Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2020 9:37 pm  #51

Re: No City Game this Year

apluski wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

it was one of the talking heads on kdka said maybe Capel feels Pitt shouldnt have to play DU at PPG.   Would Duke ever play Davidson in Greensboro.   Made no sense.   Esp considering DU was willing to play at pitt.    
But Harper shouldnt let himself become Charlie Brown and heather lyke be Lucy and pull the football away every time.    Move on.   Start working on Ohio St, Penn St(wasnt a great turnout last time), WVU, Maryland, ND, Indiana, Nova, UVa.    And the game will be at PPG and they can have plenty of their own fans come to the Burgh.

I agree 1,000% (not a typo). I am sick of having spitt dictate to us and will be very upset if we allow them to do so again. To hell with q(u)itt, and they can shove their 2021 breadcrumb offer to play them-- but only on their terms (petersdumb only). Our schedule should read: #hitt, who?

Bottom line is the Dukes need to win games and make themselves relevant. 40+ years of mostly garbage is what allows this to happen. Win enough games, and it puts pressure on Pitt to make the game happen. Continue being irrelevant, and no one will care.

5/20/2020 9:42 pm  #52

scduke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

it was one of the talking heads on kdka said maybe Capel feels Pitt shouldnt have to play DU at PPG.   Would Duke ever play Davidson in Greensboro.   Made no sense.   Esp considering DU was willing to play at pitt.    
But Harper shouldnt let himself become Charlie Brown and heather lyke be Lucy and pull the football away every time.    Move on.   Start working on Ohio St, Penn St(wasnt a great turnout last time), WVU, Maryland, ND, Indiana, Nova, UVa.    And the game will be at PPG and they can have plenty of their own fans come to the Burgh.

LOL! We'd be lucky to get a game AT one of those schools you mentioned. Schools don't schedule games that don't do anything to help them, especially on the road, where they might lose. Maybe if we turn into an eastern Gonzaga, we might get a name school or two to come here.

Sad but true. In the early '70s, scuttlebutt was that Notre Dame came to play us because it wanted to impress local recruits. Now it's about bolstering the NET ranking-->NCAA tournament-->$$$ or big national TV game-->$$$. (Notice the pattern?) The money is now too big to ignore.
There are a few exceptions, mainly based on old traditions--essentially already mentioned in this thread (e. g., Philadelphia Big 5, Cincinnati-Xavier). Tradition is our argument with Pitt, but their attitude is that they don't need us unless we play in their place because they're in the Big, Bad ACC and trying to act like their bluebloods. 

Yeah, we had lot's of local talent back then. Not so much now. Didn't hurt that Duquesne was a well established winning program either. Wasn't just ND. Villanova played us every year. Maryland came in, so did Providence, a powerhouse at the time.

5/21/2020 8:05 am  #53

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

LOL! We'd be lucky to get a game AT one of those schools you mentioned. Schools don't schedule games that don't do anything to help them, especially on the road, where they might lose. Maybe if we turn into an eastern Gonzaga, we might get a name school or two to come here.

Then there is no reason to talk about OOC schedules ever again.   Whatever it is, it is.   No more crying, complaining, wanting.   Take what we get, and hope we win, be it 12 awful teams, or 12 powerhouses all on the road.
Or, just play 3-4 cupcakes before the A10 starts to get in shape.   Save legs for February and March.

5/21/2020 11:23 am  #54

5/21/2020 12:01 pm  #55

We're probably getting more positive attention from this than we did for starting 10-0 last year. Seeing Pitt get beaten up over it is a bonus.

5/26/2020 3:43 pm  #56

Mark Madden (with Tim Benz) weighs in:

I also bring up Pitt basketball’s decision to schedule Morgan State instead of Duquesne.

“Jeff Capel is a stinking coward. Heather Lyke is a stinking coward,” Madden says. “It’s one thing to not play Duquesne because you think they are beneath you. But Duquesne isn’t beneath Pitt, currently. And Morgan State is beneath Duquesne. They are yellow cowards and they are liars, too. Pitt Athletics has zero integrity whatsoever.”

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-tim-benz-discuss-superficial-steelers-cowardly-pitt-creep-vince-mcmahon/

5/26/2020 6:46 pm  #57

We have a game with Maryland already; a top Big10 team that has been aTop 10 program in recent years.  Pitt is an ACC bottom-feeder; who cares about playing them next year; or any year; we don’t need them.

5/27/2020 5:38 am  #58

levon1975 wrote:

We have a game with Maryland already; a top Big10 team that has been aTop 10 program in recent years. Pitt is an ACC bottom-feeder; who cares about playing them next year; or any year; we don’t need them.

It helps our schedule because it's a quad 2 game, which is hard for us to get without going on the road. We can be mad, but being mad doesn't help us make the dance. Maryland helps, but one game that we're likely to lose won't get us in the tournament. Pitt was a P5 opponent that we had a chance to beat, so yeah, not playing them hurts us.

5/27/2020 7:53 am  #59

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

We have a game with Maryland already; a top Big10 team that has been aTop 10 program in recent years. Pitt is an ACC bottom-feeder; who cares about playing them next year; or any year; we don’t need them.

It helps our schedule because it's a quad 2 game, which is hard for us to get without going on the road. We can be mad, but being mad doesn't help us make the dance. Maryland helps, but one game that we're likely to lose won't get us in the tournament. Pitt was a P5 opponent that we had a chance to beat, so yeah, not playing them hurts us.

I would have to agree with you duq81, this would have been a very winnable game for Duquesne. As crazy as it may sound to those outside of this circle, Duquesne was rated higher last season than Pitt, the Dukes have a stronger team coming back this year than Pitt, and don't forget, the Atlantic 10 is no slouch, like a lot of Pitt faithful assume. The way I look at it, if Pitt was playing Duquesne this time around, it would be similar to playing a program like Dayton, Rhode Island, VCU or Saint Louis, etc., etc., etc. And we all know any of those teams would beat the Panthers on any given year -- and have. They know it and the college basketball world knows it. Duquesne plays in that very same conference - the A-10. So this game that isn't going to happen against P5 program Pitt erases a real chance for Duquesne to boost its resume. We DO need Pitt on the schedule. 

5/27/2020 9:37 am  #60

Go play BYU or a team like that, that actually competes for a NCAA bid, unlike pitt, and if we win a game at BYU, its a resume booster.  Pitt might be a resume anchor, I mean, they have 10 top elite players on their roster according to their fans, but will go 16-16.

5/27/2020 1:59 pm  #61

townsonkid wrote:

Go play BYU or a team like that, that actually competes for a NCAA bid, unlike pitt, and if we win a game at BYU, its a resume booster.  Pitt might be a resume anchor, I mean, they have 10 top elite players on their roster according to their fans, but will go 16-16.

We can't go out playing a bunch of BYU types teams on the road, it would kill us. At our level, it's hard to put a schedule together. Who wants to play a dangerous team that has zero cachet? The fact that the A10/MWC challenge gave us Wyoming, the worst team in the league, ought to tell you what people think of Duquesne. We can get a P5 on the road (probably not for long), but I don't know if any decent second level conference team is willing to play us home and home. I mean, the fact that we haven't scheduled any no-brainer games like that speaks volumes. We can get home and homes with teams from the better one bid leagues, but it's really not in our interest to play too many of those, and I'm sure the league doesn't want too many such games either. We want to get scalps, not be the scalp. Doesn't leave you with too many options, which is why the league looked at going to 20 games before deciding not to. Maybe you can get some decent 2 for 1 type deals with a school like Vermont?

5/27/2020 2:17 pm  #62

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

We can't go out playing a bunch of BYU types teams on the road, it would kill us. At our level, it's hard to put a schedule together. Who wants to play a dangerous team that has zero cachet? The fact that the A10/MWC challenge gave us Wyoming, the worst team in the league, ought to tell you what people think of Duquesne. We can get a P5 on the road (probably not for long), but I don't know if any decent second level conference team is willing to play us home and home. I mean, the fact that we haven't scheduled any no-brainer games like that speaks volumes. We can get home and homes with teams from the better one bid leagues, but it's really not in our interest to play too many of those, and I'm sure the league doesn't want too many such games either. We want to get scalps, not be the scalp. Doesn't leave you with too many options, which is why the league looked at going to 20 games before deciding not to. Maybe you can get some decent 2 for 1 type deals with a school like Vermont?

I didnt say a bunch tho, BYU or someone like them.   2-3 solid teams out of 12 games, the rest can be cupcakes as far as I am concerned.

5/27/2020 2:53 pm  #63

townsonkid wrote:

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I didnt say a bunch tho, BYU or someone like them.   2-3 solid teams out of 12 games, the rest can be cupcakes as far as I am concerned.

I have to think Harper and Keith are trying. It's not easy. Right now we have Maryland on the road, and Belmont at home, I'm not sure where the Furman game is. Probably need one more, at Penn St. would be perfect. Have to avoid playing crud though. What are the best teams we can get to come here without expecting a return game? Have to have a good enough sos to avoid having to win 25-26 games to earn a bid.

5/27/2020 10:53 pm  #64

Duq81, absolutely fantastic insight as always

Board footera