Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2020 6:27 am  #1

Fall Athletes Granted Extra Year of Eligibility are WinterSports next

According to Brett McMurphy all fall athletes on rosters will be granted an extra year of eligibility whether they are freshmen or seniors. If this happens To winter sports like basketball it would be huge for Duquesne allowing all the seniors another year to play. If this was the case I do not think any would go pro and there would be even more team chemistry next year. That is a big if but what are the chances of this happening?

Last edited by Dukes412 (8/22/2020 6:29 am)

8/22/2020 8:25 am  #2

Re: Fall Athletes Granted Extra Year of Eligibility are WinterSports next

This will have the biggest effect on current high school seniors, who will see their path to playing time blocked by this year's freshmen. There will be transfers galore over the next 4 years, as players try to find places where they'll be able to see the floor.

8/22/2020 8:38 am  #3

Dukes412, It greatly saddens me to write that I foresee the chances of winter sports getting the same new eligibility rules as fall sports as excellent, if not inevitable
This being on the down slope side of August I just don't see this pandemic going away within the next four to five months.

I pray that I am wrong and this cursed virus wears it's self out--today or tommow would be welcomed.The retention of seniors and all other bb roster players could be a tremendous boost for our Dukes but the underlying cause for it's use is too sad, too high a price. In a perfect world there would be no epidemic and the eligibility rule would be in effect just because the NCAA is a swell bunch of people which care more about athletics than money.

I have lost family and friends to this monsterous plague so please excuse me for not being more upbeat about increased eligibility and its benefits for our team. Unfortunately, I feel it is more than likely that we will see this new policy on eligibility take place for winter sports. God bless us all.

8/22/2020 9:54 am  #4

You go on TV or a website and one person sounds optimistic, then another contradicts him.  I've seen hope and despair on the same website.  Now I hear the vaccine will only be 50% effective, yet the journalists do not follow up with just what that means.  I finally am resolved that the pandemic will be over when the virus says it is.

8/22/2020 1:10 pm  #5

Bilgy wrote:

You go on TV or a website and one person sounds optimistic, then another contradicts him.  I've seen hope and despair on the same website.  Now I hear the vaccine will only be 50% effective, yet the journalists do not follow up with just what that means.  I finally am resolved that the pandemic will be over when the virus says it is.

Words of wisdom

8/22/2020 9:22 pm  #6

I want to state that I’d rather there be no pandemic at all and our seniors graduate on time. Just trying to take some positives but anyone who lost loved ones that’s far bigger than a game. My prayers for those battling and affected by this cruel virus

8/22/2020 10:05 pm  #7

So many state that they're afraid to take any vaccine that comes along. I'm more afraid of catching the virus. If there are no setbacks, I expect something will be approved by the end of the year. Provided there are no major side effects, the big questions will be; what level of protection can most expect, and how long lasting will it be? If it's highly effective, and long lasting, I'm going to take it, and go back to my normal life. If the anti-vaxxers want to take the risk, that will be on them. it gets more complicated if the vaccine is only partially effective like flu vaccines. I believe flu vaccines are around 40% effective on average. Additionally, there tends to also be a substantial number of people who are partially protected. They still catch the flu, but they don't get very sick. Also, it seems like even when the first vaccine is approved, they'll keep working on the other candidates, in the hope that one of them will be even more effective.

8/24/2020 1:32 pm  #8

Lots of things will happen b/w now and start of hoops season related to this virus.   Sooner or later, even here in America, it has to take a turn for the better.   Fingers crossed.

8/29/2020 6:25 am  #9

i assume if high school sports are going ahead then all hands on recruitment!

if there is another class coming in next year everyone is going to have a giant roster.

Board footera