Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2020 11:18 am  #1

Morgan States checks the boxes for Pitt

But Duquesne doesnt.

Capel is a literal idiot.

5/22/2020 4:34 pm  #2

Re: Morgan States checks the boxes for Pitt

WEB wrote:

But Duquesne doesnt.

He got what he wants, a sure win. Capel is in a race with Wojo to succeed Coach K. Wojo hasn't done as well at Marquette as was hoped, so he sees the door as being open. He wants to get Pitt back to winning quickly to put himself in a good position. Losing to Duquesne doesn't help this.

5/22/2020 7:40 pm  #3

I don’t see Capel ever getting the Duke job.  He just isn’t the caliber of coach to be considered.

5/23/2020 9:30 am  #4

Rhode Island and Seton Hall agree to a home/home.

Nothing funny either about this. It's at the Ryan center.

Your turn Harper. Tired of excuses.  It can be done.

5/23/2020 11:38 am  #5

Why not try teams like Cincinnati or UConn for a similar home and home idea. Both teams are in a conference that’s not power 5.

5/23/2020 9:56 pm  #6

WEB wrote:

Your turn Harper. Tired of excuses. It can be done.

We're a couple of NCAA trips away from having the rep to get games like that. Dance a couple of times, and you might get your wish.

5/23/2020 10:02 pm  #7

levon1975 wrote:

I don’t see Capel ever getting the Duke job. He just isn’t the caliber of coach to be considered.

Depends on whether they want a "Duke guy" to replace K. I've always considered that a dumb approach, but many schools follow it. Bama ran their football program off a cliff by insisting that any coach had to be one of "Bear's boys". Right now, there's really no coach from K's tree that is truly a standout.

5/24/2020 8:31 am  #8

WEB wrote:

But Duquesne doesnt.

The ultimate justice will be if we are both up for a postseason bid. The committee can compare the schedules and see that they were afraid to play us, but opted for a near guarantee win instead. Meanwhile we played two tournament teams when we couldn't play the ACC team down the street. Numbers are more important, but if it's close intent comes into play with the committee. We come out of this looking much better.

WEB wrote:

In looking for information on this series I came apart multiple games in multiple sports between the schools. I can't find any connection, but there must be one. Previously the Hurley connection may have been responsible, but obviously he's not playing a part at URI anymore. Perhaps the ADs are friends or something. That's the kind of matchups we need to go after. Schools where coaches or administrators know each other, work together, or attended the schools are sometimes willing to schedule games that logic says they wouldn't. Unfortunately the only big school connection I can think of is Dambrot and Huggins. So perhaps hold out hope that they'll use that. Other than using those kind of connections it is very unusual for a small conference school to get any home games from power conference. It doesn't mean you don't try, but it doesn't happen very often.

duq81 wrote:

Depends on whether they want a "Duke guy" to replace K. I've always considered that a dumb approach, but many schools follow it. Bama ran their football program off a cliff by insisting that any coach had to be one of "Bear's boys". Right now, there's really no coach from K's tree that is truly a standout.

And Michigan football did pretty well until they stopped doing that.

5/24/2020 11:12 am  #9

If Pitt And Duquesne make the NCAA's, the selection committee may place them in the same bracket.  The committee does that once in awhile.  I think they made Ohio State play Dayton a few years ago.

5/24/2020 11:19 am  #10

luckymcd wrote:

WEB wrote:

But Duquesne doesnt.

The ultimate justice will be if we are both up for a postseason bid. The committee can compare the schedules and see that they were afraid to play us, but opted for a near guarantee win instead. Meanwhile we played two tournament teams when we couldn't play the ACC team down the street. Numbers are more important, but if it's close intent comes into play with the committee. We come out of this looking much better.

WEB wrote:

In looking for information on this series I came apart multiple games in multiple sports between the schools. I can't find any connection, but there must be one. Previously the Hurley connection may have been responsible, but obviously he's not playing a part at URI anymore. Perhaps the ADs are friends or something. That's the kind of matchups we need to go after. Schools where coaches or administrators know each other, work together, or attended the schools are sometimes willing to schedule games that logic says they wouldn't. Unfortunately the only big school connection I can think of is Dambrot and Huggins. So perhaps hold out hope that they'll use that. Other than using those kind of connections it is very unusual for a small conference school to get any home games from power conference. It doesn't mean you don't try, but it doesn't happen very often.

duq81 wrote:

And Michigan football did pretty well until they stopped doing that.

Bo was an Ohio St. guy though. Moeller and Carr weren't bad, but Hoke was terrible. Harbaugh hasn't been as good as everyone thought he would be. Maybe Michigan in 2020 isn't quite the job everyone thinks it is.

5/24/2020 11:21 am  #11

At this point though, I can't believe anyone could be dogging Harper. He's done an excellent job.

5/26/2020 8:45 am  #12

levon1975 wrote:

I don’t see Capel ever getting the Duke job. He just isn’t the caliber of coach to be considered.

I agree, Pitt might be the best he can get.   

Board footera