Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2020 12:22 pm  #2

Re: No City Game this Year

As an alumni of a Duquesne and Pitt I can say this is absolutely ridiculous. Pitt is basically doing to Duquesne what Penn State did to Pitt in football. What’s even worse is Dambrot said he’d play on their home court and Capel still doesn’t want to play DUQ. I am guessing he doesn’t want to play the game because if Pitt loses the local recruits might lose interest in the program. However, I remember Jamie Dixon embraced playing DUQ in fact I think he liked showing their superiority to the city.

5/14/2020 12:28 pm  #3

If I am Harper, I never agree to play them again, even if they come at us hat in hand, down on one knee ,begging.    Bye bye.    Capel has to be afraid.   He must have learned a lesson at Duke, losing to some small school, didnt Davidson beat them one time, with a Curry?

5/14/2020 12:40 pm  #4

I am sure Capel believes he is making the correct corporate decision for their program. I am also sure he misunderstands the fundamental nature of the Pittsburgh sports fan. If he doesn't win big & fast, he will be ridiculed for this decision for as long as he is associated with Pitt.

KD's quote is awesome. That is damn near a perfect response.

5/14/2020 12:41 pm  #5

What a shame... none of us know why Capel won't play the Dukes this year - and we can guess all we want but this is sad.  As much as I can't stand anything about Pitt, I didn't like it when PSU stopped playing them a while back.  That wasn't good either.  Also, WVU and Pitt should be playing football.  I guess it's what the coaches want, not the fans.  Go Dukes.

5/14/2020 12:57 pm  #6

Corporate greed started to get in the way of rivalries during the conference realignments. Now it’s not what the fans want it’s what is best for benefiting the program. If they were to lose to DUQ it might not just cost them some recruits but some local fans as well as media. Sadly this rivalry could be like Dayton vs OSU. OSU never wants to play Dayton just because their good enough to possibly beat them. Every local school rmu, Duq, and Pitt should be playing every year it is good for city bragging rights. But at the end of the day is it really about what the fans want

5/14/2020 2:38 pm  #7

I cant believe Pitt is doing this but this is what it is. I think the local media will tear Pitt up.Capel is cowardly.
Its a 2 mile ride on a bus to play a game that could set this city up for a real rivalry,the passion,the spirit
and Pitt backs out.

5/14/2020 3:32 pm  #8

Next season's game would have been a good match-up that would have set the stage for a true rivalry in years to come!  Sadly, Capel doesn't appear to want this to happen.  He wants guaranteed wins, in the non-conference games, since he has struggled to compete with even the lower tier of the ACC. It is clear that Capel doesn't really have any interest in being part of the premier game in the City that would have been great for local basketball.  So be it; just move on; perhaps Bob Huggins will give us another game; although WVU will be a bear next season; much tougher game than Pitt!

5/14/2020 3:39 pm  #9

Dambrot scares Capel.KD is a great coach,period.Capel knows it and Miss Heather knows it.

5/14/2020 6:09 pm  #10

stew wrote:

Dambrot scares Capel.KD is a great coach,period.Capel knows it and Miss Heather knows it.

Capel doesn't plan to be at Pitt long. He wants to get them rolling before Coach K retires, so that he can get the Duke job. Wojo hasn't set the world on fire at Marquette, so he probably feels that he has a shot if he can get Pitt rolling. He's looking to win as many ooc games as he can. No unnecessary risks, which is what we are.

5/14/2020 6:10 pm  #11

Pitt has a very comfortable relationship with the Post-Gazette and  their radio station. They will defend this gutless move. More motivation for our guys.

5/14/2020 7:57 pm  #12

Play Bobby Mo at PPG, and bill it as "The Real City Game". It's very important to now play Bobby Mo, as we will be correctly branded as hypocrites if we don't.
Capel is getting beat up pretty badly over this, even on the Pitt board, so you know it's bad.

5/14/2020 10:36 pm  #13

Play Bobby Mo.Play the city game at a neutral site.Bobby Mo has a nice program going and be fearless.
Robert Morris is not a threat to the success of Duquesne.If we happen to lose we shake hands and move on.
 They are good but we are better so do it.

5/14/2020 10:47 pm  #14

townsonkid wrote:

If I am Harper, I never agree to play them again, even if they come at us hat in hand, down on one knee ,begging.    Bye bye.    Capel has to be afraid.   He must have learned a lesson at Duke, losing to some small school, didnt Davidson beat them one time, with a Curry?

Pitt is in the ACC. They are NEVER in a million years going to be on their knees begging us to play them!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/15/2020 1:09 am  #15

This is no surprise. Duquesne is a rising mid-major. Such teams typically have difficulty scheduling games with power 5 teams and if they can get such games, they are usually on the road. For the power 5 team, the risk of a loss often is not worth the gain.  Their conference games gives them the strength of schedule to get to the dance, so they don't need to play it. Although Pitt's recruiting is at a higher level than ours, and they should win, this game is much more important to us than to them and they want to avoid the potential blemish.  Pitt has cried foul for years about how Penn State treats them in football, but in hoops, they are in the same position with us. 

5/15/2020 5:35 am  #16

Just read an ESPN article and the AD at Shitt is saying they are going to play the Dukes in 21-22 at Petersen. That's a bit of a shame as the 2020 Dukes would probably have a better shot at whuppin their can.

5/15/2020 6:40 am  #17

Exactly what I expected from Pitt.  They are dodging an experienced and successful Dukes team this year; but will play us next year after Mike Hughes and Marcus Weathers have graduated.

5/15/2020 7:10 am  #18

Wow story getting national attention. Pitt really does not look good with the casual college basketball fan both locally & nationally. Bad look Panther Nation. Go Dukes.

5/15/2020 7:16 am  #19

I'm also an alum of both.  Pitt can shove it. 

Besides, l don 't care about those rinky-dink teams. I want to play somebody with talent.

Last edited by Mulder (5/15/2020 7:16 am)

5/15/2020 8:28 am  #20

Mulder wrote:

I'm also an alum of both.  Pitt can shove it. 

Besides, l don 't care about those rinky-dink teams. I want to play somebody with talent.

LOL, I see someone remembers the old Jerome Lane quote!

5/15/2020 10:00 am  #21

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Just read an ESPN article and the AD at Shitt is saying they are going to play the Dukes in 21-22 at Petersen. That's a bit of a shame as the 2020 Dukes would probably have a better shot at whuppin their can.

Who is to say that if DU is projected to be strong in 2021-2022 -  "THEIR WORD" will be JUST AS MEANINGLESS as it was regarding the "We will resume the series in 2020-2021"  ALMOST makes me Appreciate the Football Program at State Pen -  And DU Should Play Bobby Mo EVERY YEAR -  IF they beat us THAT IS ON US!!!

5/15/2020 10:47 am  #22

So if i understand, Shitt can play Bobby mo but not the Dukes?

5/15/2020 11:17 am  #23

I agree with what Zeise  said if you’re not going to play us in basketball then screw you we are not playing Pitt in anything. Meaning those non revenue producing Olympic sports such as soccer and so on we are not interested in playing. Pitt can travel to some place in Ohio rather than playing a game down the road.

5/15/2020 11:40 am  #24

Article on this in the Tribune-Review today and Dambrots take.

5/15/2020 3:06 pm  #25

Dukes412 wrote:

I agree with what Zeise said if you’re not going to play us in basketball then screw you we are not playing Pitt in anything. Meaning those non revenue producing Olympic sports such as soccer and so on we are not interested in playing. Pitt can travel to some place in Ohio rather than playing a game down the road.

Dan Burt says no to that. Don't want to stop administering those yearly beatings .

Board footera