Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2020 11:39 am  #26

Re: Duquesne Article on Signing Four Players

Duques102 wrote:

That said, I don’t see any of the “core” leaving at this point.

Something I think that has been under discussed for years on this board is the experience of this team. While we haven’t had many seniors in the past few years, guys like F Hughes, M Hughes, Weathers, TDM were technically all seniors last year based on when they started college. When they all first played here they were sophomores, but they were really juniors in terms of college basketball program experience. I also think this experience helped us win a lot of games down the stretch last year. We were able to grind out wins at the line and use savvy and depth to get opponents in foul trouble and outlast teams at the end. Should be even better at it next year.

The seniors have been through so much with KD and the Duquesne program. They went through last year and have seen the team progress every year since they arrived. They are coming off a 21 win “what could have been” season, and have a new state of the art arena opening this year (hopefully). It wouldn’t be much of a sell job to these guys to suggest we can compete for an A10 title next year. I think the guys that would have left from that group (F Hughes and Randall) have gone. We have seen and heard from these guys themselves how tight the remaining group is.

Additionally, I see Carry, Maceo, and now Bekelja as a type of untouchable triangle as well. Carry and Bekelja are brothers, and Maceo is like a brother to both of them as well. As long as the three are here, I don’t think any of those three go either.

The rest to me is a “read between the lines” type of situation with who is left on the roster.

Warning: everything stated about the second name is (educated) speculation.

This is why I felt it was so important to have a very successful year. With two of the three most important players being fifth year seniors next season, we needed to do well enough that it would be clear that we were within range of competing for the A10 title, as well as an at large berth. Had we finished something like 16-14, or even 17-13, it would be a big jump to go from there, to the 24 or so wins we need to reach our goals, and guys might have been tempted to look around. When you're a star player on one of the best teams in the league, why would you risk leaving?

4/23/2020 12:19 pm  #27

duq81 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

That said, I don’t see any of the “core” leaving at this point.

Something I think that has been under discussed for years on this board is the experience of this team. While we haven’t had many seniors in the past few years, guys like F Hughes, M Hughes, Weathers, TDM were technically all seniors last year based on when they started college. When they all first played here they were sophomores, but they were really juniors in terms of college basketball program experience. I also think this experience helped us win a lot of games down the stretch last year. We were able to grind out wins at the line and use savvy and depth to get opponents in foul trouble and outlast teams at the end. Should be even better at it next year.

The seniors have been through so much with KD and the Duquesne program. They went through last year and have seen the team progress every year since they arrived. They are coming off a 21 win “what could have been” season, and have a new state of the art arena opening this year (hopefully). It wouldn’t be much of a sell job to these guys to suggest we can compete for an A10 title next year. I think the guys that would have left from that group (F Hughes and Randall) have gone. We have seen and heard from these guys themselves how tight the remaining group is.

Additionally, I see Carry, Maceo, and now Bekelja as a type of untouchable triangle as well. Carry and Bekelja are brothers, and Maceo is like a brother to both of them as well. As long as the three are here, I don’t think any of those three go either.

The rest to me is a “read between the lines” type of situation with who is left on the roster.

Warning: everything stated about the second name is (educated) speculation.

This is why I felt it was so important to have a very successful year. With two of the three most important players being fifth year seniors next season, we needed to do well enough that it would be clear that we were within range of competing for the A10 title, as well as an at large berth. Had we finished something like 16-14, or even 17-13, it would be a big jump to go from there, to the 24 or so wins we need to reach our goals, and guys might have been tempted to look around. When you're a star player on one of the best teams in the league, why would you risk leaving?

Exactly. When you can be a star on a team that should be pushing for a top 25 ranking all year (we did for almost half of this year), an A10 title, and a tourney spot, is going to a power 5 with role and playing time uncertain as attractive? I would say nowhere near. To me it would then have to be an offer from a top, top program to turn heads.

Couple that with their relationship with KD, the journey they all made together, and the new arena and culmination of their efforts on the horizon, I just don’t see them going anywhere. These guys bought in way back in an office in Akron, Ohio. This coming season represents everything they have worked towards over the past 4 years (which included having to sit out an entire year).

As long as it happens, this season should have all of the expectations I listed above. To be clear, that is what I would expect in year 4 with this roster, not hope for.

4/23/2020 12:50 pm  #28

Duques102 wrote:

Couple that with their relationship with KD, the journey they all made together, and the new arena and culmination of their efforts on the horizon, I just don’t see them going anywhere. These guys bought in way back in an office in Akron, Ohio. This coming season represents everything they have worked towards over the past 4 years (which included having to sit out an entire year).

As long as it happens, this season should have all of the expectations I listed above. To be clear, that is what I would expect in year 4 with this roster, not hope for.

KD has said many times that he didn't come here just to post winning seasons, or be middle of the pack. If he didn't think that his transfer filled first class could get him to the NCAAs, he would have taken a different approach. This will be year four, and is what KD has been building towards since he got here. If this team doesn't make a serious run at an NCAA bid, no one will be more disappointed than him.

4/23/2020 5:35 pm  #29

duq81 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

KD has said many times that he didn't come here just to post winning seasons, or be middle of the pack. If he didn't think that his transfer filled first class could get him to the NCAAs, he would have taken a different approach. This will be year four, and is what KD has been building towards since he got here. If this team doesn't make a serious run at an NCAA bid, no one will be more disappointed than him.

From talking with KD, I know that he was not happy regarding the outcome of his recruiting efforts for incoming freshman (not transfers). He felt strongly that he and his staff needed to do a much better job in getting a higher percentage of freshman recruits who will strongly contribute to the program's success. This is even more important now with the potential relaxed transfer rules. He inferred that he wants 2 out of 3 freshman to meet his standard.

Over his first 3 years of recruiting, KD has not met his goal; there were way too many misses. Based on his comments in interviews, he has very high expectations for this incoming class of freshman exceeding his standard. And if they do meet those expectations, the Dukes are set up for unprecedented success in the A-10 in the coming years. It's exciting times on the Bluff for our basketball program.

4/23/2020 11:05 pm  #30

This is hilarious,
"Was given the name Jett by his father in the hope that he would develop a jet-quick release on his shot."

4/24/2020 1:08 am  #31

Coach Dambrot has to be one of the best recruiters I have seen. Getting guys like Eric Williams, Sincere, Hughes, and Weathers who were seen as lower D1 or higher level D2 players. These guys all made an impact amongst the A10. Not to mention the fact that he had an outdated gym, a program that has seen minimal success,  and outdated weightlifting facility. I always say take away the heritage of Coach K or Roy Williams and put them in the same situation. I really don’t think they could do a better job then what Coach Dambrot has done.

4/24/2020 6:09 am  #32

Well said 412; I agree

Board footera