Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2020 11:11 pm  #1

Power Conferences overrated ? Yes

The Big Ten is going to send 10 teams to the dance. How many championships have they won in the past 30 years  ??  ONE in 2000 ! The PAC 12 is going to send 7 teams to this years tournament. In the past 30 years, how many teams do you think won the championship??? TWO over twenty years ago. Finally the Powerful Big 12 has only ONE championship to show for their dominance the past 30 years!!!

Think of all the teams these three conferences have sent to the big dance over the past 30 years and they combined, could only win 4 championships. 1 in the past 20 years.

In my opinion that’s the definition of being overrated. Stop sending so many teams from these overrated conferences based on a biased rating system. The proof is in the pudding.

3/06/2020 7:11 am  #2

Re: Power Conferences overrated ? Yes

Great research. This is shocking. If you want to know what's going-on follow the money trail. And now these conferences want to pass a policy where players can leave a team at anytime without worrying about sitting out a year. That pretty much much makes us "peasant" programs a farm system for the "elite" so we can help them get even more team's into the tournament.
The stats that Wildwood13 has provided has got to be one of the biggest secrets withheld from the general public in college basketball and it's disgusting. Maybe it's time for the power conferences to have their year-end basketball tournament and the rest of us have our year-end basketball tournament and then have the final fours from each tournament meet for a championship playoff.
A playoff scenario will never happen, of course, just as the current injustices with the present "dance" will never be corrected. So, 1-2-3, SHOW ME THE MONEY!

3/06/2020 8:27 am  #3

I wouldn't call this secret information since this is all verifiable.

Do you know how many national championships the A10 has? Or even how many Final Fours in the 44 year-ish history of the conference? 1...the 96 UMass team made it to the Final Four. That's it.

A comprehensive list of mid-major national champions of the last 40 years:

1990 UNLV (Big West)
1980, 1986 Louisville (Metro) maybe? That's it

Final Fours? 2018 Loyola, 2017 Gonzaga, 2013 Wichita, 2011 VCU, 2010 and 2011 Butler, 2008 Memphis, 2006 Mason, 2003 Marquette....that takes me to the turn of the century and I dont care enough to go back further.

Every 3 years or so a mid-major sneaks into the Final Four or even the title game and gets a country to fall in love with them. And I wholeheartedly agree that the deck is stacked against mid-majors and big money and big schools are actively making it harder.

But let's not pretend the results of A10 or comparable to even the lowest performing power conference even

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/06/2020 9:47 am  #4

yak-rbc wrote:

Do you know how many national championships the A10 has? Or even how many Final Fours in the 44 year-ish history of the conference? 1...the 96 UMass team made it to the Final Four. That's it.

1990 UNLV (Big West)

Final Fours? 2018 Loyola, 2017 Gonzaga, 2013 Wichita, 2011 VCU, 2010 and 2011 Butler, 2008 Memphis, 2006 Mason, 2003 Marquette....that takes me to the turn of the century and I dont care enough to go back further.

Every 3 years or so a mid-major sneaks into the Final Four or even the title game and gets a country to fall in love with them. And I wholeheartedly agree that the deck is stacked against mid-majors and big money and big schools are actively making it harder.

But let's not pretend the results of A10 or comparable to even the lowest performing power conference even

All of this is true, but nearly all of those big conference championships have come from a small group of elite schools. The problem isn't Duke, Kansas, UNC, or UK, we know no A10 program comes close. The problem is when the Clemsons, and Minnesotas of the world get the advantage over the VCUs, or St. Mary's.

3/06/2020 10:12 am  #5

That I will agree with.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/06/2020 10:35 am  #6

yak-rbc wrote:

1990 UNLV (Big West)

I am not going to go into further research, but let’s assume that out of these thirty years each of these conferences send and average of five teams. That would be 450 teams and only 4 championships. That’s a percentage I wouldn’t be touting!

3/06/2020 11:33 am  #7

Lunardi did the research for you:

"Since 2013-14, when power conference configurations became as they are now, a total of 10 sub-.500 members (in six seasons) would have lost their NCAA bids under the Lunardi Rule. These teams had an average seed of 10.08 and WON ONLY THREE GAMES COMBINED in the tourney. That's a 3-10 record if you're counting and a .231 winning percentage. As a point of comparison, in the 64-plus team era, every seed line in the field except the bottom three -- Nos. 14, 15 and 16 -- has a better winning percentage than the sub-.500s.• In the same six-year time frame, double-digit at-large seeds from outside the P5/Big East are .500 (12-12 overall) in the tournament. And the sample size is comparable: 12 teams, with an average seed of 10.75, nearly a full line worse than the "middling majors" group. It includes the likes of Dayton (Elite Eight, 2014) and two-win Wichita State of 2016, perhaps the most under-seeded team in tournament history. Other NCAA winners among the 12 are St. Bonaventure (defeated UCLA, 2018) and Belmont (defeated Temple, 2019)."

Read more at: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28725358/behind-bracket-implement-tournament-eligibility-criteria

Last edited by DennisC91 (3/06/2020 11:35 am)

Board footera