Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2020 4:31 pm  #2

Re: Ellis to transfer?

Extremely sad. I hope he finds a great landing spot where he can prove to himself how strong he can be in all aspects of his life. In his limited floor time this season he seriously impressed me.

6/25/2020 4:32 pm  #3

Finally a shoe drops.

6/25/2020 4:35 pm  #4

duq81 wrote:

Finally a shoe drops.

but as the article states, two more to go... this is killing me man

6/25/2020 5:38 pm  #5

BluffHunter wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Finally a shoe drops.

If you listen closely to the Austin Rotroff interview posted in another thread there is a point in the interview where it is mentioned that we lose "our 6th man who is a graduate transfer" . I think we may be hearing something about this player in the next week or so. I'll leave it up to you to determine if this story has any legs or not.

6/25/2020 5:40 pm  #6

As expected, James is heading to a junior college - Tallahassee CC. Hopefully he can take advantage of what may be his last opportunity.
https://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/status/1276279415790612484
https://twitter.com/ZachSettembre/status/1276281515094179840

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (6/25/2020 5:43 pm)

6/25/2020 5:41 pm  #7

ghost wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Finally a shoe drops.

If you listen closely to the Austin Rotroff interview posted in another thread there is a point in the interview where it is mentioned that we lose "our 6th man who is a graduate transfer" . I think we may be hearing something about this player in the next week or so. I'll leave it up to you to determine if this story has any legs or not.

He was referring to Baylee Steele, who was the 6th man this year.

6/25/2020 5:43 pm  #8

Who qualifies as a " graduate transfer"?

6/25/2020 5:46 pm  #9

Ellis has signed with JUCO Tallahassee C.C.

6/25/2020 5:47 pm  #10

Westender wrote:

Who qualifies as a " graduate transfer"?

Hughes, TDM, Marcus all could... but Rotroff was referring to Steele who was a grad transfer to the Dukes last season.

6/25/2020 5:53 pm  #11

It was interesting that the only two players who did not have official announcement was Kelly's cousin, and Hima,  We know that Kelly's cousin (my pardon I don't remember his name) from subsequent articles that he is a walk on.  I am just wondering if Hima may be paying his own way. 

6/25/2020 5:57 pm  #12

CLK wrote:

It was interesting that the only two players who did not have official announcement was Kelly's cousin, and Hima,  We know that Kelly's cousin (my pardon I don't remember his name) from subsequent articles that he is a walk on.  I am just wondering if Hima may be paying his own way. 

Interesting point, but I think a lot of people on this board were saying if you do any sort of recruiting they are counted as a scholarship player, right? Hima was being recruited by us as well as other A10 programs. Jaylen (JJ) Cole-Williams will be a walk on.

6/25/2020 6:04 pm  #13

BluffHunter wrote:

CLK wrote:

Interesting point, but I think a lot of people on this board were saying if you do any sort of recruiting they are counted as a scholarship player, right? Hima was being recruited by us as well as other A10 programs. Jaylen (JJ) Cole-Williams will be a walk on.

I never saw prior to his commitment that DU ever offered him a scholarship, or ever visited, or ever gave any indication that DU was scouting or looking at him.  He just appeared one day as having DU on his list.  Who knows, it could be that he approached KD after UMass backed out.  I am just speculating here, no inside knowledge.

6/25/2020 6:05 pm  #14

Interestingly enough, Tallahassee CC had a freshman guard last season El Ellis average 15 points a game last season and he has recently gotten picked up by Louisville! Sounds like the team had an extremely successful season last year. 

6/25/2020 6:06 pm  #15

CLK wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

CLK wrote:

I never saw prior to his commitment that DU ever offered him a scholarship, or ever visited, or ever gave any indication that DU was scouting or looking at him.  He just appeared one day as having DU on his list.  Who knows, it could be that he approached KD after UMass backed out.  I am just speculating here, no inside knowledge.

That's a speculation I like, that would be pretty amazing hahah

6/25/2020 8:42 pm  #16

No offense but the guy is trouble and not a good role model for freshman. I saw during the bonnies game him texting on the sideline. Whether you’re sick, injured, or redshirting you should never be on your phone during a game. I never wrote about this because I did not want to trash talk the kid or tarnish his reputation. I also saw coach give it to him during the GW game for interrupting him during a timeout. He’s had multiple shots already eventually you have to move on.

6/25/2020 9:13 pm  #17

CLK wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

CLK wrote:

I'm still wondering about Sincere's brother.

6/25/2020 9:55 pm  #18

Any chance he comes back after his juco year? That would be an unique way to help with the roster numbers.

6/25/2020 9:58 pm  #19

WashPaRick wrote:

Any chance he comes back after his juco year? That would be an unique way to help with the roster numbers.

I doubt he'd come back here after this, but I'd love to see him have a great season next year and end up at some power 5 school. 

6/26/2020 8:59 am  #20

WashPaRick wrote:

Rick this is an interesting question.  Usually the reason a player transfers from D1 to JUCO is eligibility.  There are a number of requirements to transfer back to D1, including the player has to graduate from the JUCO school.  I could not find any restrictions on transferring back to the same school, but I am not a rules expert. 

6/26/2020 12:02 pm  #21

CLK wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Rick this is an interesting question.  Usually the reason a player transfers from D1 to JUCO is eligibility.  There are a number of requirements to transfer back to D1, including the player has to graduate from the JUCO school.  I could not find any restrictions on transferring back to the same school, but I am not a rules expert. 

VCU had a player that had transferred out come back as a grad transfer, but I can't remember a juco doing it. Don't see why he couldn't though.

6/26/2020 12:14 pm  #22

Tallahassee CC offers 100 and 200 level courses.
If Ellis goes for two years, he receives an AA degree
and uses up two years of eligibility which leaves him
one year as a transfer to whatever D1 school he can find.
It appears he had significant academic issues otherwise he
wouldn't go JUCO.
Too bad.  It was a bold try by KD that fell a bit short.
I wish Ellis the best and he realizes his potential.

6/26/2020 1:16 pm  #23

In terms of keeping the number of bigs of potential quality in the program, I thought Hima was an important recruit before this news. Ellis's transfer just amplifies the need for Hima or another to keep the train rolling.

Isn't DU prevented from having Hima sign & announce his signing while already having the maximum number of players on scholarship?

6/26/2020 2:14 pm  #24

Econ69 wrote:

Tallahassee CC offers 100 and 200 level courses.
If Ellis goes for two years, he receives an AA degree
and uses up two years of eligibility which leaves him
one year as a transfer to whatever D1 school he can find.
It appears he had significant academic issues otherwise he
wouldn't go JUCO.
Too bad.  It was a bold try by KD that fell a bit short.
I wish Ellis the best and he realizes his potential.

I don't think that this move to a Junior College is necessarily about grades or academic standing.  I think it has more to do with the fact that another Division 1 school would need to tie up 3 years of scholarships for 2 years of playing.  James would need to sit out next year and he would only have 2 years of eligibility left (since he burnt his redshirt year when he sat out).

Schools don't want to make that kind of roster spot investment on an unproven player; there is no college game tape for James.  He can go to Tallahassee, play some fairly high level basketball and show what he can do.  Then, he get a scholarship and enroll at a D-1 school without having to sit out a year, become immediately eligible and still have 2 years of eligibility left.

Only players that are proven college basketball players get that opportunity for 3 years scholarship for 2 playing - see Eric Williams.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (6/26/2020 2:16 pm)

6/30/2020 7:57 am  #25

If Hima is on a scholarship, then 2 of these have to go, if he isnt, then 1....
pick your poison
Tavian Dunn-MartinMarcus WeathersMichael HughesLamar Norman Jr.Austin RotroffSincere CarryAmari KellyMaceo Austin

Board footera