Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2020 9:21 am  #1

I got the perfect venue for the Dukes this year.

Before they closed the high school down,Duquesne PA built a brand new gym about 10 years ago.This gym
is perfect for the Dukes as it seats 1,000 fans  and it has the gothic D at center court .Perfect seating  for the
Dukes.Its also the home  of Kevin Price. You could have a Kevin Price night and then Duquesne could move
Chuck Cooper classic to Mckeesport where the incident happened when Tennessee forfeited to Duquesne
because of Chuck Coopers skin color.Only thing Duquesne would have to do and this could be tricky for the 
Duquesne atheletic dept is to negotiate with the elementary school for dates to play at the gym.
 Duquesne holds a special place in my heart as I my dad grew up there. LETS GO DUQUESNE?j
  Just a perfect win-win situation for Duquesne U and Duquesne elementary school.Much needed funds for
a city trying to rebuild its economy.

6/02/2020 9:24 am  #2

Re: I got the perfect venue for the Dukes this year.

n

6/02/2020 9:31 am  #3

stew wrote:

Before they closed the high school down,Duquesne PA built a brand new gym about 10 years ago.This gym
is perfect for the Dukes as it seats 1,000 fans  and it has the gothic D at center court .Perfect seating  for the
Dukes.Its also the home  of Kevin Price. You could have a Kevin Price night and then Duquesne could move
Chuck Cooper classic to Mckeesport where the incident happened when Tennessee forfeited to Duquesne
because of Chuck Coopers skin color.Only thing Duquesne would have to do and this could be tricky for the 
Duquesne atheletic dept is to negotiate with the elementary school for dates to play at the gym.
 Duquesne holds a special place in my heart as I my dad grew up there. LETS GO DUQUESNE?j
  Just a perfect win-win situation for Duquesne U and Duquesne elementary school.Much needed funds for
a city trying to rebuild its economy.

Duquesne is far too rough of an area to have folks going out there for games. People would hesitate to come.

6/02/2020 9:39 am  #4

No. sense in playing at PPG or cavernous RMU arena.We could have a standing room only crowd for the 
Dayton game  and the crowd would be a pro Duquesne crowd  because driving into the Mon Vallley takes 
a lot of courage for folks at Dayton not used to witnessing the economic decay of  the forgotten side of
the Pittsburgh area.Come on Dave Harper,great oppurtunity to help out the Pittsburgh food bank which is really close to the Duquesne gym.. All ticket revenue could hel folks out in the Mon Valley-the forgotten
Pittsburgh,

6/02/2020 9:54 am  #5

Anybody know whatever happened to Mon Valley Catholic High School?

6/02/2020 10:09 am  #6

Bilgy wrote:

Sold by the diocese and converted into a nursing home.

6/02/2020 10:18 am  #7

I think the citizens of Duquesne could support the team because traveling out to Moon Township is
such a iong drive for the rabid fans from Duquesne U.Maybe the citizens of Duquesne Pa. would
support a team with the same nick name as the old Duquesne High Dukes -state champions of Pa.
in basketball in 1944 when dad graduated  from DHS.Anyone remember Alex Medich??

6/02/2020 10:25 am  #8

A great marriage, Duquesne Pa.offering the Dukes a home court advantage. Duquesne U being helped
by its cousins in Duke City.

6/02/2020 11:40 am  #9

Bilgy wrote:

Closed in the late 80s-early 90s, I was going to go there, then rumors began that it was closing(not enough students I think).  My cousin went there, played football and basketball.    I grew up about 5 minutes from there.    

6/02/2020 11:43 am  #10

I wouldnt be against it, like said above, RMU and LaRoche are north or west, and a decent drive for anyone in the south hills/mon valley/monroeville areas.   And if things go our way, it wont be a ton of games, hopefully just OOC games.

6/02/2020 12:27 pm  #11

Its set in stone.WE are going to Duquesne PA the home of Earl Fatha HINES born and grew up in Duquesne
,famous jazz musician often played in the clubs in the Hill district jazz clubs frequented by Bobby Layne
when he payed for the  Steelers.The infamous decison to tear down the hill killed those cluBs and worsened the plight of black folks in Pittsburgh. This bad luck or poor mismagement followed. its way up Bluff Street and warped the minds of all the priests like Nesti who essentially killed basketball for 40years
Thanks very muchto Nesti,Livingston,Satalin and of course Mr. Sexy,Brian Colleary.

6/03/2020 8:14 am  #12

Stew,
I give you credit for your creativity and enthusiasm for your home town.  Perhaps WQED should do a special on the history of The City of Duquesne!  Wasn’t there an old story about Sihugo Green’s first trip to Pittsburgh when he grabbed a cab at the bus station and asked to be taken to “Duquesne” and the cabbie  took him out to the “city”; not the University?

6/03/2020 8:58 am  #13

I love the Si Green story and when I was a kid we moved to Ohio I accidentally was playing with the radio dial and I listened to a game. I accidentally picked up KDKA and they started talking about Duquesne beating Miami Ohio 64-60.Tom Bender,Joe Tucker did the announcing and I was hooked.My grandparents still lived in Duquesne PA and I thought that Duquesne u was  located in Duquesne Pa.So  I was 10 years
old, dad was a Duquesne U grad so that was my team for the rest of my life.
 By the time my grandparents left Duquesne PA in 1968,the town was declining,lost steel jobs and it was no longer the nice blue collar town,it was the start of a nightmare that seems to be getting worse but a long
time ago Duquesne was a nice town thriving a long, long time ago.Very sad. We went shopping in Mckeesport, same thing,a sad mess of violence and mayhem.

6/03/2020 9:06 am  #14

Make no mistake i am passionate about the Dukes.There arent many things more important besides femily
and now that I am retired Iplan on getting over to Pittsburgh and supporting this team.I got my son inlaw who is a OSU alum excited about the Dukes.He wants to come over from Columbus with me because he recognizes the Dukes are fun to watch. I want a NCAA invite before I eave this broken world.

6/03/2020 9:15 am  #15

Duquesne basketball is not minor league sports.If you were a student there or are a student currently at Duquesne watch them and tell me  the truth that something good is happening and this club is relevant.
My son inlaw watches the games,no ties to Pittsburgh but he loves Dambrot and the Dukes. I am just
embarrassed by the lack of support for the team I embrace,the Duquesne Dukes.First my family,second the Dukes Nothing else really matters.I am retired.

6/03/2020 10:09 am  #16

Best thing about being retired you don't have to comb your hair, shave or take a shower. Wife takes exception to no shower. Have a great summer

6/03/2020 10:15 am  #17

When I worked for Duquesne I took two days off and decided to drive the river valleys to see what these places I heard in the WPIAL were like.  First I drove the Ohio River Valley from Pittsburgh to Midland.  The next trip was down the Monongahela River Valley to Clairton.  The cities were all alike and could be summed up in one word, "industry".

6/03/2020 10:30 am  #18

Yes steel. At one point a lot of people were making good wages working in those areas. I don't know what it's like now but I used to work in Washington County from 95 to 98 and some of those communities along the river including Donora,Monongahela and Charleroi had some medium level, to say the least,drug problems.

6/03/2020 11:40 am  #19

My parents lived in Monongahela, I grew up there, and might be moving back there soon.    Monongahela is a decent town, Donora is run down and dang near empty, but still a lot quality people there, older folks.   Charleroi is the drug spot, from what I heard.   I wont be living in any of the towns, I'll be up off the river.  :-)

6/03/2020 11:48 am  #20

Dad got fired from Homestead works in 1962 as US Steel who mismanaged and did not update techology
fired about 1500 young mid level managers and technicians.Only time I saw cry was coming home on a Saturday.We eventually ended up in another steel town in Portsmouth Ohio the home of ex Pirates ROCKY
NELSON  and AL Oliver. Half the town is on heroine laced with fentanyl these days .Sad

6/03/2020 12:08 pm  #21

Grandpa worked at Duquesne Works.On a 8th great education,was superintendant of blast furnaces
at Duquesne.Made a ton of money and was force to retire at 55 because he made too much money
and US Steel forced him out in 1960.He  earned money from meeting all the productivity bonuses.
Hardcore,lived in a 1,000 square foot apartment in Duquesne. Just crazy.US Steel paid all property
taxes for Duquesne residents,had a gym with a swimming pool at the Duquesne Public Library.Kind of like socialsim in Duquesne.A different world back then.

6/03/2020 12:33 pm  #22

stew wrote:

Dad got fired from Homestead works in 1962 as US Steel who mismanaged and did not update techology
fired about 1500 young mid level managers and technicians.Only time I saw cry was coming home on a Saturday.We eventually ended up in another steel town in Portsmouth Ohio the home of ex Pirates ROCKY
NELSON  and AL Oliver. Half the town is on heroine laced with fentanyl these days .Sad

Drugs are the worst thing that ever came down the pike. They're causing chaos pretty much worldwide. Even at Duquesne we had the scandal involving our football players who were dealing drugs, and murdered one of their "friends". To make it worse, these guys weren't from "the hood", or a "rough ethnic area" like Lawrenceville used to be, but were from Mt. Lebanon of all places. Drugs are literally everywhere. It's a disaster, and no one really has any answers. A lot of places like Charleroi have really lost their reason for existing with the exit of industry, and mostly remain due to inertia. They're really too far from Pittsburgh to serve as bedroom communities, so I really don't know if there is any solution for their woes.

6/03/2020 2:28 pm  #23

The idea of playing home games at the old Duquesne High School is as bad an idea as hiring Jim Ferry. It is embarrassing enough to play at Laroche, which virtually is a high school court, but add to that the idea of driving into the Mon Valley, Come on, people, we could be the joke of Division I.
I am certainly glad none of you is a planner for Duquesne sports.

Last edited by duq81 (6/03/2020 2:47 pm)

6/04/2020 12:30 am  #24

It really sucks going out to Duquesne PA.Too many blacks for your taste but many of players DU  recruits
come from similar communities,It does not fit your safety selfish lifestyle coming from the burbs.I know this because I live out in Hilliard Ohio,we have a few low income apartments for blacks,muslims and poor
whites.But I live over a mile from them so no problem,Reality is these poor kids from innerr city of Cbus
get a inferior education with little hope and its ok. No its not.Play the games in Duquesne and get a brief look at the hardships of life folks having the wrong skin color or maybe you realize like me that I wouldnt
lower myself to live in this disadvantaged town.God is loving and he is kind but even he must get pissedoff by Americans ,fat,arrogant and oblivious to anyone deemed different from them. Lets play the games in Duquesne Pa. and most DU people will make up a lie like I am too busy,its too far. i would still go but I am 
unafraid and its only for 2 hours long to be out in the Mon Valley.Its close to the police station and blacks
dont pay that kind of money to watch that rich white Catholic college play baskeball.
 Transport Duquesne kids into Mt Lebanon schools and hell would be raised. Every kid is entitled to a good education and a better life no matter skin color. It would mean better  lives for all to share. A fair shake at life.Mr. Harper show some courage and play the games out in Duquesne Pa.Lets show love and kindness
and meet your diasadvantaged brothers struggling and instead of a racist remark ,reach out to help and not perpetuate life as broken ,keeping in mind god is waiting on you and poised to send you to heaven or hell. How much money you have doesnt count for nothing
Its your choice to be fair open minded or leave folks in places like Duquesne hopeless. Change ,its the only chance or choice we have to improve others lives.

6/04/2020 6:37 am  #25

stew wrote:

It really sucks going out to Duquesne PA.Too many blacks for your taste but many of players DU  recruits
come from similar communities,It does not fit your safety selfish lifestyle coming from the burbs.I know this because I live out in Hilliard Ohio,we have a few low income apartments for blacks,muslims and poor
whites.But I live over a mile from them so no problem,Reality is these poor kids from innerr city of Cbus
get a inferior education with little hope and its ok. No its not.Play the games in Duquesne and get a brief look at the hardships of life folks having the wrong skin color or maybe you realize like me that I wouldnt
lower myself to live in this disadvantaged town.God is loving and he is kind but even he must get pissedoff by Americans ,fat,arrogant and oblivious to anyone deemed different from them. Lets play the games in Duquesne Pa. and most DU people will make up a lie like I am too busy,its too far. i would still go but I am 
unafraid and its only for 2 hours long to be out in the Mon Valley.Its close to the police station and blacks
dont pay that kind of money to watch that rich white Catholic college play baskeball.
 Transport Duquesne kids into Mt Lebanon schools and hell would be raised. Every kid is entitled to a good education and a better life no matter skin color. It would mean better  lives for all to share. A fair shake at life.Mr. Harper show some courage and play the games out in Duquesne Pa.Lets show love and kindness
and meet your diasadvantaged brothers struggling and instead of a racist remark ,reach out to help and not perpetuate life as broken ,keeping in mind god is waiting on you and poised to send you to heaven or hell. How much money you have doesnt count for nothing
Its your choice to be fair open minded or leave folks in places like Duquesne hopeless. Change ,its the only chance or choice we have to improve others lives.

Yikes!  This is painting a lot of very good people with a very large (uncalled- for) brush.

Board footera