Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2013 8:04 pm  #1

Pitt AD vs. Duq. AD

Okay, Pitt's AD just got his contract renewed and the Pitt unfaithful finally took time out of their jealousy bashing of Penn State to talk about their own school.  It appears that the vast majority dislike the move.  But at least Pitt announced it.  Here is my question.  Does anyone really know for sure if the Duquesne President renewed the contract of our AD?  If they did, why wasn't it announced...but does anyone really know the truth?
Thanks,
FAM

6/11/2013 8:16 pm  #2

Re: Pitt AD vs. Duq. AD

A better question might be why aren't we looking to upgrade? Len Komoroski, president of the Cleveland Cavaliers, is a Duquesne graduate.

6/12/2013 6:24 am  #3

The question could be a better one, but I am looking for an answer to the original one and don't know why anyone will doesn't  anything - he either has or has not had his contract renewed.

6/12/2013 7:23 am  #4

Steve Pederson is about as popular with Pitt fans as GA is with Duquesne fans, so I imagine there is much complaining among the Pitt faithful about Nordenberg. Of course, both Charlie, and Nordenberg have donations flowing in at record levels, so I guess they are not the boobs that the sports fans think they are.

6/12/2013 7:47 am  #5

Wasn't Nordenberg the name of one of the characters in the Naked Gun movies?

6/12/2013 10:13 am  #6

ElDuque wrote:

A better question might be why aren't we looking to upgrade? Len Komoroski, president of the Cleveland Cavaliers, is a Duquesne graduate.

Honest question, why would you leave being the President of an NBA team to be an AD at Duquesne?  LK is already on the Duquesne Athletic Fund Board of Advisors.  That would be a significant upgrade, but that isn't going to happen unless he gets fired from the Cavs. 

I don't really care about Pitt, but they announced it.  We took the chickensh#t approach that the Pirates did with Huntingdon a few years ago.

Finally, I have not had doubts about DU being able to raise money.    I have serious doubts that the current administration can ever get us to NCAA tournament appearances in any sport.    I believe you can be good at one thing (raising money) and terrible at running a competitive D1 athletic department at the same time. 

6/12/2013 1:52 pm  #7

I had a boss who had worked for the NBA for a couple years. When he came to my company, he initiated these 1st-thing-Monday to discuss current crisis situations. The first one, I asked why he would call such meetings when we didn't have anything hot going on. He said that in the NBA, the meetings were necessary. He was there when guys were climbing into the stands to fight fans. I know the NBA has tamed some of the rodeo, but I still imagine that it isn't easy working with NBA players and agents on a daily basis.

6/12/2013 3:54 pm  #8

ElDuque wrote:

I had a boss who had worked for the NBA for a couple years. When he came to my company, he initiated these 1st-thing-Monday to discuss current crisis situations. The first one, I asked why he would call such meetings when we didn't have anything hot going on. He said that in the NBA, the meetings were necessary. He was there when guys were climbing into the stands to fight fans. I know the NBA has tamed some of the rodeo, but I still imagine that it isn't easy working with NBA players and agents on a daily basis.

I remember when the entire Boston Bruins team went into the stands at MSG, and beat the crap out of some fans.

6/12/2013 3:58 pm  #9

duqkurt wrote:

Finally, I have not had doubts about DU being able to raise money.    I have serious doubts that the current administration can ever get us to NCAA tournament appearances in any sport.    I believe you can be good at one thing (raising money) and terrible at running a competitive D1 athletic department at the same time. 

If Charlie can keep raising money, he'll be here as long as he wants. We might not like it, but to the people who count, fund raising is about 1,000 more important than the Dukes.

6/12/2013 4:26 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

Wasn't Nordenberg the name of one of the characters in the Naked Gun movies?

I think Nordberg was the character played by O.J. Simpson.

6/12/2013 4:34 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

If Charlie can keep raising money, he'll be here as long as he wants. We might not like it, but to the people who count, fund raising is about 1,000 more important than the Dukes.

Can the same be said of Amodio? Is he generating cash for the athletic program?

6/12/2013 5:58 pm  #12

ED thanks for the info on the NBA.  

General comment - I have never said CD should be replaced.  Presidents are supposed to raise money. 

ADs are supposed to run successful athletic programs.  Again one can occur exclusive of the other.  

6/12/2013 6:04 pm  #13

The only fault I have with CD is that the bar is set too low.  When Burt was hired he said something like "we expect to compete for A10 championships".  

Well just by being in the conference you are competing for the championship.  You aren't competing for the ACC or NEC championships.  How about raising the bar to "we expect to win A10 championships". 
That isn't too much to ask for in a mission statement. 

6/13/2013 4:45 pm  #14

Okay, so the answer is, no one knows if the contract of our athletic director has been renewed, Not blaming anyone but DU.

6/13/2013 7:15 pm  #15

FAM, truth is, most of us don't know. I know Amodio has an inner circle and some guys who occasionally post here (and some guys who don't post here) are privvy to the information. I also know that he angered a bunch of guys who were in that inner circle who no longer have any use for the guy. For the record, I'm NOT nor have I ever been an inner circle guy.

Before anyone gets offended, I am not trying to insult anyone. I am simply pointing out what I believe to be facts based on what some people close to the program (and some who are not so close to the program but who have knowledge have told me. And I hope I don't sound like I'm talking in tongues.

My point is this: Charlie knows, Greg knows, and the folks in the inner circle know, but no one's talking. I guess they have their reasons, but that should also tell you about the choice they made. Similarly, no one should blame me for being mistrustful of this regime.

6/14/2013 10:02 am  #16

Fair warning to trolls (Kierston H.): Stay off the board. You will be banned.

6/14/2013 10:57 am  #17

I have no particular beef with the AD other than I would like to see DU win at something; basketball would be nice; but any of the "olympic sports" would also work as a starting point. 
To be fair to the parties involved, if, as some folks assume, a deal has already been reached to extend the AD, maybe they are waiting to announce it in conjunction with another event or announcement.

6/14/2013 2:41 pm  #18

ElDuque wrote:

Thanks, ElDuque.  Two inappropriate posts were made by that party.  

6/14/2013 2:48 pm  #19

godukes1970 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Thanks, ElDuque.  Two inappropriate posts were made by that party.  

I dont even think it is a poster.  Rather some sort of robo poster.  I have actually seen that message on that was poster here on an OSU message board.

Board footera