Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2020 10:45 am  #1

Terrance Thompson

Duquesne in his final two.  More information about him in the Recruiting Section

https://twitter.com/Evan_Flood/status/1247536382374842374

Last edited by CLK (4/07/2020 10:54 am)

4/07/2020 11:07 am  #2

Re: Terrance Thompson

One thing this team may be missing in my estimation is some “nasty” or guys with some “dog” in them down in the post. Mike Hughes has it in spades but he is going into his last year. Steele also provided that last year too, having physicality and physical presence on the floor is really important to win games. I remember many instances last year where we might have gone down early but eventually wore out the other team with our depth and physicality down the stretch.

We saw it recently in guys like Ovie Soko, Chas Brown (less effective with limited talent), Dominique Mckoy to a degree, and even Darius Lewis in his last two years. It makes a big difference to be able to set the tone physically out there.

Look at Obie Toppin, Mo Allie-Cox who is now an NFL tight end, Santos-Silva, Hasahn French, Langevine etc. (big white kid Frease for Xavier back in the day, hated him.)

Harris looks like he COULD be that type of guy, but watching the brief video you can see this kid has some dog in him. Looks pretty athletic for 6’8” too. Talking trash, physical, we could use more of that after Mike is gone and I honestly don’t think it will come from anyone on the existing roster.

For the rosters SME’s, does this potentially mean two more are leaving or potentially this kid comes in instead of Harris? If that happens does one more still have to leave? Where are we with all of that?

4/07/2020 11:19 am  #3

According to the prediction folks, they have him @ 100% going to GreenBay.
We shall see.

4/07/2020 11:31 am  #4

Maybe we are just hearing about this late, perhaps the two guards took one of the spots he was considering

4/07/2020 3:21 pm  #5

Very interesting, and I agree with Duques102 I bet even if he was considering it his opportunity was lost to the the signings that occurred the other day. This guy seems like he would've been a nice player at Duquesne, and comparing him to Chad Baker I think he would have made a quicker impact. What makes me not worry about that statement too much is Baker's ceiling. I think he has potential to become a very, very good player with D1 level practice. We don't necessarily need him immediately. 

4/07/2020 3:26 pm  #6

To my above comment, I dumbly didn't even click the tweet first. It's from just 5 hours ago! He is a player I'd like to see on Duquesne... I just don't know how we have a spot for him. Interesting to see that tweet today but apparently some folks saying he's 100% going to Green Bay. Link for that? 

4/07/2020 3:46 pm  #7

How common is it for a kid to cut his list down to 2 schools? I can't remember the last time we had this situation but memory is sometimes the first to go. I wonder if it's a case of him waiting for something to open up here while keeping a back up plan.

4/07/2020 4:00 pm  #8

BluffHunter wrote:

Very interesting, and I agree with Duques102 I bet even if he was considering it his opportunity was lost to the the signings that occurred the other day. 

It's why I always refer to it as a game of musical chairs.

4/07/2020 4:33 pm  #9

duq81 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Very interesting, and I agree with Duques102 I bet even if he was considering it his opportunity was lost to the the signings that occurred the other day. 

It's why I always refer to it as a game of musical chairs.

That's an awesome way to describe it

4/07/2020 4:45 pm  #10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhGNNi2jPVk

Above is a link to his junior year highlights, that are equally impressive. Looks like he's gotten offers from Depaul and Missouri State among others. Very intrigued to see how this will unfold.

4/07/2020 5:17 pm  #11

BluffHunter, here's the link:  https://247sports.com/Player/Terrance-Thompson-46038095/

FAM, please note that the 100% is based on only one "Crystal Baller"; and that prediction was made in December.  Things could have changed.

Looking at the videos, Terrance reminds me of a 3 inches taller Marcus Weathers. Seems to have quick feet for a big guy.

4/07/2020 7:57 pm  #12

This kid looks good, would be a good get for DU.

Comparisons using Thompson as a 3 inch taller version of Marcus Weathers are premature though. Weathers is a second-team All-A10 player, tough as nails, quick and with some great moves. 

We hope that whatever influx becomes our new talent will be substantial, but Marcus will be hard to replace. Just hope it's next season, not this coming season. Let's hope there is a season this fall. Looks like it should happen.

4/07/2020 8:19 pm  #13

Applecorp definitely agree with the weathers comparison

4/08/2020 1:55 pm  #14

never know, maybe Amari Kelly takes over the Weathers position.    Kelly with Rotroff or Ellis would be a big front court.    Never know.    

4/08/2020 4:19 pm  #15

applecorps wrote:

Comparisons using Thompson as a 3 inch taller version of Marcus Weathers are premature though. Weathers is a second-team All-A10 player, tough as nails, quick and with some great moves. 

We hope that whatever influx becomes our new talent will be substantial, but Marcus will be hard to replace. Just hope it's next season, not this coming season. Let's hope there is a season this fall. Looks like it should happen.

I can see the Weathers comparisons. Now is he going to step in and be Marcus of this year right away? No. Not even Marcus himself did that. He averaged four more points, two more rebounds, and half a block more per game, plus doubled his assists and steals this year. I do see similar moves though. I also see a similar body type. He may be listed as three inches taller, but I have to question if he actually is. I also have to question the competition level. I know nothing about Wisconsin high school basketball (or AAU which most of those highlights appeared to be), but the competition looked pretty suspect. He definitely looks good against it though, and all he can do is play against the teams on his schedule.

4/08/2020 4:41 pm  #16

luckymcd wrote:

I can see the Weathers comparisons. Now is he going to step in and be Marcus of this year right away? No. Not even Marcus himself did that. He averaged four more points, two more rebounds, and half a block more per game, plus doubled his assists and steals this year. I do see similar moves though. I also see a similar body type. He may be listed as three inches taller, but I have to question if he actually is. I also have to question the competition level. I know nothing about Wisconsin high school basketball (or AAU which most of those highlights appeared to be), but the competition looked pretty suspect. He definitely looks good against it though, and all he can do is play against the teams on his schedule.

I too was a bit suspect on the 6'8 listing. Looks more around 6'5 like you said

Last edited by BluffHunter (4/08/2020 4:41 pm)

4/08/2020 6:33 pm  #17

Is there anyway him and Harris can come to Duq without guys like Ellis, Kelly, Rotroff leaving? I thought we were at our scholarship limit. I will say the bigger body would be an easier transition to division 1 basketball compared to Chad Baker. Meaning Baker looks talented but will have to put on weight to play down low. Especially, in A10 with the likes of French and Golden. But I think Thompson looks like a Weathers just needs that electric spin move.

4/08/2020 6:46 pm  #18

luckymcd wrote:

applecorps wrote:

I did say "premature", and you might have overlooked that.  Having high hopes is one thing, but expecting a recruit to get to all-conference performance in his 3rd year of college play is really wishful. Not to say that it can't happen. 

I was really just trying to remind people of what Marcus has accomplished. 

4/08/2020 6:47 pm  #19

Dukes412 wrote:

Is there anyway him and Harris can come to Duq without guys like Ellis, Kelly, Rotroff leaving? I thought we were at our scholarship limit. I will say the bigger body would be an easier transition to division 1 basketball compared to Chad Baker. Meaning Baker looks talented but will have to put on weight to play down low. Especially, in A10 with the likes of French and Golden. But I think Thompson looks like a Weathers just needs that electric spin move.

If they come, someone's leaving. We'll probably know about Harris in a week. It's important how it plays out, because there is nothing that's even close to a sure thing behind Mike, and Marcus. With Baylee gone, there will be playing time available behind those two, and competition to see who gets it. Regardless of who is here, KD will be watching to see who, if anyone, steps up as the heirs apparent. If he doesn't see it, you know KD won't hesitate to change the roster next year. He has no intention of letting the program fall back after those two graduate.

4/08/2020 10:37 pm  #20

I expect one more player to leave (look for one-- not hope, not wishing, not rooting for one more) and I do not want that player to leave.

On a totally different subject, having nothing to do with the above, I would really like to see both Harris and Thompson in a Dukes uniform next year, imagine the muscle underneath with Mike and Marcus. That said,  I'd like at least to see one of them in a Dukes uniform next season.

4/09/2020 10:20 am  #21

Dukes412 wrote:

One of the best players to walk the earth over the last 20 years is a rail thin guy, similar build to Baker.   His name is Kevin Durant.   I dont believe in the stereotypical size and weight for players.   I would love to have a guy built like Ffrench, but would love a scorer who can fly up and down the court, make 3s, drive and dunk, pass, dribble, whatever else.  Our guys make Ffrench look invisible on the court.   

Plus, it all comes down to how good these kids want to be, they all have talents, but do they have desire to play 3-4-5 years and put in the work.   

Last edited by townsonkid (4/09/2020 10:21 am)

4/09/2020 5:01 pm  #22

apluski wrote:

I expect one more player to leave (look for one-- not hope, not wishing, not rooting for one more) and I do not want that player to leave.

On a totally different subject, having nothing to do with the above, I would really like to see both Harris and Thompson in a Dukes uniform next year, imagine the muscle underneath with Mike and Marcus. That said, I'd like at least to see one of them in a Dukes uniform next season.

1878? You got me beat by more than a Century.

4/09/2020 8:45 pm  #23

ElDuque wrote:

apluski wrote:

On a totally different subject, having nothing to do with the above, I would really like to see both Harris and Thompson in a Dukes uniform next year, imagine the muscle underneath with Mike and Marcus. That said, I'd like at least to see one of them in a Dukes uniform next season.

1878? You got me beat by more than a Century.

Incredible longevity! Stay safe and enjoy many more decades.

4/10/2020 12:01 am  #24

townsonkid wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

One of the best players to walk the earth over the last 20 years is a rail thin guy, similar build to Baker.   His name is Kevin Durant.   I dont believe in the stereotypical size and weight for players.   I would love to have a guy built like Ffrench, but would love a scorer who can fly up and down the court, make 3s, drive and dunk, pass, dribble, whatever else.  Our guys make Ffrench look invisible on the court.   

Plus, it all comes down to how good these kids want to be, they all have talents, but do they have desire to play 3-4-5 years and put in the work.   

Isn't Durant 6'10" though? Makes a difference when you're skilled, and have height too. I like size, but all things being equal, I think I'd rather have highly skilled players that are an inch or two below the optimum for their position, as opposed to guys with size, but who are lacking in skill. That's kind of what we have with Mike, and Marcus. If they were both 2 inches taller, Duquesne would never have even sniffed them. We have to find players like this to be successful. I think of a guy like John Moore, who was a solid center, despite being 6'6".

4/10/2020 11:07 am  #25

Bruce Atkins looked a little shorter then his listed height to me. When they had that 6'4 and under league there were lots of guys listed above that in college that played in the league.

Board footera