Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2020 6:55 pm  #1

Game Thread - Richmond Spiders

7:00pm EST tip on Friday 03/06/2020 at the PPG Paints Arena, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #92 (21-8; 11-6) vs Richmond Spiders #48 (23-7; 13-4)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 1, 72-71 - Dukes with 50% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 1 point underdogs; Over/Under 143
Duquesne 13-16 Against the Spread; Richmond 17-13 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): VCU (69); Saint Louis-2 (71); Davidson (75)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): George Washington (227); UAB (194); UMass (170)
Richmond Best Win(s): Wisconsin (25); Rhode Island (64); VCU (69)
Richmond Worst Loss(es): Radford (177); Saint Bonaventure (116); Saint Louis (71)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Richmond for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (16); Effective FG % (25)
Offensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (326); FT Rate (290)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (100)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at Richmond in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (1); Effective FG % (3)
Offensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (13)
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (1); FT Rate (2); Effective FG % (3); Turnover % (4)  
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (89)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (93) 
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (288)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  None   
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (14)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Richmond Adj Offense Efficiency - 109.4, #52 in D-1; 106.8, #3 in A-10
- vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 99.1, #108 in D-1; 101.9, #8 in A-10
Richmond Adj Defense Efficiency - 96.0, #66 in D-1; 93.4, #1 in A-10
- vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 107.3, #82 in D-1; 104.1, #5 in A-10
Richmond Adj Tempo - 69.0, #134 in D-1; 70.0, #2 in A-10
- vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.6, #216 in D-1; 66.7, #10 in A-10

Miscellaneous
Experience - Richmond 1.63 yrs, #197 in D-1; Dukes 1.43 yrs, #262 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - Richmond 66.4%, #36 in D-1; Dukes 55.7%, #110 in D-1
Average Height - Richmond 75.9", #300 in D-1; Dukes 75.8", #304 in D-1

3/05/2020 6:55 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Richmond Spiders

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 102th in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.
Richmond is 47th in the country and first 8 OUT in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=537&tid2=4391&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

3/05/2020 8:04 pm  #3

Gotta hang tight on Sherrod he's hit 10 of 15 shots from 3 in his last 3 games.

3/05/2020 8:17 pm  #4

WashPaRick wrote:

Gotta hang tight on Sherrod he's hit 10 of 15 shots from 3 in his last 3 games.

So he's due for an 0 for 6.

3/05/2020 8:23 pm  #5

3/05/2020 9:06 pm  #6

Funny, last year they were a PIG participant and reading their board before and after the Dukes win down there, there was enough arrogance towards Duquesne to make a place like PantherLair blush. Now with their full allotment of players, a second seeded team for the A10s and much on the line for the dance regarding this game, they acknowledge this game certainly could be a challenge for them.

Lot of keys to the game: Richmond has a lot of firepower.  They can really shoot it, especially Francis, Gilyard and Sherrod. Golden doesn't really shoot threes anymore enhancing their offense by being a passer and low post scorer while being more efficient.
They never grab offensive rebounds, so keeping them off the glass if they miss is an absolute must as well as the foul line (best in the A10).

I think of Richmond's offense but they are the best defensive team by efficiency in the league as Phoenix's post illustrates. I tend to think that matchup zone is giving teams fits on the perimeter with Gilyard's ability to rack up steals and the sub 30% three point shooting against. 
With that said, looking at last year's box score, Sin was KenPom box score MVP and our front line was 55% (11-20) from two point range. Sincere's ability to penetrate, finish drives or find our front line players inside for finishes will be, I believe the way the Dukes can get this done on the offensive end.

Looking forward to it and I think this will be an exciting game with hopefully a Dukes W.

Last edited by Brian (3/05/2020 9:07 pm)

3/05/2020 10:27 pm  #7

Am I to understand then that if they're so great at defensive rebounding and terrible at offensive rebounding that their transition is non-existent?

Edit: their pace of play is above average so it's not like they grind to a halt. Do the guards just force a lot of backcourt steals? Admittedly I havent watched UR in conference play.

Last edited by yak-rbc (3/05/2020 10:29 pm)

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/06/2020 12:49 am  #8

3/06/2020 9:33 am  #9

They force a lot of turnovers, and don't turn the ball over themselves. They force outside shots and defend the perimeter really well. We got them last year, but they have dominated the series since they joined the conference. It's senior night for us, but we don't really have many. They are playing for a tournament berth. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see us winning this one. It should be a tight game though. I'll say Richmond 73 Dukes 71.

3/06/2020 11:57 am  #10

How ironic I remember while in Richmond last year I saw the FIRE Mooney sign paid for by some Spider alumni. What a difference a year makes. Fortunate for Richmond U they have a President with a clue and an AD that is not a clown like the Quinipiac Clown. 5 lost years & a (profanity) load of money spent after Ron got fired. The new regime at Duquesne has provided a bright future on the bluff. Go Dukes.

3/06/2020 6:54 pm  #11

I am massively disappointed in the size of this crowd.

3/06/2020 6:59 pm  #12

Let’s goooooo

3/06/2020 7:50 pm  #13

The refs are absolutely garbage.

Travel on a player who is actively dribbling the ball?

Ignoring blatant fouls, like when a player jumped into Norman.

And what on earth was that goaltend?

Why was it Richmond’s ball at the end of the half?

I’m sort of buying the A10 conspiracy theories now.

Last edited by Face (3/06/2020 7:53 pm)

3/06/2020 7:57 pm  #14

Face wrote:

The refs are absolutely garbage.

Travel on a player who is actively dribbling the ball?

Ignoring blatant fouls, like when a player jumped into Norman.

And what on earth was that goaltend?

Why was it Richmond’s ball at the end of the half?

I’m sort of buying the A10 conspiracy theories now.

I've been saying all year the A-10 refs are horrible, but it evens out over the course of the game and the season. Tonight is the first time I'm second-guessing that. We didn't do ourselves any favors in the last few minutes, but it seems like every single call has gone Richmond's way. It looks a little bit like we're battling a really good team and a team of zebras tonight...and doing it with almost no fan support. 

3/06/2020 7:58 pm  #15

Second game in a row where the refs are giving us the second rate program calls.

3/06/2020 8:01 pm  #16

I came into this game expecting to get shafted by the refs. The A10 probably would do anything for a second at large bid.

3/06/2020 8:12 pm  #17

Some of the most absurd “travels” I’ve ever seen. I’m astounded.

3/06/2020 8:23 pm  #18

Not helping ourselves with shot selection though.

3/06/2020 8:29 pm  #19

Maceo missing in action, and the guards are 4-24 from the field. That's how you lose. We've shot 17 free throws to their 5, so I would bet their fans think the refs are on our side.

3/06/2020 8:32 pm  #20

duq81 wrote:

Maceo missing in action, and the guards are 4-24 from the field. That's how you lose. We've shot 17 free throws to their 5, so I would bet their fans think the refs are on our side.

FTs are one thing. These phantom TOs off of nonexistent travels are really something else.

3/06/2020 8:56 pm  #21

Face wrote:

duq81 wrote:

FTs are one thing. These phantom TOs off of nonexistent travels are really something else.

I hear ya, but as the late Bruce Keidan used to say, It's always a case of whose ox is getting gored. The refs suck, they always do, but you know that if we had half the free throws of the other team, we'd be having a fit. The refs aren't the reason our guards are 8-31 from the field.

3/06/2020 9:09 pm  #22

My observations Maceo a bust. I would be be an all Alll American with Oscar. Lamar based on that shot against VCU became a junior. Duquesne the more talented team tonight. No 2 guard. Lamar drive to the basket. 
nt 
erican it’s 

3/06/2020 9:13 pm  #23

37.5% from the ft line.

3/06/2020 9:23 pm  #24

Ironduke81 wrote:

My observations Maceo a bust. I would be be an all Alll American with Oscar. Lamar based on that shot against VCU became a junior. Duquesne the more talented team tonight. No 2 guard. Lamar drive to the basket. 
nt 
erican it’s 

I'm not going to give up on him yet. It's been a tough year. That said, they always say the biggest improvement comes between your freshman, and sophomore year. He has work to do. He'll either step up, or it will be next man up. He's not the only one who'll need to raise his game over the summer if we expect to be the top 2-3 team in the A10 that we hope.

Next up, brush yourself off, and make sure you get at least one win in Brooklyn. The NIT isn't likely to happen without that 22nd win.

3/06/2020 9:24 pm  #25

Foul shooting, foul shooting, foul shooting

Board footera