Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2020 8:01 am  #1

Roster updated finally(correctly this time?)

8/17/2020 10:33 am  #2

Re: Roster updated finally(correctly this time?)

Looks good.  Only things I was unaware of were addition of Buono and departure of Harper but perhaps I am behind the times getting updates

8/17/2020 12:52 pm  #3

I like the roster; nice blend of experience and youth; plenty of size at various stages of development; New options at guard and forward hopefully improve our 3-point accuracy which will really open things up for Marcus, Mike and others in and around the paint.  We need one or two of the younger bigs to really take steps to seize Steele’s playing time. 
Looks like some minutes at the guard spots behind the starters will also be up for grabs.  Should be some highly spirited competition in the practice gym!

8/17/2020 2:05 pm  #4

A special thanks to the athletic department for their response. I look forward to the time you can place photos with the roster.

8/17/2020 3:29 pm  #5

I think Rotoff should step up, he seems likely to fill Steele's role.  Kelly is a wildcard, havent seen him in action for a long time.  The 2 freshman, I wont put expectations on them, not yet anyway.   Its nice having options and depth at the 4 and 5.

8/17/2020 7:21 pm  #6

apluski wrote:

A special thanks to the athletic department for their response. I look forward to the time you can place photos with the roster.

I am certainly not criticizing APluski's post in any way. I am calling out the university's athletic department.

I am tired of the garbage information & gamesmanship on the website. This has gone on for 3+ years. Who is on scholarship & who isn't?

I follow 2 other NCAA programs very closely. Neither one of them has EVER taken this approach to public relations. When eligibility is in question, they professionally & diplomatically announce that concrete information isn't available. No player ever makes it through more than a month or so (let alone an entire season) on the published roster without having their status addressed.

Not having the student-athlete pictures on your website is inexcusible in 2020. Clearly, the athletic department is still not ready for prime time.

There are just not that many die-hard Dukes fans. Give us a break, cut the crap, & please make it easier to be a fan.

8/17/2020 9:46 pm  #7

Duquesne is still lackadaisical toward their small fan base.Dambrot can only grow this program so much,
he isn't getting much help.The poor attendance limits Dambrots recruiting efforts.He has done a amazing
job here to improve this program but better attendance is vital to move a step forward.Athletic Dept needs
energized and get passionate about the new field house.I shouldn't have to ask for pictures of the Coop
but you got ask .Somebody posts 3 images and that it.Same old Duquesne.Pathetic.

8/17/2020 9:56 pm  #8

Duquesne athletic dept lacks energy.Harper is good, but there is a lack of energy in sports information,
and ticket sales.Needed is some new energy to ensure a better future for whoever coaches the Dukes
and supports our athletes who work hard

8/17/2020 10:35 pm  #9

phil95 wrote:

apluski wrote:

I am certainly not criticizing APluski's post in any way. I am calling out the university's athletic department.

I am tired of the garbage information & gamesmanship on the website. This has gone on for 3+ years. Who is on scholarship & who isn't?

I follow 2 other NCAA programs very closely. Neither one of them has EVER taken this approach to public relations. When eligibility is in question, they professionally & diplomatically announce that concrete information isn't available. No player ever makes it through more than a month or so (let alone an entire season) on the published roster without having their status addressed.

Not having the student-athlete pictures on your website is inexcusible in 2020. Clearly, the athletic department is still not ready for prime time.

There are just not that many die-hard Dukes fans. Give us a break, cut the crap, & please make it easier to be a fan.

There is plenty to bash the athletic department about, but I'm not sure the nonsense with the roster isn't coming from the coach. If the coach is playing games with the roster, there's not a whole lot the folks in the athletic department can do. This has become a yearly thing, and even though there is probably a good explanation for it, it hasn't been forthcoming, so it looks shady. I can only imagine the snide comments on this board if Dayton, or Bona was doing this, let alone Pitt.

8/18/2020 12:06 pm  #10

17 player names takes time to put into a web page.

Last edited by townsonkid (8/18/2020 12:06 pm)

8/20/2020 7:46 pm  #11

It's great to have an official roster, but did we ever get any answers about scholarships? It seems to me we are not one, but two over the limit. We have 17 guys on the roster. Buono and Cole-Williams are walk-ons. How are we getting down to the limit of 13?

8/21/2020 5:42 am  #12

The woman also have 17 on their roster.
I am guessing that both teams have 4 walkons as a hedge because of the  virus.
I read that coaches are reluctant to say who is a walkon concerned that
player may be poached by another coach who could offer a full scholarship.

8/21/2020 5:45 am  #13

It’s really not anyone’s business on this board!  I don’t believe there is any requirement that these types of things need to be “public knowledge”.  The people that need to know will know.

8/21/2020 6:30 am  #14

Econ69 wrote:

The woman also have 17 on their roster.
I am guessing that both teams have 4 walkons as a hedge because of the  virus.
I read that coaches are reluctant to say who is a walkon concerned that
player may be poached by another coach who could offer a full scholarship.

The women's roster limit is 15, so they have 2 walk-ons.

8/21/2020 9:33 am  #15

levon1975 wrote:

It’s really not anyone’s business on this board! I don’t believe there is any requirement that these types of things need to be “public knowledge”. The people that need to know will know.

I would agree it doesn't have to be public knowledge. In my experience its usually pretty evident. After doing some further digging I found one additional player who is on the roster, but not listed as having signed anything official. Still that leaves 14 players who even the official Duquesne page list as having signed. I won't go any further on it in such a public forum except to add two things. If anyone wants to see the info I'd be happy to share it privately. I hope we are doing things the right way. Dambrot certainly isn't perfect, but I've been very pleased with the program since he took over. I hope that doesn't change.

8/21/2020 4:37 pm  #16

I believe Levon1975 and Luckymed make some goods points in regards to a right-to-know belief regarding the mens bb team. Also, I am surprised at what Luckymed's research disclosed--providing it is similar to what I know. Nice detective work if it is akin to what I know.
Check out the PSN article dealing with increased eligibility rules. It certainly will impact college basketball.

8/21/2020 7:55 pm  #17

I don't think the increased eligibility helps us at all apulski. For starters, it is being applied to fall sports. Basketball is a winter sport. Now if (when?) Covid messes up the basketball season too we can expect the rules to be extended, but at this time it is just for fall sports. Secondly, it allows scholarships to not count against the limit for players who would have used up their eligibility. So if Hughes and company come back in 2021-22 then they wouldn't count against the limit. Assuming I am reading things correctly that would be a huge deal for us, but it wouldn't help us at all this season. As I see it we have 14 guys on scholarship, and that new rule doesn't change that at all.

8/22/2020 2:14 am  #18

luckymcd wrote:

I don't think the increased eligibility helps us at all apulski. For starters, it is being applied to fall sports. Basketball is a winter sport. Now if (when?) Covid messes up the basketball season too we can expect the rules to be extended, but at this time it is just for fall sports. Secondly, it allows scholarships to not count against the limit for players who would have used up their eligibility. So if Hughes and company come back in 2021-22 then they wouldn't count against the limit. Assuming I am reading things correctly that would be a huge deal for us, but it wouldn't help us at all this season. As I see it we have 14 guys on scholarship, and that new rule doesn't change that at all.

Thank you for sharing your two observations regarding increased eligibility. I wholeheartedly agree with your points of discussion--to a degree.While you are correct in your facts, I believe they have nothing to do with my last post.

I cannot, and do not, assume credit for writing the PSN article on eligibilty, just as I cannot accept responsiability for what the article did not address.The PSN article stands on its own merits.

I believe I wrote nothing about the eligibilty of fall season sports vs winter eligibility sports. I also will point out that I wrote nothing about increased eligibility helping our basketball teams this year.

Just the same, it is very nice of you to show us the in-and-out of the NCAA's new policy. We are all the better for it, luckymcd.

8/22/2020 10:58 am  #19

apluski wrote:

Thank you for sharing your two observations regarding increased eligibility. I wholeheartedly agree with your points of discussion--to a degree.While you are correct in your facts, I believe they have nothing to do with my last post.

I cannot, and do not, assume credit for writing the PSN article on eligibilty, just as I cannot accept responsiability for what the article did not address.The PSN article stands on its own merits.

I believe I wrote nothing about the eligibilty of fall season sports vs winter eligibility sports. I also will point out that I wrote nothing about increased eligibility helping our basketball teams this year.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. You are definitely right though. If the benefits are extended to basketball as well it would have a huge impact; and we are in a position to benefit from it more than most.

8/22/2020 1:19 pm  #20

luckymcd wrote:

apluski wrote:

Sorry if I misunderstood you. You are definitely right though. If the benefits are extended to basketball as well it would have a huge impact; and we are in a position to benefit from it more than most.

No problem. We are on the same page

8/23/2020 2:09 pm  #21

I really like this roster.  I think KD and staff has worked hard to fill the holes from last year. We kept The Core, and now hopefully we will get to see the Dukes Roar.  

8/23/2020 4:20 pm  #22

CLK wrote:

I really like this roster.  I think KD and staff has worked hard to fill the holes from last year. We kept The Core, and now hopefully we will get to see the Dukes Roar.  

Expect a Cease & Desist letter from my Lawfirm Dewey Cheatem & Howe for violating my Trademark regarding “Keep The Core The Dukes Will Roar” 😂

8/23/2020 10:27 pm  #23

Ironduke81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Expect a Cease & Desist letter from my Lawfirm Dewey Cheatem & Howe for violating my Trademark regarding “Keep The Core The Dukes Will Roar” 😂

You can expect a countersuit from Lynch and Burnhum and Covet &Yermoney 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/24/2020 9:28 am  #24

Ironduke81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Damn Lawyers.  

I am really impressed by the off season work by Rotroff and KD's comments about him. He really played well the end of last season.  I am looking to this season as his break out year.  I am also high on Acuff, but don't understand the lack of mention about him.  We will hopefully see for ourselves soon.  Go Dukes!

8/24/2020 9:55 am  #25

CLK wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Damn Lawyers.  

I am really impressed by the off season work by Rotroff and KD's comments about him. He really played well the end of last season.  I am looking to this season as his break out year.  I am also high on Acuff, but don't understand the lack of mention about him.  We will hopefully see for ourselves soon.  Go Dukes!

I think the lack of mention about Acuff is related to the fact that his role is currently undefined. We're deep and experienced in the backcourt. While we're hoping for a contribution from him, what I'm really hoping for is a big year from Sincere, consistent production off the bench from TDM, and for Lamar, and Maceo to take that step forward. If Acuff ends up playing more than a supporting role, that likely means one of those other guys has failed. What I'd really like to see from Acuff is for him to be able to handle the point well enough to get Sincere's minutes under 30 a game.

Last edited by duq81 (8/24/2020 10:00 am)

Board footera