Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2020 8:10 am  #26

Re: Toby Okani Commits to Duquesne

Ironduke81 wrote:

Reminds me of bob spider Wilkerson 75_76 Indiana Hoosiers team body & arm length. According to video looks very skilled. My concern is his weight. Duquesne basketball is not really known for developing a young players body into via a weight program. Looks like a solid pickup congrats to Coach Dambrot & staff. Now they waiting game involving the deduction of the current roster, player wise. Keep the core players & the Dukes will be NIT if not a NCAA team next season. Go Dukes

The complete revamp of the program just finished its third year, we may not be able to be "known" for things quite yet, but we have our results so far.

This should speak for itself https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq-yT0XBuS-/?igshid=l9jtlylyc6qa

and weathers as a freshman was pretty small https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.macreporteronline.com/uploads/1/1/8/3/11831343/buff-at-mu-marcus-1-c_orig.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.macreporteronline.com/blog/january-25th-2017&tbnid=625ysMdvB05Y_M&vet=1&docid=SUNFqluaAXlXCM&w=800&h=1160&itg=1&q=marcus+weathers+miami&hl=en-us&source=sh/x/im

4/11/2020 9:37 am  #27

Did you see the tuition n campus.  I know Cushing has financial aid but it was interesting to see the cost to say the least. I am not questioning his basketball skills but as an educator I do agree that 3 schools does point out some concerns.

4/11/2020 9:45 am  #28

I am not as concerned about three schools.  First, especially in New Jersey, kids pursue their basketball dreams by transferring to well known schools. Cushing is a prep school and gives kids that extra year to get ready. Nothing wrong with that. This is a recruit who visited in October. He really fills a need on the wing.

4/11/2020 10:08 am  #29

luckymcd wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

St. Benedicts prep is a national powerhouse in soccer, but I am less familiar with their basketball program. I know their soccer team plays an extremely competitive schedule. 

St. Benedict's is for real. It's one of the best prep programs around (think of what St. Anthony's used to be). My concern isn't the competition level he would have faced there (I didn't see any video of his time there, only the picture), it's why he left. Going from West Orange to St. Benedict's would have been a great move for a D-1 prospect. To then move onto Cushing Academy is worrisome though. Like I said in the previous post, I only know what I've read in this thread or the linked articles. So I'm not going to say it is a red flag because there could very well be a good reason. It could be a red flag though. You have to wonder why a player (or even just student in general) would attend three different high schools.

Is his time at Cushing a post-grad year?

Upgrading from West Orange to St. Benedict's, graduating from there, and doing a prep year at Cushing for physical development would make his peregrinations less worrisome.

Just a thought.

4/11/2020 10:08 am  #30

HookShot wrote:

I am not as concerned about three schools. First, especially in New Jersey, kids pursue their basketball dreams by transferring to well known schools. Cushing is a prep school and gives kids that extra year to get ready. Nothing wrong with that. This is a recruit who visited in October. He really fills a need on the wing.

Exactly right.  Okani graduated from St. Benedict's and played his post grad year at Cushing Academy.  Not sure why that would cause anyone concern over his academics.  

4/11/2020 10:26 am  #31

My thoughts, and again, not doubting his basketball skills, aren’t related to academics.  In my experience, students who were in three different schools “usually” and never always,  fell into these areas;
-Family military, job, or CEO changes (Not negative at all)
-Family Problems (Myriad of topics)
-Student Problems (Again, many topics)
Actually, academics was often seldom

I’m sure the coach knows all this and if it was to further his basketball career and it worked, I hope he leads us to the NCAA.  The next lottery question is.... who is leaving??? Or maybe none of us can add!

4/11/2020 11:03 am  #32

He played his first game at Cushing 10 or 11 games into the season,

4/11/2020 11:03 am  #33

He may not have had a choice.
Parental issues could have caused the moves.
I trust that KD and staff did their due diligence.
I welcome Toby to the team.  I hope he succeeds.

4/11/2020 11:22 am  #34

WashPaRick wrote:

He played his first game at Cushing 10 or 11 games into the season,

He broke his hand prior to the season.

https://twitter.com/TheHoopHustle/status/1222004879884988418

Last edited by CLK (4/11/2020 12:07 pm)

4/11/2020 12:50 pm  #35

More good information CLK. That does alleviate some of the concerns. I do trust Dambrot and the rest of the staff to do their due diligence. I couldn't help but think of any number of reasons (mostly, but not all bad) someone would attend three high schools.

4/11/2020 1:42 pm  #36

Will somebody please help me with the body count? Am I right that if Harris comes, there have to be 3 departures unless somebody coming is a preferred walk on, in which case 2 have to leave??

4/11/2020 2:43 pm  #37

We are at 15 so two will be doing something whatever.

4/11/2020 3:50 pm  #38

Great tweet from Jett, him and Toby played at the NCAA College Basketball Academy at uconn together. 
https://twitter.com/jettroesing23/status/1249019655798300679?s=21

4/11/2020 4:06 pm  #39

Have I presented the state of affairs correctly? Please check my work.

POINT GUARD
-Sin Jr.

COMBO GUARDS
-TDM Sr.
-Acuff Fr. SIGNED
-Mikey Fr. VERBAL

SHOOTING GUARDS
-Lamar, Jr.
-Jett Fr. SIGNED

SMALL FORWARDS
-Maceo So.
-Toby Fr. VERBAL
-Baker Fr. VERBAL

POWER FORWARDS
-Weathers Sr.
-Harris Fr. VERBAL

POWER FORWARD/CENTERS
-Rotroff Jr.
-Kelly RS So.

CENTERS
-Hughes Sr.
-Ellis "RS" So.

4/11/2020 4:18 pm  #40

the biggest current need to address on the roster is the 3 spot. To get a 6’7” guy who is a real well rounded wing is no easy feat. There were some quality schools looking at him and yeah St. Benedict’s really is an NBA factory. He looks like a strong addition and looks to have bulked up.

Excited to get him, nervous for what it means to the current roster.

4/11/2020 4:36 pm  #41

CLK wrote:

HookShot wrote:

I am not as concerned about three schools. First, especially in New Jersey, kids pursue their basketball dreams by transferring to well known schools. Cushing is a prep school and gives kids that extra year to get ready. Nothing wrong with that. This is a recruit who visited in October. He really fills a need on the wing.

Exactly right.  Okani graduated from St. Benedict's and played his post grad year at Cushing Academy.  Not sure why that would cause anyone concern over his academics.  

I'm not so sure about this CLK I think he may currently be a high school senior. Would be super crazy to have every single one of our freshman next year post-grad pickups. (not counting Harris yet) Digging into the issue of 3 schools over the course of high school I found a quote from the great link you posted with all the videos, "Imagine what he'll be able to do in a college weight room -without some jerk pushing him to play through an injured hand." Maybe that was the reason he transferred, if he is actually a post grad I would love to be proven wrong, not that I think it is a major worry either.

Last edited by BluffHunter (4/11/2020 4:38 pm)

4/11/2020 4:40 pm  #42

Duques102 wrote:

the biggest current need to address on the roster is the 3 spot. To get a 6’7” guy who is a real well rounded wing is no easy feat.

I guess this will put pressure on Maceo to step up. I would imagine that going into the summer, the biggest priority for 2021 will be a replacement for Sincere, and bigs. Mike and Marcus will be gone, and Rotroff will be a senior. If Harris doesn't come, there will be a desperate need for inside players. I'd expect a grad transfer, or JC player unless the transfer rule is changed, in which case I'd expect an underclassman transfer, preferably a 3 or 4 star caught up in a numbers game at a P5. If the P5 schools start raiding the A10/AAC/WCC level, there will in turn be P5 talent available for us to take. The coaches that do the best job of getting these guys will win games.

4/11/2020 4:48 pm  #43

BluffHunter wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Reminds me of bob spider Wilkerson 75_76 Indiana Hoosiers team body & arm length. According to video looks very skilled. My concern is his weight. Duquesne basketball is not really known for developing a young players body into via a weight program. Looks like a solid pickup congrats to Coach Dambrot & staff. Now they waiting game involving the deduction of the current roster, player wise. Keep the core players & the Dukes will be NIT if not a NCAA team next season. Go Dukes

The complete revamp of the program just finished its third year, we may not be able to be "known" for things quite yet, but we have our results so far.

This should speak for itself https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq-yT0XBuS-/?igshid=l9jtlylyc6qa

and weathers as a freshman was pretty small https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.macreporteronline.com/uploads/1/1/8/3/11831343/buff-at-mu-marcus-1-c_orig.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.macreporteronline.com/blog/january-25th-2017&tbnid=625ysMdvB05Y_M&vet=1&docid=SUNFqluaAXlXCM&w=800&h=1160&itg=1&q=marcus+weathers+miami&hl=en-us&source=sh/x/im

Bluff Hunter my friend you would agree much easier losing baby fat I.e. Mike Hughes then gaining muscle. If next year Norman & Auston have rail thin bodies Pitt will beat Duquesne come December. Again my Christmas ruined. Why, media perception, Duquesne in minor conference. Have anyone on this board watched Bobby Morris? Very physical team. . Pitt basketball is no longer a national power. Yet if they out physical the Dukes & win the City game.I believe the problem lies with the weight program & not Coach Dambrot. I hope I am wrong & would love to eat a huge plate of crow. Hope I am wrong but until I see big 5 bodies on Norman & Auston come the City game same old story. Go Dukes.

4/11/2020 4:49 pm  #44

I agree Duq81, I think the addition of Okani will be great competition for Maceo and put some real intense pressure on him. Here's some highlights to the previously mentioned uconn showcase that both Roesing and Okani attended. They were on the same team and I hope we'll look back on these highlights very fondly one day. Roesing is #55.

https://twitter.com/t_boogi1/status/1155604600533278720?s=12

Last edited by BluffHunter (4/11/2020 4:50 pm)

4/11/2020 5:06 pm  #45

kcc173 wrote:

We are at 15 so two will be doing something whatever.

Trying not to be a nudge, but counting Harris we have 6 coming in and 3 leaving. So 3 have to leave unless we didn't have 13 scholarship players on last season's roster and/or somebody coming in is a preferred walk on. If both are true, only 1 would have to leave. As far as I know, there were 13 scholarship players on this past season's roster. What am I missing?

Last edited by Westender (4/11/2020 5:09 pm)

4/11/2020 5:16 pm  #46

4 leaving
  Steele
  Buckley
  Miller
  F. Hughes

4/11/2020 5:22 pm  #47

Phil - your breakdown looks right to me for what that is worth

4/11/2020 5:37 pm  #48

duq81 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

the biggest current need to address on the roster is the 3 spot. To get a 6’7” guy who is a real well rounded wing is no easy feat.

I guess this will put pressure on Maceo to step up. I would imagine that going into the summer, the biggest priority for 2021 will be a replacement for Sincere, and bigs. Mike and Marcus will be gone, and Rotroff will be a senior. If Harris doesn't come, there will be a desperate need for inside players. I'd expect a grad transfer, or JC player unless the transfer rule is changed, in which case I'd expect an underclassman transfer, preferably a 3 or 4 star caught up in a numbers game at a P5. If the P5 schools start raiding the A10/AAC/WCC level, there will in turn be P5 talent available for us to take. The coaches that do the best job of getting these guys will win games.

These last 2 commitments have me thinking that having Maceo in a 3 way battle for the SF is a best-case scenario. If 2 current players have to go, does bringing in Toby & Baker mean what I think it may mean? I truly hope not.

4/11/2020 6:36 pm  #49

duq81 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Agree that Okani and Baker should challenge and light a fire under Maceo, I certainly don’t think he had a bad freshman year but I hope and expect to see more from him with a years experience and hopefully some added muscle.

We also need to start finding depth and future options in the front court. After Mike and Marcus are gone, who can we feel great about to reliable starters and contributors at the 4 and 5? Kelly and Rotroff? Some of the freshman? Lot of question marks right now and it will be interesting to see how it develops.

As a side note, I have heard on very good authority that there are indeed other irons in the fire on Harris, nothing final though and he is still committed. Also confirmation we are currently two over the limit. One sounds almost certain to come to light pretty soon.

4/11/2020 8:33 pm  #50

Have not read all comments but I think as regards to Maceo he was having a pretty good year at the beginning of the season until that tragedy in his family which I think affecting his performance the rest of the season

Board footera