG, Sin, Norman - what a drive to tie it.  We have the guts and now the glory!!  Go Dukes!!

3/03/2020 9:59 pm  #62

Wore my Dukes jersey to work last thursday, wearing it again tomorrow(unwashed).  🥳

3/03/2020 10:02 pm  #63

applecorps wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Speaking of Weathers, I had been under the impression that the "interior semi-circle" (whatever it's called) was to place a dividing line on plays involving drives to the hoop and a defender setting up for a charge. You have to set up outside the line, and you must give the offensive player landing space if you are inside the line.

Is it really supposed to be used for players getting an offfensive rebound inside the line and slamming a defender in the face trying to get free with the ball? I don't think I've ever seen it used that way before, nor is it appropriate. Somebody expert on the rules, please set me straight on this.

The “vertical cylinder”
Another rule interpretation concerns the “vertical cylinder,” or in layman’s terms a player’s personal space. So long as an offensive player’s forearms are more vertical than horizontal, he can freely move the ball from one side of his body to the other, and if a defender makes contact with him it’s a defensive foul so long as the offensive player’s contact is not excessive and unnecessary.

In recent years, defensive players had been (usually at the instruction of their coaches) been drawing cheap flagrant fouls by getting in an offensive player’s grill and drawing contact with the offensive player’s elbow when he tried to move (usually, there was an egregious flop in there.) Now, so long as the offensive player doesn’t make excessive contact — meaning, basically, so long as he doesn’t purposely knock the defender in the jaw with his elbow — and he’s making a normal basketball play, such contact is a defensive foul. However, if the offensive player’s forearms are horizontal to the ground and there’s contact, it’s an offensive foul. This rule also goes the other way, as well, and prohibits an offensive player from invading the vertical cylinder of a defender who’s in proper position.

3/03/2020 10:03 pm  #64

WHAT.A.WIN!!!

Best road win since...last Wednesday.

Even sweeter considering the plays and points left on the table + questionable calls on the Dukes

I think this clinches no lower than the 6th seed, but 4th seed is one step closer to happening. 

3/03/2020 10:10 pm  #65

theprofessor1099 wrote:

Hey Westender, you must watch too much Debbie Downer on SNL.  Duquesne is a good and well-coached team...finally.

If you keep this up Professor, I'm going to tell everybody who you are.

3/03/2020 10:16 pm  #66

Yo guys and gals!
Been a while since I’ve posted here so...
Thanks for blowing up our Senior night!
Good game I guess there was some garbage calls but that was both ways and in the end you got it so there’s that and I’m not gonna complain.

There are a couple folks here one in particular that I hope is enjoying a shot or sip of bourbon tonight, let it be known that I’m raising a toast to him and his dad tonight. I’m not around often but I remember we were nice to each other and that’s what I’m about.

Prost!

Congrats Again on the win, cheers!
/a little Dämmït on the side tho ;)

3/03/2020 10:19 pm  #67

Would have been a tough night for Sin, but his teammates picked him up and won the game.

3/03/2020 10:27 pm  #68

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

The “vertical cylinder”
Another rule interpretation concerns the “vertical cylinder,” or in layman’s terms a player’s personal space. So long as an offensive player’s forearms are more vertical than horizontal, he can freely move the ball from one side of his body to the other, and if a defender makes contact with him it’s a defensive foul so long as the offensive player’s contact is not excessive and unnecessary.

In recent years, defensive players had been (usually at the instruction of their coaches) been drawing cheap flagrant fouls by getting in an offensive player’s grill and drawing contact with the offensive player’s elbow when he tried to move (usually, there was an egregious flop in there.) Now, so long as the offensive player doesn’t make excessive contact — meaning, basically, so long as he doesn’t purposely knock the defender in the jaw with his elbow — and he’s making a normal basketball play, such contact is a defensive foul. However, if the offensive player’s forearms are horizontal to the ground and there’s contact, it’s an offensive foul. This rule also goes the other way, as well, and prohibits an offensive player from invading the vertical cylinder of a defender who’s in proper position.

I gather that your description of the play and call that happened was that Weathers got in Santos' space, and deservedly got called for the foul. I'm OK with that. That may have been a fair assessment of what happened, and I thought perhaps that was going to be the call when the whistle was blown. 

But when the announcers made reference to the line on the floor as being the rationale for the call that was made, I thought that was a poor call. The announcers may have simply "called the call" wrong.

3/03/2020 10:29 pm  #69

MikeR wrote:

Would have been a tough night for Sin, but his teammates picked him up and won the game.

Worth noting that this team can win even when Sincere is not on his A game. Especially when TDM gets a hot streak going.

3/03/2020 10:42 pm  #70

Dambrot's quick thoughts on the game: https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1235045539479085056

3/03/2020 11:11 pm  #71

applecorps wrote:

MikeR wrote:

Worth noting that this team can win even when Sincere is not on his A game. Especially when TDM gets a hot streak going.

Sin was really great defensively & orchestrated almost every clutch bucket and/or foul shot the Dukes got.

VCU was not going to let him score tonight. That was clearly the game plan. Likewise, he was pretty awful at the FT line.

I'll take 7-6-7 & 3 turnovers in 41 minutes as an off day for a starting point guard any time.

That was an awesome game!

3/03/2020 11:34 pm  #72

With about 10 minutes left, Weathers got a charge called against him down 10, and Macro had this look on his face with his hands on his knees like "nothing is going our way. Were not getting bounces. Were not getting shots. Were not getting calls"

And I imagine that's not the only time in the 2nd half body language from a duke looked like that.

But they just. Kept. Fighting. They just kept digging.

It was like pulling teeth I'm sure. But they got it done. They got it done in 2 of the most hostile environments in the A10 in back to back weeks where we hadn't won in a combined 14 tries.

Unbelievable effort

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/03/2020 11:41 pm  #73

phil95 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

MikeR wrote:

Sin was really great defensively & orchestrated almost every clutch bucket and/or foul shot the Dukes got.

VCU was not going to let him score tonight. That was clearly the game plan. Likewise, he was pretty awful at the FT line.

I'll take 7-6-7 & 3 turnovers in 41 minutes as an off day for a starting point guard any time.

That was an awesome game!

Him and Baylee gave VCU a taste of their own medicine with the high ball screen offense late in the OT. Sin navigated the chasing double team/trap to find Steele for the game winning three and key foul shots for Marcus

3/03/2020 11:42 pm  #74

3/04/2020 6:40 am  #75

yak-rbc wrote:

It was like pulling teeth I'm sure. But they got it done. They got it done in 2 of the most hostile environments in the A10 in back to back weeks where we hadn't won in a combined 14 tries.

Unbelievable effort

Is that you Reporter Hughes?

Board footera