Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/26/2013 9:44 pm  #1

I have a bad taste in my mouth

Coach Ferry told Datt he no longer has a Schollie. This is done in the end of June? How in the he-- is he supposed to find a place to play now. This is low rent, if he was going to ditch him it should have been done at the end of the season. Jerry Jones beware!

6/26/2013 9:53 pm  #2

Re: I have a bad taste in my mouth

Making room for Sheldon Jeter?

6/26/2013 9:54 pm  #3

Is there another signing in the works?

6/26/2013 9:58 pm  #4

duq81 wrote:

Making room for Sheldon Jeter?

Would give the local sportswriters a hissy fit.

6/27/2013 6:09 am  #5

Sounds like a raw deal.  Got to wonder if it is related to his academic standing?

6/27/2013 1:49 pm  #6

I feel bad for Datt. If true, I hope he's at least allowed to stick around at Duquesne and finish his degree on scholarship no matter how long it takes. I can't imagine moving to a new country / culture for my last year of high school/ a prep year and then being expected to produce high level work at a very good university the following year. If I moved to Senegal, I doubt I would be able to perform at academically by my 2nd or 3rd year there.

6/27/2013 2:00 pm  #7

Scotchngars wrote:

Coach Ferry told Datt he no longer has a Schollie. This is done in the end of June? How in the he-- is he supposed to find a place to play now. This is low rent, if he was going to ditch him it should have been done at the end of the season. Jerry Jones beware!

I don't think you are giving an accurate portrayal of the situation.  My information is that the coaches have been very patient with Datt for the last year; keeping him on scholarship in hopes that he could work out his academic issues.  He has has had numerous opportunities to get things straight.  He has apparently failed to take care of business in the classroom; so how long can he expect to remain in limbo and keep his scholarship?  
Jerry Jones has nothing to do with this situation.  Coach Ferry praised Jerry for his attitude and willingness to work toward a big senior season.

6/27/2013 2:30 pm  #8

steve19981 wrote:

I feel bad for Datt. If true, I hope he's at least allowed to stick around at Duquesne and finish his degree on scholarship no matter how long it takes. I can't imagine moving to a new country / culture for my last year of high school/ a prep year and then being expected to produce high level work at a very good university the following year. If I moved to Senegal, I doubt I would be able to perform at academically by my 2nd or 3rd year there.

Maybe he should have gone juco or D-II, I agree this is hard for a foreign basketball players.

A diehard fan since 1961

6/28/2013 7:36 am  #9

steve19981 wrote:

Your point is well-taken sir. Sometimes we expect an awful lot of these kids and we forget that they don't have a network to handle it. SI (if I remember right) did a great story on athletes from other countries that come to the U.S. and have a myriad of educational, social, religious, economic, emotional, and other issues with which to contend. If I can find it I will post it. 

As for the other discussion on this topic, I won't comment on Datt's academic status, or that of any other player. They have the right by law to their privacy.

Board footera