Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2020 8:11 am  #1

How Might Pressure Affect Recruiting

I read on PSN that:
"Pitt’s [basketball] class will finish ranked No. 16 overall by Rivals, a huge jump after finishing 40th in 2019." A pretty remarkable jump in one year. I guess it was just hard work

In a totally disconnected, garbled and disjointed topic--I mean absolutely no association, what-so-ever, to the above subject... I watched the 1994 movie, "Blue Chips" last night. A quick overview for those who may not remember, or not seen, this film:

The head basketball coach at a large University finishes the season with an unacceptable 15 and 16 record. Under alumnus pressure, the head coach ok's the buying of 3 top recruits for the upcoming season. Recruit 1's (played by Penny Hardaway) mom gets a primo job and office and a very nice suburban house; Recruit #2 (Shaq O'Neil) gets a fully loaded Lexus and 6'8" all-everything Indiana wiz-kid (forget who played the part) gets 30,000 large in a school gymbag while his dad gets a top of the line farm tractor (they live in Indiana, don't forget)

To make long, short: this recruiting class leads the team to beat Bobby Knight's #1 ranked club in the season opener. What money can buy! The head coach (morally challenged) resigns and coaches basketball at "I-Just-Couldn't-Live-With-Cheating"  high school.
I guess the film message has to do with desperate means and desperate measures, or... spend wisely when improving your recruiting.

6/14/2020 1:57 pm  #2

Re: How Might Pressure Affect Recruiting

I can't worry about Pitt. They're an ACC school, with a head coach that has lot's of contacts from his days at Duke. He's supposed to recruit well. We just need to rank highly among A10 schools.

6/14/2020 8:06 pm  #3

duq81 wrote:

I can't worry about Pitt. They're an ACC school, with a head coach that has lot's of contacts from his days at Duke. He's supposed to recruit well. We just need to rank highly among A10 schools.

I do not worry about Spitt and neither should you or anyone on this board need to worry about the Armpitt. The success of Duquesne this year in the A10 is of the upmost attention of posters on the board—this point is a given. Since Little Bobby Morris and S*itt are occasional topics of discussion I perceive no harm in mentioning a rather remarkable(?) recruiting feat by our neighbors as was reported by PSN--another occasional board subject.

The fact that our untrustworthy adversaries belong to the ACC and that their coach has many [recruiting] contacts and, therefore, should wonderfully recruit has no relevance to this topic. Was not Rick Pitino head coach of the ACC conference Louisville Cardinals? And was not good ole Ricky in possession of lots of recruiting contacts? He, too, was expected to do well in luring recruits. Or, how ‘bout our man Bill Sells of the Big 12 Kansas Jayhawks. Big 12--not the ACC but not chopped liver. Bill had himself lots of contacts—maybe a bit too many if you catch my drift. Big Bill was certainly counted-on to bring in flocks of talent, so what’s to look at? Appears that they have the same attributes as Mr Goody up at the snakepitt. Only difference is that Ricky and Bill were NCAA winners and members of the Hall of Fame.

I’ll bet that no one looked twice at them bringing in a top 20 bb recruiting class either. That is until someone looked. That brings me back to the original point in my last post.

6/14/2020 9:25 pm  #4

Pitt has no basketball tradition whatsoever until they got tired of losing; and gave Roy Chipman a free hand to over pay for recruits. They paid an inflated price to get Charley Smith, Demetrius Gore and Jerome Lane. Three players that would never have considered Pitt without payoffs. Pitt suddenly had players; they won games, the NCAA took notice! They investigated and Chipman had to be let go or Putt was getting hit with major penalties. Chipman never coached again. Pitt suddenly had a basketball team and players knew they could get paid.
The climate now is much more tolerant of college coaches who pay for the most talented players. It will be interesting to see if Kansas, Arizona, Louisville, NC State are penalized significantly for their recent involvement in paying players and being recorded discussing the payments. History has shown that in the NCAA the benefits of cheating far exceed the harm done by penalties. If you are a big winner such as Kansas, Arizona, Duke, or Kentucky you get a free pass to cheat as needed to win! Is Pitt paying to raise the level of their recruiting? I don’t know; but it seems to be the path to move from a loser to a winner in the NCAA.

Last edited by levon1975 (6/15/2020 3:14 pm)

6/14/2020 9:30 pm  #5

apluski wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I do not worry about Spitt and neither should you or anyone on this board need to worry about the Armpitt. The success of Duquesne this year in the A10 is of the upmost attention of posters on the board—this point is a given. Since Little Bobby Morris and S*itt are occasional topics of discussion I perceive no harm in mentioning a rather remarkable(?) recruiting feat by our neighbors as was reported by PSN--another occasional board subject.

The fact that our untrustworthy adversaries belong to the ACC and that their coach has many [recruiting] contacts and, therefore, should wonderfully recruit has no relevance to this topic. Was not Rick Pitino head coach of the ACC conference Louisville Cardinals? And was not good ole Ricky in possession of lots of recruiting contacts? He, too, was expected to do well in luring recruits. Or, how ‘bout our man Bill Sells of the Big 12 Kansas Jayhawks. Big 12--not the ACC but not chopped liver. Bill had himself lots of contacts—maybe a bit too many if you catch my drift. Big Bill was certainly counted-on to bring in flocks of talent, so what’s to look at? Appears that they have the same attributes as Mr Goody up at the snakepitt. Only difference is that Ricky and Bill were NCAA winners and members of the Hall of Fame.

I’ll bet that no one looked twice at them bringing in a top 20 bb recruiting class either. That is until someone looked. That brings me back to the original point in my last post.

It strikes me as jealousy. To me it's a bad look. If Pitt gets caught cheating, rake em over the coals, but until then, I'm not worried about their recruiting. In a way, not playing them is a blessing. Too many people get so caught up in the Pitt game, that they let a loss ruin the season for them. Not playing them was the best thing that could have happened last year. Got off to a great start, without the distraction of that game. Sure it would have been nice to have them as a victim during our hot start. After all, they lost to Niagara, so you know we could have beaten them. Of course they also beat Florida St. during that same period, so I also know they could have beaten us too. Hate to have to defend Pitt, but you know people could say "how is Dambrot getting good players to Duquesne? Duquesne's been lower than the bottom of a shoe the last 50 years, and now they're getting players? Is LeBron making illegal calls to players?" See how it works! Bona fans are already accusing KD of dirty tricks, and Dukes fans don't like it. So, I'm not going to go out and do the same thing. Again, if Capel gets caught doing dirty, rip him to shreds, but until then, it just reeks of jealousy.

6/15/2020 3:56 pm  #6

I suspected you would defend Pitt; but with that aside; KD is is getting players that are clearly within reach of an Atlantic 10 program, and not suddenly hauling in 4 and 5-star talent.  His recruiting has been an improvement over what saw in many of the Ferry years, but perhaps even less heralded than some of the players that Ron brought to Duquesne.  KD has shown the ability to make marginal players better, and have them play like 4-Star recruits.  I don't think this raises eyebrows from competitors as to the use of illegal tactics.  With a few exceptions KD's  guys have been recruited by A-10 Programs or lower.  I know a few listed Big Ten offers; but the opportunity to play early in the A-10 often beats sitting in line at a larger program.  

6/15/2020 6:04 pm  #7

levon1975 wrote:

I don't think this raises eyebrows from competitors as to the use of illegal tactics.  

You obviously don't visit the A10 forum. It's nonsense, but it's there.

6/15/2020 9:35 pm  #8

It 's not if, it's when the shoe drops. People continue to do whatever they do well and do whatever they feel most comfortable.
The two current court cases involving the recruitment of Zion Williamson and Duke involve accusations including cars, money and cash. Which coach was entrusted with the task of bringing Zion to Duke? Whose name occasionally pops up in the court documents?
I believe it's the same name as the coach who was dismissed by a Midwestern University while it was under investigation for illegal recruiting practices.  And wasn't that name brought up during. the FBI's investigation into illegal recruitment practices?
Well thank goodness it is not the same name as a anyone we know who suddenly has 4 and 5 star bb players interested in playing for him  Or is it an unquenchable desire of top players from far away who have always dreamed of going to that school.
This doesn't reek of jealousy. It reeks of dishonesty. As previously noted above:
People continue to do whatever they do well and do whatever they feel most comfortable in doing. Not talking about this rot doesn't help it go away but placing a spotlight on it isn't a bad start.

6/17/2020 8:46 am  #9

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

I don't think this raises eyebrows from competitors as to the use of illegal tactics.  

You obviously don't visit the A10 forum. It's nonsense, but it's there.

Speaking of which, has there been any updates on how this years roster is going to work out with all the players and only 13 scholarship spots?
I only see Hima listed as a verbal, and not signed.   He had a lot of A10 offers, so I could see where those schools fans would be questioning KD and his tactics, but if its legal, its fine, and those teams have probably done similar things themselves.

6/17/2020 10:13 am  #10

apluski wrote:

It 's not if, it's when the shoe drops. People continue to do whatever they do well and do whatever they feel most comfortable.
The two current court cases involving the recruitment of Zion Williamson and Duke involve accusations including cars, money and cash. Which coach was entrusted with the task of bringing Zion to Duke? Whose name occasionally pops up in the court documents?
I believe it's the same name as the coach who was dismissed by a Midwestern University while it was under investigation for illegal recruiting practices. And wasn't that name brought up during. the FBI's investigation into illegal recruitment practices?
Well thank goodness it is not the same name as a anyone we know who suddenly has 4 and 5 star bb players interested in playing for him Or is it an unquenchable desire of top players from far away who have always dreamed of going to that school.
This doesn't reek of jealousy. It reeks of dishonesty. As previously noted above:
People continue to do whatever they do well and do whatever they feel most comfortable in doing. Not talking about this rot doesn't help it go away but placing a spotlight on it isn't a bad start.

Well said apluski!

Board footera