Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2020 11:16 pm  #1

Bronny James

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2023

I know this is a long way off but me and another Duquesne fan were talking about our chances of landing LeBron’s son. I know it’s probably unlikely but I just saw Mikey Williams from this class potentially interested in HBCU because of family ties. Even though there are no family ties to the university, LeBron has shouted out Coach Dambrot which makes me think it’s not impossible for him to consider playing at Duquesne. It’s been proven that players can make a name for themselves in the A10 and land top 10 in the NBA draft for example Obi Topin. Also, players like Ja Morant are another example of players becoming talented within a mid major program and then being drafted. I’ve seen Duke as a favorite due to Coach K but how long before Coach K retires this could also help the Dukes shot. Depending on the state of the program Dukes could have a good shot at him. Just a fun question to think about for the future of the program

6/10/2020 12:21 am  #2

Re: Bronny James

Interested to see where this thread goes. There's some guys on this board who think we have a legit chance at landing him along with Laurel Highlands star freshman Rodney Gallagher who already has an offer from Pitt because they play on the same AAU team. Because of the praise Lebron gives Coach D I'm sure it will be something Mr. James will at least have Bronny consider but I'd say at this point it's a fun pipe dream.

6/10/2020 1:44 am  #3

Also like to add the fact that say Bronny would somehow get a bad injury during his high school career like Sincere might improve Coach Dambrot’s chances. I WOULD LIKE TO STATE I DO NOT WISH ANYTHING LIKE THIS TO OCCUR To The YOUNG MAN

6/10/2020 7:10 am  #4

Duquesne has about as good a chance of landing Bronny as I do of hitting the Powerball or Megamillions. Maybe if we win the National Championship this year we might have a prayer.

6/10/2020 8:44 am  #5

Is he going to be a one and done?   If so, there is no reason any school doesnt have a shot, and therefore, due to KD, we have a better shot than most.   He can go anywhere, play well, and be a NBA lottery pick.   IDK his game at all.   If he needs to stay in college more than 1 season, I'd say he goes to a traditional powerhouse.   I mean, look a Ja Morant, he went to a relative no-name school and was what, the 2nd pick of the draft?  Maybe he wants out of the spotlight, and Duquesne would be great for that!  :-)

6/10/2020 9:26 am  #6

Alan Iverson's brother played at URI, I think.

6/10/2020 12:28 pm  #7

townsonkid wrote:

Is he going to be a one and done?   If so, there is no reason any school doesnt have a shot, and therefore, due to KD, we have a better shot than most.   He can go anywhere, play well, and be a NBA lottery pick.   IDK his game at all.   If he needs to stay in college more than 1 season, I'd say he goes to a traditional powerhouse.   I mean, look a Ja Morant, he went to a relative no-name school and was what, the 2nd pick of the draft?  Maybe he wants out of the spotlight, and Duquesne would be great for that!  :-)

One and done is on the way out. If this kid is even close to his dad in talent, he'll go directly to the NBA. Ja Morant went to a no name school because no one wanted him. If this kid goes to college, he'll be able to pick his school, and his dad is not going to choose a school for him. No one does that these days. Let me see, Play at Duquesne, or go play for Jay Wright at Villanova?  Hmmmmm!

6/10/2020 3:28 pm  #8

Glad you can ruin our hopes, thanks debbie downer.

6/10/2020 4:02 pm  #9

townsonkid wrote:

Well, there are realistic dreams, like us making a Sweet Sixteen run, and then there's total fantasy. like Bronny James coming here. Nothing wrong with having fantasies, but it's important not to delude yourself into thinking they're real, like the monsters that lived under your bed when you were 3 years old.

6/10/2020 4:16 pm  #10

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Well, there are realistic dreams, like us making a Sweet Sixteen run, and then there's total fantasy. like Bronny James coming here. Nothing wrong with having fantasies, but it's important not to delude yourself into thinking they're real, like the monsters that lived under your bed when you were 3 years old.

It's nice that dreams are replacing the decades of nightmares. 

6/11/2020 7:06 am  #11

oh, dont worry, I still think there is a chance, slim as it may be.    And there are still monsters under my bed.  :-)

6/11/2020 8:01 am  #12

Bronny is listed at 6'2". His Mom Savannah is fairly short. Just wondering if he's done growing. Either guard position might be his future. It has to be a pretty heavy burden for a kid to follow a superstar Dad. Ken Griffey Sr. from my hometown of Donora, Pa. had a phenom in Ken Jr. That has to be the most successful Dad/Son combos in professional sports. And in a pickup baseball game way back in the early '60s, Ken Sr. struck me out. But back on topic, yeah, it's probable that he'll go to a big name school with a big name coach. If he's not ready for the NBA after his senior year, I'm sure he'll look to Dad for advice. There's always hope.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

6/11/2020 10:31 am  #13

Hey!   When I was born and we lived in Donora(early 70s)!   Moved out to Carroll twp when I was like 2 y/o.   My dad coached Sr in something back then, he was a few years older than Sr.  My dad lived in Cement City. 

6/11/2020 12:18 pm  #14

KenOTR73 wrote:

Ken Griffey Sr. from my hometown of Donora, Pa. had a phenom in Ken Jr. That has to be the most successful Dad/Son combos in professional sports. And in a pickup baseball game way back in the early '60s, Ken Sr. struck me out.

Bobby and Barry Bonds. Bobby Bonds was a significantly better player than Griffey Sr. Pre steroids, and pre injury for Griffey Jr., he and Barry were pretty close, but he really fell off after the injuries came. That said, even if you rank those two as even, (and most don't), Bobby Bonds is close to Hall Of Fame level, Griffey Sr., while a very good ballplayer, isn't.

Bobby, and Brett Hull have to be in the mix as well, both Hall Of Fame players.

Of course with Bronny, perhaps he turns out not to be the elite prospect everyone thinks he is. Then the Dukes might have a shot if the big dogs back off.

6/11/2020 2:10 pm  #15

You may recall  that Kobe was torn between going straight to the NBA after HS; or spending a year in college.  At the time he had the option.  He had chosen his father Joe "Jellybean" Bryant's alma mater LaSalle College as his destination if college was his choice.  I recall that Joe, a former NBA player himself, may have been an assistant at LaSalle at some point.  OF course we know the history; he never made it to LaSalle.

6/11/2020 3:02 pm  #16

duq81 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

Ken Griffey Sr. from my hometown of Donora, Pa. had a phenom in Ken Jr. That has to be the most successful Dad/Son combos in professional sports. And in a pickup baseball game way back in the early '60s, Ken Sr. struck me out.

Bobby and Barry Bonds. Bobby Bonds was a significantly better player than Griffey Sr. Pre steroids, and pre injury for Griffey Jr., he and Barry were pretty close, but he really fell off after the injuries came. That said, even if you rank those two as even, (and most don't), Bobby Bonds is close to Hall Of Fame level, Griffey Sr., while a very good ballplayer, isn't.

Of course with Bronny, perhaps he turns out not to be the elite prospect everyone thinks he is. Then the Dukes might have a shot if the big dogs back off.

Another father and son: Archie and Peyton (and Eli) Manning.  Archie quaterbacked a terrible football team, but made the Pro Bowl a couple times. On a competitive team, he might have had a great career.

6/11/2020 3:32 pm  #17

applecorps wrote:

duq81 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

Another father and son: Archie and Peyton (and Eli) Manning.  Archie quaterbacked a terrible football team, but made the Pro Bowl a couple times. On a competitive team, he might have had a great career.

One strange thing about the Mannings was that both Eli, and Peyton were statues in the pocket, while Archie was very athletic, which playing for those Saints teams he had to be, since he was frequently running for his life.

6/11/2020 5:35 pm  #18

If you're going to bring up the Mannings I'll bring up the Morrises.  Both Old Tom Morris and his son Young Tom Morris won The Open Championship 4 times.  Young Tom Morris died at the age of 24.

6/11/2020 7:41 pm  #19

duq81 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

duq81 wrote:

One strange thing about the Mannings was that both Eli, and Peyton were statues in the pocket, while Archie was very athletic, which playing for those Saints teams he had to be, since he was frequently running for his life.

Strange but true.  Maybe Archie would have been a pocket passer, if there had been a pocket to pass from.

Before posting about the Mannings, I read a bit about Archie's career with the Saints. Kind of amusing, but he actually was thankful to the Rams, Jack Youngblood in particular, for being careful enough to not hurt him when they repeatedly sacked him.

He set some kind of record for being sacked, even though he motored out of many other sack situations. As an old Eagles fan, this reminds me of Randall Cunningham. RC scrambled out of so many attacks, and could launch it on the run, far downfield and on the money.

Board footera