Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2020 1:49 pm  #1

4/21/2020 2:00 pm  #2

Re: Dukes Sign Harris

Locked and loaded.   Lets go!!!

4/21/2020 2:23 pm  #3

Very happy!!! This easily looks like KD's best freshman class since he's been here.

4/21/2020 2:38 pm  #4

4/21/2020 2:38 pm  #5

So 2 must be leaving? Wonder who the 2nd one is?

4/21/2020 2:45 pm  #6

Lets go!! Really, really excited about this signing. This is huge. Offers from Georgetown and TCU and he chose us. Outstanding recruiting class.

4/21/2020 2:51 pm  #7

Harris is originally from Detroit, Michigan and is first cousins with former Michigan State great and NBA All-Star Jason Richardson.

4/21/2020 2:58 pm  #8

DuqLaw wrote:

Lets go!! Really, really excited about this signing. This is huge. Offers from Georgetown and TCU and he chose us. Outstanding recruiting class.

Harris also was offered by St Johns last June but did not include them in his final six list

4/21/2020 3:03 pm  #9

This is a nice class I hope the kids that are leaving wind up at good places where they are good fits. Probably won't be long before they show up on the transfer portal.

4/21/2020 7:07 pm  #10

Finally! Great get for us and I hope he is able to make a solid impact his first season!

4/21/2020 7:58 pm  #11

I agree with others that this is the best on "paper" recruiting class we have seen in a while - although when you count the transfers one could argue that was a hell of a class, especially with Mike H and Marcus.  KD indicated what he thought we needed even before the season was over - better shooting, toughness, length and depth.  So here is my synopsis of what I see happening - subject of course to roster adjustments:
1. At the guard position, even with Miller and Buckley leaving, it will be ultra competitive to get minutes.  SC will still most likely get his 30 (+or-) min a game at the point (a good thing), but who will emerge as the back-up so SC does not get over taxed?  I would be stunned if it weren't Acuff  as JR and MB appear to be shooting guards.  I love Acuff's all around game and length at the point.  At the 2 guard KD will have a much quicker hook if TDM or Lamar are not shooting at a decent clip or are lacking defensively.  Pragmatically speaking though, the overload at the 2 guard will most likely resolve itself by a transfer out, just on the pure number of bodies at the position. 
SF position - Mace will be stronger, improved and in a better state of mind next year.  The kid has the talent and drive, so he will be better in all facets of the game - especially after what he went through second half of last year.  That notwithstanding, when we weren't getting much out of the 3 last year KD had very few options.  Well my friends those days are over.  With Akani and Baker we now have some nice prototypical 3 guard length to push Mace for playing time.  Having watched some of the video on these two, even though video can be misleading, Akani appears to be more of a driver and Baker seems more of a shooter, although his game looks more multi-dimensional.  They both can do some of what the other does, but the vast percentage of highlights show Akani going to the hoop and Baker shooting that sweet lefty jumper.  In any event, whoever develops the quickest will be the primary relief for MA, but they will all compete for time.  You may even see Baker slide to the 2 a bit given his shooting.  Much needed talent, length and athleticism added to this position though.
3.  PF - Until Kelly starts to shake the rust off, I see Harris immediately spelling Marcus at the 4.  This kid and Acuff look like the cream of this class and in the news release by DU Coach seems to think AH will be one hell of a player.  He can work in behind Marcus and provide a nice rotation right out of the gate - especially until Kelly shakes the rust off.  As much as I like Kelly I don't see him holding off Harris, but what the hell do I know.   
3. Center - This is pretty easy, MH backed-up by Rotroff and Ellis (maybe) if Ellis can get his act together.  If Ellis can't then look for him to potentially transfer, which I hope is not the case given the amount of potential this kid has.  I think this is the year Ellis has to definitely start making a move and my God would he be a threat if he did.  As my fried The Professor has said time and again, "time will tell".

So there you have it guys, other opinions and insights are welcome.  Go Dukes. Stay safe and healthy and pray for the scientists to come up with a treatment (then vaccine) sooner rather than later!  God Bless

Pistol out  

4/21/2020 8:34 pm  #12

Pistol,
Where does your analysis take the necessary 2 additional transfers into account?

4/21/2020 11:31 pm  #13

If you mean Buckley and Miller I mentioned them in #1.  We still will have 6 guards, 3 returning (SC, LN and TDM) and 3 coming in (Acuff, JR and MB).  

4/22/2020 4:54 am  #14

Was looking for where you accounted for needed transfers. Took another look and saw mention of transfers out at the 2 and Center but maybe not. Why I was a little uncertain.

4/22/2020 6:52 am  #15

Westender wrote:

Was looking for where you accounted for needed transfers. Took another look and saw mention of transfers out at the 2 and Center but maybe not. Why I was a little uncertain.

He mentioned everyone currently on the roster, but of course, two of them aren't going to be here. We'll find out soon enough which two it will be.

4/22/2020 9:04 am  #16

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

He mentioned everyone currently on the roster, but of course, two of them aren't going to be here. We'll find out soon enough which two it will be.

What you said above is why I posted what I posted originally.

4/22/2020 11:25 am  #17

Are we not excited about getting Harris?   I would have thought a lot more posts would be up by now considering we just signed the best recruiting class I can remember.   There is a legit starting lineup here eventually.    Hope they stick around.

4/22/2020 12:10 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

Are we not excited about getting Harris?   I would have thought a lot more posts would be up by now considering we just signed the best recruiting class I can remember.   There is a legit starting lineup here eventually.    Hope they stick around.

Folks may be nervous about who is leaving. You have to keep in mind that we have a good team NOW. Because of that, down the road is nice, but it's not where our primary attention is. If KD had just gotten hired and landed this class, we'd be giddy, because the present wouldn't be offering much, but the future would. In our current situation, it's nice to see the future looking like it's in good hands, but the present is currently on the front burner, and we want to make sure that all the key parts will be returning next year.
This is the year we've been pointing towards since KD got here. We haven't been this well set up going into a season since at least Mike Rice's second year, maybe even since 70-71, when we had Jarrett, Mickey Davis, and the Nelsons returning.

4/22/2020 1:23 pm  #19

I'm really excited about this class n what this team might do next year but as has been stated you have to see these guys play at the D1 level. There have been many examples of this problem in the past. Hopefully we got a few players with a bright future

4/22/2020 2:58 pm  #20

4/22/2020 3:00 pm  #21

I am thrilled with Harris's signing & quite happy about the class in general. The coaching staff has done very well.

As Duq81 alluded to, I am very anxious to hear the other shoe drop. While I think it is extremely unlikely that the 2 departing players will consist of something awful like Hughes & Marcus moving on together, I just can't exhale & work up to my full capacity of enthusiasm for next year's squad until this critical information is announced.

I must admit that unlike nearly every previous offseason, there is not one player that I am actively wanting to move on. That is both significant progress & nerve-racking.

4/22/2020 3:51 pm  #22

Thats a nice article. Liked the comment about being the best player and person. He also talks about his psssing which was noticeable from the video clips.

4/22/2020 4:15 pm  #23

Coach Dambrot clearly has elucidated his vision to Andre, and the young man seems to be fully on board. Things are truly looking good!

4/22/2020 8:07 pm  #24

Agreed Vickroy and Applecorps, sounds like Harris is fully onboard. Seems like a great kid. Can't wait to see him banging down low for the Dukes.

4/23/2020 10:49 pm  #25

Tried to compile a few videos of Hillcrest Prep basketball that feature Andre, he's #14:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imf1ZhicW_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RiEDvBKhUI

Looks like he's #30 in this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ViJOX1P5U

Seems like Hillcrest Prep had a lot of hype coming into this season(#3 ranking, multiple games on ESPN, but they just fell short in them, and then got blown out by ISA prep in late January. It seems like after that not many high school basketball media people made many videos featuring them. I'm guessing that's about the time Harris got declared eligible to play. Would have been nice to see him compete in some of the bigger showcases Hillcrest had earlier in the season.

Board footera