Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2020 3:50 pm  #1

Marcus Weathers 2nd Team - No Other Dukes Sighted or Cited

Atlantic 10 2019-20 Men’s Basketball End-of-Year Awards
https://atlantic10.com/documents/2020/3/10//1920MBBAwardsList.pdf

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/10/2020 3:51 pm)

3/10/2020 4:41 pm  #2

Re: Marcus Weathers 2nd Team - No Other Dukes Sighted or Cited

About as expected.

3/10/2020 5:53 pm  #3

I would have liked to see Carry on one of the all-conference teams, but his stats weren't as good as his game. I think Hughes deserved a spot on one too, but his attitude probably hurt his support. I have to imagine TDM got some votes for sixth man again, but he may have been hurt by being a starter at the beginning of the year. The only real outrage I really have is Hughes not being on the all-defensive team. He was second in the league in blocks and also in the top ten in steals (only non-guard among the top 20). I'm not sure whether I'd have him in place of French or Osunniyi, but I think he definitely deserved a spot.

3/10/2020 5:58 pm  #4

duq81 wrote:

About as expected.

Not me.  I really thought that Michael Hughes would be on the All Defensive team.  He lead the A10 in block shots and was number 4 in blocks in the Nation.  

3/10/2020 6:03 pm  #5

Lucky - you get my vote.
Carry - possibly 3rd team but at times, like against Richmond, he just appeared out of it.
TD - he was the 6th man last year, at times was flat on offense and I remember too many turnovers he gave up - plus, I thought his size really hurt him on defense this year
Hughes - I agree...could have been on the All Defensive Team - he was one of the tops in the country on blocks...but again...I don't know if you can put him in front of French or Osunniyi...though I looked at French as more of an offensive threat at times

3/10/2020 6:23 pm  #6

Well the A 10 All teams just gave Coach Dambrot & his players a big FU. Thank you voters. MIke Hughes All world defense blocks steals & rebound. Unbelievable. . Bring the chip on the shoulders for this tourney Dukes. No respect Rodney Dangerfield style. Go Duquesne......

3/10/2020 7:18 pm  #7

I didn't see this posted anywhere else - link to a Dambrot interview out today - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ6wRAxinM8

I like his confidence - "he's packin' for four days," and "if we shoot the ball in ... we'll win."

3/10/2020 7:19 pm  #8

Ironduke81 wrote:

Well the A 10 All teams just gave Coach Dambrot & his players a big FU. Thank you voters. MIke Hughes All world defense blocks steals & rebound. Unbelievable. . Bring the chip on the shoulders for this tourney Dukes. No respect Rodney Dangerfield style. Go Duquesne......

You couldn't really expect Dambrot to get coach of the year over Grant? Grant's a serious candidate for national coach of the year. I would hope he was a unanimous choice. I agree Mike not being well liked probably hurt him. The fans on the A10 board view the Dukes as cocky punks, especially the Bona guys.

3/10/2020 7:48 pm  #9

indy - no disrespect toward you or the coach, but if he is saying if we shoot the ball in we will win isn't exactly brain surgery.  If a baseball team scores more runs than the other team they will win - If a hockey team scores more goals...I mean the best teams have the players that score more than the other teams.  The idea that we got to 21 games is because we have better players than in the past but the fact that we have lost some of those...especially due to foul shots is because some of our players aren't good enough to be Consistent enough.  I think we have the type of team where everyone has to show up and play their best for us to win the next four...which also isn't brain surgery!  Go Dukes

Last edited by FAM (3/10/2020 7:53 pm)

3/10/2020 7:49 pm  #10

duq81 wrote:

About as expected.

Mike Hughes should have been there for the defensive team. 

3/10/2020 7:54 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

You couldn't really expect Dambrot to get coach of the year over Grant? Grant's a serious candidate for national coach of the year. I would hope he was a unanimous choice. I agree Mike not being well liked probably hurt him. The fans on the A10 board view the Dukes as cocky punks, especially the Bona guys.

Bona fans...The self appointed "Guardians of the Game." The A10 board is all but dead these days. It used to be a good read in season and it's a shell of what it once was. There's probably more posts on KD's gameday wardrobe than anything related to on court discussion.

M. Hughes put it best earlier in the year referring to Maceo's future and potentially winning awards. The point stands for really anyone up for awards representing Duquesne. It played out here for All Defensive team:
1:20 mark of the video

Last edited by Brian (3/10/2020 7:55 pm)

3/10/2020 8:07 pm  #12

While disappointed Michael didn't make all defensive team, I'm happy for Marcus making All A10 second team.
Now if we can get a guy or two on the All Tournament team, I think we'll be pleased with how the weekend shaped up for our Dukes.

3/10/2020 9:02 pm  #13

Congratulations to Marcus! I thought he had a shot at the 3rd team. Second team is a big deal in this year's league. I wonder how close he was to also winning Most Improved. I am sure he got plenty of consideration for that.

3/10/2020 9:11 pm  #14

Whoever wrote MHughes attitude prevented him from being selected was right on. He absolutely deserved to be All-Defensive & he is probably better than 1 or 2 of the 3rd team players but, his near-constant nonsense makes it hard for outsiders to appreciate the quality of his work.

Sin is also an outstanding defensive player. He didn't have eye-popping steals numbers that guards seem to need to be recognized. I would think his not earning any awards combined with seeing SBU's Lofton be first team would serve as motivation for him going forward.

I have watched the Bonnies 8-9 times. There is no way Kyle Lofton is one of the top 6 players in the conference.

3/10/2020 9:55 pm  #15

Not only did Mike lead in blocks, but he was the only forward in the league in top ten steals per game. Absolutely brutal that he did not get awarded all defensive team.

3/10/2020 10:53 pm  #16

Big Congrats to Marcus!
Well earned.
He has had a breakout year & is a big reason for a 20+ win season.

3/11/2020 11:38 am  #17

KD is pissed that Michael Hughes not selected to All Defensive Team.  See video link...

https://twitter.com/JRown32/status/1237749115880116230

Also when asked about closing the tournament to fans he said:  "If it's not in everybody's wellbeing, then we can't have fans... we're used to it."  Speaks the truth.  Got to love the guys.

https://twitter.com/JRown32/status/1237750466777407488

3/11/2020 1:40 pm  #18

CLK wrote:

Also when asked about closing the tournament to fans he said:  "If it's not in everybody's wellbeing, then we can't have fans... we're used to it."  Speaks the truth.  Got to love the guys.

Ouch!! Can't dispute it though. If we don't draw next year, not much we can say. No excuses.

Board footera