Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2020 10:30 am  #1

Bobby Mo looking to leave the NEC

Can't say I blame them. This is why they built the new gym. Looks like they're talking to both the Horizon, and the MAAC. Might make them even more dangerous. Might even raise them to a point where they could beat Pitt occasionally (Niagara is a MAAC team, and they won at Pitt 2 years ago.)

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/06/03/robert-morris-considering-options-to-leave-northeast-conference/

6/05/2020 11:22 am  #2

Re: Bobby Mo looking to leave the NEC

Yes rmu will move out of the NEC most likely and it makes a lot of sense. They had a d2 team in there last year who moved up to the NEC and would have been the number one seed in the conference tourney if it wasn’t for the NCAA. But to say they consistently would beat Pitt and be better is completely ridiculous. In terms of basketball I don’t even think they should be able to beat us but we can all thank Jim Ferry got knowing how to beat a 2-3 zone for our lousy record against them. Let’s remember the location of their campus it is basically in the middle of no where. Which is a hard sell for great players to sign or transfer there. Duq and Pitt have so much access to the city. This means more restaurants and entertainment. Where rmu is located besides on campus restaurants and entertainment there is nothing within walking distance for students. You have to drive everywhere. The city provides more job opportunities and internship opportunities. Rmu should never be competing with Pitt or Duq in sports or academics there’s just too many faults in their location in my opinion. I’m not saying that our facilities are much better but the access to the city and better conference should always surpass rmu even if they switch conferences.

6/05/2020 11:25 am  #3

Dukes412 wrote:

Yes rmu will move out of the NEC most likely and it makes a lot of sense. They had a d2 team in there last year who moved up to the NEC and would have been the number one seed in the conference tourney if it wasn’t for the NCAA. But to say they consistently would beat Pitt and be better is completely ridiculous. In terms of basketball I don’t even think they should be able to beat us but we can all thank Jim Ferry got knowing how to beat a 2-3 zone for our lousy record against them. Let’s remember the location of their campus it is basically in the middle of no where. Which is a hard sell for great players to sign or transfer there. Duq and Pitt have so much access to the city. This means more restaurants and entertainment. Where rmu is located besides on campus restaurants and entertainment there is nothing within walking distance for students. You have to drive everywhere. The city provides more job opportunities and internship opportunities. Rmu should never be competing with Pitt or Duq in sports or academics there’s just too many faults in their location in my opinion. I’m not saying that our facilities are much better but the access to the city and better conference should always surpass rmu even if they switch conferences.

Do you know the difference between occasionally, and consistently? Bobby Mo has never beaten Pitt, MAAC teams have. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Bobby Mo was beating us before Ferry got here. Ron lost to them 3 times.

6/05/2020 11:45 am  #4

duq81 wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

Do you know the difference between occasionally, and consistently? Bobby Mo has never beaten Pitt, MAAC teams have. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Bobby Mo was beating us before Ferry got here. Ron lost to them 3 times.

Maybe occasionally in terms of once every 10 years. I misread there sorry but I still don’t think Pitt would schedule them it just doesn’t interest their athletic department. I also think Pitt and Duq should never lose to rmu. They just should not be better than either but I do understand that their are more upsets in college hoops.

6/05/2020 12:32 pm  #5

If RMU moves to the MAAC or Horizon, I assume their football team
leaves the NEC.
Will that affect DU? Will DU leave the NEC in football?

6/05/2020 1:16 pm  #6

Econ69 wrote:

leaves the NEC.

I don’t have much knowledge on the football program even though I’ll catch their games but I’d say that’s very possible. The Dukes seem to be getting better every year and with the solidarity of Coach Schmitt. I am guessing that is why they are scheduling such tough nonconfrence opponents like WVU and Air Force in the future to receive revenue from these programs to build up the facilities and Rooney field. Consistently they’re at the top of the NEC for football whether it be first or second place. It might take time to adjust but overall would improve the program

6/05/2020 2:09 pm  #7

If RMU leaves for the Horizon or the MAAC, then I would expect that the Dukes/RMU will be able to finalize some sort of scheduling arrangement for men's basketball in the future.

6/05/2020 2:36 pm  #8

Dukes412 wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

leaves the NEC.

I don’t have much knowledge on the football program even though I’ll catch their games but I’d say that’s very possible. The Dukes seem to be getting better every year and with the solidarity of Coach Schmitt. I am guessing that is why they are scheduling such tough nonconfrence opponents like WVU and Air Force in the future to receive revenue from these programs to build up the facilities and Rooney field. Consistently they’re at the top of the NEC for football whether it be first or second place. It might take time to adjust but overall would improve the program

I just don't see how we could move up with such a limited home field. The campus is so landlocked. Everyone would hate to move the games off campus, but if we moved to a serious FCS league, I don't see what else we could do. Calling our home a "high school field" would be an insult to a lot of high schools.

6/05/2020 2:39 pm  #9

I think it's pretty funny that '81 thinks RMU will be able to beat Pitt, even occasionally if the move to a new league!  I think we know firsthand that if Pitt has any inkling that RMU can challenge them; they won't play them either!  Simple as that; bring on Morgan State and Central Michigan instead of Duquesne and RMU.

6/05/2020 3:07 pm  #10

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

If RMU leaves for the Horizon or the MAAC, then I would expect that the Dukes/RMU will be able to finalize some sort of scheduling arrangement for men's basketball in the future.

I have been given the impression that Dambrot would like to play RMU and plans to, just after the Williams brothers that are currently on the team graduate. Josh Williams was a freshman on Dambrot's last Akron team along with Mike and TDM. Next year will be the last year of eligibility for the brothers so hopefully we see the matchup come back in 2021. Another issue is obviously that RMU wants a home and home series and for a program in a caliber league like the A10 a home and home is not the best look for us. I'm pretty confident we will have an agreement by next year, especially for the purpose that it would make Pitt look so much worse for not playing us if we would play RMU.

Last edited by BluffHunter (6/05/2020 3:07 pm)

6/05/2020 3:11 pm  #11

I luckily got to the NEC championship game just days before all sports were shut down and even with the much improved Dambrot era squad I think it would be great game. We would dominate down low and obviously have the odds to win... but damn can that RMU team get hot and just keep banging 3s. 

6/05/2020 3:36 pm  #12

BluffHunter wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I have been given the impression that Dambrot would like to play RMU and plans to, just after the Williams brothers that are currently on the team graduate. Josh Williams was a freshman on Dambrot's last Akron team along with Mike and TDM. Next year will be the last year of eligibility for the brothers so hopefully we see the matchup come back in 2021. Another issue is obviously that RMU wants a home and home series and for a program in a caliber league like the A10 a home and home is not the best look for us. I'm pretty confident we will have an agreement by next year, especially for the purpose that it would make Pitt look so much worse for not playing us if we would play RMU.

Play the game at PPG. That solves all of the problems. I don't like using the "better league" argument, because then what do we say when it's correctly pointed out that the ACC is on a totally different level than the A10. Play both the City, and County games at PPG.
I agree that Pitt would be in no rush to play Bobby Mo, the point is though, that the level of play in both of those leagues is much higher than in the NEC. Butler made the championship game twice out of the Horizon, and Loyola made the Final Four with a roster of players mostly recruited when they were in the Horizon. Has the Horizon fallen since those two left, yes, but it hasn't fallen off of a cliff. The better teams in that league are capable on a given night, of rising up an slaying a giant, and Pitt and Duquesne aren't close to being giants. As for the MAAC, like I pointed out, Niagara came into Pittsburgh, and beat Pitt. Schools like Canisius, Niagara, and Siena can be dangerous, in a way that NEC teams generally aren't. If Bobby Mo goes to one of those leagues, and becomes one of the better teams, they will certainly, "on a goven night", be capable of springing an upset on Pitt, Duquesne, and pretty much any other non elite team out there. Did you see some of the upsets this past season during the ooc portion of the schedule? No one is saying that Bobby Mo will be regularly winning games vs top competition, just that the occasional upset would not be a shocker.

6/06/2020 11:27 am  #13

Three points related to this.

1. Duquesne drew better for their home conference ganes played at RMU than RMU did at their own building.   And their biggest games Pitt and NEC championship were not sold out.    And they drew under 1000 both tournament games prior to the finals.   In a brand new building.  And their student attendance was abysmal this year.

2. They will most likely stay in the NEC for football.  With the budget crisis that will be facing all schools, the NEC will not want to kick out a school for football.   Like they did when they kicked Monmouth out for football when they moved to the MAAC. I don’t see the appetite for the NEC kicking them out this time.

3.  There is more talk about the RMU changing conferences on this board than the RMU rivals board that consists of two posters and three posts on this topic.   I wouldn’t be surprised if both conferences said no to them.   With all their NEC bb success they still don’t have a significant fan base.

Last edited by A83 (6/06/2020 11:54 am)

6/06/2020 4:29 pm  #14

A83 wrote:

Three points related to this.

1. Duquesne drew better for their home conference ganes played at RMU than RMU did at their own building.   And their biggest games Pitt and NEC championship were not sold out.    And they drew under 1000 both tournament games prior to the finals.   In a brand new building.  And their student attendance was abysmal this year.

2. They will most likely stay in the NEC for football.  With the budget crisis that will be facing all schools, the NEC will not want to kick out a school for football.   Like they did when they kicked Monmouth out for football when they moved to the MAAC. I don’t see the appetite for the NEC kicking them out this time.

3.  There is more talk about the RMU changing conferences on this board than the RMU rivals board that consists of two posters and three posts on this topic.   I wouldn’t be surprised if both conferences said no to them.   With all their NEC bb success they still don’t have a significant fan base.

Interesting. I would'nt be surprised if their coach begins looking to move elsewhere if the school does'nt leave the NEC.

6/11/2020 6:48 pm  #15

RMU to Horizon for basketball. Big South for football.
Per Alan Saunders.
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/06/11/robert-morris-to-join-horizon-league-in-most-sports/

6/12/2020 10:34 am  #16

Why would Duq or RMU want to play at PPG compared to their new state of the art arenas made for bball?   There wont be more than 4K for either place.    Maybe, some day there is a real rivalry there, and then move it, but for the next few years at least, if they play, play home and home.

6/12/2020 2:44 pm  #17

Good for RMU, they go from being the one bid league #16 patsy for Kentucky, to probably being the one bid #14 seed for Xavier

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/12/2020 3:10 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

Why would Duq or RMU want to play at PPG compared to their new state of the art arenas made for bball?   There wont be more than 4K for either place.    Maybe, some day there is a real rivalry there, and then move it, but for the next few years at least, if they play, play home and home.

Simple, because if KD doesn't want to go play at Bobby Mo, we either play at PPG, or we shut the hell up about Pitt. This is the same way I feel about Pitt with regard to Penn St. If they won't play the Dukes, I never want to hear them complain about Penn St. again.

6/12/2020 4:10 pm  #19

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Good for RMU, they go from being the one bid league #16 patsy for Kentucky, to probably being the one bid #14 seed for Xavier

The further you go, the more fun it is. 14 seeds have beaten 3 seeds 21 times. 16 seeds have of course, won once. I think Bobby Mo would take those odds.

6/13/2020 12:27 pm  #20

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

The further you go, the more fun it is. 14 seeds have beaten 3 seeds 21 times. 16 seeds have of course, won once. I think Bobby Mo would take those odds.

That's what I am saying, good for them to make the move. doesn't hurt to have another team around here that is not at the very bottom

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/13/2020 3:34 pm  #21

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

That's what I am saying, good for them to make the move. doesn't hurt to have another team around here that is not at the very bottom

Yeah, I think it lifts them from low major, to legit mid major. Still well below the A10 level. Horrors to think that we were once in that league, and could have very well gotten stuck there, no thanks to the worst AD ever. Thank you A10 for being willing to take us back after such a dreadful mistake.

6/14/2020 1:19 am  #22

duq81 wrote:

Yeah, I think it lifts them from low major, to legit mid major. Still well below the A10 level. Horrors to think that we were once in that league, and could have very well gotten stuck there, no thanks to the worst AD ever. Thank you A10 for being willing to take us back after such a dreadful mistake.

That league is a lot different now than it was then. Don't forget Xavier, Evansville, Dayton and Butler were in that league at the time.   Now it looks like a collection of castoff "urban" schools with no real academic reputation. Wonder how suburban commuter school RMU will fit in here.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/15/2020 7:52 am  #23

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Simple, because if KD doesn't want to go play at Bobby Mo, we either play at PPG, or we shut the hell up about Pitt. This is the same way I feel about Pitt with regard to Penn St. If they won't play the Dukes, I never want to hear them complain about Penn St. again.

And thats the dumbest reason of all, and why I brought it up, all these local schools need to take a step back and stop thinking they are kings, they arent, and bball in pittsburgh struggles to begin with, my alienate their own fans not playing other locals?   But again, and my main point, why would EITHER school want to play off campus?  Why are you building new arenas, in order to go play at a 75% empty hockey hole?   Neither team getting 4000 fans.   

Last edited by townsonkid (6/15/2020 11:46 am)

6/15/2020 10:50 am  #24

"Good for RMU, they go from being the one bid league #16 patsy for Kentucky"   One time RMU beat Kentucky!

6/15/2020 10:59 am  #25

Bilgy wrote:

"Good for RMU, they go from being the one bid league #16 patsy for Kentucky"   One time RMU beat Kentucky!

It sure makes a difference when you can get those teams on your home floor. They know this, which is why they won't play these games.

Board footera