Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2020 4:58 pm  #1

Rothstein's A-10 Preseason Preview

No real love thrown at the Dukes; projected 5th place finish with no player mentions.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1292923918580424707

8/10/2020 9:17 pm  #2

Re: Rothstein's A-10 Preseason Preview

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

No real love thrown at the Dukes; projected 5th place finish with no player mentions.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1292923918580424707

No real surprise. All of the top teams except Dayton are pretty much returning intact, so I can really see the top 5 finishing in pretty much any order, but I see UMass as having the best chance of the other teams to push into the top 5. College Sports Madness is up to 94 in their list of the top 144 teams, and there are still 6 A10 teams to be named, with those 6 almost certain to be the 5 favorites, plus UMass. As long as they don't have us somewhere crazy, like 7th or 8th, I won't get too worked up about any predictions.

8/11/2020 9:03 am  #3

I'm sure some of you have the previous years pre-season rankings, but I would guess that being picked 5th, is higher than we have been forecasted in a number of years.  As we have folks coming back so does everyone else.  This sounds about right.  Go Dukes.

8/11/2020 11:52 am  #4

FAM wrote:

I'm sure some of you have the previous years pre-season rankings, but I would guess that being picked 5th, is higher than we have been forecasted in a number of years.  As we have folks coming back so does everyone else.  This sounds about right.  Go Dukes.

Yep! We're certainly capable of beating any of those 4 teams listed in front of us, but they're all capable of beating us as well. Most important thing is to win our games in Pittsburgh, and to avoid games like last year's GW loss.

8/11/2020 12:04 pm  #5

To piggyback on this thread, somebody released a top 50 players in the A10 list yesterday with pretty in depth info on each player. Of course, I disagree with where certain Duquesne players are ranked, but still a good read.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/08/10/atlantic-10-basketball-ranking-top-50-returning-players-2020-21-season/

8/11/2020 3:19 pm  #6

I love it. We've come a long way. Just a few short years ago, we over the moon when someone slottted us at 7th or 8th in a preseason profile. And now it's like "Fifth Place?  We get no respect, I tell ya!  (My wife wanted to make love in the backseat of the car, and she wanted me to drive.  )

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/11/2020 4:56 pm  #7

BluffHunter wrote:

To piggyback on this thread, somebody released a top 50 players in the A10 list yesterday with pretty in depth info on each player. Of course, I disagree with where certain Duquesne players are ranked, but still a good read.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/08/10/atlantic-10-basketball-ranking-top-50-returning-players-2020-21-season/

3 players in the top 17, not too shabby.

8/11/2020 6:44 pm  #8

WashPaRick wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

3 players in the top 17, not too shabby.

I agree. The Dukes are well regarded, not because they have a super stud player leading them, but because they have 3 very solid guys to lean on, all going into their third season as a starter. That kind of depth wins for you, unless you're Scott Edgar.

8/12/2020 8:35 am  #9

Have to say that after reviewing that one comment I have is that sincere carry more than held his own against Kyle Lofton, especially in the second game against Saint Bonaventure. The only thing holding him back is consistency.

8/12/2020 1:11 pm  #10

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Have to say that after reviewing that one comment I have is that sincere carry more than held his own against Kyle Lofton, especially in the second game against Saint Bonaventure. The only thing holding him back is consistency.

I think it is worth noting that Lofton got hurt in the second half of that second game causing him to be in & out of the lineup a bit. 

You are correct though. The only real seperator between these 2 is that Lofton is more consistent & a much better FT shooter. While Lofton is only a few months older than Sin, his prep year probably has something to do with this.

With incremental improvement in  his shooting stats & teammates that shoot a better percentage from 3, Sin could take over as the better player.

8/12/2020 2:57 pm  #11

Phil i will point out Lofton played 40 minutes, Carry 42.Carry outscored n had more assists. I'm taking my guy.

Board footera