Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2020 3:36 pm  #1

Chad Baker Commits To Duquesne

6-6/G/Chad Baker from Spire Academy committed to Duquesne..He is originally from the Dominican Republic but played HS basketball in NJ.

https://twitter.com/highmajorscoop/status/1245083632479469568

3/31/2020 3:47 pm  #2

3/31/2020 3:51 pm  #3

Re: Chad Baker Commits To Duquesne

Interesting find.   Looks like he has the chance to grow into more of a player too....Baker averaged 18.9 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 2.1 steals and 1.7 blocks per game as Colonia went 24-5, won the Greater Middlesex Conference White Division title with a record of 11-0, advanced to the GMC Tournament semifinals and won its first NJSIAA North 2 Group III sectional title since 2015. For his efforts, Baker is the 2018-19 Home News Tribune Boys Basketball Player of the Year. 
Long and lean, can get up and down the court in about 5 strides.   From his clips, he is a smooth player, can leap.   This is a nice find by KD, looks promising, esp conssidering he has only been in America for 2 seasons.   

Last edited by townsonkid (3/31/2020 3:53 pm)

3/31/2020 4:00 pm  #4

Originally committed to Mississippi Valley State but will certainly welcome him.  A10 a big jump from his original commitment

3/31/2020 5:43 pm  #5

This is obviously an Ashton Gibbs recruit. KD does a great job recruiting Ohio, and Michigan, but I don't think you can win consistently at Duquesne without recruiting the coast. Good move!!

3/31/2020 6:02 pm  #6

duq81 wrote:

This is obviously an Ashton Gibbs recruit. KD does a great job recruiting Ohio, and Michigan, but I don't think you can win consistently at Duquesne without recruiting the coast. Good move!!

Wrong actually.  McFadden actually recruited this kid. 

3/31/2020 6:06 pm  #7

duq81 wrote:

2/3 of Michigan is “coast.” 😉 My HS alma mater was this year’s II/3 champs, so it’s a tough group. I have a buddy who’s the HS guru in NJ so I’ll bounce Davis off him.

3/31/2020 6:10 pm  #8

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

2/3 of Michigan is “coast.” 😉 My HS alma mater was this year’s II/3 champs, so it’s a tough group. I have a buddy who’s the HS guru in NJ so I’ll bounce Davis off him.

Here is the PSN article.

" Coach McFadden first talked to me about Duquesne.”  …… "They’re really amazing coaches. Coach McFadden, that’s my guy. Everyday, he checks in with me to make sure I’m doing good and making sure that I’m staying on top of my classes. To be honest, he’s been like a family member to me"

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/03/31/2020-sf-chad-baker-commits-to-duquesne/

3/31/2020 6:45 pm  #9

CLK wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Here is the PSN article.

" Coach McFadden first talked to me about Duquesne.”  …… "They’re really amazing coaches. Coach McFadden, that’s my guy. Everyday, he checks in with me to make sure I’m doing good and making sure that I’m staying on top of my classes. To be honest, he’s been like a family member to me"

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/03/31/2020-sf-chad-baker-commits-to-duquesne/

OK, still good. Landing players from NJ, and nearby states is never a bad thing, even if you think we don't need to recruit there to win.

3/31/2020 7:03 pm  #10

Baker looks promising,very quick,has 3 point range,went to prep school  in Ohio to perhaps get stronger
and get another year of basketball under his belt. He has the quickness and shooting touch of a guard.
 Needs to put on weight,get stronger but he is very skilled.

3/31/2020 7:32 pm  #11

In this video, Chad's coach at Spire calls him a point guard. There's been a lot of talk on the board about who the backup will be. I very highly doubt that Dambrot plans to play him there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-DKmnYyaLQ

Some full games of his:
Senior season: #4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyh0lLeB4IY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVBSY2Y_Z0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTH9pbX-w2c
Post Grad Season: #0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8PHfkPOOmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKdM6pnyvRg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYe1h15EPic&t=1122s

Last edited by BluffHunter (3/31/2020 7:32 pm)

3/31/2020 8:03 pm  #12

Has anyone heard anything on Andre Harris? If he’s coming does James Ellis leave? If this was to occur might be inheriting another player with academic issues.

3/31/2020 8:13 pm  #13

Dukes412 wrote:

Has anyone heard anything on Andre Harris? If he’s coming does James Ellis leave? If this was to occur might be inheriting another player with academic issues.

The best/only news I've heard about him in months is from the Vukovcan PSN article that CLK posted earlier: 

"He committed late and was scheduled to officially sign during the signing period in April. However, the NCAA has canceled the April signing period due to the coronavirus pandemic. I’m told that Harris is still solidly committed to Duquesne but he’s a talented forward so it’s likely other programs in need of a forward are reaching out to him."

3/31/2020 8:23 pm  #14

Dukes412 wrote:

I am curious why you think he has academic issues?  He had an eligibility issues for one month before he was reinstated and finished the season with Hillcrest Prep, but it was my understanding it was over high school eligibility time frame. You only get so many months of HS eligibility. Since he transferred from Compton Prep mid season there was a question that was resolved.  Maybe I am wrong, but I never saw there was an academic issues.

Also BluffHunter I still question Vuckovan comment about the Spring Signing Period being canceled. 

3/31/2020 8:43 pm  #15

According to nationalletter.org the signing period has not YET been cancelled.  However the Collegiate Commissioners Association will re-evaluate that status prior to the scheduled start of the signing period, April15.

3/31/2020 8:51 pm  #16

Interesting clarification CLK & kcc173, let's hope the part about being "solidly committed" came from a trusted source and is true. And I wonder which high major schools are still trying to contact him as mentioned in the article.

3/31/2020 9:51 pm  #17

Arent we filled up now with Baker and Sin's brother?   13 scholarships, plus Harper.   

3/31/2020 9:59 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

Arent we filled up now with Baker and Sin's brother?   13 scholarships, plus Harper.   

I believe so, the vukovcan article mentioned does say "it would not be a surprise" to see another player go. I'm not sure if he would say that without hearing some credible rumors.

3/31/2020 10:49 pm  #19

townsonkid wrote:

We're one over if Harris is coming, and Sin's brother is on scholarship.

4/01/2020 8:14 am  #20

I had just removed Harris and added Baker to the roster, therefore considered us full. 
I dont want to see anyone else leave, I like the roster.     

4/01/2020 8:21 am  #21

kcc173 wrote:

According to nationalletter.org the signing period has not YET been cancelled.  However the Collegiate Commissioners Association will re-evaluate that status prior to the scheduled start of the signing period, April15.

I see no benefit, or reason to cancel the signing period?  If players are ready to sign; why not let them sign.  It would allow them to relax and not be bothered constantly by coaches trying to see if they can sneak in the back door.  Signing a letter and sending it off to a school doesn’t involve any personal contact.

4/01/2020 9:03 am  #22

Chad certainly has some basketball DNA in his blood, with his dad playing and coaching professionally; it's an extra bonus having that kind of influence growing up.  Another plus, he's a lefty. 

4/01/2020 11:38 am  #23

levon1975 wrote:

kcc173 wrote:

According to nationalletter.org the signing period has not YET been cancelled. However the Collegiate Commissioners Association will re-evaluate that status prior to the scheduled start of the signing period, April15.

I see no benefit, or reason to cancel the signing period? If players are ready to sign; why not let them sign. It would allow them to relax and not be bothered constantly by coaches trying to see if they can sneak in the back door. Signing a letter and sending it off to a school doesn’t involve any personal contact.

Defintely agree. They can always add another signing period a bit later.

4/01/2020 1:05 pm  #24

A little more information from attached article

Chad Baker, 6’7” Wing, SPIRE – If you were in Springfield last week and overheard, “Who the hell is that dude?!?” it was probably someone asking about Baker. After being named the Central New Jersey Player of the Year at Colonia HS last season, Baker decided to head to SPIRE in order to get his grades and game right for the D1 level. The grades are in the process of being handled but his game was intriguing as anyone in attendance. Big, explosive, unselfish, versatile, efficient and consistent. Not to mention, you’ve gotta have some confidence in your hoops future to be a 6’7” lefty in the Dominican Republic and refuse to get pulled onto a pitcher’s mound at some point.

PRODUCTION: Avg’d 23 Pts/8 Reb/5 Ast/3.7 Stl/1.3 Blk in 3 games vs Northfield-Mt Hermon, Orangeville and Bill Crothers

BOTTOM LINE: Once he qualifies, Baker should become a priority for D1 programs looking for a versatile wing with a high-ceiling.

https://www.thehoophustle.com/news_article/show/1073632

4/01/2020 2:04 pm  #25

CLK ,I  love this kid, he is a very good passer, handles the ball as well as a guard and has a nice soft jumper and he is 6-7.Needs to get stronger but wow ,very impressed.What a find.

Board footera